Industry paying attention to DC Homebrews? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2955 Views )

OmegaDog
1475th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Industry noticing commercial DC Homebrews?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 09:01:post reply

This might be worth keeping an eye on. If what this thread says is true, then industry insiders are paying attention to commercial Dreamcast homebrew releases as a possible cheap method of releasing niche titles and still making money. (Though, the thread is more about how to improve the professional quality of commercial homebrew releases.)

Link Here

[ The thread linked was started by Dan Loosen, an operator of the GOAT Store. The GOAT Store has so far commercially published three Dreamcast homebrew titles: Feet of Fury, a rhythm game compatible with dance pad, controller, and even keyboard; Inhabitants, a quick-thinking-type tile puzzler; and Maqiupai, a mahjongg game.]

I'm wondering though -- even though the developers aren't using any of Sega's development tools, wouldn't some kind of license fee still apply for selling commercial software on the Dreamcast hardware? Or is my understanding of console licensing a bit flawed?

Also -- though I myself might be interested in what comes out -- what's really the market size here?

(... or maybe I just oughta quiet down and see what comes out regardless.)

[Oh, and though a mention of Triangle Service might come up -- they used Sega's development tools, didn't they?]

"IT'S PAYBACK TIME..." "LOCKED AND LOADED!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Mon 28 Mar 09:20]

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1132th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Industry noticing commercial DC Homebre" , posted Mon 28 Mar 10:02post reply

quote:

I'm wondering though -- even though the developers aren't using any of Sega's development tools, wouldn't some kind of license fee still apply for selling commercial software on the Dreamcast hardware? Or is my understanding of console licensing a bit flawed?

Also -- though I myself might be interested in what comes out -- what's really the market size here?

(... or maybe I just oughta quiet down and see what comes out regardless.)

[Oh, and though a mention of Triangle Service might come up -- they used Sega's development tools, didn't they?]

I don't think any licensing fees are owed to Sega unless proprietary software is being used. Consider the Tengen/Nintendo case. Tengen found a way to bypass the protection on the NES and used that to produce their own NES games without paying licensing fees to Nintendo. Then Nintendo tried to take them to court and I believe Nintendo lost.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."