Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 17:41post reply

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2005/03/11/103,1110529767,37249,0,0.html

Replies:

NARUTO
2943th Post

user profileedit/delete message

"Re(1):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 20:27:post reply

Can't a good video game stay a video game, without being turned into a crappy movie??.......

There is two infinite things in the world.
Universe and Human stupidity...Well for the universe I'm not sure....

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Sun 13 Mar 04:19]

Shin_ATproof
1154th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 21:13post reply

Well I think it will be rather difficult to screw up a Onimusha or Devil May Cry movie......

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

DarkZero
1152th Post

"Re(3):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 22:02post reply

quote:
Well I think it will be rather difficult to screw up a Onimusha or Devil May Cry movie......

You'd think it would be difficult to screw up a game about a special forces team invading a house full of zombies that eventually becomes a sci-fi/horror plot about human beings making zombies in laboraties, but it still took place in an office building ruled by a tacky Alice in Wonderland reference, and Milla Jovovich still jump-kicked a zombie dog in the face. How you can actually take a plotline that sounds like a bad Sci-Fi Channel movie filmed in Prague for a buck-fifty an hour and still feel the need to completely change it around for the movie version is beyond me.

quote:
Can a good video stay a video game, without being turned into a crappy movie??.......

Not if it's owned by Capcom. Expect "Megaman", starring an aging Kurt Russell as an android sent back in time to save his wife from being killed in a horrific UPS truck accident ("What Can Brown Do For You?") while shopping for vintage 2004 Converse shoes.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
"I, Robot" sucked.

End of Spoiler

Shin_ATproof
1156th Post

"Re(4):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 22:45:post reply

quote:

You'd think it would be difficult to screw up a game about a special forces team invading a house full of zombies that eventually becomes a sci-fi/horror plot about human beings making zombies in laboraties, but it still took place in an office building ruled by a tacky Alice in Wonderland reference, and Milla Jovovich still jump-kicked a zombie dog in the face. How you can actually take a plotline that sounds like a bad Sci-Fi Channel movie filmed in Prague for a buck-fifty an hour and still feel the need to completely change it around for the movie version is beyond me.

Regardless if the Resident Evil movie didn't follow the plot of the original Biohazard games. It was still a decent video game movie with a cohesive plot. It was a sidestory that acted partially as a prequel. The director did his homework when he made the movie. Sure, there were some silly action scenes like the fight with the dogs but come on...it isn't like the Video games haven't going the way of absurdity. How about Code Veronica where we know have Orochi Wesker? Yeah and lets not even get into 4...

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Sat 12 Mar 22:46]

DarkZero
1153th Post

"Re(5):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 23:21post reply

quote:

Regardless if the Resident Evil movie didn't follow the plot of the original Biohazard games. It was still a decent video game movie with a cohesive plot. It was a sidestory that acted partially as a prequel. The director did his homework when he made the movie. Sure, there were some silly action scenes like the fight with the dogs but come on...it isn't like the Video games haven't going the way of absurdity. How about Code Veronica where we know have Orochi Wesker? Yeah and lets not even get into 4...

I think I may have misspoke. I didn't mean that the Resident Evil movie sucked, just that it wasn't really Resident Evil. It wasn't about a normal human being fighting off zombie hordes and struggling to survive, it was about some sort of amnesiac Umbrella super-soldier kicking zombie ass. So could I see an Onimusha where the main character is an American who learns to use a katana from an over-the-hill ninja sensei? Yeah. Could I see a Devil May Cry where Dante and Vergil aren't brothers, but they're fighting a villain named Sparda, who isn't either of their fathers? Yeah, I could see that too.

It feels like every Hollywood movie that's based on almost any existing property is turned into something different for no reason. See: I, Robot, The Time Machine, Resident Evil, Super Mario Bros., House of the Dead, etc. If it's not a multi-billion dollar property that's known by millions around the world like Harry Potter or Spider-Man, it's pretty much screwed. At best, it will be substantially removed from its source material, like Resident Evil. At worst, it will be like I, Robot or The Time, where only the name is retained from the original work.

Shin_ATproof
1156th Post

"Re(6):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sat 12 Mar 23:59post reply

The fact behind Hollywood is that 90% of what is made has to be mediocre or flat out suck.
Although if DMC and OM are Hollywood movies:

Devil May Cry movie=Have a guy look like Dante, have him swing a sword and shoot with some guns while killing monsters.
Mission Accomplished!

Onimusha movie=Pull off a Resident Evil Movie by making sidestory, have the main character use weapons like the games and have them fight Nobunaga/Fortinbras/Guildenstern.
Mission Accomplished!

How could they go wrong? Gamers that have played any of those titles would know it should be easy as heck to write a script for these movies.

Devil May Cry doesn't exactly have a story they could screw up, in fact, its braindead and Onimusha could be a prequel, sidestory or even a sequel.

A DMC or OM movie is like the Dead or Alive movie. You get pretty girls with big breasts, dress them up like the characters in the games and have them fight. WOW JUST LIKE THE GAME!

Its not like Uwe Boll(sp?) is directing these movies(how he was able to screw up HotD and AitD is beyond me) and video game movies have been pretty good so far, there is hope.

lunatic
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Sun 13 Mar 00:26post reply

whoa who's playing the lead role for omni? If they stick w/ the Taiwan guy (Kam Shing Mo) that'd pretty slick

You've been very bad~ Now off to the gas chamber!

tenguman
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 03:24post reply

Yeah, they could AT LEAST call Kaneshiro Takeshi for the Onimusha movie...if he's not too busy starring crappy Dorama.

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Dr Baghead
3396th Post

"Re(3):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 06:16post reply

quote:

Assuming these are being made by American companies it's VERY easy to screw up Onimusha and DMC movies, here are some things that could mess them, based on what's happened with other movies:

-The concept of 'soul stealing'/someone turning into a Devil might be considered offensive to some so an overly cauious studio might make 'the Onimusha' just a regular Samurai and Dante just a super human with no 'devil triggers' for either (which although not a major change would make the final battle less cool)

-Characters with a mysterious past who were created artifically are HOT HOT HOT right now. Except Dante and Virgil to not be brothers but identical clones made by combining Human DNA with Sparda's in an attempt to create the ultimate breed of super soliders.

-Also 'Demons' in general don't play well to some audiences, so I wouldn't be suprised if Dante was fighting Lovecraftian 'Old Gods' and Onimusha was just a period piece merged with a zombie flick (which would be awesome! but not Onimusha)

-Americans can't related to non-American charcters, I mean THANK GOD they put Tom Sawyer in LXG or I wouldn't have understood what the limey bastards were rambling on about!! so in Onimusha except at best a American soldier (probably loosely based on Jean Reno's character) to follow Samanosuke around and at worse some Tom Cruise like character who learns to love the Japanese people he's stuck with, but only after they change/ignore their own culture enough to fit his (because yeah, Samurai's wives ALWAYS seductively dress total strangers in their dead husbands armor, especially if that stranger was the one who murdered said husband, there's nothing weird about that at all!)

-Unless movies have someone willing to fight to the death for them except a change in title. (ie- the world "Hell" doesn't play well in movie titles... Del Torro fought hard to keep 'Hellboy' as 'Hellboy' even if some theatres called it 'Helloboy' while DC let Hellblazier be retitled Constintine) so a movie called DEVIL May Cry could run into problems if it's not retitle 'DANTE' or something

-To a lesser extent, if the suits find 'Onimusha' "too Japanese" it could be changed to "Samurai Dead" or something stupid

-The 'ideal' actors probably wouldn't get the parts... obviously studios want someone who's got a lot of star power at time, so Vin Diselle or Ashton Ketchur are more likely to play Dante then Bruce Campbell (who I don't think would work as him anyway, just making an example) and Jet Lee or Ken Watanabe are more likely to be the lead in Onimusha then any of the actors used as the basis for the characters look by Capcom.

-And of course... Hack Directors! Sure Sam Raimi is perfect to direct a movie about a smart mouthed monster hunters... but he cost money! Uwe Bowll will be just as good, since after all DMC 1 was set on an island right? and Dante has a motorcycle, he could use that in a car chase scene!... and of course while directing Onimusha Paul W.S. Anderson will pull ideas from Kurosawa's films, which don't fit into the movie at all (much like basing AvP on the concept of 'the first ones were scary because you couldn't see them!)

yeah it's not funny

Sano
1587th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 06:23:post reply

quote:
Yeah, they could AT LEAST call Kaneshiro Takeshi for the Onimusha movie...if he's not too busy starring crappy Dorama.

He's just in it as a cameo. It's a shame since Takeshi speaks English.

I'd love to see John Woo direct Devil May Cry and drop Metroid, a video game you can't make a movie out of since it features one person running around a space station by herself with Aliens that can't speak english.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 15 Mar 07:23]

Sano
1585th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 06:37post reply

Had to look up an old site that discussed the Onimusha Film. Of what I know of the Onimusha Movie, Samanosuke will not be the main character of the film. Takeshi will be in it as Samanosuke in a cameo. Donnie Yen will be the main character.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

tenguman
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 07:26post reply

quote:
Had to look up an old site that discussed the Onimusha Film. Of what I know of the Onimusha Movie, Samanosuke will not be the main character of the film. Takeshi will be in it as Samanosuke in a cameo. Donnie Yen will be the main character.

Is it really that difficult to follow the obvious way to do a decent game-based movie?

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

dorikyasu
728th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 11:50post reply

quote:
-The 'ideal' actors probably wouldn't get the parts... obviously studios want someone who's got a lot of star power at time, so Vin Diselle or Ashton Ketchur are more likely to play Dante then Bruce Campbell (who I don't think would work as him anyway, just making an example) and Jet Lee or Ken Watanabe are more likely to be the lead in Onimusha then any of the actors used as the basis for the characters look by Capcom.

Funny you mentioned Ashton Kutcher as Dante, I was thinking that Seann William Scott (the other guy from "Dude, where's my car") would make better Dante than him. lol

"Let me tell you what entertainment is: Violence. Sex. Friendship. Death. Surprise. Betrayal. Dancing."
- Tomonobu Itagaki

DarkZero
1158th Post

"Re(5):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Tue 15 Mar 12:51post reply

quote:

Funny you mentioned Ashton Kutcher as Dante, I was thinking that Seann William Scott (the other guy from "Dude, where's my car") would make better Dante than him. lol

Hmmm... y'know, strangely, the characters Sean William Scott plays really aren't that different from DMC3 Dante. That could actually be pretty decent casting.

Ishmael
1892th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Wed 16 Mar 02:49post reply

quote:
Assuming these are being made by American companies it's VERY easy to screw up Onimusha and DMC movies...

Just curious, but have there been any good live action video game movies made in countries other than the US?

exodus
2423th Post

"Re(1):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Wed 16 Mar 03:08post reply

I just want to mention that none of this is my fault.

Zepy
1032th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"exodus guilty" , posted Wed 16 Mar 14:49post reply

quote:
I just want to mention that none of this is my fault.

It's your fault because your mailbox is always full.

exodus
2427th Post

"exodus sorry" , posted Thu 17 Mar 08:00post reply

quote:

I emptied it!! and I mailed you with a new address you should mail me at, because I rarely check ic mail now...it's sooooooo full of stupid spam stuff. if you didn't get that, I'll try again.

Bata kun
2555th Post

"Re(1):exodus sorry" , posted Thu 17 Mar 13:12post reply

quote:

I emptied it!! and I mailed you with a new address you should mail me at, because I rarely check ic mail now...it's sooooooo full of stupid spam stuff. if you didn't get that, I'll try again.

While you're at it, can you e-mail your new address to me also?

Burning Ranger
1113th Post

"Re(6):Onimusha movie in 2006, DMC in 2007" , posted Thu 17 Mar 13:39post reply

quote:

Hmmm... y'know, strangely, the characters Sean William Scott plays really aren't that different from DMC3 Dante. That could actually be pretty decent casting.

How about Ryan Reynolds? He was cool in Blade 3, and he might make a good Dante IMHO.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Zepy
1033th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"exodus guilty neos" , posted Thu 17 Mar 18:20post reply

quote:

No mail has been received!
This is just all a ploy to get rid of me so you can sleep with Iggy all day while frolicking in the bountiful bosoms of Adon and Samson isn't it.

Iggy
6080th Post

"Re(1):exodus guilty neos" , posted Thu 17 Mar 19:31post reply

quote:
This is just all a ploy to get rid of me so you can sleep with Iggy all day while frolicking in the bountiful bosoms of Adon and Samson isn't it.

Oh, while we're at it, exodus, it's not that I'm tired of your sexual performances or anything, but have you thought about my proposition to switch bed next time you visit?
It's very important to me and everything. Plus I have to command my condoms online if you say yes, because my local shop always frown when I buy over a hundred, so I'd better hurry.

So really what's the difference between a metrosexual and a homosexual?
Metrosexuals are better dressed. Homosexuals are so last season.
What role will the homosexual play in the future?
Gooseberry.

exodus
2429th Post

"Re(2):exodus guilty neos" , posted Fri 18 Mar 02:19post reply

quote:
but have you thought about my proposition to switch bed next time you visit?

yeah, as I told you, I'm switching to tanguy's bed!! HAHA

I've had to push the trip back a bit...I'm not totally sure it'll happen now because I had to lend someone a large sum of money that I'm not expecting to get back.

Zepy - maily mail!

Iggy
6085th Post

"Re(3):exodus guilty neos" , posted Fri 18 Mar 06:06post reply

quote:
yeah, as I told you, I'm switching to tanguy's bed!! HAHA

No, I was talking about the next step : switching again between me and you.
I would go into Moetan's bed, while you would be alone in my appartment with all my new found big breasted stripper neibourghs.

quote:
I've had to push the trip back a bit...I'm not totally sure it'll happen now because I had to lend someone a large sum of money that I'm not expecting to get back.

I don't care.
You're not allowed not to come.

So really what's the difference between a metrosexual and a homosexual?
Metrosexuals are better dressed. Homosexuals are so last season.
What role will the homosexual play in the future?
Gooseberry.

exodus
2433th Post

"Re(4):exodus guilty neos" , posted Fri 18 Mar 09:20post reply

quote:

I would go into Moetan's bed, while you would be alone in my appartment with all my new found big breasted stripper neibourghs.

.........your ideas intrigue me.

quote:

I don't care.
You're not allowed not to come.

BANNED IN FRANCE!
shit, I'm too hot for TV!