A simple DMC3 question... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3840 Views )

Iron D
2622th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 06:57post reply

...bugs, insects and arachnids. Are there any in the game, and if so how are they and how often do they appear?

I'm reminded of DMC1 and how I can never play through that game again because of the giant roaches and flies in that. The magma spider (whose name I forget, just like a lot of other things) was fine, but when you fight those things I just can't handle it.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Replies:

Pollyanna
916th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 07:22post reply

There are giant spiders...that also have small, baby spiders (as usual). There is also a giant flying centipede type boss, but it's not really...a lot like a bug. The giant spiders are probably the least frequent enemy you run into, but are still in the game quite a few times.

Iron D
2624th Post

"Re(2):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 09:41post reply

quote:
There are giant spiders...that also have small, baby spiders (as usual). There is also a giant flying centipede type boss, but it's not really...a lot like a bug. The giant spiders are probably the least frequent enemy you run into, but are still in the game quite a few times.

They're not like the Magma Spider from DMC1? What kind of noises do they make? Webs of any kind?

Thanks for your help, Pollyanna. I really do appreciate it.

Zelkin. Pimped.

DarkZero
1145th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 10:12post reply

quote:

They're not like the Magma Spider from DMC1? What kind of noises do they make? Webs of any kind?

They only appear in two rooms, which you pass through only a total of maybe two or three times. Unfortunately, they're mandatory battles. They're not as realistic as the ridiculous swarms of buzzing giganto-flies in DMC1, but they're still not as removed from reality as the Magma Spider.

There are white spiders the size of Dante that make lots of squishy/chirpy noises and try to ram you or web you (getting webbed is very rare, though). Those are the ones that split in half and turn into a swarm of little spiders like the Baby Phantoms in DMC1. The other spider is a big green mantis/spider thing, which really does nothing but ram you and slash you. Oddly, it almost seems weaker than the white ones. And I don't know if this matters to you, but I should mention that they explode in a big bloody mess like the Nobodies in DMC1.

Honestly, if you handed the controller to someone else for a few minutes whenever you encounter them, you could probably just ignore them. Just buy a bunch of Yellow Orbs for the bosses on those levels, thankfully I don't remember them being really hard bosses.

And speaking of Devil May Cry...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Just got to the beginning of Mission 17 and I'm left wondering... why are the "name" bosses like Vergil (in Mission 7) and Lady the easiest bosses in the game, while nameless, plotless Oh-gee-that-looks-cool bosses are so damned hard? I killed Lady quicker than any other boss in the game and I don't think that's really what Capcom intended. Just a bizarre observation I had.

End of Spoiler

Pollyanna
918th Post

"Re(4):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 10:26post reply

Ah, yeah,...that's a very thorough explanation.

As for the spoiler...uhm...

The last boss was actually the easiest for me, by far. It took me about 3 minutes, which got me an S on time (the first one for me).
Lady was VERY easy, but she got locked in some annoying pattern that took me a while to get around. I wasn't hitting her and she wasn't hitting me. She can't really do anything effective.

My problems on Vergil (as with many of the bosses) came from my unreasonable desire to hit them with the royal guard counter. Just...for fun.

End of Spoiler

Iron D
2626th Post

"Re(4):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 10:44post reply

quote:

They only appear in two rooms, which you pass through only a total of maybe two or three times. Unfortunately, they're mandatory battles. They're not as realistic as the ridiculous swarms of buzzing giganto-flies in DMC1, but they're still not as removed from reality as the Magma Spider.

There are white spiders the size of Dante that make lots of squishy/chirpy noises and try to ram you or web you (getting webbed is very rare, though). Those are the ones that split in half and turn into a swarm of little spiders like the Baby Phantoms in DMC1. The other spider is a big green mantis/spider thing, which really does nothing but ram you and slash you. Oddly, it almost seems weaker than the white ones. And I don't know if this matters to you, but I should mention that they explode in a big bloody mess like the Nobodies in DMC1.

Honestly, if you handed the controller to someone else for a few minutes whenever you encounter them, you could probably just ignore them. Just buy a bunch of Yellow Orbs for the bosses on those levels, thankfully I don't remember them being really hard bosses.

I think that's what I'll have to do, because the game sounds great but...those white spiders sound bad.

Thank you both.

Zelkin. Pimped.

DarkZero
1146th Post

"Re(5):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 12:07post reply

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the spoilers continue...

>> "My problems on Vergil (as with many of the bosses) came from my unreasonable desire to hit them with the royal guard counter. Just...for fun."

Yeah, that's one of the really big problems with the human-size bosses. Sometimes you're able to pull off fantastically ballsy moves, which make you think, "Hmmm... what if I did... THIS?!" and then get your ass kicked. You start thinking that maybe there IS a way to really kick Vergil's ass when he's DTed and you aren't, which is a nice way to lose a Yellow Orb.

It seemed like every ballsy move I made against Lady worked though, which was kind of disappointing. She was probably the only boss where you could go 100% aggressive and just wail on her the entire time. You could really wail on Vergil 1 and 2, but not like you could with Lady.

End of Spoiler

sabo10
1141th Post

"Re(6):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Fri 11 Mar 12:13:post reply

This guy always cracks me up.

I love these threads. What other site has regular reviews of the latest games from an entomophobic standpoint?

I imagine you must not have enjoyed LOTR Return of the King at all.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Fri 11 Mar 12:16]

Mosquiton
1538th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sat 12 Mar 02:36post reply

quote:

I love these threads. What other site has regular reviews of the latest games from an entomophobic standpoint?

I keep reccomending Crimson Sea 2 to all the bugophobes on this board. I really think that they could cure themselves completely in one playthrough...

It's not half-bad as a game either.

/ / /

deisied
275th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sat 12 Mar 05:04post reply

Actually,

You can take his DT pretty easily with Beowulf. Killer Bee and taking advantage of his delays at the end of a lot of his attacks. Especially his ground combo where he sheaths his sword for days, allowing for like 4 Beowulf hits, guaranteeing knocking him out of it. But, on Hard I did take less risks, not too far into DMD yet.

End of Spoiler

DarkZero
1148th Post

"Re(7):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sat 12 Mar 15:01post reply

Does Vergil 2's DT work differently than Vergil 3's DT? It seemed like I could beat the crap out of Vergil 2's DT form and he would never turn back to normal, as if it was set to turn off only on some kind of hidden timer. Vergil 3's DT, on the other hand, lasted forever, but I could very easily knock him out of it with Rebellion. Maybe it's just me, though.

Anyway, I just beat the game last night and I'm probably going to start Hard Mode later with DMC1 Dante and either Trickster or Royal Guard Style (I used Swordmaster almost exclusively the first time through).

End of Spoiler

Pollyanna
921th Post

"Re(8):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sat 12 Mar 17:59post reply

Ohoh! What did winning the game unlock?

Royal Guard style is pretty useless, I just thought it was cool.

Iggy
6033th Post

"Re(9):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sat 12 Mar 18:12:post reply

quote:

Is it? Just Block and Just Release are too powerful, or so have I been told.
(the only point of this post being that I'm currently reading DMC3 Maniacs after reading a 2ch thread and they're talking precisely of this)

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sat 12 Mar 18:15]

DarkZero
1153th Post

"Re(9):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sat 12 Mar 18:16:post reply

quote:
Ohoh! What did winning the game unlock?

Hard Mode, Art Gallery, Coatless Dante, DMC1 Dante, and Vergil's "I Never Wanted To Be Considered Normal" ending illustration. Basically, all of the stuff that Normal Mode unlocks in the Japanese version, I believe. As one poster at GameFAQs put it (they were talking about something else, but this applies), it's not so much that Normal Mode was "taken out" of the North American version, as that all of the modes were tweaked. So basically:

Easy Mode (NA) = Normal Mode (JP)
Normal Mode (NA) = Hard Mode (JP)
Hard Mode (NA) = Dante Must Die (JP)
Dante Must Die (NA) = hardest possible mode
Heaven Or Hell (ANY) = just weird

All of the modes are still there in the North American version, so all of the unlockables are the same. The difference is that all of the modes in the North American version are just harder than the Japanese ones. And that really, really sucks, because I was pretty sure that if the NA Normal Mode was the JP Hard Mode, then you would get the JP Hard Mode's unlockables (SPARDA!!!) when you beat the game the first time. No such luck.

Also, I killed 99 out of 100 demons the first time I beat the game, and I had really pounded on that Hell Vanguard when the credits ended. So I missed the extended cutscene by like two seconds and must now beat Vergil 3 again to get another shot.

End of Spoiler

EDIT: I'm not going to post this in a spoiler tag, because this is something people should know before they actually beat the game. It is only very slightly spoilerish, you probably can't figure it out from what I describe:

In DMC3, once you unlock all of these fancy costumes after you beat the game, they don't appear in the cutscenes? WTF? The coolest thing about "Legendary Dark Knight Mode" in DMC1 was playing through the game again as "Dante, 18th Century Aristocrat". Why would I possibly care about whether the little Dante running around the screen while I'm fighting has slightly more or slightly less clothing? Half the time I can't tell the difference between the original Dante and my new costume, even though I know this costume looks WAY different (cooler!) in cutscenes than the usual Dante. Gyp! Gyp, I say!

[this message was edited by DarkZero on Sat 12 Mar 22:10]

Mosquiton
1540th Post

"Re(10):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Sun 13 Mar 04:45post reply

I really wish they didn't fuck with the difficulty like that. Who made this decision, anyway? Sounds pretty misguided.

I actually haven't played this game yet, as I was going to review it but had the thing fall through. I'd actually turned down an offer to review it in print, because the other opportunity would let me write a longer review. Ugh.

God of War is pretty decent so far though. I'll play DMC3 afterwards, I expect it to be a better game.

I need some advice though. I may only be able to play through DMC3 once, as I don't find myself with a lot of spare time.

Should I play on Easy (which is actually normal), or is playing on Normal (which is actually Hard) a more complete/fuller/more satisfying experience?

I'm going to find out who screwed up these difficulties... and I will expose them to great justice.

/ / /

deisied
283th Post

Copper Customer

"A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 05:05:post reply

Okay, two things I'm used to repeating 500 times at Gfaqs, so here we go. I'll start with the easy one.

I don't understand why anyone who has played the game at all would think there should be outfits in cutscenes, let alone expect it. Take a look at the first 2 missions, and then every other mission after that. Something situational regarding his jacket seems to happen almost every time. The first mission he just came out of a shower and he only has pants on. The second mission intro is him putting on his jacket to get ready to fight. Later a sleeve gets ripped off, later again bullet holes appear. Besides that he usually interacts with it somehow in the coreopgraphy. Now. What if I decided I want to play shirtless Dante. Do you want him to hold up air? I'd rather them be consistent with the scenes then have me ripped out of them more than I already would be from the wackiness, by having some akward crap like that.

I agree with you that rocking the monocle in cutscenes in DMC1 was excellent, but it just doesn't work here. If you think about it at all, it makes plenty of sense.

Now for Royal Guard. Definitely the highest potential style in the game, balanced by the fact that it has the highest skill-input level. I'll never understand why they don't explain this style clearly in-game, but that's what I'm here for I guess. Royal Guard is not about blocking. I don't block at all. It's about parrying. If you tap circle at the moment of impact you completely parry the attack, take no damage, send the enemy reeling so it's open for attack, and store far more charge than if you simply stood there and blocked. Parrying works against any move in the game. Mind you, not all bosses will be "sent reeling" but you usually still have the best opportunity for attack, or using the Release skill, right after doing so.

The style orbs next to your lifebar that generally designate style level have a second meaning in Royal Guard, they are your charge gauge. Every time you go up a level in Royal Guard you gain another orb to fill with energy. When an orb is flashing, it's partly filled, when it's lit brightly, it's full. A level 3 charge, when used correctly in an opening, is fucking devastating, no matter what difficulty. There are a couple ways to use release. One is just out in the open, whenever you want. It isn't advised to to it this way, but there is some tactical merit to it. Besides, if you miss, it doesn't use up your charge, you could almost use it as an air dash if you wanted to. It's most reccomended (especially assuming you have charge), to do it right after deflecting the enemy is almost guaranteed to be 100% open and you're probably in your safest position you can be. There are a few situations where you want to do it clean instead like against...

Beowulf. It seems the only way to get full charge potential damage on him is to use it on his eye, which can be tricky. But I can get it 100% of the time if I immediately cancel the end of rising dragon or high time into release. Very effective.

End of Spoiler

The final way is more issen-like than the rest. If you do release with parry timing (the moment of impact), you can perform a relatively powerful instant-charged release. That is to say, even if you haven't built up any charge, it will act like you have about 50% worth at any given time. This is very useful against normal enemies, if you're on your toes you can blow through anything.

It's final use is the fact that the block animation cancels pretty much anything instantly, so, whatever clever ways you can figure out to use that are probably going to help. Earlier on, I liked using it to cancel shotgun shots to make it about DMC1 speed, which was pretty damn useful. So, if you give it some time, and/or are good at SF3 or Onimusha, you're basically invincible, and can unleash the most single powerful attack in the game whenever you want. Try to not think of this as a turtling style, because it isn't even clsoe to that. In fact, it's near opposite. Instead of having to worry about evading or backing down, you can fight aggressively like normal, and then simply instantly parry when someone attempts to interrupt you, and continue with what you were doing, now that much more powerful due to the fact that you just charged some energy. I really reccomend anyone to give it a try.

[this message was edited by deisied on Sun 13 Mar 05:22]

deisied
283th Post

Copper Customer

"A simple DMC3 answer 2" , posted Sun 13 Mar 05:06:post reply

Oh, and US Normal really isn't that bad, man. The damage feels a little harsh early on, but other than that, it's completely reasonable, and by the time you beat it, and realize you did, you'll probably be glad you didn't hold yourself back with anything less.

[this message was edited by deisied on Sun 13 Mar 05:10]

DarkZero
1154th Post

"Re(1):A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 05:33post reply

quote:
Okay, two things I'm used to repeating 500 times at Gfaqs, so here we go. I'll start with the easy one.

I don't understand why anyone who has played the game at all would think there should be outfits in cutscenes, let alone expect it. Take a look at the first 2 missions, and then every other mission after that. Something situational regarding his jacket seems to happen almost every time. The first mission he just came out of a shower and he only has pants on. The second mission intro is him putting on his jacket to get ready to fight. Later a sleeve gets ripped off, later again bullet holes appear. Besides that he usually interacts with it somehow in the coreopgraphy. Now. What if I decided I want to play shirtless Dante. Do you want him to hold up air? I'd rather them be consistent with the scenes then have me ripped out of them more than I already would be from the wackiness, by having some akward crap like that.

I agree with you that rocking the monocle in cutscenes in DMC1 was excellent, but it just doesn't work here. If you think about it at all, it makes plenty of sense.

The problem is that there were similar issues in DMC1, but they seemed to be rationalized as, "They've already played through the game. It doesn't matter if 10% of the cutscenes look stupid and misplaced if the other 90% get to have Sparda in them."

Remember when Nelo Angelo throws Dante up against a wall in their first encounter and Dante's amulet falls out of his collar, scaring the crap out of Nelo Angelo? In Legendary Dark Knight mode, Sparda has no such collar. He's covered all the way up to the neck, so the amulet falls through his clothes. It looks clippy, amateurish, and stupid, but watching Sparda himself turn into DT Sparda when you kill Phantom is cool enough to be worth it.

And while a lot of the game would look dumb with Coatless Dante because he has no coat, DMC1 Dante has no such problem. He would've fit into the game almost perfectly. I think the real problem with using the other costumes in the cutscenes wasn't so much that they wouldn't fit into the cutscenes, but rather that a few of the scenes, like the end of Mission 7, seem to use discrete FMV instead of the usual in-game cutscenes. So whenever it switched to FMV, we'd be back to DMC3 Dante, and people would wonder why.

deisied
284th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 05:42:post reply

DMC1 actually had some FMV too. But hm, yeah interesting, I think I skipped that scene a lot of times on successive playthroughs. Still, DMC3 is far more complexly coreographed and designed, and from what I hear, besides the whole akward interaction thing, it'd actually be a lot more work to make it occur this time. It's far less like in-game cutscenes this time, even though they aren't FMV. But I mean really, they even forced him to have Rebellion in every cutscene in the first place, despite what you used (Gah, two Force Edges?). This just seems way less 10%, and more, really falling apart every few seconds. Given the meticulousness of the level of these scenes, it just may not be worth it.

Oh, and also, Dante is so damn loud in this game, LDK doesn't fit nearly as easily for me. I still haven't picked off of him since I got him, but it isn't as belivable in pretty much any way it could be. All of the little fun details are lost anyway, like his guns being Luce and Ombra in the menu, or anything like that. I'll probably keep being him, but it doens't have the DMC1 effect at all to me.

[this message was edited by deisied on Sun 13 Mar 05:44]

Pollyanna
923th Post

"Re(3):A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 08:04post reply

Well, I can't possibly explain royal guard better than Deisied (because he's right), but it's still impractical. It's easy to wreak havoc on normal enemies (and especially cool if you parry like...5 at once and kill them all in one shot), but on bosses...it's going to cause you more trouble than it's going to help unless you're willing to suffer through a lot of trial and error to get it down.

deisied
285th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 08:10post reply

I personally find it more useful against bosses than normal enemies, because I'm not great at instant-release yet, and I'd prefer to take no damage from them than anything else. Besides, bosses are less camera trouble (outside of Agni and Rudra), more preditcable, and easier to focus on than a pile of 4 different types of enemies. And a level 3 charge is more tactically useful anyway. You can juggle any old normal enemy to keep them busy, but taking away a 1/4 of a bosses lifebar? That's a pretty uniquely fuzzy feeling.

Still, I know what you mean.

Pollyanna
924th Post

"Re(5):A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 08:39post reply

Well, OK...to anyone who is about to play DMC3, if you're lame like me, then don't use royal guard. If you're at least as awesome as Deisied, then you might want to consider it.

deisied
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):A simple DMC3 answer" , posted Sun 13 Mar 08:47post reply

Heheh, maybe I judge things weird because I assume I suck pretty hard way before anything else. But, yeah, fair enough. Besides, like someone else said, you might as well play Sword Master and actaully get comfortable with remembering to roll and get the normal basics down strong before letting trickster make you lazy, or try too hard with Royal Guard.

Iron D
2631th Post

"A little explanation..." , posted Sun 13 Mar 12:27post reply

quote:

Heh.

Actually, as I've said before, the spider in RotK wasn't bad at all. You see, what I fear about insects is the...insectness of them, if that makes any sense to you. The spider in RotK acted like a big, black lion, rather than a big spider.

That's why Phantom of DMC1 doesn't scare me. He's a big, talking spider. Meanwhile, you have the spiders of Resident Evil, which are big, and...well...spiderey. With webs, and that pudda, pudda, noise they make while walking...Also, the bugs of DMC...WAY too scary. They acted just like big bugs trying to kill you.

And now I'm going to stop, because I'm starting to freak myself out.

And I don't have the guts to play Crimson Tears 2. I'm a wuss, so nothin' doin'.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Sano
1578th Post

"Re(1):A little explanation..." , posted Sun 13 Mar 14:16post reply

I'm playing DMC3 on Normal, it's a good challenge. It's not that hard but hard enough.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

DarkZero
1156th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Mon 14 Mar 00:18post reply

quote:

I need some advice though. I may only be able to play through DMC3 once, as I don't find myself with a lot of spare time.

Should I play on Easy (which is actually normal), or is playing on Normal (which is actually Hard) a more complete/fuller/more satisfying experience?

I'm going to find out who screwed up these difficulties... and I will expose them to great justice.

Play it on Normal (JP Hard) Mode. Around Missions 4-7 or so, the difficulty is kind of a pain in the ass. For the other 17 missions, it's just a bit harder than the average game, just like DMC1 was.

deisied
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):A simple DMC3 question..." , posted Mon 14 Mar 15:31post reply

Oh yeah, random extra piece of information no ones gonna use. Instant Releasing passes through any guard or enemy or anything, so you can take out multiple enemies with it if done efficiently. I believe you can mimic charge-issen with it and travel from enemy to enemy as well.