so - does anyone actually play ryu? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4086 Views )

exodus
2480th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 09:37post reply

I know this is an odd question, but it seems to me that I mostly see ken players, in Cvs2, SFIICE, SFa2. Ken's multi-hit attacks are better, he's a little faster...why would people play ryu?

There must be some ryu players out there (I think I saw it in sano's sig?), so please explain to me why he's still a relevant character. That's not meant as an insult, I figure I must be missing something...

Replies:

Grave
893th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 09:41post reply

As a Ken player, I can safely say that I have absolutely no idea.

beto
837th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 09:53post reply

I like WW/CE Ryu. After that, nope.

shin ramberk
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:01post reply

quote:
I know this is an odd question, but it seems to me that I mostly see ken players, in Cvs2, SFIICE, SFa2. Ken's multi-hit attacks are better, he's a little faster...why would people play ryu?

There must be some ryu players out there (I think I saw it in sano's sig?), so please explain to me why he's still a relevant character. That's not meant as an insult, I figure I must be missing something...

This seems like a bizarre questions coming from you Exodus, I mean, I always thought of you having a lot of arcade wisdom and such. Anyhow, my answer:

Yes, people play ryu. Who knows why you live in a 'ryu black hole'.

Ryu is relevant because he's a good character too choose in CvS1, CvS2, ST, SFA2, SFA3, 3S but not in PF and MvC2. He's relevant because he's Capcom's SF icon.

You just live in a weird bizarro land but Ryu is usually a top tier character. I mean, its true for all of the games I listed-- thats over 10 years of dominance in SF games. Maybe people have more fun playing as Ken then Ryu where you live?

I never pick Ryu or Ken-- to boring IMO. Akuma is fun, has a lot more options and is just tricky guy. Sakura is just fun too. Ryu and Ken seem to be about the same 2-3 strategies and set-ups. BORING.

Go buy the new Warlock series by Marvel. It is good support this title!

Pollyanna
958th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:03post reply

quote:

This seems like a bizarre questions coming from you Exodus, I mean, I always thought of you having a lot of arcade wisdom and such. Anyhow, my answer:

Yes, people play ryu. Who knows why you live in a 'ryu black hole'.

Ryu is relevant because he's a good character too choose in CvS1, CvS2, ST, SFA2, SFA3, 3S but not in PF and MvC2. He's relevant because he's Capcom's SF icon.

You just live in a weird bizarro land but Ryu is usually a top tier character. I mean, its true for all of the games I listed-- thats over 10 years of dominance in SF games. Maybe people have more fun playing as Ken then Ryu where you live?

I never pick Ryu or Ken-- to boring IMO. Akuma is fun, has a lot more options and is just tricky guy. Sakura is just fun too. Ryu and Ken seem to be about the same 2-3 strategies and set-ups. BORING.

This is nice and all, but he's asking what makes him more viable than Ken. Other than being an icon, that is.

EddyT
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:27post reply

CvS2 Ryu: Solid rushdown game. Not as crazy as Ken's, nor does he have as much guard break potential, but still a solid character. His super hurricane kick is a bit better for block damage than any of Ken's supers, since it sucks you in. Ultra safe as a Lvl 3.

CE: Faster fireballs and a slightly more solid Shoryuken makes him safer, me thinks. His one-hit knockdown hurricane kick is also a preference in Turbo, compared to Ken's egg-beater kick.

Alpha 2: Again, solid choice to use. Has good Custom Combo abilities and can play offensive or defensive. I think Ken excels over him due to his Alpha Counter being so good (kick version) and Ken having CCs that give out more damage.

Satoshi Miwa
2772th Post

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:39post reply

Actually I play Ryu alot, to actually feel out the changes to a fighting game system or engine. His basic game is still the same for the most part, and doesn't have such a wide variety of changes that Ken and Chun Li have gone through in the years.

I suspect that's why Capcom keeps him around, to have him as the safe choice for people in new fight games. Like SF3, the parry system plus a new character may through some for a loop. But Ryu...Is still Ryu...

Juke Joint Jezebel
3366th Post

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:42:post reply

wtf

have you ever been in an arcade?

[edit]
i don't know a lot of technical jargon, but i have learned a lot from experience. Ryu's dragon punch always knocks down. i forgot which games exactly, but there's some where Ken's medium and/or fierce dragon punch just does damage, giving the opponent a chance to recover and fuck you up. same goes with the hurricane kick. after smacking the opponent in the face a couple of times with that multi-hit kick, i almost always land to get my ass destroyed

Satoshi Miwa's makes a great point. although the other characters change from game to game, Ryu's game is just about the same in each game. he's just someone safe and proven reliable that people can fall back on

people pick Ken because, i dunno. he has flames, i guess

quote:
2) Shoryuken - F,D,DF+P

What's a Shotokan w/o an uppercut? Always use the HP version
cause its high priority does not make it much of a risk.

lol
faqs are Helpful

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Tue 29 Mar 11:03]

Dragon-warrior
1246th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:49post reply

in CVS2 it comes to what groove do you choose? A C N are very good for ken specially A, with Ryu the best grooves are anything but A...ryu customs suck and so hard to pull out in the middle of a match.
I always stick with Ryu even though he suck when he face a parry player(one hit shoryuken is so easy to parry) but his stand HK is very good as a quick anti air also his stand HP is so god dam good for pocking much like kens HK but it have much less recovery time.

Grahf
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:57:post reply

For me, the differences between Ken and Ryu are almost negligible outside of SF3. One of the coolest things about SF3 is how they exaggerated the differences between these two characters (and Akuma, I guess). Ryu is way slower than Ken, but has way better damage and priority.

The perfect example of the difference between Ryu and Ken is how the hurricane kick is executed. Ken will combo a few weak hits together, while Ryu will hit you once for a lot of damage and knock you away. Both versions have their pros and cons. Sure it's easier to combo using Ken's kick, but with Ryu, even if you just catch the opponent with the tail end of the move you still do the same amount of damage as if you had caught them with the first hit (this is especially helpful if your opponent guesses wrong at when to stop parrying).

So basically, I find Ryu to be better against more defensive opponents since if you trade quick blows back and forth, you'll end up doing a lot more damage. If you're in an uber-offensive brawl, Ken probably has the upper hand since you can milk his combos for more damage.

Personally, I usually end up doing better with Ryu because I am very familiar with his timing and priority, so I can make up for his lack of speed. I'm also not much of a combo freak. Finally, all shotos are really good at linking into super moves, so why not do a Shin-Shoryuken rather than anything Ken has?

Regarding games other than SF3, as far as I can tell, Ken and Ryu contrast in the same ways, only to a much lower degree. In those cases, I feel pretty much the same way you seem to, so I almost always use Ken.

[this message was edited by Grahf on Tue 29 Mar 11:00]

Spoon
845th Post

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 11:05post reply

quote:

By and large, Ryu is picked out of one of three or so reasons: he's good, he's familiar/easy to play, he's not Ken.

CvS2: Ryu is picked a bunch. Not AS MUCH as Ken, but still a bunch. He's easy to use. He has a fireball super and knockdown fireballs. His hurricane kick is a useful super cancel in C. Mostly, he's picked for familiarity; he's not hard to play, even though he's not as good as Ken. I pick him when I'm bored of playing as Sagat.

SF2CE: Dunno.

SF2HF: Ryu is really, really good in this game. Yeah, Ken has touch of death combo, but Ryu's only "unfavourable" match... is what? Dhalsim?

SF2WW: Pick Guile. Screw the rest.

SF2AE: Pick WW Guile. Screw the rest.

SF2ST: Ryu is really good in this game. Ken and Ryu are tweaked so that Ryu has a substantially stronger fireball trap game, while Ken has weird crap. Ken is not better than Ryu here, but I don't know Ken well enough to say that he's worse than Ryu.

SFA2: You have a machine there? wtf. Ken and Ryu are both good. Ryu has very good and easy customs (at low meters, I think Ryu has much better customs), plus his hopkick is worth a damn.

SFA3: Ryu is significantly better than Ken in this game. Hopkick is worth a hella. This game's b+RH (close standing RH if not in Vism) is a normal Ryu will never get again, sadly.

3S: Ryu is picked BECAUSE he isn't Ken. People that get tired of playing Ken but still want shoto can play Ryu. Plus Ryu dishes out stun dmg like a mofo. Higher scrubs like Ryu for his Denjin, which is instant death against anybody who can't parry their way out. Also, Ryu has a kara throw that is worth something.

And that's pretty much how it goes around here, the way I see it.

Spoon
847th Post

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 11:11:post reply

quote:

[edit]
i don't know a lot of technical jargon, but i have learned a lot from experience. Ryu's dragon punch always knocks down.

2) Shoryuken - F,D,DF+P

What's a Shotokan w/o an uppercut? Always use the HP version
cause its high priority does not make it much of a risk.

lol
faqs are Helpful

Hooray for fighting game faqs written by people in isolation.

...which is why you do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what faqs tell you and use JAB DPs.

Outside of... like, WW, Ken's jab DP is always a knockdown! Good lord, have you seen the "psychic" jab DP whoring in CvS2 at arcades? It's disgusting. Throw it out on guess at poke range; if they poke you with ANYTHING that isn't invulnerable (e.g. RC stuff, supers, etc.), they take big damage from counter hit, plus you get off clean AND they get knocked down. Now, people wise up sooner or later (sooner if they can actually play), but if you land it a few times, it does wonders for ticking off your opponent.

And Ken's kara DP combo in 3S is stupid. The typical one looks like this:
d+FK xx jab DP, (kara) jab DP
You won't believe how much damage and stun it does. Jab DP is a knockdown in 3S, too! Important!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 29 Mar 11:13]

CHAZumaru
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 12:27post reply

quote:

I kicked your ass in 3S with Ryu once.

I only use him in 3S, actually. I try to learn Q, but my safe character is Ryu - after spending a little time on Gouki. 3S Ryu has good defence, slow pace, doesn't need a lot of combos and trades well. It's a question of feeling, really. I am more the kind of player who adapts to a character because I like him/her rather than finding a top tier and trying to win at all cost. Which can sound odd when talking about Ryu.

Yes, the original character is dull. Gameplay-wise, it sets the standard for fighters, but it lacks charisma. The outfit sucked. The colors sucked. The ending sucked. In the same category, Ken was more fun, more flamboyant (this is a pun). Ryu - whether in II, Zero or Vs. - is just a boring young guy, really.

Yet Ryu in 3S clicks.

In this game the persona, design and gameplay suit much more the older Ryu. He has always been the clumsy tateyaku of the SFII plot, Ken being the (more convincing) nimaime, but it never made sense until he actually had the age, experience and past necessary to be a valid tateyaku. I also really like what they did to make him feel older. The subtle hints. The raw haircut, the casual gi. No SNK fashion contest. And his colors are mostly good. I am addicted to the Start+LP+MK+HP hidden color, personally. Only a slight alteration of the original, yet it gives such a subtle and different taste. Well yeah, "subtle" is the adjective that keeps coming to me. When talking about subtle food, japanese people have a special term for that feeling, which I forgot, but I remember a friend from the countryside once describing it as something close to 壊れやすく旨い (?). I don't know if you understand what I am talking about. It's for stuff like tofu.

You get this big chunk of tofu bought at Kyoko next to Passage Choiseul in the 2nd arrondissement. The red one of course, because it's firmer and more versatile than the blue one. Anyone who taste tofu for the first time might not grasp it's delicacy yet - it's understandable. They might think it's just a white tasteless jellything. It has more than that though. It's not necessary. It's not blatant. It's just there, needing you to add some of your own to the whole experience. It might simply mean picking the right soy sauce. It might also mean eating the right food before in order to set your palate in the right conditions. Or it might mean emptying your brain and learning to fully focus on what you're eating for once in your life. But it's nothing necessary. You can just look at it as blunt or tasteless, or you can put some effort into it. A matter of choice and priorites in your life.

Same with Ryu. It implies a peculiar approach. With the matter of SAs for example. The Denjin is dangerous, the SAI is more versatile and allows many cheap tactics, yet I can't fathom Ryu with anything else than his SAII. It's how it was intended. There is some poetry in the way the ShinShoryuken is performed, the way it can be brought up, the way it connects with a following joudan... There's no bling bling, no style, no metrosexuality. But it's convincing - and I am not only talking about the fact it takes away 60% of your power bar. There are those hints with Ryu that it might somehow go further with him than you'd think at first, when you scratch a little beyond the surface. I like that about him. I feel... somehow close to that aspect of his character.

That's why I play him, in case it answers your question. 3S Ryu worthed the wait and all these boring Ryus before him.

KTallguy
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 13:17post reply

CHAZ - Really nice intelligent post. I really agree with you on everything.

I think all of the characters are really well fleshed out and developed in SF3 Third Strike. Just the style they are drawn and their animation oozes personality to me, sometimes even moreso than KOF games. That's why it saddens me to not see the series continue in a meaningful direction...

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Iggy
6171th Post

"Re(1):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 16:11post reply

Easy : there is no super combo as classy as a shinshôryûken.
Damn does it feels good.

Also, I hate tofu.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

sabo10
1149th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 16:56:post reply

From what I've seen in the arcade, 3s Ryu's SA3 (the unblockable hadou-ken) is pretty good. Basically, people sweep, and then begin charging just out of wakeup attack range, and then blow this load in the opponents face as soon as they stand up. If you don't be obvious about the exact timing of when you release it, it is difficult to parry. The move is unblockable, and from what I've seen it also STUNS most of the time.

So basically, every time Ryu gets an SA3 bar filled, he gets a free super + stun. That's pretty good if you ask me.

That's a lot better deal than Ken gets with his SA3 "do a flamingo pose in front of your opponent for 10 years if blocked" super

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Tue 29 Mar 16:57]

CHAZumaru
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 16:58post reply

quote:

Also, I hate tofu.

What about hairy tofu ?

EddyT
461th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 17:15:post reply

quote:
From what I've seen in the arcade, 3s Ryu's SA3 (the unblockable hadou-ken) is pretty good. Basically, people sweep, and then begin charging just out of wakeup attack range, and then blow this load in the opponents face as soon as they stand up. If you don't be obvious about the exact timing of when you release it, it is difficult to parry. The move is unblockable, and from what I've seen it also STUNS most of the time.

So basically, every time Ryu gets an SA3 bar filled, he gets a free super + stun. That's pretty good if you ask me.

That's a lot better deal than Ken gets with his SA3 "do a flamingo pose in front of your opponent for 10 years if blocked" super

That move is pretty much guaranteed, though... when you link with a normal, like a low forward. Also, it is pretty powerful and Ken can store 3 of them, which gives him many chances to use EX moves AND having a super bar to spare. Ryu's Denjin-Hadoken is a hard-to-counter move, but the fact he can only store one and the bar is a lot longer than Ken's... it doesn't put Ryu in a great situation. Also, with Ken's low forward kick, he beats out Ryu's range and keeps him at bay. Besides hitting that move with a well-timed Shoryuken, it's hard to avoid getting hit with that move half the time. Even parrying it is difficult, because Ken doesn't have much recovery time when doing the move.

Ryu's much more fun to play than Ken, IMO. I love using Denjin and using the EX heel kick to juggle opponents. Definitely his most evolved version out of all the SFs out there.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Tue 29 Mar 17:20]

Iggy
6175th Post

"Re(3):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 17:38post reply

quote:
Also, I hate tofu.

What about hairy tofu ?

OK, now I hate YOU.

Also, I have to look for that wine store you talked about a while back.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

CHAZumaru
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 19:12post reply

quote:

Also, I have to look for that wine store you talked about a while back.

Unfortunately, it lost a million points of coolness and (more importantly) competence since it went under new management. I'll try to find where the previous guy went, maybe he opened a new shop somewhere in Paris. It doesn't change the fact that bottles of Chasse Spleen 2000 never disappointed me, especially at the price they cost lately.

Iggy
6176th Post

"Re(5):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 20:45post reply

quote:
Unfortunately, it lost a million points of coolness and (more importantly) competence since it went under new management.
ショボーン
I'm sure it's Modavi's fault again !

Also, cryptic message for you :

The ostrich will be hatching our lovechild tonight.

I repeat :

The ostrich will be hatching our lovechild tonight.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

exodus
2482th Post

"Re(3):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 03:16post reply

quote:

This is nice and all, but he's asking what makes him more viable than Ken. Other than being an icon, that is.

Thanks polly :D

EddyT: yeah, I was thinking about his super hurricane kick as one of the better ones...and good point on the custom combo for SFa2. But then - SFa2 is one of the most balanced capcom fighters ever, so it makes sense there...

jjj: no, people play ken for the reasons I mentioned, I think. I also test ryu for the consistancy thing, but I don't actually play with him. I do know that people play him in competitions sometimes, I just don't know why yet.

Dragon-warrior: I use C or S...so that could explain a bit.

Chaz: I see what you are saying, and that makes sense for more sensetive players, but I tend to find that it's mostly the 'gonna kick your ass' guys who use Ryu - and yes you kicked my ass in SF3, but my little sister could do that, I just can't play that game for shit. I think like Tristan or somebody even beat me.

I see Grahf and Spoon's points about the priority and knockdowns though, as well as the strength of his hits. In a way, perhaps you could say he's the haohmaru of the SF universe? Strong hits, a bit slower, maybe more tactical, slightly less aggressive in some ways, but more aggressive in others (ie sheer power).

I can see it looking at it that way. I think I'll play some more CvS 2 this week (maybe on S groove) and see how it feels.

--
Thanks everyone! I think I understand it a bit better. Ken will probably remain my favorite shoto (though I love sakura too), but I think I have a grasp of ryu's strengths. Basically, it's a different play mechanic than I usually use - I'm very tap-heavy when I play, lots of lights, then strongs, with little midrange. This makes a lot of sense for Ken's playstyle, but with Ryu, it seems like one should concentrate more on the middle and high, which is a totally different aesthetic than my usual style of play. It was interesting to hear everyone's opinions on this - proof positive that the mmc is still my favorite board!

Sano
1642th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 06:45post reply

I play Ryu, but everything I wanted to say has already been said... I use Chun-Li more than Ryu though with Ken being a third behind. Ryu fits my style of play more than Ken, but that's me.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

nobinobita
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 09:24post reply

"When talking about subtle food, japanese people have a special term for that feeling, which I forgot, but I remember a friend from the countryside once describing it as something close to 壊れやすく旨い (?)."

I believe the word you are searching for is "Umami," the 5th taste sensatiion that many people are incapable of experiencing if they are not exposed to umami tasting foods at a young age (such as tofu or seaweed).

For more info go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Spoon
848th Post

"Re(3):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 09:39:post reply

quote:

I believe the word you are searching for is "Umami,"

Isn't that the thing that MSG and glutamates trigger?

EDIT: I should read the whole post.
quote:
For more info go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 30 Mar 09:39]

CHAZumaru
81th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 10:24post reply

quote:
I believe the word you are searching for is "Umami,"

Bingo.

Bata kun
2605th Post

"Re(4):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 10:35:post reply

The fight is all guy is like what everyone said. A simple character that packs a lot of power and is more of a defensive character, which I tend to be. Of course, that first trait I mentioned is the reason why I only pick him once in a blue moon in "Gem Fighter". Of all of the fighters I play, this is the only one where I can say this. Kicking people with a horse is cool! =P

[this message was edited by Bata kun on Wed 30 Mar 10:36]

Nate
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 11:05post reply

quote:
The fight is all guy is like what everyone said. A simple character that packs a lot of power and is more of a defensive character, which I tend to be. Of course, that first trait I mentioned is the reason why I only pick him once in a blue moon in "Gem Fighter". Of all of the fighters I play, this is the only one where I can say this. Kicking people with a horse is cool! =P

Actually, that's Ken, not Ryu. Ryu has pretty boring flash combos.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Bata kun
2607th Post

"Re(6):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 12:00post reply

quote:

Actually, that's Ken, not Ryu. Ryu has pretty boring flash combos.

I know. That's why I prefer Ken in "Gem Fighter". =P

EddyT
462th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 16:30:post reply

quote:

EddyT: yeah, I was thinking about his super hurricane kick as one of the better ones...and good point on the custom combo for SFa2. But then - SFa2 is one of the most balanced capcom fighters ever, so it makes sense there...

I wouldn't say that Alpha2 is balanced... it's far from it. A friend of mine, who was a really good tournament player, did a Rolento CC that took off 90% of my life, and all he did was activate when I was in the air. It was literally 90%, I kid you not. CCs were broken wide open in Alpha2, but they curbed the damage significantly in subsequent games like Alpha 3 and CvS2.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 30 Mar 16:32]

Nana!
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Wed 30 Mar 17:05post reply

Had to outright start an account so I could comment on this.

Albeit a solid character, Ryu hasn't been honest top tier since the days of alpha 3 and ST. Watch any vid of Daigo Umehara's Ryu in ST and you will see that he is a monster. Dp invincibility + guage building, an artificial dash through f.SP, and a proper fb lock down game.

V-Ism Ryu was top, along with V Rolento, Akuma, Dhal. Ugly horrible V combos involving proper footsies and then the fram invincibility you get off of activation in V.

3rd Strike Ryu isn't top, but solid fun. The whole "sweep x Denjin hadoken" is old news, people stay away from it because it is a waste of the single guage they offer you with that super. Use super art 1, and mix up EX moves. His EX FB is safe on block and cr.MK x EX FB is BnB. Also, Ken is top in 3S, because he has the tools to beat you in most situations. Ever pay attention to 3S? Alot of Ken, Chun, and Yun..but mostly Ken. And I consider shinshoryuken honest eye candy, but tough to land seriously, unless you fight dudley and abuse the otg glitch.

After people stopped only using A in CVS2, many came to realize stuff like C Ryu and C Guile were dominant. They get all the options they need defensively and lovely dmg off of lvl 2 super canceling and advanced links.

Most other games Ryu doesn't hold his own too well haha. But who cares. I like him, and he screams "wompin' time" in the same fashion characters like Takuma Sakazaki does in KoF. But don't think me boring, I play alot of characters haha.

exodus
2491th Post

"Re(6):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Thu 31 Mar 02:16post reply

nana, what region do you play in?

I feel like in california, the bay area is ken-heavy, and LA is ryu-heavy.

Bata kun
2608th Post

"Re(7):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Thu 31 Mar 11:41post reply

quote:
nana, what region do you play in?

I feel like in california, the bay area is ken-heavy, and LA is ryu-heavy.

Ha ha ha! That is so true.

EddyT
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):so - does anyone actually play ryu?" , posted Thu 31 Mar 13:47post reply

quote:
Had to outright start an account so I could comment on this.

Albeit a solid character, Ryu hasn't been honest top tier since the days of alpha 3 and ST. Watch any vid of Daigo Umehara's Ryu in ST and you will see that he is a monster. Dp invincibility + guage building, an artificial dash through f.SP, and a proper fb lock down game.

V-Ism Ryu was top, along with V Rolento, Akuma, Dhal. Ugly horrible V combos involving proper footsies and then the fram invincibility you get off of activation in V.

3rd Strike Ryu isn't top, but solid fun. The whole "sweep x Denjin hadoken" is old news, people stay away from it because it is a waste of the single guage they offer you with that super. Use super art 1, and mix up EX moves. His EX FB is safe on block and cr.MK x EX FB is BnB. Also, Ken is top in 3S, because he has the tools to beat you in most situations. Ever pay attention to 3S? Alot of Ken, Chun, and Yun..but mostly Ken. And I consider shinshoryuken honest eye candy, but tough to land seriously, unless you fight dudley and abuse the otg glitch.

After people stopped only using A in CVS2, many came to realize stuff like C Ryu and C Guile were dominant. They get all the options they need defensively and lovely dmg off of lvl 2 super canceling and advanced links.

Most other games Ryu doesn't hold his own too well haha. But who cares. I like him, and he screams "wompin' time" in the same fashion characters like Takuma Sakazaki does in KoF. But don't think me boring, I play alot of characters haha.

What you say is very true. Ryu still can scare people if used correctly, but he doesn't have the cheap high-priority, low-risk moves that other SF characters have received. Which is the way it should be with Ryu.

V-Ryu was crazy... I remember people explaining to me how he had a V-combo for almost every situation... close-in, jump-in, anti-air... you name it.