Marvel vs. EA interview - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3638 Views )

Spoon
819th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Tue 15 Mar 11:55:post reply

www.gamespot.com

Questions with PR (as in no REAL content) answers at gamespot. Will be 3D, online, and supposedly simple but deep (whatever..), and with loads of story elements (......).

It doesn't look like trash though, which is nice.

Spidey looks slick.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 15 Mar 11:56]

Replies:

Undead Fred
2219th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Tue 15 Mar 13:31post reply

Here's a link straight to the article for convenience.

Yeah, the game still sounds completely lame. I like how the only EA character they're willing to show is Electrode Retard. The interview's pretty empty of content, as Spoon said.

Gamespot- "So, how will this game play?"
EA- "Glad you asked. It'll be the best game ever with the best control ever."
Gamespot- "How about the characters? Yeah, we saw Spider-Man, but who else?"
EA- "Ha HA! I bet you thought we'd have put Sims in and soccer players but we DIDN'T. We drew us some crazy and super cool heroes of our own! How's THAT for a twist?"
Gamespot- "Ah. Well, so... uhhh... it's a fighter, right? Give us an example of what it'll be like."
EA- "It won't be like ANYTHING! We're breaking new ground and innovation and cool. It'll be the best game ever."
Gamespot- "That wasn't really an example, was it? Name something so we'll have some idea of how it'll play, please."
EA- "Well, so glad you asked. I like Mario Party and that Fusion Frenzy."
Gamespot- "..........thank you for your time."

Fuchikoma
1228th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Tue 15 Mar 14:48post reply

Hmmm, so I see that EA Canada are the ones developing the game. They co-developed Def Jam: Fight for NY with Aki... and if this turns out anywhere close to being as good as that game, we could have a winner.

Dr Baghead
3397th Post

"Re(3):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Tue 15 Mar 15:34post reply

quote:
Hmmm, so I see that EA Canada are the ones developing the game. They co-developed Def Jam: Fight for NY with Aki... and if this turns out anywhere close to being as good as that game, we could have a winner.

I hope they use the DefJam enegine then, if it can make a game as silly as 'rappers wrestle' insanely addictive it's gonna make this game fun... I mean, it already was more fighting then wrestling, just improve the combo system and add projectile special moves (it'd be cool if they kept the idea of winning only by pin, super move, of slamming someone into a stage hazard instead of using a traditional life bar)

...off topic, they could make a really great Mucha Lucha game with the DefJam enegine... I WANT TO PLAY AS THE FLEA IN A FIGHTING GAME DAMMIT!

yeah it's not funny

HAYATO
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Tue 15 Mar 18:54post reply

quote:

Yeah, the game still sounds completely lame. I like how the only EA character they're willing to show is Electrode Retard.

Well, if that's EA's best character, I just don't want to guees about the looks of the others...This is going to be fun, in one way or another.

Ishmael
1890th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Wed 16 Mar 00:52post reply

The news that the producers were looking at free ranging 3D games such as Powerstone and War of the Monsters when designing their fighting engine is interesting since it sounds like they are trying for something different from the efforts of Capcom or Activision's ridiculous games.

The jury, however, is still out on the original characters. EA's man Sparky -or whatever the character is going to be called- is sporting a design that seems more problematic than cool. Can he even do something as simple as take a shower? Do all those metal plugs sticking out of him rust over time or get cold if he's walking around outside during winter?

ONSLAUGHT
3303th Post

"..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 01:01post reply

quote:
Can he even do something as simple as take a shower? Do all those metal plugs sticking out of him rust over time or get cold if he's walking around outside during winter?

He was created by a mad scientist that didn't care about Sparky's basic needs. You know how insensitive those mad doctors are

exodus
2420th Post

"meh" , posted Wed 16 Mar 01:32post reply

*BARF*

tenguman
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):meh" , posted Wed 16 Mar 02:21post reply

quote:
*BARF*

Seconded.
It is just me or the EA guy's answers as just plain irritating?

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Sano
1591th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):meh" , posted Wed 16 Mar 02:57:post reply

T-Shirt wearing Wolverine, silver looking Spidey webs - DA GAME TIES INTO DA MOVIES!!!!

LOL! At the very least, I'm hoping they can get Tobey Mcguire, Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Garder and Michael Chitklis to voice Spidey, Wolverine, Elektra and Thing. Still too early for me to pass judgement on the game but I don't have high hopes for it.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Wed 16 Mar 03:01]

Iggy
6063th Post

"Re(3):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Wed 16 Mar 03:26:post reply

quote:
Well, if that's EA's best character, I just don't want to guees about the looks of the others...

Is it that bad ? It's a not-so-generic american designed character; I find it far better than what I could have expected from EA.
How is it worse than Spiderman's design, for example? Beside the "I grew up with Spiderman, you can't tell bad things about him or I'll kill your mom".

So really what's the difference between a metrosexual and a homosexual?
Metrosexuals are better dressed. Homosexuals are so last season.
What role will the homosexual play in the future?
Gooseberry.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 16 Mar 05:57]

ONSLAUGHT
3304th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 03:36post reply

quote:

Is it that design bad ? It's a not so generic american designed character; I find it far better than what I could have feared from EA.
How is it worse than Spiderman's design, for example? Beside the "I grew with Spiderman, you can't tell bad things about him or I'll kill your mom".

The doggie has a very good point. The design is not bad, you're just dissing it because it came from EA.
I like it, and I mean, I really like it. I don't know why nobody complained about Volgin, even when it's a "silly electric man that fires bullets from a bandolier and doesn't get hurt".
Even when I think the game will be crap, I don't think the designs will be that bad.

beto
830th Post

"Re(1):Marvel vs. EA interview" , posted Wed 16 Mar 05:13post reply

I´ll take this over a CFJ-style MVC3 any day.

legalstep
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):meh" , posted Wed 16 Mar 05:28post reply

This is the beginning of the end. EA can afford to have this tank either way. The Catwoman of fighting games this will be.

OYashiroForever
825th Post

"Re(2):meh" , posted Wed 16 Mar 05:46post reply

quote:
This is the beginning of the end. EA can afford to have this tank either way. The Catwoman of fighting games this will be.

Name the last EA game to sell less than 100,000 copies (approximately the number of copies MvC2 sold across 3 platforms). Go ahead... take your time.

I'm not saying the game will be good... quite the contrary. What I AM saying is that EA is pretty much a money-making factory at this point and most folks will buy their games regardless of quality. (see NBA Live, Need for Speed, etc.)

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Gojira
1658th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):meh" , posted Wed 16 Mar 07:34post reply

I wouldn't get my hopes up based on two doctored screenshots and some PR bullshit.

Off with your nose

HAYATO
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 08:12post reply

quote:

Is it that design bad ? It's a not so generic american designed character; I find it far better than what I could have feared from EA.
How is it worse than Spiderman's design, for example? Beside the "I grew with Spiderman, you can't tell bad things about him or I'll kill your mom".

The doggie has a very good point. The design is not bad, you're just dissing it because it came from EA.
I like it, and I mean, I really like it. I don't know why nobody complained about Volgin, even when it's a "silly electric man that fires bullets from a bandolier and doesn't get hurt".
Even when I think the game will be crap, I don't think the designs will be that bad.

No, I'm dissing the design because "EAman" or whatever he is called somewhat reminds me of a secondary villain who appeared in Marvel's "Secret Wars". I don't remember his name, but it was dressed like a convict, and he even used his iron ball as a weapon. Could he be Absorbing Man? And I always thought Absorbing Man sucked. Although EAman sucks harder. It looks like a half-dressed Vin Diesel with prosthetics...

Sano
1592th Post

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 11:46:post reply

Oh yeah, you mean Absorbing Man. I like Absorbing Man myself, didn't care for the movie Absorbing Man who was... NICK NOLTE HULK'S FATHER!

But yeah, EAman, AKA Bruce Willis with a funky helmet is not cool. Of course Marvel themselves have not come up with a cool character in a looong time. The last good character Marvel created was X-23 and she's just riding the Wolverine train.

I'm curious as to EA saying that they studied up on other fighters. Didn't they realize that in MVC2 no one plays with Amingo, Rubyheart or Sonson, AKA original characters? Although there was a male Sonson from a previous game, but anyways...

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Wed 16 Mar 11:52]

Phoenix
767th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 12:14post reply

As much as I hate EA, I gotta hand it to them. They make some good games. (Return of the King etc.) IF they do indeed use FFNY's engine, then at least people will have fun pitting Marvel characters against each other.

Sano
1592th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 12:18post reply

quote:
at least people will have fun pitting Marvel characters against each other.

Yeah, as a Marvel head, I'm interested in the game for the Marvel characters. Not saying I'll get it, but we'll see.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Undead Fred
2222th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 12:53post reply

quote:

I'm curious as to EA saying that they studied up on other fighters. Didn't they realize that in MVC2 no one plays with Amingo, Rubyheart or Sonson, AKA original characters? Although there was a male Sonson from a previous game, but anyways...

I hadn't played the game in a while, but I used to use Sonson and Ruby Heart...

Hungrywolf
3005th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 13:03post reply

quote:
Of course Marvel themselves have not come up with a cool character in a looong time. The last good character Marvel created was X-23

I know, she was created like 20 years ago.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Spoon
819th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 13:10post reply

quote:
Of course Marvel themselves have not come up with a cool character in a looong time. The last good character Marvel created was X-23

Deadpool was cool.

Sano
1593th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 13:16post reply

quote:

LOL!

And oh yeah, the X-Men Evolution cartoon people created her, (the character, I mean)so Marvel can't even take full credit for that one since she was created by the WB, "Teh Emeny!"

Deadpool's first appearance was in "New Mutants Vol. 1 #98" and that came out in 1990, 15 years ago. Next!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

ONSLAUGHT
3306th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 13:21post reply

quote:
Next!

What about the Ultimate versions? Mmmmmhh, guess that doesn't count...

Then, what about Sentry?

Sano
1594th Post

"Re(6):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Mar 14:28post reply

quote:

Then, what about Sentry?

Sentry's cool. He flew Carnage up to outer space and ripped the guy in half. Good riddens!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

exodus
2428th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Thu 17 Mar 08:02post reply

quote:
As much as I hate EA, I gotta hand it to them. They make some good games.

The only games I ever liked from EA were ones the published in Japan - Rabbit and soukyokugurentai.

Oh, I take that back, I liked Road Rash 2. Seriously though, EAs games have nothing for me. I pick one up, am impressed by the generic nature of it, then put it right back down.

Spoon
820th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Thu 17 Mar 12:41post reply

quote:

Correction: They MADE some good games.

Long ago, especially in the DOS era, EA really made good games. Crusader No Remorse/Regret, Ultima 7... and they published some other great stuff, like Abuse and Theme Park. Those sure as hell weren't generic (Theme Park has about a dozen sequels by now, though). It'd be really unfair to say that EA has done nothing but make NHL/NBA/NFL-year, when in the past they've been behind a lot of good stuff.

Of course, that was then, and today they really do mostly just churn out endless franchise "sequels".

Spoon
821th Post

"Re(6):Mmmmhh..." , posted Thu 17 Mar 12:42post reply

quote:

Correction: They MADE some good games.

Long ago, especially in the DOS era, EA really made good games. Crusader No Remorse/Regret, Ultima 7... and they published some other great stuff, like Abuse and Theme Park. Those sure as hell weren't generic (Theme Park has about a dozen sequels by now, though). It'd be really unfair to say that EA has done nothing but make NHL/NBA/NFL-year, when in the past they've been behind a lot of good stuff.

Of course, that was then, and today they really do mostly just churn out endless franchise "sequels".

Cripes I'm old.

Undead Fred
2229th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Thu 17 Mar 12:43post reply

quote:
Oh, I take that back, I liked Road Rash 2. Seriously though, EAs games have nothing for me. I pick one up, am impressed by the generic nature of it, then put it right back down.

Heh heh heh. Road Rash 2... man, I had forgotten all about that. Yeah, other than that, the only real EA game I had ever liked was the Sims...... although that was a Maxis game technically, and I had gotten the impression that their soul was eaten by EA at some point after the first Sims... so they just sort of became EA games? Not sure about that, though.