Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusive. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6473 Views )

Time Mage
2079th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusive." , posted Tue 22 Mar 23:47post reply

Soul Calibur III has been announced, and surprisingly, they made it PS2 exclusive this time. I really don't like at all that move, because the PS2 will harshly limit what the game can graphically achieve (just look at the screens in the link). Also, as many comment, Soul Calibur III is announced maybe too soon: they should have waited for the new console generation. With some luck, they'll announce the game to be multiplatform later, so the GC and XBox versions can get some enhancements.

Anyway, the new fighter announced looks cool, but I wonder if her weapon and fighting style really exist, or if it's an invented one. Also, the "create your character" option looks good to me, it's the next logical step in the Edge Master mode evolution.

Thanks to Vorador's post in the Typeteam forums for the news.

Replies:

JLG
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 00:29post reply

Huh. I thought they were going to do it on all consoles with the exclusive characters again. But the "create A Character" definitely makes up for that, and has potential, if it can be just as flexible as all the wrestling/sports character creation tools (and isn't it about time a 3D fighter proper got one of those features?).

And the new girl with the ring blade looks cool.

Ishmael
1902th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 00:38post reply

Before I say anything, a note about the article itself. Lines like "Everyone can pretty much agree that Soul Calibur II was a disappointment" make my bones ache. To all the videogame journalists out there, please do not mistake your own feelings for the public consensus. If Gamepro's man didn't like SC2 that's fine but don't make it sound as if liking SC2 makes a person morally suspect.

Okay, on to SC3. I'm not sure what to make of the outfit on the girl in green but she has plenty of undercleavage so she can stay. Hopefully some better shots of the other two new characters will be released soon. The CAW sounds interesting but I wonder if it will include new weapons and fighting styles or if it will just let you make up a character who has the moves list of an already established character. While being able to make a girl in a short skirt fight with Yoshimitsu's moves list would be funny I'm hoping there's a bit more to it than that.

Iggy
6115th Post

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 00:47post reply

quote:
(and isn't it about time a 3D fighter proper got one of those features?)

Yes, because the 3 Justice Gakuen never had a mode like that.
(The character creation of Moejus in particular was brilliant, and nearly fun even if it was a board game).

What I don't like is that it's "Soulcalibur 3" and not "Soulsomething - Souledge 3".
I'm afraid we're going with lameass plot and average settei at best. The time of the dark sperm (black sperm?) is definitely gone.

Also, isn't 25 a lot if we have only 3 new characters ? Is there 22 characters in Calibur 2 if you take of Necrid and the rest ?
Raphael, Talim, Cassandra, Yunsung, Mitsurugi, Taki, Kilik, Xianghua, Maxi, Nightmare, Ivy, Astaroth, Voldo, Yoshimitsu, Cervantes, Seung Mina, plus a random guy (Charade/Edge Master/Inferno)= 17 characters. Add Sophitia and Siegfried : 19. Lizardman ? Rock ?

Either way, we need more people from the village of Taki, and an alernate costume for the baker girls where they fight with a stick of bread.

So really what's the difference between a metrosexual and a homosexual?
Metrosexuals are better dressed. Homosexuals are so last season.
What role will the homosexual play in the future?
Gooseberry.

Mosquiton
1549th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 01:10post reply

quote:
Before I say anything, a note about the article itself. Lines like "Everyone can pretty much agree that Soul Calibur II was a disappointment" make my bones ache. To all the videogame journalists out there, please do not mistake your own feelings for the public consensus. If Gamepro's man didn't like SC2 that's fine but don't make it sound as if liking SC2 makes a person morally suspect.

Okay, on to SC3. I'm not sure what to make of the outfit on the girl in green but she has plenty of undercleavage so she can stay. Hopefully some better shots of the other two new characters will be released soon. The CAW sounds interesting but I wonder if it will include new weapons and fighting styles or if it will just let you make up a character who has the moves list of an already established character. While being able to make a girl in a short skirt fight with Yoshimitsu's moves list would be funny I'm hoping there's a bit more to it than that.

GamePro actually knocks SCII twice in that first page ("including uh, that ill-fated number two Soul Calibur"). Well, since their writing is shit I've always been inclined to think the same thing about their opinions.

I agree wholeheartedly about green chick.

But PS2 only, this really seems like it'll be something to tide people over instead of the next step up. Personally I'd rather they waited for the next generation of consoles too... and really put a lot of time into how it plays.

Of course it may feel completely different from SC2, but I'd be genuinely surprised.

/ / /

Rid
6487th Post

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 01:20:post reply

After Tekken 5's endings, they better have Nina and Anna at least like alternate outfits.

And I rememeber Gamepro bashing the first Klonoa and giving Skullmonkeys a perfect score in the same issue, that says enough of them.

Then again is this confirmed? Could be a fake, Gamepro having the first news on a japanese game?

[this message was edited by Rid on Wed 23 Mar 01:27]

Evenor
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 01:34post reply

Ugh,the new character looks like she's from the Unreal championship series.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Daala
990th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 01:41post reply

What! who's writing this! SC2 was a good game.

Anywho I'm just happy to see screens of the new game. Which mean more ass kicking time for me. lol...

The new characters look really nice, :: drooling :: Mitsurugi....wa! Got get more info tho...

Bata kun
2572th Post

"Bata-kun to 'Souru Kyaribaa Surii'" , posted Wed 23 Mar 01:42post reply

"SC II", a disappointment? What were these people drinking? Probably some heavy vodka. It's my game of 2002.

If the game is going to come out next year, which is the case most likely, it's understandable as to why the game will be on the PS2. It'd be surprising, to me at least, if it was released this year. Whether or not this game will end up being multi-platform, I don't know, but I'm leaning towards no right now.

The new girl looks interesting. I can wait for the new characters. The "Create a Warrior" feature will only be interesting if I can get new weapons and if there are new styles as Ishmael said. It'd be nice if I can actually create more than one warrior, but that'd be pushing it. (I would have wanted to make three at least.)

Time Mage
2081th Post

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 01:44:post reply

quote:

Then again is this confirmed? Could be a fake, Gamepro having the first news on a japanese game?

Well, I haven't even thought about that, if it's a fake, it's a really, really good one. Really good.

And on the subjet of the article writer's opinion... Yes, his opinion is the only shitty thing there. You can accuse SCII of not being innovative, but... BAD? Hah!

EDIT: Grammar!!

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Wed 23 Mar 01:46]

Sano
1608th Post

"Re(3):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 02:22:post reply

So I guess they won't do the whole system exclusive characters deal. And I was so looking forward to hearing about Samus on the Gamecube, Nina on the PS2 and Master Chief on the X-Box.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Wed 23 Mar 02:23]

Cdammen
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 02:29post reply

April fools?

In shooters graphics are tertiary.

Bata kun
2573th Post

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 02:33post reply

quote:
April fools?

Too early for that.

Ammadeau
1310th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 03:26post reply

Not when April issues come out in March.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

EddyT
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 03:42:post reply

I remember a lot of people discussing the game as "broken", because of some gameplay issues. People who prefered the original SC were really turned off by changes in SCII. However, I really doubt the reason the game wasn't good, according to the article, was because of the exclusive console characters. The game was in arcades a good length of time before they worked on those exclusive guys.

I agree, they should wait until the next-gen hardware. But if Namco improves on SCIII like they did with Tekken 5, I'd welcome it anyway.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 23 Mar 03:43]

Daala
992th Post

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 04:10:post reply

We've secretly replaced Heihachi for Dante, lets see if anyone will notice.

Uhm yeah! I want to play as Heihachi, that old man kicks ass.

The Game history mode should be fun, I haven't played soul edge in while... come to think of it, we killed the cd for some reason... I can't remember why tho... hmmm.

[this message was edited by Daala on Wed 23 Mar 04:14]

Bata kun
2574th Post

"Re(2):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 04:14post reply

quote:

Eh. Good point, but really, would they do this?

Maou
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 04:16:post reply

This smells of April fools, not only because even the small retarded children who write for Gamepro know better than to call SC2 a disappointment, but also because Gamepro always used to do April Fool's (Lame Pro was the one redeeming feature of that magazine's history), and because PS2 exclusive (HAHAHAHAHAH, you mean PS3 or Xbox1 or anything else that plays the game better than PS2) would be suicide these days.

quote:
I remember a lot of people discussing the game as "broken", because of some gameplay issues.

Nah, we played both in excess of 500 hours and SC2 is obviously improved--aesthetically, I liked the arenas of the original a lot more, but walls add depth, and the game plays quite a bit better(unless you're a Cervantes or Mitsurugi character, in which case, your guy got screwed). But that's a different thread all together.

edit: spelling.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 23 Mar 04:23]

Daala
992th Post

"Re(4):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 04:45post reply

quote:

I remember a lot of people discussing the game as "broken", because of some gameplay issues.
Nah, we played both in excess of 500 hours and SC2 is obviously improved--aesthetically, I liked the arenas of the original a lot more, but walls add depth, and the game plays quite a bit better(unless you're a Cervantes or Mitsurugi character, in which case, your guy got screwed). But that's a different thread all together.

edit: spelling.

Die hard SC1 player were a bit shocked at the game play, but once you got used to it.. I found it to be a reall kick ass game. And yes Cervantes Mitsurugi player got screwed >( .

But the game really had a big improvement from SC1. So who ever wrote that, really needs help or just hates the game all together.

Cdammen
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 04:50post reply

quote:

Eh. Good point, but really, would they do this?

Well EGM did one pretty elaborate with The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Remake. So Game Pro could’ve easily photoshoped some Soul Calibur II screens.

But look at the bottom of the scan, it says May 2005 – not April. I don’t think this is a joke anymore...

In shooters graphics are tertiary.

Sano
1609th Post

"Re(4):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 05:05post reply

EGM had the famous April Fool's joke where they told people Sheng Long (Ryu and Ken's Master) was in SF2 if you beat the game without loosing a round. The joke got so big, not only did it appear in a japanese gaming magazine as if it was real, Capcom USA called Capcom of Japan and asked them if it was true! Of course the rumor was false but this led to the creation of Gouki/Akuma since you have to meet the same exact conditions to fight him. EGM tried the trick again with SF3 years later saying Sheng Long was in the game, people fell for it again, LOL!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Gojira
1663th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 05:26post reply

Sorry, this reeks of April Fool's.

1) Namco would NEVER give Gamepro exclusive content like this.

2) And if they did, Gamepro would not have the stupidity to go off on a tangent about how "bad" SCII was when its writing has never been so editorial-like.

3) The screenshots look largely like SCII stages and characters with hacked colors (remember the X-Box version makes this easy).

4) That new character doesn't really look to me like it was done by any of Namco's artists.

5) It's almost April. It may say May at the bottom of the page but it's likely this person got the issue early when usually a May issue hits stands in the first week of April.

So I call fake.

Off with your nose

Rid
6487th Post

"Re(6):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 06:31post reply

quote:

2) And if they did, Gamepro would not have the stupidity to go off on a tangent about how "bad" SCII was when its writing has never been so editorial-like.

3) The screenshots look largely like SCII stages and characters with hacked colors (remember the X-Box version makes this easy).

4) That new character doesn't really look to me like it was done by any of Namco's artists.

5) It's almost April. It may say May at the bottom of the page but it's likely this person got the issue early when usually a May issue hits stands in the first week of April.

So I call fake.

And 6) Why discussing the PS2 version? shouldn't they announce the arcade version first or at least mention it?

I'm not sure about this being a fake, but it could likely be one.

Time Mage
2081th Post

"Re(7):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 06:40post reply

quote:

And 6) Why discussing the PS2 version? shouldn't they announce the arcade version first or at least mention it?

Yeah, that's the strongest point. As strange as it sounds I'd like this to be a fake: So far, it doesn't look very impressive (maybe because they are edited screenshots, of course).

Burning Ranger
1119th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 07:15post reply

quote:

So I call fake.

I'm not sure about this being a fake, but it could likely be one.

Considering the arcade industry in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if this went straight to console. Hell, I still haven't seen a Tekken 5 arcade setup anywhere in the US.

Then again, why release it on PS2 when we're about to have the Xbox2 and PS3 coming out (at least the Xbox2 has a timeframe)?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

beto
835th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(8):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 07:35post reply

When a (X-Box, GC, PS2) game is inferior to its predecessor (an older, DC game), then it´s a disappointment.

SC2 is broken. REALLY broken. The game becomes stupid quickly. SC2 is basically "step > poke". Over and over and over again. It´s the only way to play, because anything else gets beaten by stepping then poking.

SC1 was much better.

hikarutilmitt
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 08:11post reply

quote:

So I call fake.

I'm not so sure. The date of the magazine certainly is May. I've got the April issue sitting right here and have had it for a few weeks. I got it in like late Feb or so.

Not to say it isn't wishful thinking for Soul fans (or should I say SC fans..?) but I seem to recall EVERYONE that wasn't a Nintendo fan calling BS on Link being in SCII for the GC, yet he showed up. These days I'm less inclined to believe something a fake just because of some of the incredibly surprising things we've seen in the past couple of years (SNK no Xbox with Live? WTF?).

thebigword
161th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 08:12post reply

quote:

So I call fake.

I'm ashamed to say it, but I have the April issue, came out a couple of weeks ago, and SC 3 is not in it. The April Fool's content, LamePro is in it, but says nothing of SC 3.

Maou
511th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 09:05post reply

quote:
Namco would NEVER give Gamepro exclusive content like this.

Best argument yet. Why would Namco give a two-bit US magazine like Gamepro the scoop instead of, oh, say, FAMITSU? The arcade comes first, besides, even in this day and age. Namco seemed to survive arcade releases with Tekken 5 at any rate.

Gojira
1664th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 09:48post reply

quote:
Namco would NEVER give Gamepro exclusive content like this.

Best argument yet. Why would Namco give a two-bit US magazine like Gamepro the scoop instead of, oh, say, FAMITSU? The arcade comes first, besides, even in this day and age. Namco seemed to survive arcade releases with Tekken 5 at any rate.

Moreover there's nothing about any of this on Gamepro's website, or affiliates. A search for Soul Calibur 3 turns up absolutely nothing. You'd think with something like this they'd milk it for all it's worth.

After thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the scan itself was a prank, and this actually has nothing to do with Gamepro.

Off with your nose

Pollyanna
940th Post

"Re(9):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Wed 23 Mar 10:07post reply

I hope this is a hoax because it doesn't look very good. Maybe I just have bad taste, but it looks horribly ugly to me. I'll be disappointed if it isn't a fake and not surprised if it is. (because that would mean that Namco is making "Fake" quality material)

Iggy
6117th Post

"Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclus" , posted Wed 23 Mar 17:55post reply

Damn ! The fact they're talking about the PS2 version without any arcade version first should have warned me...
I hate April season.
But it means there's still hope for the return of the evil sperm, then.

So really what's the difference between a metrosexual and a homosexual?
Metrosexuals are better dressed. Homosexuals are so last season.
What role will the homosexual play in the future?
Gooseberry.

GrandC
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 " , posted Wed 23 Mar 18:28post reply

This is 100% APRIL FOOL!

NARUTO
2964th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 19:58:post reply

being an april fool or not, here comes my two cents...

Why SC3? because Tekken bring a lot's of cashes to Namco, so easy to make an small update on SC2 and then some more easy money.
(there will always fans for those)

Why PS2 exclusive? It's maybe nothing but remeber the Dante rumor?? Or dante is so far a Ps2 character that wasn't else where, so Capcom can easily made a deal, dante is in but only on Ps2, and them namco to say, OK dante must be on SC3 so only a ps2 version will be made.

Why US magazine 1st? Because since quite some month Japanese developer are gone crazy, and they release game in Us before Japan. CFJ, musashi, and MGS are a few exemple, even if they recive an huge amont of letters from angry japanese fan.
Stupidly Japanese company make make US pass first now...

Fake or not? I'm maybe saying foolishness, but IMO it can be real, all info can be taken separatly and then turns possible.
- PS exlusive? see uper post.
- Only 25 characters? well they won't say if TRC can be in or not? and with a characters maker, it'll gives us the bigger cast ever seen.
- Lame graphisms? Tekken didn't look that evolved at 1st, it was only at the lock test that player saw a difference.
- Finaly, if they just update the graphisms a bit, but goes back to a SC1 game systems, the game may turn good...

OH! BTW!!! Can someone tell me how they have a scan of the gamepro MAY 2005 Issue?? Yes look at the bottom!

There is two infinite things in the world.
Universe and Human stupidity...Well for the universe I'm not sure....

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Wed 23 Mar 20:13]

NARUTO
2965th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 20:47post reply

Sano, did you knwo where I can found those SF3 fakes?? curious to see it, if you have them...

Daala
993th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 22:01post reply

I work as a graphics designer and I've used a lot of publishing tools, unless someone know how to use indesign or photoshop real well. It's very close to the real thing. Down to the ghost print that a scaner gives you.

As for the images themselves there are some very strange offset patterns. If this is a fake it's a really well made graphics job. ^_^

Time Mage
2082th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 22:32post reply

A little bit offtopic, but: Great cosplay in your sig, Daala!

Iggy
6122th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 23:22post reply

quote:

Agreed. If I have to remember something from this thread, it's certainly Daala's sig.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

Daala
994th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 23:37post reply

quote:

Agreed. If I have to remember something from this thread, it's certainly Daala's sig.

LOL, yeah my bf and I are huge Mitsu, fans...LOL!

looking around the net I came across this >>

" Soul Calibur 3 To See Release In 2005?

Multi ConsoleReports are coming in that Namco plans to release Soul Calibur 3 as soon as this coming October. It will be available on PS2, Xbox, GameCube and another version that was not specified.
It is highly possible that the "other version" could be the rumored Nintendo DS version. Namco has been talking about releasing an updated version of Soul Calibur for the DS, It would be of no surprise that they would release it along side the console release.
The game is expected to see a debut sometime before E3 this May."

Sano
1614th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 23:38post reply

Lemme see if I can find the SF3 Fake. Either I have it or it's in one of the magazines I trashed. At the very least, I THIIIIINK I can find a picture of EGM's Sheng Long. I'll look for it on the weekend or so.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Daala
996th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 23:45:post reply

OT : this is the full cosplay we made for my bf ... photo here - 3player

and this is me as a dork with my cousin as maxi

[this message was edited by Daala on Wed 23 Mar 23:47]

Riskbreaker
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Wed 23 Mar 23:58post reply

Famtisu this week confirms that Soul Calibur 3 is PS2 exclusive (According to an OPM writer).

Iggy
6123th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2" , posted Thu 24 Mar 00:36post reply

quote:
Famtisu this week confirms that Soul Calibur 3 is PS2 exclusive (According to an OPM writer).

Oh, so the hoolahoop girl is for real? I like her concept, but no arcade port? They could have made the "create your character" on arcade with a card system, it could have been great, and... and... oh what do I care.

Huuuuuum... I hate being stuck on a computer without the most basic 2ch browser. Things like that always happen when I can't have access to the most basic Gikonavy.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

Riskbreaker
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announce" , posted Thu 24 Mar 01:26post reply

OT: This week famitsu also states, "SQUARE ENIX BIG RPG HIGHLIGHT!"

Hmm...I wonmder what Big Rpg will be previewed next week?

Iggy
6125th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announce" , posted Thu 24 Mar 01:53post reply

Even though it's illegal and I risk my life for doing so, here is a scan of Famitsû.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

Ishmael
1903th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur III announce" , posted Thu 24 Mar 02:02post reply

quote:
Even though it's illegal and I risk my life for doing so, here is a scan of Famitsû.

The theme of characters crossing over into Namco games appears to be getting out of hand.

kurushimi
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Thu 24 Mar 03:44post reply

Ugh, this new character just doesn't fit into the Soul Calibur universe aesthetically - Everybody's outfits can be seen to "fit" within the world it's created (although some requiring more stretches than others), but this - I mean, I find it hard pressed to justify perpetually ripped clothes in fanservice spots. The other girls may have been skimpy as well, but it didn't feel quite out of place.

I demand there be a hula-hula technique in her move list.

Iggy
6130th Post

"what ?" , posted Thu 24 Mar 03:56:post reply

quote:

From her design (look at the stains on her waist) I think her entire move list will be hulahula.
If by pure chance I'm not mistaken, then her design and even her SCENARIO will be secondary.

Edit : all three female ? Tira, Yukibana or Yukika or Sekka (probably the weird geisha with a heart) and Sazaramel ? What ? Fighting with an umbrella ? What ?

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 24 Mar 04:00]

Burning Ranger
1122th Post

"Re(1):what ?" , posted Thu 24 Mar 04:12post reply

quote:

From her design (look at the stains on her waist) I think her entire move list will be hulahula.
If by pure chance I'm not mistaken, then her design and even her SCENARIO will be secondary.

Edit : all three female ? Tira, Yukibana or Yukika or Sekka (probably the weird geisha with a heart) and Sazaramel ? What ? Fighting with an umbrella ? What ?

Is it really that out of the ordinary? I could have swore seeing a movie where someone fought with chopsticks. Then there was the big mace that Go Go used in Kill Bill. So why wouldn't it be out of the ordinary?

At least no one is using guns.

kurushimi
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):what ?" , posted Thu 24 Mar 06:44post reply

quote:

....oh god, I think I just answered my own question of why her clothes are slashed up like that.

Fugo
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):what ?" , posted Thu 24 Mar 07:37post reply

quote:

are you making this up or did you read it on famitsu/other reliable source?

3rd Strike rulez ;)

Rid
6490th Post

"Devil May Calibur" , posted Thu 24 Mar 09:06post reply

http://playstation2.joystiq.com/entry/1234000337030927

Burning Ranger
1124th Post

"Re(1):Devil May Calibur" , posted Thu 24 Mar 09:28post reply

quote:
http://playstation2.joystiq.com/entry/1234000337030927

Damn, these people need to reference where this original interview is if they want credibility.

It's a basic rule of journalism!

Rid
6491th Post

"Re(2):Devil May Calibur" , posted Thu 24 Mar 09:35post reply

quote:
It's a basic rule of journalism!
That so many sites ignore... It would make sense, but we'll have for official confirmation.

deisied
295th Post

Copper Customer

"SC3" , posted Thu 24 Mar 12:11post reply

Well, I was pretty pissed at this game. Honestly, the PS2 only announcement was the best thing I'd heard since the game had first been rumored. I was convinced they were going to try to pull off that exlusive character trash again, holy CRAP did SC2 ever cash in. Anyway, I agree with the general idea that this game is way too soon, but I don't think allowing it to be on some other console/s is going to soften the blow of this decision. Besides, SCII probably would have looked better than it did if it was PS2 only, multiplatforming is never the best way to go for maximum polish potential.

As for that new character...great. She just looks like the next best hentai manga fuel since Ivy, and nothing the hell else, and yeah, seeing as how little SC2 added to anything as far as world/story/consistency, it is kinda disappointing that this is calibur, because some offhand system adjustment isn't really going to make the namco-punch-you-in-the-face-for-playing-their-games-single-player sting go away.

Burning Ranger
1126th Post

"Re(1):SC3" , posted Thu 24 Mar 14:24post reply

quote:

As for that new character...great. She just looks like the next best hentai manga fuel since Ivy, and nothing the hell else, and yeah, seeing as how little SC2 added to anything as far as world/story/consistency, it is kinda disappointing that this is calibur, because some offhand system adjustment isn't really going to make the namco-punch-you-in-the-face-for-playing-their-games-single-player sting go away.

Speaking of Ivy--bring her back!

Kaepora
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Mister Dragon Punch" , posted Thu 24 Mar 14:43post reply

Unfortunately not a scan of either EGM joke, but Gamespot has the "screenshots" of Sheng Long as seen in the SFIII hoax.

I never got to see the original SFII hoax, nor the "Akuma in Resident Evil 2" hoax.

NARUTO
2966th Post

"Re(1):Mister Dragon Punch" , posted Thu 24 Mar 18:50post reply

quote:
Unfortunately not a scan of either EGM joke, but Gamespot has the "screenshots" of Sheng Long as seen in the SFIII hoax.

I never got to see the original SFII hoax, nor the "Akuma in Resident Evil 2" hoax.

Tanks for those.

Still I'm curious to see if they'll show something at the next E3...

Ishmael
1905th Post

"Re(2):new scans" , posted Thu 24 Mar 23:15post reply

quote:

are you making this up or did you read it on famitsu/other reliable source?

What looks like Famitsu scans are up and floating around the internet. [Note: the site's bandwidth seems to be getting the crap kicked out of it at the moment so the images may or may not be there.]

So it looks like the new characters are a guy with a scythe, the green chakram girl and the geisha with the umbrella/sword she borrowed from Shurayukihime/Lady Snowblood. Now I'm curious to see what kinds of moves these characters have.

Mosquiton
1556th Post

"Re(2):what ?" , posted Fri 25 Mar 00:32:post reply

quote:

....oh god, I think I just answered my own question of why her clothes are slashed up like that.

Hah.

I guess the practical thing would be to wear something a little stronger than cloth.

While I like the overall design, she looks a little too club-girl to me... and while she's no Ivy she looks a little too much like Ivy (or Poison Ivy a la Batman... going from the color scheme). I'd like to see the second (and hopefully third) costumes.

EVERYONE needs three costumes damnit.

As for Umbrella chick... damn but is she unoriginal. At least give her a slightly different body type.

Oh, and GameSpot has stuff.

"This original feature will let you create your own character by choosing his or her sex, occupation, weapon, and some physical characteristics"

Sounds good, but

"Once you've made your virtual self, you can take the character into the Chronicles of the Sword mode, which is billed as a real-time simulation that lets you watch your character engage in battles."

You'd better be able to play these characters yourself as well... nothing says they've excluded it but I wish Namco had mentioned that in their fact sheet.

Well, it's no April fool, obviously.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 25 Mar 00:38]

Daala
997th Post

"Re(3):what ?" , posted Fri 25 Mar 00:50post reply

hmm.. better image of mitsurugi ^_- ..yay!

Some of these new chracters have a very intersting look to them. I hope they all have 3 outfits, it's a must! LOL!

Ishmael
1906th Post

"Re(4):what ?" , posted Fri 25 Mar 01:22post reply

IGN has a piece up that includes videos.

Mosquiton
1557th Post

"SC Strategy?" , posted Fri 25 Mar 03:25post reply

quote:
IGN has a piece up that includes videos.

That first video... looks a lot like a strategy game in one of those shots... is that what the "Sword Chronicle" mode is?

If it's not half-assed (hell, even if it is) I'll be all over this. As long as I can control my create-a-fighter(s).

/ / /

KTallguy
578th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SC Strategy?" , posted Fri 25 Mar 03:42post reply

Doesn't look bad. Graphics haven't changed much ... but eh...

The question is, will pulling it completely out of the arcades give the producers any motivation to make the game not-broken like SCII?

The sad thing is, in order to broaden a fan base, it's much much easier to care less and less about the actual fighting engine, and make it more basic (which is much easier than making it deep and also accessable to beginners).

I wish that the producer had talked more about how the game will actually play...

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Fuchikoma
1236th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"maybe not PS2 only" , posted Fri 25 Mar 07:04post reply

Looking at the way IGN is talking about the game, and that all of these screens and info are being released by the American branch of Namco... it seems to be the PS2 exclusive only applies for the US. I wouldn't doubt a Japanese arcade release.

You know to me at least there wasn't much of a jump between Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 2... and SC3 seems to be an even less significant update. I really hope they jump to a new "soul" series on the next gen systems... Namco did recently trademark the titles "Xcaliber" and "Excaliber".

Maou
515th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):maybe not PS2 only" , posted Fri 25 Mar 08:40post reply

Ha, interesting. I'l admit I was still about to call this a hoax when the Gamespot SCIII logo was just using the old SCII Nightmare art and the new kimono-clad woman's face looked like Seung Mina, but I guess not..!

What can they improve besides marginally better PS2 graphics? More fun arenas like SCI and all the neato extras like a huge art gallery, missing Siegfried and Rock, and the opening movie direction (SCI opening=all Astaroth, all the time, especially in the "pretty girl in a windy field" scene). Presentation, in short.

I still protest this "broken" critique (sounds like one of those criticisms made once by internet folk and then 'widely' accepted by a small group, but hey), but that still is a story for another thread.

I do not protest the suckiness of the current logo. I'd enjoy something bizarre like Raphael become Nightmare, like his SCII ending seemed to suggest. Give poor Sig a break!

Rid
6494th Post

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Fri 25 Mar 09:33post reply

http://www.webotaku.com/images/agrand/img_news_4253_6 "an evil magician cursed her with Eternal PMS, now she angrily seeks the Soul Edge to break the spell"

KTallguy
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):maybe not PS2 only" , posted Fri 25 Mar 12:04post reply

quote:
I still protest this "broken" critique (sounds like one of those criticisms made once by internet folk and then 'widely' accepted by a small group, but hey), but that still is a story for another thread.

I understand your protest. But the fact is, at high level play most character in that game are useless, and step is the most important thing. Certain characters' step is better than others, so many characters are screwed. This is evident when you watch footage of national tournaments.

But that's high level play. You can have a lot of fun (I know I did) with Soul Calibur 2, and not give a shit about stuff like that. It's just that the Japanese audience won't have anything to do with it if it's too broken.

T5 is actually not doing bad in Japan, I see many people playing it lately... the problems it has are actually quite minimal in the long run =)

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Burning Ranger
1127th Post

"Re(3):maybe not PS2 only" , posted Fri 25 Mar 13:38post reply

quote:

But that's high level play. You can have a lot of fun (I know I did) with Soul Calibur 2, and not give a shit about stuff like that. It's just that the Japanese audience won't have anything to do with it if it's too broken.

Thats how I feel about Soul Calibur 2. Who cares if its broken: its fun, including the console versions with their exculsives (I enjoyed the GC version).

Well, I am a little disappointed with the legit SC3 news. I wish Namco could have created a brand new original fighter in its place.

Rid
6495th Post

"more" , posted Fri 25 Mar 21:07post reply

http://namco-ch.net/ps2_soulcalibur3/index.php

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050325/sc3.htm

http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/soulcalibur3/050325/index.htm

Burning Ranger
1128th Post

"Re(1):more" , posted Sat 26 Mar 01:43post reply

quote:

Goddamn, I hate it how these online news have to put big consipuous watermarks on their images. It just plain sucks. Anyone know where I can get the press versions of the character arts and renders?

Maou
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):more" , posted Sat 26 Mar 02:53post reply

"Taki, what big teeth you have!"
Huh??!
At least she still hasn't found a non-very-form-fitting suit yet, but otherwise the design is madness, madness I say!

Mosquiton
1563th Post

"Re(2):more" , posted Sat 26 Mar 03:00post reply

quote:
"Taki, what big teeth you have!"
Huh??!
At least she still hasn't found a non-very-form-fitting suit yet, but otherwise the design is madness, madness I say!

Huh, I kinda like the new design.

/ / /

Time Mage
2084th Post

"Re(3):more" , posted Sat 26 Mar 03:38post reply

Is it my imagination, or she doesn't carry the cursed sword she had in the other SC games? I mean, her two katanas seems totally normal.

Rid
6496th Post

"also" , posted Sat 26 Mar 04:10post reply

quote:

http://www.soularchive.jp/

Maou
518th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Watcher-tan" , posted Sat 26 Mar 05:03post reply

Ahh, very nice official Soul Archive site, thanks for the link!

I'm surprised they translated the insufferable Kimagure Watcher-tan section for the English site. Nothing appeals to fighting game players like fake interviews with the producer hosted by cute humanoid characters!

Sigh, and they're releasing the US version first again, it's not fair...

Iggy
6163th Post

"Vids" , posted Mon 28 Mar 02:46post reply

I don't know how old it is, but anyways :

IGN

Got Next

Exclusive new design for Taki.

ジュルネー・源氏シリーズ化決定!!!

evilhayama
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Watcher-tan" , posted Mon 28 Mar 17:32post reply

quote:

I'm surprised they translated the insufferable Kimagure Watcher-tan section for the English site. Nothing appeals to fighting game players like fake interviews with the producer hosted by cute humanoid characters!

That "interview" confirmed there's no guest characters too, looks like Dante's going to miss out on starring in at least one game this year...

sibladeko
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Soul Calibur III announced: PS2 exclusi" , posted Fri 1 Apr 16:46post reply

Where is all this unbalance talk for Soul Calibur II coming from?
When the world champion uses Voldo, second uses Nightmare and Raphael, fourth uses Xianghua and Talim, I honestly don't see the "lots of unplayable characters" deal.
And don't tell me the characters not listed above are unplayable (Cervantes, Yoshi, Mitsu, Ivy...)