What's up with the US PSP sales? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4866 Views )

legalstep
66th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 05:26post reply

Is it priced to high? Are the games to expensive? Are people at Nintendo laughing?

It seems the hottest gadget of the spring is pretty easy to get?

Any theories, ideas as to why this happened?

Replies:

exodus
2460th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 06:12post reply

quote:

yes!
good preparation. I think most stores had it for at least a week in advance, making a bit of that 'unavailable' stuff more hype-ish.

certainly I'd say it's too expensive for most people to go out and get right away. If the Nintendo people are smart, the next gameboy will launch at $150 or less.

Fygee
1168th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 06:58post reply

Pixels are dying left and right with the first shipment of US PSPs, so I'd recommend staying far away from it until the second shipment/first revision is released.

Fuchikoma
1238th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 09:36post reply

Yeah I've seen a lot of dead pixel reports... and a lot of them seem to be in the same general screen area. A lot of people are also reporting a ring shaped scratch on the screen.

I was just up at Gamestop buying a multi-tap.. and they still had a bunch of PSPs and all the games. Too bad they didn't have a demo unit...

Sano
1621th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 10:50:post reply

Well, in NYC they premiered it at the Sony building and at midnight they were selling the first 500. I only saw about 200 people on line at 8:00 P.M. and on that night it was raining, snowing, hailing, freezing cold, a terrible weather day. Even I wasn't hardcore enough to wait outside for a few hours for a PSP because it almost guarantees getting sick, but I was curious enough to see who showed up and if they let people wait indoors like oh, I don't know, decent human beings but alas no.

Haven't checked the stores since then but everybody was saying "If you didn't pre-order you were screwed" or "We are not going to have any, don't ask" but if it's as easy to aquire as you guys say it is, maybe I'll be able to find one tommorow. I already have the Darkstalkers game.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sat 26 Mar 10:52]

Undead Fred
2254th Post

"Re(4):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 10:58post reply

quote:
A lot of people are also reporting a ring shaped scratch on the screen.
BEFORE YOU DIE...

But yeah, I was interested in getting a PSP, but I'm going to wait a while first. First off, I can't afford it right now, but since I had heard some bad performance rumors/ reports going around (did they fix that crappy square button??) I was going to wait for some hardware revisions first. Also, I had assumed it was $150, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, how much are they charging for it? $200? $300?

Spoon
840th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 11:13post reply

quote:
A lot of people are also reporting a ring shaped scratch on the screen.BEFORE YOU DIE...

But yeah, I was interested in getting a PSP, but I'm going to wait a while first. First off, I can't afford it right now, but since I had heard some bad performance rumors/ reports going around (did they fix that crappy square button??) I was going to wait for some hardware revisions first. Also, I had assumed it was $150, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, how much are they charging for it? $200? $300?

It's going for $380 Cdn. (BEFORE tax!)around here, and it comes bundled with a bunch of junk that you may or may not want.

I dunno bout you, but that's pretty darn expensive.

Undead Fred
2255th Post

"Re(6):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 11:17post reply

quote:
It's going for $380 Cdn. (BEFORE tax!)around here, and it comes bundled with a bunch of junk that you may or may not want.

Yeah, that's... extremely expensive. I'm sure it's a bit cheaper in the US, but I'm guessing it'll still be in the $250-$300 range.

DarkZero
1175th Post

"Re(7):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 11:51post reply

quote:

Yeah, that's... extremely expensive. I'm sure it's a bit cheaper in the US, but I'm guessing it'll still be in the $250-$300 range.

The retail price is $249 in the US. I bought one on launch day as a gift for someone, so it hasn't been opened yet, but one of my friends at work got one. The screen is pretty, it feels good in your hands, and it seems to play well. Overall, I like it. Great set of launch games, too.

As for the availability, I think everyone thought they would be short-handed because of the PSTwo sales. At work, the PSTwos were selling out immediately during the Christmas season. I think we had like four shipments during the Christmas season and they all sold out within two or three hours. I was also asked roughly twice an hour if I had them in stock. But when I went to work on Thursday morning to get a PSP, they tossed out all of the vouchers for them when no one showed up in line. We sold maybe five that morning, along with six special orders reserved for another customer, and then we had nine left. GameStop had a whole lot left, too.

I think the real problem is that whenever anyone researches it, they realize what the system really costs. The one I bought was for my mother and she really needs a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo for what she's going to be doing with it. So in order to give her a PSP that can do everything it's supposed to, including playing games, playing MP3s, and playing MPEG-4 movies, the total cost of the system is $380 -- $250 for PSP and $130 for a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. That's why the PSP is still on the shelves everywhere -- pure cost. After you stack together a PSP, a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, and a couple of games, you're talking about a serious chunk of change just to start out.

Ammadeau
1311th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sat 26 Mar 16:45post reply

Everyone is too busy playing Phantom Dust, or at least they should be.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Ishmael
1909th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 06:16post reply

When are the hard numbers for the sales going to come out?

Sano
1624th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 06:29:post reply

So I went to my neighborhood gaming store a half hour after they opened. This is the first day they were able to get PSPs and they only got 3. They sold one as soon as they opened and I bought the second one. So from what I can tell in New York it's kind of scarce but no where near as scarce as a Gameboy DS was where stores where putting up signs and saying "We don't have a DS. Don't even ask Bitch!" OK they didn't say bitch but the rest of it is true.

All I can say about the PSP is wow. I didn't get any rings on the screen, pixel problems or anything like that myself, but I guess since the store got them in limited quantities it may or may not have been the first of the first shipment. Anyway, I'm really happy with my purchase. It comes with headphones, a carrying case, memory card, a sampler, a protective sleeve, a cloth to clean it off, etc. And the Spider-Man 2 Movie really looks great! I hope they release Spider-Man 1 on UMD soon.

Darkstalkers - I honeslty had no problems with the controls. I mean, if you've played fighters extensivly on the GBA you should fall right into it. For me there's no need for easy mode, I was doing Morrigan's Jab Jab > short fierce Super Art within seconds. The game really looks great and the colors are much more vibrant than they were on the Saturn. It just makes me want some version of Street Fighter on the PSP more... SF AE anyone? Oh yeah and it's great seeeing Udon's Artwork in the intro! Anyway, beat it with Morrigan and I'm very happy to get my original Morrigan from DS 1 back when her Soul Needle Super Art used to do major damage. ^_^

Tower - That was fun! I got to form my dream DS team, Demitri, Morrigan, and Aulbath. Got up to the 20th floor but dark Bulletta stomped my Ass. That's OK I'll be back...

Anyway, I say F**K a DS! PSP is where it's at! Unless of course those nice people who are behind Shonen Jumpstars let in a certain character. Now what character would make Sano interested in Shonen Jumpstars? Hmmm....

Anyway, I'm gonna see if I can score some Acid next week so I can try it out. Metal Gear Acid that is.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sun 27 Mar 06:38]

Burning Ranger
1130th Post

"Re(1):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 09:52post reply

quote:
Is it priced to high? Are the games to expensive? Are people at Nintendo laughing?

I'm going to say this: I think it is wrong for any company to charge $150+ for a handheld system. I don't care what the machine can do--it's just wrong considering a new PS3/Xbox2/Revolution will cost the same-- and the handheld is NOT as powerful as the console. From what I understand, the systems are about as powerful as N64s or maybe even Dreamcasts. COnsidering I can get an N64 or DC cheap, why the hell should I pay $150-$250 for an equivalently powered machine with a portability and a few extras?

I am disappointed in Nintendo and Sony... they're killing the goddamn game industry with this.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

kurushimi
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 12:10post reply

quote:

I'm going to say this: I think it is wrong for any company to charge $150+ for a handheld system. I don't care what the machine can do--it's just wrong considering a new PS3/Xbox2/Revolution will cost the same-- and the handheld is NOT as powerful as the console. From what I understand, the systems are about as powerful as N64s or maybe even Dreamcasts. COnsidering I can get an N64 or DC cheap, why the hell should I pay $150-$250 for an equivalently powered machine with a portability and a few extras?

I am disappointed in Nintendo and Sony... they're killing the goddamn game industry with this.

I'll be quick to point out that Sony isn't really marketing this as a gaming device per se - hell, they still can't figure out what it'll be, using terms like "convergence device" and "entertainment center" and so forth. And I also wholeheartedly agree that $150+ is too much for a portable gaming console.

With that said though, the PSP is an exception in that it can do music and video, AND has Wifi. Granted, you still have to pay more for memory sticks in order to take advantage of it, but the fact is, a convergence device such as this makes the $250 price tag not so unreasonable - you get similarly equipped PDAs for that kind of money. PDAs won't have the 3rd party game support that the PSP does, however.

Plus, it's not too far-fetched to say that some sort of web browser would be added on later, which makes the overall package even sweeter. I'll admit that I'm interested in the PSP 80% for its multimedia capabilities, and 20% for its games - mainly because I am never bored enough that I would need to game on a handheld. Being able to check my mail at a local wifi spot without bringing out my laptop would be quite handy though.

The GBA had the old-school appeal to it, but none of the current games outside of Lumines interests me for the PSP. Which brings me to another point - $40 and $50 is too much for handheld games. As a gaming device, I think Sony dropped the ball on this one, but if they can market its other features enough, they just might break even.

Oh, and while it'll be interesting to see the sales figures, I would also like to see the return rate. My best friend just went hunting for a PSP today - most of the game stores seem to have only enough for pre-orders, but Best Buy stores in my area had them readily available. He had to open 5 boxes at the store though, before he found one free of dead pixels.

I haven't seen any reports of flying UMDs though, so I guess sony took out the weapon capabilities...

beto
837th Post

"Re(3):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 13:14:post reply

There are people already browsing the net on the PSP, according to the IC forums (PSP in America thread).

[this message was edited by beto on Sun 27 Mar 23:20]

Moriya
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 15:31post reply

quote:
A lot of people are also reporting a ring shaped scratch on the screen.

It's Sadako.

"Tsuki yo ni agake."

Sano
1626th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Sun 27 Mar 21:59post reply

quote:

It's Sadako.

We're in the US. It's Samara!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

EddyT
452th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 02:51:post reply

I broke down and got a PSP yesterday. The price did hurt my pocketbook, but I am really happy playing games like Ridge Racer and Wipeout Pure. The games look very sleek and sexy, and the controls are really responsive.

I've always been a fan of portable systems, and this is by far the nicest one I've come across. The screen has a very nice resolution and it was great watching the Spiderman 2 movie that came with it. I don't know how much these UMD movies would cost, but I wouldn't mind purchasing a few of them for long road trips.

What's even better is that if you get a 1 gig Memory Stick Duo, you have the potential to upload quite a few movie files to your PSP. A friend of mine said that they have already figured out a way to convert many movie files (DIVX, wmv, avi, etc.) to a readable PSP movie file.

The only drawback is that I have 2 dead pixels on my PSP. I'm going to end up exchanging it for another when my local EB gets more.

Granted, the cost of the system was a bit pricey, but was it worth it? I would say so, for my case. It's got a lot of nice features that warrant the higher price tag, and the potential this system has is huge. I would much rather pay $250 for a portable system that's leaps and bounds better overall and an immersive experience than buy a $150 Nintendo DS that is only marginally better and is very gimmicky. Not to mention the titles the PSP has now are much more interesting to me than what the DS has. Besides Castlevania, I have no interest in any current or future DS titles. I have the two aformentioned PSP titles, and I plan to get Lumines, Metal Gear Acid, Namco Museum and Hot Shots Golf in the future.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Mon 28 Mar 02:53]

Amakusa
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 07:43post reply

quote:

Granted, the cost of the system was a bit pricey, but was it worth it? I would say so, for my case. It's got a lot of nice features that warrant the higher price tag, and the potential this system has is huge. I would much rather pay $250 for a portable system that's leaps and bounds better overall and an immersive experience than buy a $150 Nintendo DS that is only marginally better and is very gimmicky.

I can't help but think that anyone that buys a PSP and worships its features, and then denounces the DS because it's gimmicky is a total retard. Do you have any idea what you just bought?

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

EddyT
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 07:53:post reply

quote:

I can't help but think that anyone that buys a PSP and worships its features, and then denounces the DS because it's gimmicky is a total retard. Do you have any idea what you just bought?

Can you explain further, please? I did not say that I bought a PSP because I wanted to watch movies or anything of the sort. I bought the PSP because the games are a lot nicer, graphic-wise and overall content. Ridge Racer impressed the hell out of me, and there was positive buzz on a lot of the titles I was interested in. Therefore, I bought the PSP. I found out about the quality of the UMD movies and the possibilities of watching movie files after I made the purchase. I definitely bought mine for the games... the other stuff was icing I never expected.

The DS was not appealing to me at all, but I didn't denounce people as "retards" for getting it. You don't have to jump to conclusions and be so hotheaded about it. I was just stating that I don't understand why anyone slams on the PSP and it's price. It's worth more than what people give it credit for, that's for sure.

All the DS did for me was wow me with the quality of the screen... for old GBA games. Why couldn't the SP have a screen like this in the first place? The GBA SP also hurt my hands severely because of the poor ergonomic design. Those are the only two valid reasons I wanted to buy a DS for a short while. Sadly, it was because the DS was the GBA I wanted all this time, but had to go through two other revisions over a stretch of years with the GBA (no backlit function, poor screen, poor ergonomics as well) and the GBA SP (see above) before finally succeeding. If the DS launch library had anything that used the stylus well and had any sort of potential, I would have gotten it for the DS games as well. Unfortunately, none of the launch titles were impressive. Super Mario 64 was blah, Ridge Racer DS totally pales in comparison to Ridge Racer PSP, the Metroid Hunters demo was not promising, and Feel the Magic was fun for only a short while.

The only DS games I'm interested in is Castlevania and New Super Mario, and both aren't even out yet. PSP has 5 games I wanted at launch time, 2 other unreleased titles I'm really looking forward to, and tons of other potential titles I'm hoping they'd create (like a portable Tekken, for instance). PSP wins.

(edited on the fly)

[this message was edited by EddyT on Mon 28 Mar 08:39]

DarkZero
1176th Post

"Re(8):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 08:01post reply

quote:

Granted, the cost of the system was a bit pricey, but was it worth it? I would say so, for my case. It's got a lot of nice features that warrant the higher price tag, and the potential this system has is huge. I would much rather pay $250 for a portable system that's leaps and bounds better overall and an immersive experience than buy a $150 Nintendo DS that is only marginally better and is very gimmicky.

So we're retarded for liking the features of one handheld over another, because we think that one has useful features and the other does not? What makes things like Pictochat, a touch screen, a microphone, and even dual screens "gimmicky" is that I don't think I'd use them very often. I have no interest in Pictochat, I'll never use the touch screen in any game that gives me the option of using standard controls, the microphone's use is limited, and many DS games don't seem to be doing anything truly useful with the second screen.

The PSP, on the other hand, is a lot of things that I've been looking for for a long time. Most importantly, it plays XviD movies. My family has wanted a portable DVD player for quite awhile, but the problem is that we watch more TV shows or anime with XviD than actual DVD movies, and XviD playback in DVD players is hit and miss. The PSP plays XviD perfectly and it does it on a really pretty screen. And in addition to that, it plays games (ones that I like, unlike the DS), it plays MP3s, and with a 1GB Memory Stick Duo, you can use all of its features on the same trip.

I think those features are what's really selling a lot of PSPs. People think that it's insanely pricy at first, but when they realize that it's essentially taking the place of a GBA, a fairly high-end portable DVD player (I've never seen one with a screen this good), and a 512MB-1GB MP3 player, it's not really that bad. Add web browsing and the possibility of basic NES or SNES emulation, and the price seems a little less ridiculous. I still hate Memory Sticks, though.

I should still note that I don't think the DS would be a bad system if it had better games. Right now there's just nothing that I'm interested in besides Castlevania, which is how a lot of people feel about it. The PSP has me interested in Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Metal Gear Acid, and Ape Escape at launch, as well as Meteos in the future. I can't say that for the DS.

CrazyMax
405th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 08:36post reply

quote:

Is it priced to high? Yup.
Games? Some. KoffEAKoff
Nintendo laughing? Hope not.

Why is the PSP so easy to get, while the DS intially sold like crazy? Simple. The DS was released for X-Mas. The PSP was released to inflate Sony US final year numbers. Right before tax time. For the most part, who's got that kinda expendable cash now. Also Sony decided to start their mainstream advertising campaign the week of. The week of? When did they start letting the world know about the PS and PS2? Months in advance. Only hardcore gamers really were aware of the system.

Not the biggest contingent if you want large mainstream sales.

Also it seems Sony & the PSP have generated some serious hate amongst some. The majority of reports you hear about massive amounts of dead pixels & etc. are from people who 'heard'. People that have systems and dead pixels seem to be of the variety of "Oh, I returned it and got another", and are happy with the system. Of course there are extremes but that's to be expected. But a lot of negative stuff seems to be mainly from those who didn't or couldn't get a system for whatever reason.

The PSP is a pretty impressive piece of technology. I spent my first day with it, just loading stuff on and only occasionally playing games.

I've since loaded the Samurai Champloo soundtrack, Samurai Champloo's first episode, a dozen pics, a few favorite songs, the new Star Wars trailer, Kill Bill 1 trailer, Final Fantasy AC trailer, and saves for Wipeout Pure & Ridge Racers. That's a pretty impressive variety of things for one system.

They've also found that Wipeout Pure has it's own little internet browser hidden in there. So now you can do limited surfing online, as well as play people online from a portable.

An impressive piece of technology, that unfortunately has to get out now in a half assed release, so as not to compete with the next gen systems coming our way year end. Sales will be lacking for awhile, but ask someone who has one, that could really give a rat's ass about that.

Burning Ranger
1131th Post

"Re(3):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 09:59post reply

quote:

I'll be quick to point out that Sony isn't really marketing this as a gaming device per se - hell, they still can't figure out what it'll be, using terms like "convergence device" and "entertainment center" and so forth. And I also wholeheartedly agree that $150+ is too much for a portable gaming console.

With that said though, the PSP is an exception in that it can do music and video, AND has Wifi. Granted, you still have to pay more for memory sticks in order to take advantage of it, but the fact is, a convergence device such as this makes the $250 price tag not so unreasonable - you get similarly equipped PDAs for that kind of money. PDAs won't have the 3rd party game support that the PSP does, however.

Plus, it's not too far-fetched to say that some sort of web browser would be added on later, which makes the overall package even sweeter. I'll admit that I'm interested in the PSP 80% for its multimedia capabilities, and 20% for its games - mainly because I am never bored enough that I would need to game on a handheld. Being able to check my mail at a local wifi spot without bringing out my laptop would be quite handy though.

The GBA had the old-school appeal to it, but none of the current games outside of Lumines interests me for the PSP. Which brings me to another point - $40 and $50 is too much for handheld games. As a gaming device, I think Sony dropped the ball on this one, but if they can market its other features enough, they just might break even.

Oh, and while it'll be interesting to see the sales figures, I would also like to see the return rate. My best friend just went hunting for a PSP today - most of the game stores seem to have only enough for pre-orders, but Best Buy stores in my area had them readily available. He had to open 5 boxes at the store though, before he found one free of dead pixels.

I haven't seen any reports of flying UMDs though, so I guess sony took out the weapon capabilities...

I think all of that bullshit about the PSP is a convergence machine is exactly that: BULLSHIT. First, it has the Playstation brand attached to it, which will automatically classify it as a game platform in the eyes of the mainstream. Everything else will be secondary. Have the commercials for the PSP flaunted real MP3 support? Hell, considering MP3 support, there are better alternatives out there (will people go to the gym using PSPs as their Mp3 players?).

Still, I'm going back to the PSP as a portable gaming machine, which is what the mainstream will see it as. With that in mind, $250 is way too much, considering the PS3 will probably cost as much at launch. I think that's going to hurt Sony.

CrazyMax
406th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 10:18post reply

quote:

I think all of that bullshit about the PSP is a convergence machine is exactly that: BULLSHIT. First, it has the Playstation brand attached to it, which will automatically classify it as a game platform in the eyes of the mainstream. Everything else will be secondary. Have the commercials for the PSP flaunted real MP3 support? Hell, considering MP3 support, there are better alternatives out there (will people go to the gym using PSPs as their Mp3 players?).

Still, I'm going back to the PSP as a portable gaming machine, which is what the mainstream will see it as. With that in mind, $250 is way too much, considering the PS3 will probably cost as much at launch. I think that's going to hurt Sony.

I don't think Sony is stressing anyone aspect of the unit, because it doesn't do anything better than a machine made for that particular aspect. Yeah, you can find a ton of better mp3 machines for cheaper, you could get a portable dvd player & play the vast number of dvds available now. It's graphics are as tight as a game system now, but would you play on a screen that small?

What they are trying for is that it's a system that does MANY things. That's what's impressive about the system.

What's also impressive is how monumentally lame their advertising campaign is. Go Sony!

DarkZero
1177th Post

"Re(4):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 11:36post reply

quote:

So it has tons of features other than games, but you're going to ignore them so that you can just call it an over-priced game machine, even though there's clearly people watching movies on it in the commercials, and it comes with a movie, and half of what you see of the PSP on the commercials is the menu bar with games, movies, and music listed on it.

If you just want a flame war, there's another, more appropriate forum for it. It's called GameFAQs.

Rid
6504th Post

"Re(5):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 12:11post reply

But... only in a Nomad you can play Rocketknight Adventures!

Shin_ATproof
1162th Post

"Re(5):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 13:18:post reply

quote:

So it has tons of features other than games, but you're going to ignore them so that you can just call it an over-priced game machine, even though there's clearly people watching movies on it in the commercials, and it comes with a movie, and half of what you see of the PSP on the commercials is the menu bar with games, movies, and music listed on it.

If you just want a flame war, there's another, more appropriate forum for it. It's called GameFAQs.

I agree...
The same goes for anyone that calls the DS a system with gimmicky features and doesn't have any mustbuy titles, etc, etc, etc and then goes "look at what the PSP can do, I like it better".

Its useless fanboy pandering. People trying to justify their purchase or loyalty to Nintendo/Sony deserve to a swift kick in the ass. The DS and PSP are both great handhelds which offer alot of what their made for. Why people can't accept that fact, I'll never fully understand, I see no point in bashing one system and prasing another or some need to play favorites.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Mon 28 Mar 13:20]

Burning Ranger
1133th Post

"Re(5):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 13:21post reply

quote:

What I'm saying is that the MAINSTREAM consumer will see it as a gaming system more than anything else. I know better so I know what the machine offers. But the way I see it, the PSP is a "game system that does other things," like the PS2 or X-box (they're game systems that just happen to play DVDs, not a DVD player that plays games, and the PS2 capability was never hyped as much as it could have). I predict that this is how the mainstream will see the PSP. Nothing more, nothing less. Sony would have been better off branding the machine with a name that clearly identifies what it does. With a Walkman, WE KNOW its a portable music device. A Watchman is a mini-TV.

And no--I my intention was not to start a flame war. I see things differently (I consider myself a realist)--and I'm merely voiceing them.

EddyT
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 14:37:post reply

quote:

I agree...
The same goes for anyone that calls the DS a system with gimmicky features and doesn't have any mustbuy titles, etc, etc, etc and then goes "look at what the PSP can do, I like it better".

Its useless fanboy pandering. People trying to justify their purchase or loyalty to Nintendo/Sony deserve to a swift kick in the ass. The DS and PSP are both great handhelds which offer alot of what their made for. Why people can't accept that fact, I'll never fully understand, I see no point in bashing one system and prasing another or some need to play favorites.

It's not fanboy pandering. That's a unfounded accusation and a copout to lump several people as "ignorant", since they don't agree with your opinions. My favorite series of all time is Legend of Zelda, which is a Nintendo product. My favorite system of all time is XBox, mainly due to XBox Live. I have had systems from Sega, Nintendo, Sony and NEC, and I have played games on each system that made it worth owning.

All I did was post reasons why I liked the PSP over DS so far. I didn't expect anyone to agree (it's the obvious nature of the online forum realm), but at the same time I don't openly accuse people of being idiots or fanboys if they don't agree with me.

PSP just floats my boat right now, and when the DS has anything I want... I'll pick it up too. If people like the DS more, that's fine... I'm not going to argue with them. I'm not a cheerleader. I just want to play good games, regardless of platform. You deliver that, you've got my money.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Mon 28 Mar 14:41]

OYashiroForever
826th Post

"Re(5):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 15:18post reply

quote:

I must have missed the part where he called you a "h0m0" for liking the PSP and said that Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game EVAR!!! So far this has been a fairly civil discussion and if there's anyone acting like a GameFAQs user, it's you for being so easily offended. Seriously... lighten up.

To answer the question, I'd say the PSP's currently unimpressive sales are due to a) high price, b) poor marketing campaign, and c) lack of killer app.

You can't argue the price thing. $250 is well outside of the impulse buy range (particularly for parents looking to get their child a gift) and most adult gamers who can afford that already have an iPod for music and a laptop for videos/etc.

The PSP's launch titles are better than most launches (particularly the DS), but there isn't one guaranteed huge seller among them. Lumines is an amazing game from what I've played, but it likely won't get any buzz outside of the usual geek circles.

Personally, I've never liked portables and never saw the use of them if you're not a child and/or you take lots of long car/plane trips. In Japan, I can understand the practical use of it since people spend a lot of time on trains... and there's definitely been some great games on portables, but not a single one of them would be worse off on a larger screen with more comfortable, better-suited controls.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

EddyT
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 15:50post reply

quote:

Personally, I've never liked portables and never saw the use of them if you're not a child and/or you take lots of long car/plane trips. In Japan, I can understand the practical use of it since people spend a lot of time on trains... and there's definitely been some great games on portables, but not a single one of them would be worse off on a larger screen with more comfortable, better-suited controls.

I can't explain it, but I've always prefered portables. I don't even play my PSP or any of my past handhelds outside of the house much. I guess having a small screen to myself and plugging in headphones makes the world go round for me.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a nice console setup with, say... a 56" Plasma TV.

evilhayama
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 17:10post reply

quote:

portables are great if you have an hour long commute to/from work on public transport. I'd much rather be playing games than staring at a wall for that time. I have bough a GBA and a DS so far for that reason, but I the PSP is just too pricey for me. On top of that, I'd spend my life terrified of getting scratches on the damn thing. at least I can fold up the DS and stick it in a pocket with my keys. Folding is my Killer App...

Iggy
6167th Post

"Re(7):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 18:35:post reply

Yup, some people are wayyy to itchy about that console war. EddyT clearly said what he liked in the PSP and what he didn't like in the DS. (but I don't think the Play-yan, the GBA/DS MP3 and MPEG4 player, has been released in the US, has it?)

As someone said, I think the DS is much more suited for Japan and Europe than the US, because of the difference in the public transport services. The DS is designed for people who spend more than two hours a day in trains, and who have to change stations several times during the trip.
Games with long stories, complex systems and so on aren't fit for these users, when the DS titles, being mostly puzzle games or cute platformers with short levels, allows you to shut down the system when you arrive to your station without a look back. Most of the short, amusing and not too deep games of the DS are designed with this kind of use in view.

Also, the touch screen has a very concrete advantage in Asia : you can make a chinese character dictionary out of it. One is already out in Japan (but the dictionary in it is sub-Kôjien quality) and I really hope more and better ones will appear. A Morohashi DS will blow my mind more than any game on any console.

And finally, the DS is aimed at people who normally don't play games, namely women. It does work in Japan, and it's been reported by several guys here in France as a girls magnet.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Mon 28 Mar 19:02]

Shin_ATproof
1163th Post

"Re(7):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Mon 28 Mar 18:41:post reply

quote:

It's not fanboy pandering. That's a unfounded accusation and a copout to lump several people as "ignorant", since they don't agree with your opinions. My favorite series of all time is Legend of Zelda, which is a Nintendo product. My favorite system of all time is XBox, mainly due to XBox Live. I have had systems from Sega, Nintendo, Sony and NEC, and I have played games on each system that made it worth owning.

All I did was post reasons why I liked the PSP over DS so far. I didn't expect anyone to agree (it's the obvious nature of the online forum realm), but at the same time I don't openly accuse people of being idiots or fanboys if they don't agree with me.

PSP just floats my boat right now, and when the DS has anything I want... I'll pick it up too. If people like the DS more, that's fine... I'm not going to argue with them. I'm not a cheerleader. I just want to play good games, regardless of platform. You deliver that, you've got my money.

Let it be known, for the record I haven't called anyone names...yet. The reason is because while I may think ill of the post, that doesn't make me hate the poster or want to get on their bad side. So please lets get it straight I'm not here to flame anyone or try to start a flamewar.

Now...heres what gets my man-panties in a bind.

When I see points of an argument that are like:
'I like the DS/PSP because it has features I want and like.' 'I didn't buy the DS/PSP because Its not a PSP/DS.' and then people confuse that for a viable point in an argument...it makes my brain hurt...oh so badly. Powerful pain indeed.

I mean WOW so you bought a system that fits your personal wants and needs...Congratulations! you've just understood the basic concepts of consumerism! That doesn't equate to any sort or viable argument saying 'system Y is gimmicky thats why I bought system X, I think its cool, system Y isn't cool, thats why I bought system X which has what I want and like unlike system Y, thats why I bought system X[repeat ad nauseam par infinitum]' thats my point.

The DS and PSP are made for two completely different markets. The DS is built almost completely as a game system, you buy it for playing games, and multiplayer and whatever developers can think of with the wi-fi and touchscreen. The PSP is built as a multimedia center, you buy it to play not just games, but watch movies and listen to music. If the price difference wasn't the clear indicator of that fact, the marketing by Nintendo and Sony for their handhelds should have been a red flag waving high for all of the dumbass grossly uninformed gamers that can't grasp the concept that the DS and PSP are being marketed to two very different consumers. Its apples and oranges. The sooner people realize this, the better. There is a damn good change you bought a DS or a PSP over the other and like it so much is because you fall within one of the target consumer groups.

While I do think better of my fellow gamer, this stupid PSP vs DS argument with fans just makes me hate the majority of gamers because they unwillingly fall within this corporate loyalty and have to justify their purchase to whatever product they buy. Just like how GC and XBox ownwers rag PS2 because of 1stGen system problems or how PS2 and GC owners hate Xbox because its Microsoft or how PS2 and Xbox owners rag on GC for being "kiddie" its just random stupidity and while it shouldn't bother me, it does.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Mon 28 Mar 18:50]

Sano
1629th Post

"Re(8):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 01:45:post reply

I have long train rides myself so thats why I play handhelds. Still, handhelds tend to have great games that don't make the consoles - SVC MOTM, SVC Card Fighters Clash, the Castlevania Games, Astroboy Omega Factor and so on to name a few so I can see myself purchasing handhelds regardless. Sometimes when your at home and have time to kill it's a lot less hassle free to pop in a game and play on a handheld then figuring out what system you are going to play, which video channel it's set up on, changing the cord that goes to the outlet and so on, but this is more if you multiplatform and depends on your home set up. I try to keep the least amount of things connected to the outlet at once to avoid a fire hazzard and it already connects via extensions my TV, Stereo, DVD player, VCR, the X-Box since the outlet cable is different, but the Saturn, PS2 and Dreamcast all share the same outlet cable so I just switch it around. My TV holds nine red/white/yellow inlets (three for each color) and surprisingly sometimes it's not enough.

My main gripes with the DS is the lack of third party support. I love Nintendo and there games but it is never enough for me since they are not even my favorite gaming company - Capcom, Konami, Sega, SNK, Sammy, and Nintendo being last of the bunch. To date the DS has 24 titles. The PSP launched with 24 titles. The PSP launched with a game for everybody. If your into sports, action, puzzle games, card games, fighting games, etc. there is at least one game in each genre at the launch.

But I may still pick up a DS. The only game that looks promising to me on the system so far is the new Castlevania Game, but I don't want to buy an entire system just for a series that probably won't innovate that much from the previous sequel and especially when the DS lacks multifuncionality.
Not to mention I still have my GBA and there are still some games I wish to pick up for it. I'm keeping an eye on Shonen Jumpstars to see if it's for me. Overall I have to say that both are very different systems for different audiences as others have said. I'm very happy with my PSP for right now and that's all I have to say about that.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 29 Mar 03:03]

exodus
2469th Post

"Re(9):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 03:28post reply

quote:
The PSP launched with a game for everybody.*

*that has 300 dollars (plus tax!) to spare.

The DS HAS 3rd party support, it's just slow in ramping up. I'm way more excited about Egg Monster Hero, Another Code and Castlevania DS than I am about more PSone-and-a-half 3D games. I think a lot of it for me is the price, and then there's the fact that most of these games feel like console games, you know? I want to play arcade-y handheld games on my handheld. I'd play Metal Gear Acid at home, not on the PSP.

There's also that train thing. I don't use the train so much now that I've all but moved in with a girl who lives like 2 miles from my work hehe.

Sano
1629th Post

"Re(10):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 03:38post reply

I think you mean to say you'll play Metal Gear Solid at home my friend. ^_^

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

exodus
2471th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 03:46post reply

quote:
I think you mean to say you'll play Metal Gear Solid at home my friend. ^_^

I don't! I mean that I would play Acid at home, but not on a handheld, because it's a complex game that requires lots of time and thought, so might as well be on a console.

As for metal gear solid, I wouldn't play that at all ^_^;
I'm much more interested in acid, in spite of what I said.

Sano
1630th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 04:31post reply

quote:
As for metal gear solid, I wouldn't play that at all ^_^;
I'm much more interested in acid, in spite of what I said.

Where's the Hideo Kojima love, LOL!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

exodus
2473th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 05:16post reply

quote:

Where's the Hideo Kojima love, LOL!

ask tim!

Sano
1632th Post

"CrazyMax - Help!" , posted Tue 29 Mar 05:22:post reply

quote:

I've since loaded the Samurai Champloo soundtrack, Samurai Champloo's first episode, a dozen pics, a few favorite songs, the new Star Wars trailer, Kill Bill 1 trailer, Final Fantasy AC trailer, and saves for Wipeout Pure & Ridge Racers. That's a pretty impressive variety of things for one system.

I'm gonna attempt loading stuff today, like the New Star Wars Trailer and some combo vids. Any advice?

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 29 Mar 05:23]

DarkZero
1178th Post

"Re(1):CrazyMax - Help!" , posted Tue 29 Mar 05:32post reply

quote:

I'm gonna attempt loading stuff today, like the New Star Wars Trailer and some combo vids. Any advice?

I'm using PSP Video 9. The best advice I can give you is that if a file turns out to be corrupt when you put it on your PSP, just try transcoding it again. Supposedly these programs sometimes make corrupt files, just like a CD burner occasionally makes coasters.

Sano
1632th Post

"Re(2):CrazyMax - Help!" , posted Tue 29 Mar 05:40post reply

quote:

I'm using PSP Video 9. The best advice I can give you is that if a file turns out to be corrupt when you put it on your PSP, just try transcoding it again. Supposedly these programs sometimes make corrupt files, just like a CD burner occasionally makes coasters.

Thanks! I'll download it when I get home and give it a go.

After the movies I'll probably get into downloading music, but that's gonna take time for me to sort through stuff.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Juke Joint Jezebel
3364th Post

"lol copyright, vibrating controller" , posted Tue 29 Mar 08:02post reply

quote:

/quit

EddyT
455th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 08:51post reply

quote:

Let it be known, for the record I haven't called anyone names...yet. The reason is because while I may think ill of the post, that doesn't make me hate the poster or want to get on their bad side. So please lets get it straight I'm not here to flame anyone or try to start a flamewar.

Now...heres what gets my man-panties in a bind.

When I see points of an argument that are like:
'I like the DS/PSP because it has features I want and like.' 'I didn't buy the DS/PSP because Its not a PSP/DS.' and then people confuse that for a viable point in an argument...it makes my brain hurt...oh so badly. Powerful pain indeed.

I mean WOW so you bought a system that fits your personal wants and needs...Congratulations! you've just understood the basic concepts of consumerism! That doesn't equate to any sort or viable argument saying 'system Y is gimmicky thats why I bought system X, I think its cool, system Y isn't cool, thats why I bought system X which has what I want and like unlike system Y, thats why I bought system X[repeat ad nauseam par infinitum]' thats my point.

The DS and PSP are made for two completely different markets. The DS is built almost completely as a game system, you buy it for playing games, and multiplayer and whatever developers can think of with the wi-fi and touchscreen. The PSP is built as a multimedia center, you buy it to play not just games, but watch movies and listen to music. If the price difference wasn't the clear indicator of that fact, the marketing by Nintendo and Sony for their handhelds should have been a red flag waving high for all of the dumbass grossly uninformed gamers that can't grasp the concept that the DS and PSP are being marketed to two very different consumers. Its apples and oranges. The sooner people realize this, the better. There is a damn good change you bought a DS or a PSP over the other and like it so much is because you fall within one of the target consumer groups.

While I do think better of my fellow gamer, this stupid PSP vs DS argument with fans just makes me hate the majority of gamers because they unwillingly fall within this corporate loyalty and have to justify their purchase to whatever product they buy. Just like how GC and XBox ownwers rag PS2 because of 1stGen system problems or how PS2 and GC owners hate Xbox because its Microsoft or how PS2 and Xbox owners rag on GC for being "kiddie" its just random stupidity and while it shouldn't bother me, it does.

Shin_ATproof: Sorry if I got a little testy about the whole ordeal. I agree that system wars can turn into sports events (root for a side and detest the other). It's disappointing some guys think that way, because they miss out on some great games.

For the record, I was one of those people who actually thought, "PSP is a bit too expensive for my taste", and really doubted that I was going to buy one until the price came down. Then I actually played one for several hours and suddenly I was convinced into buying a PSP for myself.

Nintendogs looks pretty interesting to me... just saw the trailers. I hope that comes out in the US.

CHAZumaru
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"YES." , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:03post reply

quote:
It does work in Japan, and it's been reported by several guys here in France as a girls magnet.

Never underestimate the seducing power of the toilet paper minigame in Sawaru Wario.

Nintendogs will get MANY people laid, too.

Thank you Beagleちゃん

Sano
1635th Post

"My experience downloading movies" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:38:post reply

Well, the link I had for the Star Wars Trailer no longer works since I didn't save before so that was a bust. The combo vid I wanted to download after I had it converted was 68 MB and the limit I had on my Memory Stick was 30 MB after saving Darkstalkers. (DS takes up 2 MB). But I did have a fan made Gundam Wing Video on my PC that was only 17 MB when converted so I was able to download that and it played just fine, exactly like how it looks on my PC. So that will be it for now until I get more memory. I don't think I can tackle the New Star Wars trailer right now. Anyway, thanks again DarkZero!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 29 Mar 10:39]

Joe Randel
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Tue 29 Mar 23:48post reply

I want to spend MORE money on my PSP!!!

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Burning Ranger
1140th Post

"To see why people will buy the PSP now..." , posted Thu 31 Mar 12:16post reply

...just watch the latest South Park.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

The PSP was created by God as a tool to see who can lead the armies of heaven.

End of Spoiler

At least, people in the US will...

crazymike
1088th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):What's up with the US PSP sales?" , posted Thu 31 Mar 12:45post reply

quote:
I want to spend MORE money on my PSP!!!

Expect to see one of these around some rapper's neck on MTV soon.