Those old VG Game Shows... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2986 Views )

OmegaDog
1470th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Those old VG Game Shows..." , posted Fri 18 Mar 04:05:post reply

... yeah, shows like Starcade, Nickelodeon Arcade, etc. I was at least old enough to remember Nick Arcade as a kid. I remember I'd watch it religiously for video game clips (it was one of the first places Sonic 2 was shown, without Tails and using Sonic 1 stage music). Though I remember I'd often be screaming at the TV at how badly the contestants played video games.

While I've come across a page of Nick Arcade's format, I'm having a bit of a hard time coming up with the kinds of trivia questions and the kinds of Video Game challenges presented. Anyone remember off-hand the high-score challenges or completion challenges (or others) the gameshows gave?

(Or, what else might you have to say about the shows?)

EDIT: Oh, and pics of Nick Arcade -- or sites with 'em. (... I'm getting nostalgic here.)
[1] [2]

"IT'S PAYBACK TIME..." "LOCKED AND LOADED!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Fri 18 Mar 04:14]

Replies:

Maou
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Those old VG Game Shows..." , posted Fri 18 Mar 04:40post reply

Bwahahaha, I remember Nick Arcade, and might remember it more fondly if the people hadn't been so inept. At least it was before the era of TV's manufactured "X-treme Tony Hawk-playing gamers!" shows, though. I remember to this day how the announcer said Dr. Robo-nik instead of Dr. Robotnik when refering Eggman. Oof.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Amakusa
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Those old VG Game Shows..." , posted Fri 18 Mar 12:25post reply

I remember watching Video Power (season 2) and thinking that I could beat those snot-nosed brats out of the competition, easy.

I remember Terry (the announcer guy) from the Powerfest tour. He made fun of my dad between competitions because he was reading a book in the tent, and then later gave him a free hat for being a good sport about it.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Black_Hayato
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Those old VG Game Shows..." , posted Fri 18 Mar 13:20post reply

Who would guess that Nick was probably the first to give snk games national exposure almost daily.

Usually atleast one game on Nick Arcade was SNK. I remember Robo Army, Last Resort, Blues Journey, Ghost Pilots, King of Monsters.

They also had Ghouls & ghosts, Sol Deace, and Toki. GMF choices for Nick.