Sin City movie discussion thread. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3942 Views )

Undead Fred
2269th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Sin City movie discussion thread." , posted Sun 3 Apr 07:14post reply

***If you're really interested in seeing the movie, but want to keep yourself in the dark as much as possible before seeing it, then don't read this thread.***

So, who's seen the movie, and what did you think? I saw it last night, and it was great. It was very very faithful to the source material- it was almost as if the original comics were the storyboard for the movie. The only thing I would have liked to see was a little more time in Marv's story (like only 5 minutes more or so)... it seemed just a LITTLE fast.

MAKE SURE TO USE SPOILER TAGS

Replies:

Grahf
368th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Sin City movie discussion thread." , posted Sun 3 Apr 07:29post reply

Absolutely fantastic. I haven't read any of the comics, so I can say that even as an outsider this movie is great. It exceeded all my expectations, and yeah, Marv's story was definitely the best. It may have seemed a little rushed, but the whole movie had a really fast pace to it, and I didn't mind at all. If anything, I was impressed by how fast they went into each story. They had hardly any introductions or backstory, but you never felt lost. Definitely a must-see.

Burning Ranger
1145th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Sin City movie discussion thread." , posted Sun 3 Apr 07:47post reply

quote:
Absolutely fantastic. I haven't read any of the comics, so I can say that even as an outsider this movie is great. It exceeded all my expectations, and yeah, Marv's story was definitely the best. It may have seemed a little rushed, but the whole movie had a really fast pace to it, and I didn't mind at all. If anything, I was impressed by how fast they went into each story. They had hardly any introductions or backstory, but you never felt lost. Definitely a must-see.

I saw Sin City last night, and I wished I could have been a fan of the comic before. I loved the movie. Marv's segment (The Last Goodbye?) was my favorite. The Willis segment was okay but I didn't like the Big Fat Kill segment, though Clive Owen is a badass.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Undead Fred
2270th Post

"Re(3):Sin City movie discussion thread." , posted Sun 3 Apr 08:25post reply

quote:

I saw Sin City last night, and I wished I could have been a fan of the comic before. I loved the movie. Marv's segment (The Last Goodbye?) was my favorite. The Willis segment was okay but I didn't like the Big Fat Kill segment, though Clive Owen is a badass.

Yep! I had a feeling it would have been really great if I had actually read the comics, so I went ahead and picked up That Yellow Bastard and The Hard Goodbye (Hartigan and Marv's sections) this last month so I'd actually be familiar with the source material this time. It was very very very true to the source material, and it was fun to watch as well.

But yeah, I said what I did about Marv's story, but his was my favorite portion of the movie (also my favorite character so far out of the graphic novels I had read). I think his part of the movie would have been perfect if it was just paced out a LITTLE longer.

Baines
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Sin City movie discussion thread." , posted Sun 3 Apr 10:09post reply

quote:
I think his part of the movie would have been perfect if it was just paced out a LITTLE longer.

Marv is a fan favorite, and is possibly one of the most recognized Sin City characters. It isn't strange to want a bit more with him.

As for the movie itself, I thought it wouldn't be that great. After seeing it, I'm not sure what to say. It isn't a movie for everyone. I liked it. Pretty much anyone who liked the graphic novels should like it. It should be decent enough for people who've never seen the novels, if they are the right people for this kind of movie.

And it is perhaps as close and true a comic adaptation as is possible, without even sucking. You can probably match movie frames to novel panels with startling accuracy, but it is a movie that doesn't really feel constrained by its source.

My only real complaint is that some scenes, even with the b&w view, still look too fake for even the stylized goal. Just a few action scenes, and it doesn't really hurt the movie.

Shin Ramberk
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Sin City movie discussion thread." , posted Sun 3 Apr 10:10post reply

quote:
***If you're really interested in seeing the movie, but want to keep yourself in the dark as much as possible before seeing it, then don't read this thread.***

So, who's seen the movie, and what did you think? I saw it last night, and it was great. It was very very faithful to the source material- it was almost as if the original comics were the storyboard for the movie. The only thing I would have liked to see was a little more time in Marv's story (like only 5 minutes more or so)... it seemed just a LITTLE fast.

MAKE SURE TO USE SPOILER TAGS

My favorite was the prostitute story. oh hell yeah. that one was great.

I had only read Marv's story and I too, wish I had read the others before seeing the movie. I'll still read them though.

Excellent movie. Albeit gory. But excellent.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Sano
1662th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Make sure you sit through the ending credits!" , posted Sun 3 Apr 10:23post reply

I thought the movie was excellent. Five thmbs up! That's two thumbs up, to big toes up, and as for the other thumb... um, well, lots of good looking women! They even somehow managed to make Gilmore Girl Rory look hott!

If you sit through to the ending credits, the movie gives special thanks to a lot of comic book greats. Such as Milton Canniff, Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and Joe Kubert. You gotta love that!

So far it's a toss up for me which movie I like better, this or Constantine. Both were really good comic book movies in 2005. Ah well, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

DarkZero
1186th Post

"Re(1):Make sure you sit through the ending cr" , posted Sun 3 Apr 20:37post reply

Saw it tonight and it was probably the best movie I've seen since Kill Bill. Loved the characters, the noir touches, the effects... the whole thing. My favorite story was definitely Dwight McCarthy's, which one of my friends and I very adamantly agreed upon, but everyone else seems to disagree with. I think it depends just as much on your own personal style as the strength of the story.

And I definitely wish I had found these graphic novels years ago. Now I'm going to feel like kind of a poser when I go and buy them, but they're just damned excellent. Speaking of that, I should probably pick up Hellboy some day. But anyway, I had a question:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Was Josh Hartnett's character actually in the graphic novels or was he just a touch for the movie? And if he was from the graphic novels, was he ever explored upon more, or did he just pop in occasionally like he did in the movie? As I look back on the movie, I'm kinda surprised to find that two of my favorite scenes A) involved Josh Hartnett (who knew that he and Jessica Alba could act?), B) were completely tangential to the rest of the plot, and C) were like two or three minutes long each. Something about the opening and ending with him were just really cool.

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
2271th Post

"Re(2):Make sure you sit through the ending cr" , posted Sun 3 Apr 21:14post reply

quote:
DarkZero's spoiler
I'm not sure...

I had the feeling that he was in the Big Fat Kill or one of the other novels I hadn't read... he wasn't in The Hard Goodbye or That Yellow Bastard, anyway... those were the only two I've read so far.

End of Spoiler

Baines
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Make sure you sit through the ending cr" , posted Mon 4 Apr 03:13post reply

I haven't read them since they were actual comics, so I've forgotten the more minor details.

CrazyMax
407th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Make sure you sit through the ending cr" , posted Mon 4 Apr 05:56post reply

"What started off as a test featuring actors Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton became the pre-credit sequence for the most faithful comic book adaptation ever made."

That was from a review at Latino Review.

Which explains why no one recognizes the Josh Hartnett character, and why he's the bookend.

Click
570th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 06:02post reply

Not sure which segment I enjoyed the best, but Clive Owen left a big impression on me. [How could you not love the red Converse shoes?] Some downright sexy camerawork and cinematography, unparalleled atmosphere... solid. Crazy to believe it was shot entirely on video [HD]... who can honestly tell right off the bat?

Random goodies:

The dude's reaction when the arrow goes through his chest.

Elijah Wood's [what was his character's name?] white glasses. [His whole character, really.]

Alba. [Christ...]

Jail cell scenework.

Trenchcoats.

And... what was up with the swastika-shaped ninja star things?

I am extremely surpised the testes bit at the end made it through the MPAA.

CrazyMax
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Make sure you sit through the ending cr" , posted Mon 4 Apr 06:12post reply

To me, it was Marv all the way. Love the way the loneliness was portrayed, and how he was motivated to do his big mission. Rourke's playing of him, the makeup, the whole Sin City backdrop, just made it a perfect story.

I can't wait for the DVD, which will allow you to see each individual story as it was done in the graphic novels. Which means scenes that had to be pulled to maintain story flow and pacing will be returned. So the scene of Marv visiting his mom to pick up 'Gladys' will be back.

I also think it will make Dwight's story tighter, which I didn't care for as much as Marv's, but liked it better than Hartigan's.
No wonder Willis' signed on!

"I need some handcuffs."

"What kind?"

Ishmael
1924th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 06:58post reply

quote:
I am extremely surpised the testes bit at the end made it through the MPAA.

Bullets to the groin, hatchets to the groin... this movie was a smorgasbord of genital mutilation.

I'm glad that people who aren't too familiar with the original stories enjoyed the film. Funny, having just seen the movie I can note that I got a kick out of seeing the stories brought to the screen and I that the presentation of the movie wasn't the trick I was afraid it might be but was an arresting stylistic look. Thing is, I'm still not sure what I think of the movie as a movie. While the faithfulness to the source material -which bordered on compulsive- was impressive I do wonder about the decision to toss three stories at the screen and wait to see what sticks. While the wacky adventures that Dwight and the girls get into are always fun I wonder it the movie might have benefitted from dropping The Big Fat Kill segment and focused more attention on the other two stories since the tales of Hartigan and Marv share similiar themes. As it was, the movie almost feels like a too faithful adaptation, like a Harry Potter movie or an overly earnest Bible film.

[Speaking of the Bible, has anyone ever written an essay on Catholicism in the work of Frank Miller? His characters suffer and bleed for the salvation of others to such a degree that it's like they are acting out comic book Passion plays.]

For now I'm going to have to sleep on it or go see the movie again before I can really decide what I think about the movie on it's own terms. Even with that I'd still recommend the movie for the great look, actors who all are committed to the Spillane on Speed world of the stories and the delightful amounts of skin and violence on display.

Ishmael
1925th Post

"Re(2):~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 07:07post reply

Oh, and to DarkZero:

Josh Hartnett's character, as far as I can remember, has only appeared in an anthology of short Sin City stories where he was in one story which was made into the prologue. If Miller has used him since then I'm blanking on where it was. Also, the official movie page has a great listing of all the characters, where they appear, and who they interact with.

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
2276th Post

"Re(1):~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 07:32:post reply

quote:
And... what was up with the swastika-shaped ninja star things?

I was waiting for this one... it's a manji. Symbol of good luck.

EDIT: Oh yeah, so I don't double post...

quote:
I can't wait for the DVD, which will allow you to see each individual story as it was done in the graphic novels. Which means scenes that had to be pulled to maintain story flow and pacing will be returned. So the scene of Marv visiting his mom to pick up 'Gladys' will be back.
Heh heh, yeah. I was a LITTLE disappointed they didn't play up that part of the movie a little... I thought it was funny that Marv almost has a relationship with his gun. It didn't hurt the movie to take it out, but I liked it anyway. I'd just be happy to see more in Marv's story period.

As for Ishmael's comments, I know what you mean- I really appreciated how faithful it was to the source material, but people that aren't familiar with the comic wouldn't really see it as compulsive (if I hadn't just recently read the comics, I would have never have known how close it was). I'm sure there were a LOT of people that had either never read the comic or forgotten about it by the time they had seen the movie. I do kind of wish they would have thrown in some more minor changes (just to switch things up just a little bit), but it was nice to see someone finally make a movie like that without completely taking a dump on the fans. Again, I had only just recently started reading the graphic novels, but I really enjoyed them, and it was great that the movie had respect for the source material. Especially since there were some really nice shots in the book that worked perfectly on-screen.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Mon 4 Apr 07:45]

JJWE
473th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 07:43post reply

I keep reading this as "Sim City" and think "Will Wright must be so proud that people are discussing his game even today", and then I go "oh!".

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

DarkZero
1187th Post

"Re(3):~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 09:19post reply

quote:
As it was, the movie almost feels like a too faithful adaptation, like a Harry Potter movie or an overly earnest Bible film.

Honestly, to the people who haven't read the comics, I think it just feels like Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. It's written in pretty much the same format, with different "chapters" taking place in different time periods. And while one segment or another might have seemed kind of superfluous, it seems like everyone has a different idea of which story was more important than the others, which gives me the feeling that the balance that was struck between them was pretty much perfect. I felt that Dwight's story seemed a little rushed and that Marv's was a little long, but others felt that Dwight's story was kind of pointless, or that Hartigan's went on too long. So even though none of us are 100% satisfied with it, it seems like it's the best it could be.

Undead Fred
2277th Post

"Re(4):~!" , posted Mon 4 Apr 14:59post reply

quote:
Honestly, to the people who haven't read the comics, I think it just feels like Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. It's written in pretty much the same format, with different "chapters" taking place in different time periods. And while one segment or another might have seemed kind of superfluous, it seems like everyone has a different idea of which story was more important than the others, which gives me the feeling that the balance that was struck between them was pretty much perfect. I felt that Dwight's story seemed a little rushed and that Marv's was a little long, but others felt that Dwight's story was kind of pointless, or that Hartigan's went on too long. So even though none of us are 100% satisfied with it, it seems like it's the best it could be.

Very true. I know I've brought up a few "if only they did this" points, but it's really just nitpicky stuff. I thought they did a great job with the movie, but I would have thought it was pretty much perfect if they would have added just a little more and tweaked it. But I'm still very satisfied with the movie (I've been wanting to see it again since I saw it on Friday... heh heh).

Ishmael
1928th Post

"Re(4):~!" , posted Tue 5 Apr 10:23post reply

quote:

That's a good point, there's no real consensus on what worked in the movie and what could have been done differently. Not only does that show that there's no real weak part of the movie but has more to do with personal tastes but it also shows just how stuffed the movie is.

One comment I've heard from a couple of people concerns just how breakneck the pace of the film is. The movie never seems to take a break and is always throwing crazy at you. Some of this has to do with the source material but I do wonder if some of it was a conscious decision by Rodriguez due to the way he was making the movie. A comic book noir movie filmed in fake black and white against green screens; a conservative reading of the potential audience suggests that's not the type of movie that people are going to line up to see. I wonder if Rodriguez kept the pace of the movie up out of concern that the audience might get hung up on the way the film looks or the Philip Marlowe-esqe dialogue? It's a testament to how well the film was put together, as well as how sophisticated the average movie goer actually is, that Sin City is a success.

Baines
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):~!" , posted Wed 6 Apr 05:53post reply

quote:
It's a testament to how well the film was put together, as well as how sophisticated the average movie goer actually is, that Sin City is a success.

28 million weekend for an R rated mostly black and white movie adapted from a comic book.

Though the real question is what the second week will be. And more important are the eventual DVD sales, though a good second week implies strong future sales (though the reverse isn't necessarily true.) Star power and pre-release hype/curiosity alone might could have created a big opening week that just dies after people see it.

shin ramberk
97th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):~!" , posted Wed 6 Apr 06:09post reply

quote:
It's a testament to how well the film was put together, as well as how sophisticated the average movie goer actually is, that Sin City is a success.

28 million weekend for an R rated mostly black and white movie adapted from a comic book.

Though the real question is what the second week will be. And more important are the eventual DVD sales, though a good second week implies strong future sales (though the reverse isn't necessarily true.) Star power and pre-release hype/curiosity alone might could have created a big opening week that just dies after people see it.

How much pre-release hype did this movie really get? 28 million is pretty damn good. The movie was pretty damn good.

If the movie was just average or a just plain bad, I don't think it would have done as well as it did. I think it'll get pretty good 2nd week numbers and the DVD sales will be very good. This movie was a success IMO and I'll eat my hat if its not considered a success a year from now.

First Hellboy, now Sin City, what are we gonna have next? An Usagi Yojimbo movie!?!?!?

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Baines
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):~!" , posted Wed 6 Apr 08:27post reply

quote:
How much pre-release hype did this movie really get? 28 million is pretty damn good.

Not as much as might be expected, considering the cast. I'm still a little surprised Bruce Willis wasn't mentioning it while he was promoting his other movie. But the cast and the general different look of the film is something of a pre-release hype, just because people would be curious.

And I agree that it looks like a success. And DVD sales should be at the least decent. Particularly if it does a good job of extra footage and such.

I do wonder how much it cost to make. There are a lot of salaries to pay, though some are people who are known but still not perhaps expensive, and a few might just have been interested in being in the movie... And how much was the cost of the computer work... *shrug*

Click
573th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):~!" , posted Wed 6 Apr 09:42:post reply

quote:
I do wonder how much it cost to make. There are a lot of salaries to pay, though some are people who are known but still not perhaps expensive, and a few might just have been interested in being in the movie... And how much was the cost of the computer work... *shrug*

I'd love to know myself. The thing is, Rodriguez apparently did the effects himself, along with the music and editing. In his garage studio. [EDIT: Apparently a company called Hybride did the CG work, so I suppose Rodriguez did the colorization and compositing, or maybe not the compositing... I'm starting to confuse myself.]

Check out this excellent article.

Pretty fantastic stuff. This is the real way to make films.

It brings to mind another question, though... The article makes me think that he may have done Spy Kids simply for the money, to finance future projects... like, conveniently, Sin City. I mean, I'm not overly familiar with the guy, but Spy Kids kinda sticks like like a sore thumb compared to the rest of his stuff.

Maybe....

[this message was edited by Click on Wed 6 Apr 10:34]

Baines
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Rodriguez" , posted Wed 6 Apr 10:17post reply

quote:
The article makes me think that he may have done Spy Kids simply for the money, to finance future projects...

I don't know. Supposedly he is a big mark for the idea filming in front of a green screen and using computers for the sets, lighting, and everything else.

From Ebert's review of Sin City:
"Rodriguez has been aiming toward "Sin City" for years. I remember him leaping out of his chair and bouncing around a hotel room, pantomiming himself filming "Spy Kids 2" with a digital camera and editing it on a computer. The future! he told me. This is the future! You don't wait six hours for a scene to be lighted. You want a light over here, you grab a light and put it over here. You want a nuclear submarine, you make one out of thin air and put your characters into it."

While it implies he was looking towards other projects, it still sounds like someone who had more reason than money and street cred concerns behind Spy Kids. The Spy Kids series was not only an excuse to do what he wanted, it was a vindication.

DarkZero
1190th Post

"Re(8):~!" , posted Wed 6 Apr 15:13post reply

This Box Office Mojo article has answers to a lot of the questions asked in this thread. Fortunately, it looks like the movie will be very profitable, because it only cost $40 million to make. Unfortunately, however, it looks like they're expecting a huge drop-off next week due to the demographics involved. Then again, one of the films it was compared to was Hellboy, which Sin City is projected to be very similar to in terms of box office revenue. Hellboy was successful enough to warrant a director's cut DVD release, a special edition DVD release, and a sequel.

quote:
How much pre-release hype did this movie really get? 28 million is pretty damn good. The movie was pretty damn good.

I don't think I turned my TV on in the last two weeks without seeing a commercial for Sin City at three or four times.

Mosquiton
1578th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):~!" , posted Wed 6 Apr 21:25post reply

quote:
This Box Office Mojo article has answers to a lot of the questions asked in this thread. Fortunately, it looks like the movie will be very profitable, because it only cost $40 million to make. Unfortunately, however, it looks like they're expecting a huge drop-off next week due to the demographics involved. Then again, one of the films it was compared to was Hellboy, which Sin City is projected to be very similar to in terms of box office revenue. Hellboy was successful enough to warrant a director's cut DVD release, a special edition DVD release, and a sequel.

I wonder what affect word of mouth is going to have (I convinced my parents to go see it this weekend, hah).

Also, I want to shoot "Fever Pitch" in the face.

/ / /

Baines
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):~!" , posted Thu 7 Apr 01:38post reply

quote:
Unfortunately, however, it looks like they're expecting a huge drop-off next week due to the demographics involved.

Most movies these days have huge drop-offs, regardless of quality.

The money really is in the DVDs though. Box office can be a guide to how much interest there is in a movie though.

Heck, even bad movies can make a lot on DVDs. I remember reading someone involved in the Doom movie expecting it to do awful at the box office but to get more than enough curiosity and "fan of the game" DVD sales to turn a good profit.

Ishmael
1930th Post

"Re(10):~!" , posted Thu 7 Apr 02:02post reply

quote:
It brings to mind another question, though... The article makes me think that he may have done Spy Kids simply for the money, to finance future projects... like, conveniently, Sin City. I mean, I'm not overly familiar with the guy, but Spy Kids kinda sticks like like a sore thumb compared to the rest of his stuff.

From what I've seen he's always been very enthusiastic about Spy Kids. [Of course Rodriguez seems enthusiastic about everything he works on; I'm not sure there's an off switch on the guy.] I remember him talking about how happy he was that he was able to work on the films with his own children since nobody gets shot in the face in the Spy Kids flicks.

quote:
The money really is in the DVDs though. Box office can be a guide to how much interest there is in a movie though.

It sounds like the DVD is going to be quite nice as well, with everything from the full stories to taco recipes.

Undead Fred
2281th Post

"Re(10):~!" , posted Thu 7 Apr 12:28post reply

quote:
I remember reading someone involved in the Doom movie expecting it to do awful at the box office but to get more than enough curiosity and "fan of the game" DVD sales to turn a good profit.

That's how movies like that work, though... the studios make their money through EVIL UNDER-HANDED TRICKERY AND DECEPTION

quote:
It sounds like the DVD is going to be quite nice as well, with everything from the full stories to taco recipes.
Man, the DVD sounds excellent. I really like how they've got the full stories available to play separately (as Rodriguez said, it'll be like picking up the books and going through them). I know I'll definitely watch Marv's full story the most.