Skies of Arcadia sequel - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3610 Views )

ZamIAm
1500th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Mon 11 Apr 12:34post reply

Has SEGA mentioned anything about this since they announced it a while back or is it pretty much canned before it has started?

They're outsourcing Elmo and putting Cookie Monster on a diet...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

Replies:

Gojira
1675th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Mon 11 Apr 14:36post reply

quote:
Has SEGA mentioned anything about this since they announced it a while back or is it pretty much canned before it has started?

IIRC it got canned back when Sega started consolidating their divisions into one formless entity.

Off with your nose

Iggy
6276th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Mon 11 Apr 16:37post reply

quote:
IIRC it got canned

Thank god.
I'll never understand the popularity of this game. I guess it was one of the only RPG on DC, so it became instantly excellent?

For me it was one of the worst RPG I've ever played, and it's coming from someone playing Shadow Heart 1 right now.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

Adon
1505th Post

"Re(3):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Mon 11 Apr 16:41:post reply

quote:
IIRC it got canned
Thank god.
I'll never understand the popularity of this game. I guess it was one of the only RPG on DC, so it became instantly excellent?

For me it was one of the worst RPG I've ever played, and it's coming from someone playing Shadow Heart 1 right now.

I guess you would not be to impressed that I cos-played Vyse..? The question is now am I that impressed that I did that. Otakon 2k1> to program quide 2k2 ok I think I said enough

[this message was edited by Adon on Mon 11 Apr 16:42]

Amakusa
602th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 00:21post reply

quote:

For me it was one of the worst RPG I've ever played,

Stop using that GameFAQs trash to cover your ass, you know that's not true.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Iggy
6284th Post

"Re(4):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 00:25post reply

quote:
Stop using that GameFAQs trash to cover your ass, you know that's not true.

OK, ok, you're right, I actually enjoy Shadow Hearts pretty much.

And I think the 10 minutes of Parasite Eve 2 might have been worse than Arcadia, but I'm not sure PE2 can be considered as an RPG. An I've heard it was better after those 10 minutes.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

Rid
6556th Post

"Re(5):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 00:50post reply

quote:
it was better after those 10 minutes.
It gets entertaining after you pass the retarded intro part in that tower.

Gojira
1676th Post

"Re(3):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 03:30post reply

quote:
IIRC it got canned
Thank god.

Pirates. Nobody will fondly remember the cruddy battle engine, or the needlessly long and boring dungeon layouts, or the typecast main characters, but when it comes down to it, PIRATES ARE AEWSOME

Off with your nose

Nate
495th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 04:05post reply

quote:

Pirates. Nobody will fondly remember the cruddy battle engine, or the needlessly long and boring dungeon layouts, or the typecast main characters, but when it comes down to it, PIRATES ARE AEWSOME

You forgot to mention the annoyingly high encounter rate. Unless I'm thinking of another game.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Iggy
6287th Post

"Re(5):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 04:30post reply

The pirate factor must not be working for me.
All I saw was a stupid scenario with really ugly generic characters. And yeah, boring fights.
There was a short timespan where it seemed that all the RPG looked like bad anime, or more exactly foreigners trying to do anime style design because they're so hip with thoses kids. Arcadia is maybe the worst offender design wise. I swear I'll remember the heroin until the day I die.
But yeah, it was also awfully written.
It's hard for me to decide wether the characters or the scenario were the worse. Of course, the game around was bad, but man, the scenario... and oh, the characters... And...
Oh, well. The point is nothing will have a sequel, and it's fine the way it is.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

ZamIAm
1502th Post

"Re(6):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 07:49post reply

quote:
The pirate factor must not be working for me.
All I saw was a stupid scenario with really ugly generic characters. And yeah, boring fights.
There was a short timespan where it seemed that all the RPG looked like bad anime, or more exactly foreigners trying to do anime style design because they're so hip with thoses kids. Arcadia is maybe the worst offender design wise. I swear I'll remember the heroin until the day I die.
But yeah, it was also awfully written.
It's hard for me to decide wether the characters or the scenario were the worse. Of course, the game around was bad, but man, the scenario... and oh, the characters... And...
Oh, well. The point is nothing will have a sequel, and it's fine the way it is.

I liked the old school simplicity of the game and yeah, pirates own you all, but I can see why someone might not like it (coughrandombattlescough).

They're outsourcing Elmo and putting Cookie Monster on a diet...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?

Evenor
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 07:54post reply

Skies of Arcadia was alright. It was the only RPG I ever owned for DC. I liked how could discover things for cash and how you recruit members for your ship, but high encounter rate was pretty annoying at times.

Also, Cupil owns your soul.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Spoon
881th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:06post reply

Someone tell me what Skies of Arcadia is about. All I've ever known is that you have a flying airship of pirates, and that it was brilliantly pirated.

ZamIAm
1505th Post

"brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:38post reply

quote:
Someone tell me what Skies of Arcadia is about. All I've ever known is that you have a flying airship of pirates, and that it was brilliantly pirated.

There's two factions of pirates: the standard ransack and pillage type and (the hero's) Robin Hood-esque stealing only from those who deserve it and/or have a massively fair chance of winning. Basically they find a small defenseless ship being attacked by Spain er... the royal armada. They rescue the pilot discover her mission--stop the royal armada from unleashing the "really big and powerful ancient weapon that was hidden away with good reason". Only there's six of the dang things lying around, OOPS! The pirates get their "save the world" mojo on, discover the world is round instead of flat, initiate love triangles, get beat down by Moby Dick, make jokes about overcompensation and ultimately defeat the grey hair bishonen "I'm not evil" guy who wan't to purge the world by blowing it up/dropping a space station on it.

Evenor
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:44post reply

Who was that guy with a padlock on his crotch?
I remember he would always try to have sex with that pippy longstcking look-a-like girl.

He was cool.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Momo
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Skies of Arcadia sequel" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:55post reply

Skies of Arcadia was a very very generic game, but it did make me feel like a MIGHTY IBERIAN EXPLORER.

and that's something I will treasure forever.

I'm a regular MOMO DE GAMA

Spoon
882th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 09:40post reply

quote:
discover the world is round instead of flat, get beat down by Moby Dick,

This sounds awesome.

Pollyanna
1004th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 09:48post reply

quote:
I remember he would always try to have sex with that pippy longstcking look-a-like girl.

He was cool.

WOW. This needs to be a game in itself. (as long as he never actually HAS sex)

Kaepora
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 11:40post reply

quote:

He was cool.

That was Vigoro. He was part of the Armada. I never noticed the padlock before.

Phoenix
784th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 13:08post reply

Well if the high encounter rate bothers you then why not play the Legends version on GC? OT: Now that I'm done with Ninja Gaiden, I must finish MGS3 before Legends. I like the character designs personally.

Time Mage
2090th Post

"Re(5):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 17:42post reply

I've played Legends, and I love the game.

Sure, if you analyze it objectively, the only innovation it has is the airship battles (that are great), but this game had that "something" that makes a game good:
The story is generic, yes. The characters are archetypical (but except Fina, from good to great in my opinion). The battle system has little variety (but surprisingly works). The graphics are so-so (but has personality). The music is forgettable (except a few ones), etc, etc, etc. Nearly every "bad" or "typical" aspect of the game has something that makes it instantly better than what it should have been. Specially the characters: Drachma is one of the best RPG characters ever made, and the villians are all great, but Vyse, Aika and Enrique are also good.

So, yes, SoA is a "mediocre" RPG. But it's great, despite of that. Strange, but true.

Phoenix
785th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 17:55post reply

I seem to remember an insert credit review on SOA that said pretty much the same thing. Well, except longer.

Time Mage
2091th Post

"Re(7):brilliant pirating" , posted Tue 12 Apr 18:27post reply

quote:
I seem to remember an insert credit review on SOA that said pretty much the same thing. Well, except longer.

Yeah, I usually disagree with IC reviews in several aspects (they try to be too... "different", many times without a reason), but with this one I agreed wholeheartedly. I guess SoA has "mojo".

Also, the fact that I played Legends means less random battles (thank god, they were high enough in Legends), and the possibility to skip the special attack secuences instead of having to view them entirely each and every time you used them.

Gojira
1679th Post

"Re(8):brilliant pirating" , posted Wed 13 Apr 02:56post reply

quote:

Also, the fact that I played Legends means less random battles (thank god, they were high enough in Legends), and the possibility to skip the special attack secuences instead of having to view them entirely each and every time you used them.

You could do that in SoA too, but the interface was silly. For many attacks, if you failed to press start immediately you missed your chance to skip the attack.

Off with your nose