The New Comics Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3593 Views )

Rid
6531th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 01:04:post reply

I decided to make another one, for the comic book fans here. I've been reading scans, buying some of the books, and invading a friend's house to keep up to date.

Age of Apocalypse 2005 is a kinda weird event, the writing quality has been poor (Yoshida isn't as good as Marvel thinks), and while I like (love) Bachalo's artwork, most people don't, and he got some hideous inkers in the mddle that aren't helping. The Handbook was full of mistakes and gave info that wasn't on the books (Handbooks collect SEEN events, don't add nothing new), and the introductory one shot had the only thing worse than 90's art: people trying to draw like in the 90's.

The New Avengers was good after all, Spiderman is shining, the dialogues are fun, it's almost as good to make me forget the Dissassembled crap. Not like I'll miss the dead ones...

Young Avengers is the most retarded concept I've seen in a while, but I've read the first two issues and it's very very fun! I hope it keeps like this. Captain America is having a very well written saga that hopefully won't bomb in the end. Iron Man is pure Ellis joy, but comes out once every... too many months.

Ultimates is more of the same, just with more (good) character interaction. I like Ultimate Thor a lot, I hope they do something interesting with him. I would love to see that he is not mad and his brother IS Loki, but I doubt that at this point. Ultimate X-Men reads... like X-Men, there's no reason to follow an alternate version if it's a lot like the regular one.

Ultimate Nightmare was too decompressed but will make a great volume, and has a very very rewarding last issue. Ultimate Secret looks like more of the same. Ellis is God so don't complain. He's doing a wonderful work at Fantastic Four too, with his clever pseudoscience and the adventurous feeling that the F4 need.

Wolverine Enemy of State/Agent of SHIELD is a plain and fun story so far, with lots of violence, and Romita Jr's beautiful artwork. Uncanny X-Men is Claremont, like it or hate it (I like it) with Alan Davis art (and that's always great). Astonishing X-Men's second saga isn't living up to the clever writing of the first one, but at least is classic superhero writing, something the X-Men was needing lately.

DC Comics... the new Crisis is running, so don't get attached to any character because it will probably die in a stupid way in a title that has nothing to do with your character.

[this message was edited by Rid on Sun 3 Apr 01:05]

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1144th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 01:43post reply

quote:

DC Comics... the new Crisis is running, so don't get attached to any character because it will probably die in a stupid way in a title that has nothing to do with your character.

Well, I know "my" favorite character won't die. I picked up Countdown to Infinite Crisis this week. It's a good read, though the ending is VERY dark.

I also picked up the first Age of Apocalypse TPB--only to learn that the inscription on the cover "The Entire Saga" is misleading: there are going to be 4 more volumes, and the first volume cost $30. EEK!

Still, I'd like to pick up the Onslaught story arc--if it gets collected.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Digitalboy
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 02:47post reply

Hey, Rid, who survived the Disassembled story line?

BTW Wanted Hardcover will be coming out soon. I have been waiting for this series to be collected for quite some time. $29.95

Rid
6531th Post

"Re(3):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 03:11post reply

quote:
Hey, Rid, who survived the Disassembled story line?
Hawkeye, Ant Man and The Vision died. Thor died on his title as well, I think.

The Vision could be alive in some way according to Young Avengers 2...

shin ramberk
95th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 04:56post reply

quote:

Well, I know "my" favorite character won't die. I picked up Countdown to Infinite Crisis this week. It's a good read, though the ending is VERY dark.

I also picked up the first Age of Apocalypse TPB--only to learn that the inscription on the cover "The Entire Saga" is misleading: there are going to be 4 more volumes, and the first volume cost $30. EEK!

Still, I'd like to pick up the Onslaught story arc--if it gets collected.

It might be $30 and the entire saga may cost you $120 + tax, but believe me, its worth it. There is a reason that Marvel is pushing a 10th anniversary on this storyline. Its one of the best storylines they ever put together. Probably my favorite x-men storylines. Certainly one of the best.

Its one of those storylines that is so great, you remember what you were doing when you first read it. I remember, I was a sophomore is high school. And I'd walk to the nearby comic book shop every week during lunch period in the winter time to get me some age of apocalypse. it was real good stuff. Still is. I'm getting these volumes even though I have most of the series in single issues.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

exodus
2511th Post

"The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuuuse" , posted Sun 3 Apr 06:04post reply

I don't read US comics anymore (cured my addiction) so I'll talk about newly translated manga I've read. My girlfriend and I have been treating Borders Books like a library and just going in and reading manga for an hour or so. She's a super lady. Anyway...

Ororon - good stuff. I like clean manga like this, and it has lots of curious action, and a psuedo-loli love affair between a 130 year old man and a 15 year old girl.

Alichino - cool, gothy, but very nice. It's about wish-granting demons, and those who would thwart their soul-stealing ways. I love the art style, and the dialogue doesn't suck. Also clean looking, but more flowy, and less 'one piece' than ororon.

Et Cetera - about a chinese girl who goes on a quest in the wild west with a gun that absorbs spirit animals. And there's a preist who's OMG MYSTERIOUS. It's like Trigun without all of the social commentary, jokes, and interesting stuff. pretty much crap!

I'm still pissed that ADV can't fucking translate Azumanga properly, and on top of it, they can't even spell correctly in english.

XXX Holic - I've been following this, and it's clamp, so yeah. I likes it. Not so shoujo as some of their other stuff, and has a sexy witch lady as the star.

Wish - mmmm, I love clamp. This series is cool so far, but I've only read half of #1.

If anyone has any questions about these, or other things I could find, lemme know. I'm in there once or twice a week.

Sano
1665th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 10:45:post reply

Hurray! Another comic book thread!

Probably the funniest thing that happened in Marvel in February was Northstar dying three times in the same month! In Age of Apocalypse, he was evil and was killed by Wolverine. In Wolverine, he was... killed by Wolverine. Of course the Wolverine story involves him killing people so they can be brought back to life evil so he's just evil now, not dead. And then in X-Men the End, he was... killed by Wolverine. PSYKE! Actually someone blew up the mansion and Northsar sheilded Cyclops and died. Anyway, I found his three deaths very funny since they were so close to each other, LOL!

Age of Apocalypse - I'm very happy that they've introduced Psylocke in AOA reality. She never appeared in the original version because Joe Mad and Lobdell hate her. I always figured that she was one of the brains of murdered psychic Mutants Apocalypse used to control one of his computers back in the original version. Oh well, guess not. I kind of wish they didn't just up and say no, this reality was not wiped out, it continued somehow and just wrote stories that took place in that universe before it was wiped out. But, we'll see how things turn out. So far I'm enjoying it.

X-Men - Psylocke now has super stregnth, no explanation given yet. Okay...

Castlevania - Picked up this comic. Still can't figure out why they are basing this story on the first Castlevania Gameboy game no one played or remembers. Found it odd when Christopher Belmont looked at Curse Castle and suspected nothing was going on, because the castle is supposed to... rebuild itself upon Dracula's return in the games! Maybe in the comic it rebuilt itself gradually. Anyway, it was nice seeing some of the classic Belmonts in the Belmont hall and I liked Dracula's ressurection, that's how I always pictured it would look in Simon's quest. The art's not so hot, but I'll stick with the five issues and see what happens.

Street Fighter comic stuff - After issue 14 the series is going to go on a hiatus and relaunched under the title 'Street Fighter II' and start over with issue 1. The SF book is surprisingly being outsold by Darkstalkers! Wow! Anyway, with another issue 1, here's udon's way of re-energizing the SF series.

Editor Erik Ko says that Capcom has big plans for the San Diego Con. Sadly, I hear there's a rival convention going on at the same time so all hotels are booked up the wazoo.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sun 3 Apr 12:09]

Dr Baghead
3409th Post

"Re(1):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 10:50post reply

I like the Goon! Anyone else reading the Goon. That's a good series, it's like Hellboy only crazier and gangstery!

quote:
Et Cetera - about a chinese girl who goes on a quest in the wild west with a gun that absorbs spirit animals. And there's a preist who's OMG MYSTERIOUS. It's like Trigun without all of the social commentary, jokes, and interesting stuff.pretty much crap!

There's social commentary, jokes, and interesting stuff in Trigun? Are they before or after the piles of shit that make up the rest of manga/anime?

but seriously, fuck you, Et Cetera's terrific.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Rid
6532th Post

"Re(2):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 10:58post reply

quote:
X-Men - Psylocke now has super stregnth, no explanation given yet. Okay...

Well, she was probably revived more powerful by her psycho brother, Claremont introduced this storyline some time ago, and it's developing in the background...

The new Legion of Super-Heroes is GREAT by the way, every issue has fun and clever writing, and it's very friendly with new readers unfamiliar with the Legion (like me). I hope it stays out of the Crisis stuff, I want to enjoy it as a standalone.

catalyst
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 12:04post reply

quote:

Hey Burning Ranger you got the infinite crisis comic too? When exactly did Bug man come into the Justice league? This is kinda the 2nd time i've had time to pick up and sat down with a DC comic, great issue I can't wait for the next issue with the Omac project

Burning Ranger
1146th Post

"Re(3):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 12:29post reply

quote:

Hey Burning Ranger you got the infinite crisis comic too? When exactly did Bug man come into the Justice league? This is kinda the 2nd time i've had time to pick up and sat down with a DC comic, great issue I can't wait for the next issue with the Omac project

Infinite Crisis leads into 4 new miniseries, none of which I will buy until (or if) they come in TPB form. If I were to buy a title, I would probably get "Rann/Thanagar War" because it features GL Rayner.

As for Blue Beetle, I knew he was a member of JL but I was never a fan. The first I ever read of him was when he was in "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and even then it wasn't such a big role.

GekigangerV
1074th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 12:29post reply

quote:

Street Fighter comic stuff - After issue 14 the series is going to go on a hiatus and relaunched under the title 'Street Fighter II' and start over with issue 1. The SF book is surprisingly being outsold by Darkstalkers! Wow! Anyway, with another issue 1, here's udon's way of re-energizing the SF series.

Wow, they are already going on to SF2? Have they even shown Guy yet? Well, at least Darkstalkers is doing well.

Speaking of recently translated manga . . .

I picked up Nartuo vol. 6 and it seems that they have not decided on a translation for Naruto's Kagebunshin. I believe it started out as just "Doppleganger" then moved on to "Shadow Doppleganger", now I just saw "Doppleganger, soild form". I don't care all that much, I just pick it up to support the real deal.

Zepy
1040th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 16:40post reply

quote:
XXX Holic

Mommy! I love that too!
It's like, one of the few clamp stuff I like.

Sano
1667th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 16:43:post reply

quote:

Wow, they are already going on to SF2? Have they even shown Guy yet? Well, at least Darkstalkers is doing well.

They've shown everybody form the Alpha series except for Guy, Cody, Sodom, Rolento, and T.Hawk. Juli only appeared briefly with the Dolls. Ken Siu-Chong did say he wanted to do a Metro City story when the time is right so that would take care of the FF guys. As for T.Hawk, he's part of SF2 and I suppose he will be going after Juli.

Then there's Eagle and Maki exclusive to the SFZ3 on the GBA but featured on the cover of SF issue 1. Looks like SF1 characters can show up at anytime. Maybe Maki will be in Metro City too? Or she'll get the back up trreatment.

All though the comic will be called SF2, they still won't start the SF2 tourney with issue 15(SF2 # 1). I know first they are going to show Ryu travel around the world (unless they changed their minds about that.) So I guess there's a good chance he'll stop by Metro City.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Mon 4 Apr 03:42]

ONSLAUGHT
3327th Post

"Re(2):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Sun 3 Apr 17:15post reply

quote:

There's social commentary, jokes, and interesting stuff in Trigun? Are they before or after the piles of shit that make up the rest of manga/anime?

I know nothing about said manga/anime, but the toys are terrific, my Monev the Gale can back me up.
And my soon to arrive Gazelle the Peacemaker will help him to do so.

Rid
6533th Post

"Re(4):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Sun 3 Apr 21:19post reply

quote:
Infinite Crisis leads into 4 new miniseries, none of which I will buy until (or if) they come in TPB form. If I were to buy a title, I would probably get "Rann/Thanagar War" because it features GL Rayner.
the new Adam Strange miniseries is what leads to the RTW, an it's very worth checking.

CrazyMax
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Mon 4 Apr 06:06post reply

I'm trying to read AOA, but like was said, it's been poor writing wise. Also Bachalo even though he's a favorite of mine, his storytelling sucks. Especially with lots of action. Trying to figure out what was going on in the 1st issue with Wolverine, was like some bizarre art/memory test.

I really like Doc Frankenstein, I especially loved the foreword by Wachowski Bros. explaining what comics should be. They are so right!

Young Avengers, still undecided. I'm really hating this unofficial Marvel rule of making all stories so they fit in trade paperbacks. When you realize how they putzed around in the first issue the whole beginning of the issue is on Daily Bugle reporters and not the title characters, and they're exposition adds nothing so it's pointless , it kills your desire to read the books as they come out.

Ultimate something or whatever came out this week, with Steve McNiven artwork which is a must get. Also intros Capt. Marvel to the Ultimate verse, and he's as creative as the new Marvel Boy was. Tight. But you also know it's going to be a dragged out story to make a trade.

I will admit Crisis did shock me. Not for the ending, but for the ramifications it will bring to one of the big characters, and to how well it portrayed what it must be like to be a 'C' level superhero in the DC verse.

Burning Ranger
1147th Post

"Re(2):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Mon 4 Apr 06:34post reply

quote:

I really like Doc Frankenstein, I especially loved the foreword by Wachowski Bros. explaining what comics should be. They are so right!

Doc Frankenstein is GODLY. Too bad Shaolin Cowboy sucks...

exodus
2514th Post

"Re(2):The not-so-new manga post by exoduuuuuu" , posted Mon 4 Apr 07:08post reply

quote:
but seriously, fuck you, Et Cetera's terrific.

haha we have completely opposite taste then. Maybe it picks up later, but what I read seemed very cliche - maybe that's just me though.

quote:
XXX Holic
Mommy! I love that too!

Ishmael
1926th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Mon 4 Apr 07:09post reply

quote:

Shaolin Cowboy doesn't work? I don't expect a lot out of Geof Darrow stories outside of pretty pictures but I was hoping it would at least be adequate.

Burning Ranger
1148th Post

"Re(4):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Mon 4 Apr 11:51post reply

quote:

Shaolin Cowboy doesn't work? I don't expect a lot out of Geof Darrow stories outside of pretty pictures but I was hoping it would at least be adequate.

I only read the first issue, but I was actually bored when I read it. While there was one REALLY funny sequence, the rest was just dull. Gory but dull.

Iron D
2649th Post

"Re(1):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Tue 5 Apr 04:09post reply

As long as we're talking comics, I have a question about the new AoA.

First, how in the HECK did the X-men survive AoA's original ending? And I'm confused...the current AoA story takes place before the events in the original, but somehow implies that X-men actually survived the end of the original AoA?

Also, I must say that I'm currently loving Ultimate Spidey and Ult. X-men. In fact, with the possible exception of Astonishing, I'm enjoying Ult. X-men more than the regular titles. The whole Psylocke ressurection thing is just too dumb. First with the fact that there are way too many resurrections happening now, and secondly that Psylocke has no need for MORE powers.

Oh, and one more question: Emma Frost. She hasn't always been able to turn into diamond has she? When did this diamond morping ablitily start?

Zelkin. Pimped.

Rid
6539th Post

"Re(2):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Tue 5 Apr 04:44post reply

Emma developed her secondary mutation (turn her skin into diamond) when the school in Genosha where she was teaching was destroyed by the Sentinels during "E is for Extinction".

Apparently Jean Grey disabled the bombs in the end of Age of Apocalypse Omega (that was the flash we saw) but at the beginning everybody was thinking in Magneto. It'll be fully explained in the last issue.

Iron D
2650th Post

"Re(3):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Tue 5 Apr 04:58post reply

quote:

Apparently Jean Grey disabled the bombs in the end of Age of Apocalypse Omega (that was the flash we saw) but at the beginning everybody was thinking in Magneto. It'll be fully explained in the last issue.

Thanks, Rid. But this brings up something else. I recall seeing Colossus. This has to have been a flashback, right? AoA Cyke, Havok, Iceman and Colossus are still dead, right?

Zelkin. Pimped.

Rid
6540th Post

"Re(4):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Tue 5 Apr 05:22post reply

quote:
Thanks, Rid. But this brings up something else. I recall seeing Colossus. This has to have been a flashback, right? AoA Cyke, Havok, Iceman and Colossus are still dead, right?
Yes, the first special on this AoA 2005 event had some "flashback" stories telling things about the characters that don't add too much to the story. The dead stay like that. Well, not Husk, but that's explained. And not Jean Grey, but imagine that will be explained. I hope.

Burning Ranger
1150th Post

"Re(2):The New Comic Books Thread" , posted Tue 5 Apr 08:44post reply

quote:

Also, I must say that I'm currently loving Ultimate Spidey and Ult. X-men. In fact, with the possible exception of Astonishing, I'm enjoying Ult. X-men more than the regular titles. The whole Psylocke ressurection thing is just too dumb. First with the fact that there are way too many resurrections happening now, and secondly that Psylocke has no need for MORE powers.

I find that I enjoy some of the Ultimate titles and that I can get into them more than regular continuity. I love "The Ultimates" and I'm eagerly awaiting the TPB of Ultimates 2. I also love Ultimate Spiderman. It goes back to the roots of Spidey while being modern at the same time.

Digitalboy
160th Post

Regular Customer

"House of M" , posted Wed 6 Apr 00:10post reply

Quick Question: What is the House of M about in the Avengers and X-Men comics?

Rid
6546th Post

"Countdown to Crisis on the House of M" , posted Wed 6 Apr 00:25:post reply

House of M: The Scarlet Witch (that killed some Avengers in Dissassembled where she went mad) wakes up from a comma, and Magneto is becoming evil again (it's hinted that Xavier has been messing with his mind). Since they're father and daughter... HoM is supposed to introduce new characters, reintroduce new ones, and serve for a purpose that Bendis has for the Marvel Universe... whatever that is.

I'll quote a great comment about Identity Crisis and Countdown, that I personally share:

quote:
The most depressing thing about Countdown is that, like Identity Crisis before it, it seems to see the fact that earlier stories were fun and upbeat as something which has to be explained away. Loudly insisting that you're above childish things isn't a sign of maturity. It's a sign of adolescence. And trying to explain happy stories in a grim universe only succeeds in tearing out their hearts, not "making them work." It doesn't have to be done that way.

[this message was edited by Rid on Thu 7 Apr 00:49]