1077th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 03:45:post reply

Link here

Powerfull Girls Z.

Poster

Character shots

I don't know what to say. Do the Japanese have April Fools Day? Cause that "Z" really doesn't seem right.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Mon 4 Apr 03:46]

Replies:

Hungrywolf
3011th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 03:50post reply

quote:
Link here

Powerfull Girls Z.

Poster

Character shots

I don't know what to say. Do the Japanese have April Fools Day? Cause that "Z" really doesn't seem right.

I don't know how I feel about this. It could be good. It could be awful.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Spoon
863th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 03:54post reply

quote:

Character shots

Caesar Zepelli!

Undead Fred
2272th Post

"Re(2):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 04:05post reply

quote:

I don't know how I feel about this.
It looks cute... but it's definitely WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Dr Baghead
3410th Post

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 04:08post reply

quote:
Cause that "Z" really doesn't seem right.

The "Z" sorta makes sense considering PPG is an American property... it's probably a DBZ reference, as DBZ screams "anime" to any mainstream fan calling it "PPG Z" will do the same (also there's the chance it's an actual homage to Dragon Ball being split into DB and DBZ in animation form, since if the girls are older as it appears, going from [no letter] to Z follows the same arc)

... the thing that makes it seem fake to me is the Professor's design on that Poster, I mean what the hell! He went from being Dave from Alvin in the Chipmunks, to extreme femmy looking Dave from Alvin in the Chipmunks, to Future Boy Dective Conan?

slightly on topic:
If anime PPG is your thing this comics not so bad:
http://bleedman.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=0

it started off much better then it is now, when it went all JLU and decide it'd rather cram as many cameos as possible in rather then make any sense... quanity over quality! that's what matters to people these days in terms of characters!

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Undead Fred
2273th Post

"Re(2):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 04:25post reply

quote:
it started off much better then it is now, when it went all JLU and decide it'd rather cram as many cameos as possible in rather then make any sense... quanity over quality! that's what matters to people these days in terms of characters!

Are you talking about the US show here? I haven't watched the show in years... since it sort of changed. I was pretty sure Craig McCracken had sort of stopped working on the show, or someone else had more or less taken over the show, since... man, I can't even really describe it. It went from not taking itself seriously and even sort of making fun of those goofy "pixie dust and rainbows" kinds of girly cartoons to being a "role model/ YOU GO GRRRRL" type of show. Not really the best wording, though.... but it definitely changed and I didn't really like it.

But anyway, if someone's going to make it into an anime, I'd rather it be the Japanese making it for their home audience instead of the US doing it just as a stupid gimmick. I'm sure it will show up in the States at some point, but as long as it's not some goofy HAY GUYZ ITS A AMINE NOWWWW gimmick, then I won't have a problem.

Dr Baghead
3411th Post

"Re(3):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 04:44post reply

quote:
quote:

Are you talking about the US show here? I haven't watched the show in years... since it sort of changed. I was pretty sure Craig McCracken had sort of stopped working on the show, or someone else had more or less taken over the show, since... man, I can't even really describe it. It went from not taking itself seriously and even sort of making fun of those goofy "pixie dust and rainbows" kinds of girly cartoons to being a "role model/ YOU GO GRRRRL" type of show. Not really the best wording, though.... but it definitely changed and I didn't really like it.

I was actually talking about Bleedman's PPG fan comic when I said it started off good then went all JLU...

but I do feel the same way about the American show, it started out rather nice but after the movie the backgrounds and animation started looking like shit, the writing wasn't as clever, and the girls all went from having personality to being extreme one note stereotypes (Blossom=smart, Buttercup=punches shit, Bubbles=fucking annoying), Bubbles voice got SUPER high pitched and they used that ultra annoying "Strobe heart" from the movie at the end of each episode instead of the easier to look at hand drawn one from the older episodes...

only good thing about the newer episodes was Ace and Mojo's movie designs were used in place of their older ones, both of which I think had a lot more character to them.

Undead Fred
2274th Post

"Re(4):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 04:58post reply

quote:
but I do feel the same way about the American show, it started out rather nice but after the movie the backgrounds and animation started looking like shit, the writing wasn't as clever, and the girls all went from having personality to being extreme one note stereotypes (Blossom=smart, Buttercup=punches shit, Bubbles=fucking annoying), Bubbles voice got SUPER high pitched and they used that ultra annoying "Strobe heart" from the movie at the end of each episode instead of the easier to look at hand drawn one from the older episodes...

only good thing about the newer episodes was Ace and Mojo's movie designs were used in place of their older ones, both of which I think had a lot more character to them.

Yeah, I think that was pretty much what screwed the show up... the release of the movie. I sort of liked the movie, but I haven't liked Tartakovsky's work since he went on to Samurai Jack (the cheesy acting and over-dramatic stuff showed up in the movie), and as you said, the style of art direction took over the show as well... which wasn't a good thing if you ask me. And of course, the writing changed as well, and all of the good stuff from the original show was eventually removed. Ah, well... all of the Cartoon Cartoons I really liked have gone the same way (Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls). IT MAKES ME SAAAAD

Cain Highwind
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 06:00post reply

quote:

Yeah, I think that was pretty much what screwed the show up... the release of the movie. I sort of liked the movie, but I haven't liked Tartakovsky's work since he went on to Samurai Jack (the cheesy acting and over-dramatic stuff showed up in the movie), and as you said, the style of art direction took over the show as well... which wasn't a good thing if you ask me. And of course, the writing changed as well, and all of the good stuff from the original show was eventually removed. Ah, well... all of the Cartoon Cartoons I really liked have gone the same way (Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls). IT MAKES ME SAAAAD

First off, I LIKE Tartakovsky's work in Samurai Jack and Star Wars Clone Wars (of course the parody in Duck Dodgers was just as clever). I dunno,I guess I just enjoy the artstyle and some of the work that goes into the battle scenes.

For that matter, I haven't seen the PPG movie at all. I never realized the characters changed so much, but then I haven't really caught all the new episodes and of course they haven't really shown them lately either.

I too, read Bleedman PPG Fan comics and I have to say I like Bleedman's designs better than this. Buttercup kind of reminds me of an SD Leona for some reason, and Bubbles actually looks similar to Bleedman's Bubbles. I don't like the design for the Professor. Like Baghead said, he kinda looks like Conan, not at all like the Father figure he is originally (if he's supposed to be the same age, that just wouldn't be right).

Oh and nice Banner Baghead. EXCELLENT! *guitar riffs*

Dr Baghead
3412th Post

"Re(6):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 13:40post reply

quote:
Buttercup kind of reminds me of an SD Leona for some reason.

actually, wow that's freaky now that you mention it she DOES look a lot like SD Leona... the exact same hair in the character shot, and she has a similar coat, and her dress is the same length as Leona's shorts, and since the PPG are kids she has the same bulid as SD Leona too... I think that made her design ten times better in my book

These really aren't much different from Bleedman's in terms of change, Bleedman just stayed a little more true to their original designs which earns him more points. But at least 'real anime' Mojo Jojo looks like Mojo Jojo... I don't what the hell was up with Bleedman's Mojo, it didn't look OR talk a damn thing like the real one (seemed more like a confused flasher Beastboy in moneky form.)

quote:
Oh and nice Banner Baghead. EXCELLENT! *guitar riffs*

Thanks for the most rightous praise for my banner, most non-heinous of you for sure.

Undead Fred
2276th Post

"Re(7):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 14:30post reply

quote:
These really aren't much different from Bleedman's in terms of change, Bleedman just stayed a little more true to their original designs which earns him more points. But at least 'real anime' Mojo Jojo looks like Mojo Jojo... I don't what the hell was up with Bleedman's Mojo, it didn't look OR talk a damn thing like the real one (seemed more like a confused flasher Beastboy in moneky form.)

Yeah, the human face on a monkey character in Bleedman's version just looked weird. And it took me a minute to realize that that guy on the cover was Dexter from Dexter's Lab... that was even weirder to me than the human face Mojo.

But anyway, the anime versions look about how I'd expect them to look... I'd expect their designs to change a little when going overseas (as in, adapted to another market by people from the particular country it's going to). They still come across as Powerpuff Girls, but they aren't a simple "change the regular Powerpuff face to anime style and we're all done here."

Sano
1667th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 14:59post reply

At least in the PP Anime thay are drawn better. I personally can't stand the look Power Puff Girls. It looks like fifth graders worked on the character designs. Well, the target audience is fifth graders I guess.

And Bleedman's comic rules! I've had it marked as one of my favorites for a few weeks now when I discovered it, read the whole thing in a little over a half hour. All of the characters are better designed in my honest opinion, I wish Dexter's Laboratory looked that good.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Undead Fred
2278th Post

"Re(2):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Mon 4 Apr 15:01post reply

quote:
I wish Dexter's Laboratory looked that good.

Rid
6535th Post

"The danger on this all" , posted Tue 5 Apr 00:37post reply

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/1112621970910.jpg

I fear that the collective strenght of thousands of japanese artists drawing hentai doujinshis right now could send Earth out of its orbit.

mbisonhatclub
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 01:17post reply

Rhetorically; why is Professor Utonium a child?

And why do the girls have gimmick weapons? This is unpleasant and reminds me of my young M.Bisoning days, collecting TMNT action figures which came packed with weapons that they hardly ever, if at all, used in actuality.

This is more fearful than the psycho drive taking over the world.

The M.Bison Hat Club does not enjoy being usurped as such and feels it must work harder, now.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

DarkZero
1189th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):The danger on this all" , posted Tue 5 Apr 01:48post reply

quote:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/1112621970910.jpg

I fear that the collective strenght of thousands of japanese artists drawing hentai doujinshis right now could send Earth out of its orbit.

Don't worry, I'm sure the collective strength of Japanese fans enjoying those doujinshi will jerk it back into place.

Rid
6536th Post

"Re(2):The danger on this all" , posted Tue 5 Apr 02:00post reply

quote:
Don't worry, I'm sure the collective strength of Japanese fans enjoying those doujinshi will jerk it back into place.

More tsunamis coming.

Joe Randel
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 03:15post reply

This dude has been drawing PPG anime style for a while now it looks like. The most recent stuff is the better looking work. The early stuff is... meh.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

JJWE
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 03:27post reply

quote:
This dude has been drawing PPG anime style for a while now it looks like. The most recent stuff is the better looking work. The early stuff is... meh.
You really didn't read the rest of the thread, did you? :-p

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

OmegaDog
1489th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 04:05:post reply

Least I can say -- at least Z looks shiny.

quote:
You really didn't read the rest of the thread, did you? :-p

Er -- how would the sharing of that URL indicate that he didn't read the rest of the thread? It's an allowable tangent, no?

"IT'S PAYBACK TIME..." "LOCKED AND LOADED!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 5 Apr 04:07]

Rid
6538th Post

"Re(4):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 04:07post reply

quote:
Er -- why would the sharing of the URL mean that he didn't read the rest of the thread?
They linked and commented about that site already.

OmegaDog
1489th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 04:09post reply

quote:
They linked and commented about that site already.

Arrgh... and I missed it myself too -- the URL wasn't tagged.

"IT'S PAYBACK TIME..." "LOCKED AND LOADED!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Joe Randel
393th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 06:03post reply

I did go through the rest of the post.

Dang it!

Let this be a lesson to make your links clickable so lazy people like me don't by pass them.

I seemed to have boo booed in the MMZ4 thread of the image board too.

I think I need more sleep...

as you where...

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Dr Baghead
3414th Post

"Re(6):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 06:52:post reply

quote:
Let this be a lesson to make your links clickable so lazy people like me don't by pass them.

Screw that! I'm too lazy to make them clickable

Random Edit:
Hey! remember that weird Japanese song (by Shonen Knife or whatever) about the PPG (Buttercup to be exact, but they ran it about all of them and their villians) Cartoon Network used to play?

That's make a good theme song for PPG Z

[this message was edited by Dr Baghead on Tue 5 Apr 07:39]

Variable Savior
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 09:17post reply

quote:
Random Edit:
Hey! remember that weird Japanese song (by Shonen Knife or whatever) about the PPG (Buttercup to be exact, but they ran it about all of them and their villians) Cartoon Network used to play?

That's make a good theme song for PPG Z

Buttercup (I'ma Supergirl)?? A suprisingly catchy tune and full of Shonen Knife's delightly in-depth lyrics (I actually do like SK but one can't argue the lyrical simplicity of songs like Cycling is Fun).

Blood marks heaven's path

Sano
1668th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 10:03post reply

Nah man, we need a Puffy Ami Yumi Song for this new show!

It all started when Professor what's his face started messing with Chemical X
He made heroes so great and cool
Lolicons could only think of sex
The biggest in USA
And Mojo Jojo is Gay
They traveled all around the world
And still didn't see the mayor's secretary's face!

POW! POW! POWER POWER POWER PUFF GIRLS!
POW! POW! POWER POWER POWER PUFF GIRLS!

Anything is possible!
Loonatics is watchable!
Even making Charlie Brown Anime is probable

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Dr Baghead
3414th Post

"Re(9):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 10:19post reply

quote:
Loonatics is watchable!

Oh my, all the lyrics were funny, but I seriously bursted out laughing got to that.

Moriya
29th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 12:50post reply

quote:
And of course, the writing changed as well, and all of the good stuff from the original show was eventually removed. Ah, well... all of the Cartoon Cartoons I really liked have gone the same way (Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls). IT MAKES ME SAAAAD

So fuckin' true.

The first season fo Johnny Bravo was one of the best cartoons I've ever watched. It was definitely not aimed for stupid kids. After that, Johnny became absolutely retarded, the drawing style became much worst, terrible characters like Carl were introduced... and I could go on for hours.

Same shit happened with Dexter... I loved the first season, and I can't stand watching the newer ones.

PPG was the one that suffered the less, I have to say. It's still watchable.

But anyway, staying on-topic... if the anime is like Bleedman's comic, it might actually be good. But since it probably won't be... only time will tell.

"Tsuki yo ni agake."

Rid
6542th Post

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Tue 5 Apr 21:12post reply

http://ppgcom.gooside.com/ppgz/index.html
a couple of videos here

Ikari Loona
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Wed 6 Apr 02:18post reply

New Mayor?
It'd make sense, since they're now in "Tokyo City" instad of Townsville, but he'd be missed - I love the way he was depicted in "The Bare Facts" (probably my favorite PPG episode). Maybe there'll still be some sort of Ms Sara Bellum around at least, but it's unlikely...

I like Buttercup's new design a lot, but it feels so weird to see the girls with weapons - despite the video, Blossom's yoyo and Bubbles' bubble thingy still feel pretty useless, especially considering what powers they already had - if they're older in this new series, they could have developed new powers over time, like what Blossom found she had freezing breath...

Mojo's in, but I wonder about the remaining cast, especially villains... Fuzzy Lumpkins probably won't return since he relies so much on a US redneck stereotype, but HIM reminds me way to much of your average androginous anime villain to stay out of this for long... I wonder if he'd change much...

Puchu?

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Mosquiton
1580th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Wed 6 Apr 21:39post reply

quote:
Link here

Powerfull Girls Z.

Poster

Character shots

Seems like a stupidly ridiculous idea to me... I'd say it's a cheap cash-in. Or maybe the people behind it are just ignorant.

I mean, part of the spirit behind Power Puff Girls and Dexter's lab is parody/flattering imitation of Japanese animation. Seems like a really backward evolution that sucks whatever meaning or originality the original series had right out.

Hah. I wonder if they can resist adding panty shots.

Of course I haven't seen it so maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental, but since I certainly don't have any plans to see it I might as well weigh in on it right now. I have about as much respect for this project as I have for "Fever Pitch".

/ / /

Undead Fred
2282th Post

"Re(2):Powerpuff girls anime announced" , posted Thu 7 Apr 12:55post reply

quote:
Seems like a stupidly ridiculous idea to me... I'd say it's a cheap cash-in. Or maybe the people behind it are just ignorant.

I mean, part of the spirit behind Power Puff Girls and Dexter's lab is parody/flattering imitation of Japanese animation. Seems like a really backward evolution that sucks whatever meaning or originality the original series had right out.

Hah. I wonder if they can resist adding panty shots.

Well, I'd totally agree if it were made for the US audience, but I just see it more as an adaptation of the show for a different market at this point. I think if it ever DOES make it to the US, it'll just be a novelty. I'm just glad it wasn't what I thought it was at first- a US-made anime of a US-made show that's not even all that old just for the sake of cashing in on the CRAZEY AMINE CRAIZE

And Moriya- I'm glad someone agrees with me about those shows. At least (if I remember right) the crappy direction the shows have taken weren't the original directors' fault...