Anticipated games that suck - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3859 Views )

Fuchikoma
1247th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 14:41post reply

Now that Red Ninja is finally out... and confirmed to be sucky... I've noticed this is a pretty disturbing trend lately.

A game is announced... it's a cool concept... a good developer... nice graphics... but then it just plain sucks. Death by Degrees was supposed to be an awesome game that explores Nina's character... but you have ass controls with the right analog and just general crumbiness. Then there's DBZ Sagas... after the success of Budokai 3 things were looking up... and a free roaming 3D DBZ sounded like it could be really fun... but of course again it was ruined by poor controls.

Last year saw some major letdowns as well... Crimson Tears... Doom 3... Onimusha Blade Warriors... Sonic Heroes... CFE (well I don't think anyone expected that to be good).

I think the main thing that's got so many of these games down is poor controls... they spend time making a story, nice graphics and so forth... but then it's either awkward or boring to play. I mean if we can't trust Namco, Capcom, or even Sega to make a good game... who can we trust?

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3339th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Well..." , posted Sat 9 Apr 15:00post reply

I don't know, but my most anticipated game (DMC3), blew up my expectatives, which were pretty high to begin with.

In any case, I've played PoP2 WW, for like 10 grand minutes since I bought it some months ago, and I haven't touched it ever since (I played up to the first boss, the one on the ship). Man, what a letdown... ugly graphics, stupid music (I mean, the first one had electric guitar sounds, but were so nicely done and at the right time, but this one had heavy metal since the beginning!), and I didn't notice any change on the combat system, it was as clunky as before. Oh, and why our Prince is now all dark and gritty?

If you guys have played the game more than I did, tell me if it gets better after the first stage (ship), because right now I don't want to touch it.

Hagen de Merak
884th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Well..." , posted Sat 9 Apr 15:18post reply

quote:
I don't know, but my most anticipated game (DMC3), blew up my expectatives, which were pretty high to begin with.

In any case, I've played PoP2 WW, for like 10 grand minutes since I bought it some months ago, and I haven't touched it ever since (I played up to the first boss, the one on the ship). Man, what a letdown... ugly graphics, stupid music (I mean, the first one had electric guitar sounds, but were so nicely done and at the right time, but this one had heavy metal since the beginning!), and I didn't notice any change on the combat system, it was as clunky as before. Oh, and why our Prince is now all dark and gritty?

If you guys have played the game more than I did, tell me if it gets better after the first stage (ship), because right now I don't want to touch it.

the reason you dont like metal is because you like shitty mexican music. i mean come on man, queering dont make the world work.

Baines
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 15:33post reply

I'm not sure why anyone would have anticipated Death by Degrees to be a good game. The concept alone screams "iffy," and every bit of pre-release news was a further nail in any chance of it being better than mediocre. (Bone breaking x-rays, right analog attacks, weak story elements, and even the screenshots weren't anything special.) Or look at Tekken Force mode.

The free roaming 3D DBZ is exactly what I'd expect after seeing and playing the PS2 fighters. The fighters were so so at best, popular mainly due to the license. And a free roaming 3D game is only going to emphasize problems.

Doom 3 is an iffy case. On one hand, you could look at Id being a company that delivers an engine primarily, which everyone else turns into decent games. On the other hand, you still might expect them to not completely forget everything good about the prior Doom games.

Trusting Sega to make a good game? Sega is only a shell of its former self, and wasn't always the paragon of game design even before they left the console business. Sonic Heroes is only the next logical step in the decline of the Sonic franchise, though it had the added twist of actually getting worse as it was worked on. And shows that Sega has little to no clue what to do. Who knows how low Shadow the Hedgehog will sink.

Capcom has had its share of poor games. Blade Warriors was anticipated perhaps mainly because people don't think party fighters (ala Smash Bros) are hard to make. On the other hand, I can't think of any company that has tried and succeeded at such a game other than Nintendo/HAL. (Dream Fighters needs a lot more polish and better design. Same goes for Rumble Arena.)

ONSLAUGHT
3340th Post

"Re(2):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 15:38post reply

quote:
I can't think of any company that has tried and succeeded at such a game other than Nintendo/HAL.

This is an insult to Power Stone

Fuchikoma
1249th Post

"Re(3):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 16:21:post reply

I had seen the reviews of Warrior Within... so I guess I knew what I was going into from the start. Right off the bat... yeah the music is dumb and the gore is totally out of character. HOWEVER, once you make it through your first chase sequence... you'll be hooked. They've also dractically improved the combat system and put in some really incredible (and frustrating) boss battles. I also think the story of WW is better than SOT... just a really great story about how you can't change fate... or can you? :) My major gripe about WW though has to be the multiple endings... if you played through without a faq (like I did) you'll later find out you got the bad ending because you didn't unlock something... and to me it wasn't worth going through the whole game again just to see the good ending.

Speaking of 4 player fighting games... boy was Guilty Gear Isuka a let down... easily the worst in the series.

And what about Goldeneye: Rogue Agent? It was supposed to be the revival of the first great console FPS (albeit by a different company)... but backed by official voices and some slick CG... but what did we land up with? Bland environments with poor textures teamed up with guns that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Even Square has been doing this... I mean they get the rights to Full Metal Alchemist before it even starts to air... and they released not one, but two really crappy FMA games. Just slow, boring... and not very fun to play even if you are a fan of the show.

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Sat 9 Apr 16:42]

EddyT
467th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 16:47post reply

I agree that Crimson Tears was a major letdown. DreamFactory's curse continues, having not made a game that was more than visual eye candy after Tobal No. 2.

I anticipated Death by Degrees to be a bad game, but was hoping for the best. It's better than DOA Beach Volleyball, at least.

Doom 3 was actually fun for me. A lot of people complained about the PDA stuff being kind of a hinderance to the game, and I agree... but it's still fun to experience. It still makes me gibb my pants with all the scary stuff.

Halo 2 was a slight disappointment for me. The multiplayer wasn't as fun as the previous game, and the texture pop-up during single-player mode was a surprise.

I think I had nicer surprises than disappointments recently... Tekken 5 turned out to be much better than I thought. I had fun with Katamari Damashii and OutRun2, two games I wouldn't have given a chance had it not been for my friend who recommended those titles to me.

Iggy
6265th Post

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 17:17post reply

/|:: ┌──────┐ ::|
  /.  |:: | The first    |  ::|
  |.... |:: |  post of  | ::|
  |.... |:: | this thread | ::|
  |.... |:: └──────┘ ::|
  \_|    ┌────┐   .|     ∧∧
      ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄     (  _)
             / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄旦 ̄(_,   )
            /             \  `
           | ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|、_)
             ̄| ̄| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄| ̄| ̄

|           .( ( | |\
     | )           ) ) | | .|
     |________(__| .\|
    /―   ∧ ∧  ――-\≒
  /      (    )       \
  | ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ |
  |______________|

∧∧
  (  ・ω・)
  _| ⊃/(___
/ └-(____/
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

<⌒/ヽ-、___
/<_/____/

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

Undead Fred
2283th Post

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 17:33post reply

quote:
Doom 3
What???? Jesus, man... Doom 3 was excellent. I'll keep my fanboy crap to a minimum, but man... I loved Doom 3. Aside from the beautiful graphics, it had a great story and CLASSIC gameplay in every way... it was great seeing old demon types return right and left as well. The atmosphere was very very creepy, and the controls and overall game ran smooth as silk and stayed interesting throughout. The best part was that it felt new and enjoyable, while totally staying true to the previous games, not only in story, but gameplay as well. The only things I could complain about were the SoulCube and the very small collection of multiplayer levels (but still, the game's supposed to really emphasize the single player experience, so I can't complain too much about that part). The SoulCube isn't that much of a problem, though- it makes things a lot easier after you get it, but you don't HAVE to use it if you don't want to. And the PDA's supplement the stories very well... they don't interfere at all with the action. Of course, you wouldn't pull the PDA out and read e-mails when you're in the middle of a firefight, but when you're in the clear for a moment, it really adds to the backstory and enhances the atmosphere. No complaints there.

Now the expansion pack, on the other hand... that I was disappointed with. The double barrel was awesome of course, and we get more multiplayer options now, but losing the chainsaw for the Gravity Gun Grabber and the new stupid Artifact ("Hell Time" is TOTALLY different from Bullet Time, you know) hurt the game... as well as a much much less developed story and crappy ending. The problem with the Artifact is that it's extremely cheap: it activates "Hell Time," which slows everything down to a crawl and you eventually get more and more add-on powers to it which make it even more ridiculous... and it's powered by human souls, which are found E V E R Y W H E R E in the game (all those dead bodies littered around the game are now ammo). Plus, the Grabber and the Artifact are sold as being "puzzle-solving weapons" or whatever in the reviews I've read, but that particular use dies out within the first stage of the expansion. So they're pretty much worthless in terms of NEEDING them in the game. Especially when it hurts the "classic Doom" feel and forces you to lose a classic Doom weapon by default- the chainsaw. I love new weapons, but not when they're gimmicky and replace the old-school weapons I actually like using.

So, in MY opinion, Doom 3 is VERY good, but the expansion pack is really lacking.

THE END

A smartest essay ever by Undead Fred.

Dragon-warrior
1250th Post

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 18:21:post reply

quote:
A game is announced... a good developer... nice graphics...
Last year saw some major letdowns as well...CFE (well I don't think anyone expected that to be good).

who can we trust?

thank god i didn't burn my money on CFE,i only trust Blizzard (even though i didn't buy WoW i am not a MMORPG player) SE was good but they are doing hell alot of crappy games latley(Drakengard, Musashi2 ,FF:CC,FMA)they do have some promising games "hopefully" (DQ8 , KH2, FF12,G3,RS).
these days i only wait for the AAA titles that are 100% good and all people recommend.
what i really hate is milking the series i mean come on how many FF7 sequaels do we have 4 or 5 ? i wounder why is it so god dam hard to make a new game these days , how different was it from the SN PS1 era.

[this message was edited by Dragon-warrior on Sat 9 Apr 18:26]

HARO
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 21:43post reply

Doom was a lot of fun. It had great atmosphere and really got my adrenaline pumping. It gets way too easy once you have the soul cube though.

As for main topic of this post... Metal Gear 3 hands down. I can't believe this inherently flawed game got good reviews.

KTallguy
599th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 23:35post reply

quote:
As for main topic of this post... Metal Gear 3 hands down. I can't believe this inherently flawed game got good reviews.

Explain.

quote:
Speaking of 4 player fighting games... boy was Guilty Gear Isuka a let down... easily the worst in the series.

Explain.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Ammadeau
1316th Post

"Re(4):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sat 9 Apr 23:47post reply

The only game for me in remotely recent memory would be Halo 2, and I really, really should have known better in that case anyway. I tend to be surprised more than not, like recently with Spikeout. A great game that not nearly enough people are playing online. With 58 characters there's got to be someone you'll like.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Rid
6552th Post

"Re(3):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 00:39post reply

quote:
I can't think of any company that has tried and succeeded at such a game other than Nintendo/HAL.

And to Rakugaki Showtime by Treasure.

Fuchikoma
1250th Post

"Re(4):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 02:40:post reply

Oh yeah! Now Rakugaki Showtime is a great example of how you can make something simple, but incredibly original. That game had everything... green ninjas, puking aliens, gigantic super attacks... I may even like that game better than the smash bros series.

I stand by my statement that GG Isuka is the worst in the series... it was just not meant to be a 4 player fighting game. The main gimmick to Guilty Gear is the high rez sprites... that look terrible being scaled to fit 4 people on the screen. You have to press a button to turn around. Switching fields just didn't feel as right as it did in the Fatal Fury games and I often got trapped in a corner. The PS2 port was even worst with that lame beat em up they made.

Now about Doom 3, perhaps suck is too harsh of a word. Major letdown is probably better to describe it. Yes Doom 3 has some genuinely scary moments, yes the graphics are absolutely amazing, yes the story is not quite bad. My one huge gripe though... why the hell can't you hold the flashlight and shoot at the same time? So many times I just found myself emptying a clip into total darkness... luckily there are mods for the game to have a flashlight mounted on your weapons. I think the pacing of the game turned me off too... it was just too slow. The old Doom games were blazing... Doom 3 was too many gun battles down corridors. Doom 3= shoot some undead guys, get killed by some freaking demon that blows out of wall, go back to save point and repeat. I don't think it lived up to the anticipation at all.

[this message was edited by Fuchikoma on Sun 10 Apr 02:51]

Amakusa
601th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 03:07post reply

quote:
I mean if we can't trust Namco, Capcom, or even Sega to make a good game... who can we trust?

Research the games you want to play. I researched the hell out of Star Ocean Till the End of Time long before it was domestically released, and I'm STILL playing it to this day.

Contrast that to what I did with World of Warcraft. I got in the beta test and blew a couple months worth of time on it before it finally dawned on me that this was Diablo 2 in shiny new packaging. The environment may be different, but the people are the same item-hoarding 'you must fulfill your perceived role or you suck' players. I got caught up in the hype surrounding the game and it nearly consumed me. I quit playing at the end of January and I don't quite regret it.

The thing is, I am a picky player. I can't afford to buy just anything anymore, because a) a lot of it is proving to be real crap, and b) I have a real job with which to devote most of my week to. So you have two examples where you pick what you know you like and pick something that is hyped to be something you would like. It is VERY easy to fall into the latter, and consequently I think 80% of the gaming market is catered to complete idiots.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Burning Ranger
1156th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 04:22post reply

SvC Chaos stands as a good example for me. I wanted to play an SNK-made VS game since I was more of an SNK fan--but the game just blew. Guilty Gear Isuka was also a big letdown too.

My opinion on Doom 3 was mixed. The multiplayer definitely sucked for two reasons. One: everything felt so cramped in the game. Second: I guess my machine just couldn't handle multiplayer well, so iD should have had better support. Hell, Half-Life2 MP runs a hell of a lot better on my PC.

Other games... hmmm... I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but surely there have been disappointments.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Undead Fred
2285th Post

"Re(5):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 04:34post reply

quote:
Now about Doom 3, perhaps suck is too harsh of a word. Major letdown is probably better to describe it. Yes Doom 3 has some genuinely scary moments, yes the graphics are absolutely amazing, yes the story is not quite bad. My one huge gripe though... why the hell can't you hold the flashlight and shoot at the same time? So many times I just found myself emptying a clip into total darkness... luckily there are mods for the game to have a flashlight mounted on your weapons. I think the pacing of the game turned me off too... it was just too slow. The old Doom games were blazing... Doom 3 was too many gun battles down corridors. Doom 3= shoot some undead guys, get killed by some freaking demon that blows out of wall, go back to save point and repeat. I don't think it lived up to the anticipation at all.

Well, as far as the flashlight goes, look at it this way- which one makes you more nervous, having the lights go out and having to switch between being able to see and being able to shoot, or being able to see and shoot at all times? I don't think it was like that because they didn't think to make them both available at once, but instead it was intentional to make you even more nervous when the lights went out.

I don't know, I didn't have that much trouble in the dark areas. Most of the time you had to have a flashlight out to see at all, your only threat were zombies, which you could just whack in the head with the flashlight. Other areas with more serious threats had SOME light (or an NPC lighting the way) that you could use to see and fire.

Pollyanna
991th Post

"Re(6):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 05:17post reply

I can understand people being disappointed with Isuka, but really...what the hell were you expecting? I can't imagine someone getting the game and being surprised/disappointed.

I can totally understand someone saying "GG wasn't meant to be 4 player" or "It's not as good as XX", but it was a gimmick and if the alternative is nothing at all, then I think it was a worthwhile release.

As for my massive disappointment...Silent Hill 4. I even liked it when it started, but I can't imagine anyone liking the game very much by the end.

Baines
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 05:28post reply

quote:

I should have said relatively 2D party fighter. It wasn't that I forgot Power Stone, I consider it separate kind of fighter. The difference between mostly 2D and fairly free roam 3D is actually pretty major. There have been a few 3D Power Stone-ish games that have been decent to good. Rakugaki Showtime falls into that catagory as well, from what I recall? I haven't seen it for years though.

Undead Fred
2286th Post

"Re(7):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 05:41post reply

quote:
As for my massive disappointment...Silent Hill 4. I even liked it when it started, but I can't imagine anyone liking the game very much by the end.

I agree there. The actual graphics were nice and all, but it felt VERY rushed (I know it wasn't originally meant to be a real SH game, but it still had kinks in it). The story was pretty empty, and there was very little character development. And the "crowd pleaser"/ empty referencing to the previous games just bugged the hell out of me. "Mr. SUNDERLAND owns this building! *WINK!* I hear he has a son that disappeared? *WINK!!*" Plus, other than two monster types, the monster designs just weren't that great.

There were elements of the game that I liked (like screwing around the apartment, Building World, Apartment World, and of course, Mr. Braintree) and it's not like it wasn't ever creepy, but it was still a huge letdown. I could go on, but I'll stop there. Heh heh.

Hungrywolf
3012th Post

"Re(4):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 09:25post reply

quote:
And what about Goldeneye: Rogue Agent? It was supposed to be the revival of the first great console FPS (albeit by a different company)... but backed by official voices and some slick CG... but what did we land up with? Bland environments with poor textures teamed up with guns that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I liked Rogue Agent. The only similarity with Goldeneye though was that it was called Goldeneye and is an FPS. I think the name just made people expect it to be related to Goldeneye when there really was no relation whatsoever. I thoroughly enjoy the games single and multiplayer though. I haven't really had a problem with the guns in the game, either.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Gojira
1674th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 09:59post reply

Death by Degrees pretty much topped it for me. I wasn't expecting anything grand, but I sure wasn't expecting something THIS bad, with the bad loading and laggy menus and intrusive camera angles.

Off with your nose

EddyT
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 10:56:post reply

quote:
SvC Chaos stands as a good example for me. I wanted to play an SNK-made VS game since I was more of an SNK fan--but the game just blew. Guilty Gear Isuka was also a big letdown too.

I was going to list that game, but I thought we were just discussing games released within a year's time that was disappointing. The biggest letdowns I've experienced for games would be SvC, Super Mario Sunshine, and Double Dragon for NES.

Especially Double Dragon for NES. I felt like I got kicked in the nuts when I played that game for the first time.
Was so disappointed that it was nowhere near as fun as the arcade version.

Technos made up for that with Double Dragon Advance, though. Worth the 10 year wait.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Sun 10 Apr 10:57]

ShadowSonic
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 13:14post reply

quote:
Sonic Heroes

Will someone please tell me why everyone thinks Sonic Heroes is a major letdown? I played through the game with all the teams, and I liked it a lot better than Sonic Adventure 2.

Heck, I read the same stuff at Sonic fansites and it really baffles me.

Where darkness turns to light and order turns to chaos. 2003.

KTallguy
600th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 14:35post reply

quote:

Will someone please tell me why everyone thinks Sonic Heroes is a major letdown? I played through the game with all the teams, and I liked it a lot better than Sonic Adventure 2.

I think the problem with Sonic is that it was so much more interesting and cooler when you were a kid. I still play Sonic 1, 2, 3 and enjoy it. But they made it into this Saturday Morning Cartoon crap and alienated the people who loved Sonic back in tha' day, at the same time alienating most kids over 12.

I have yet to play Heros though, does that mentality change?

Oh and Isuka isn't such a bad game when you get used to the direction switching and the plane jumping. It's hard to say whether XX is a 'better' game or not. They are both largely the same but with the beat-em-up elements and two new characters. The girl with the Key is fricking strong if you're good.

I don't think it's such a horrible game, I play it with 4 people and it's fun, but it does take some getting used to, especially at first.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

ShadowSonic
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 14:51post reply

quote:

I think the problem with Sonic is that it was so much more interesting and cooler when you were a kid. I still play Sonic 1, 2, 3 and enjoy it. But they made it into this Saturday Morning Cartoon crap and alienated the people who loved Sonic back in tha' day, at the same time alienating most kids over 12.

I have yet to play Heros though, does that mentality change?

Hard to say. The story and dialogues aren't exactly rocket science, so it's probably safe to say that it IS aimed at a younger audience - but I do think Heroes has enough stuff to draw in the old players as well.

Heck, I've been playing Sonic since the beginning, and I was very satisfied with how Heroes turned out. Although admittedly the PS2 port was quite bad. -_-

Where darkness turns to light and order turns to chaos. 2003.

Zepy
1042th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 16:32post reply

I used to anticipate Duel Savior. I played the demo and I thought the side scrolling battle system was awesome. Then the game came out and the battles are all stupid and short. And the storywriting is shit. Craaap.

Spoon
876th Post

"Re(6):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 17:19post reply

quote:
I don't know, I didn't have that much trouble in the dark areas. Most of the time you had to have a flashlight out to see at all, your only threat were zombies, which you could just whack in the head with the flashlight. Other areas with more serious threats had SOME light (or an NPC lighting the way) that you could use to see and fire.

Besides, there are a lot of ways to use what light there is to fight... the simplest trick is being aware of the environment lights that you can see, and when any gets covered, shoot that spot. Even if the light isn't illuminating the room, if you could see it but can't see some of it anymore (and considering the sharp edges that are enemy models, it's a sharp contrast), it means something's there. Of course, this doesn't apply when your environment is TRULY pitch black...

Undead Fred
2290th Post

"Re(7):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Sun 10 Apr 17:38post reply

quote:
Besides, there are a lot of ways to use what light there is to fight... the simplest trick is being aware of the environment lights that you can see, and when any gets covered, shoot that spot. Even if the light isn't illuminating the room, if you could see it but can't see some of it anymore (and considering the sharp edges that are enemy models, it's a sharp contrast), it means something's there. Of course, this doesn't apply when your environment is TRULY pitch black...

Heh heh... plus, there's the "keep moving and shoot where fireballs appear" method as well (when it gets too dark).

Spoon
877th Post

"Re(8):Anticipated games that suck" , posted Mon 11 Apr 01:39post reply

quote:
Heh heh... plus, there's the "keep moving and shoot where fireballs appear" method as well (when it gets too dark).

I think that while Doom 3 had a lot of things I didn't like, I have to admit that I was really impressed when I tried to shoot the black sillhouette of an Imp... only to realize that it was the shadow cast by the light of the Imp's own fireball. That was genuinely awesome.