Darkstalker Collections for the PS2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3280 Views )

Riskbreaker
268th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 04:24post reply

I'm not sure if it's legit but according to the-magicbox.com, " Capcom announced they will release Vampire DarkStalkers Collection for PlayStation 2 in Japan on May 19. A compilation of the 5 arcade classics, including: Vampire: The Night Warriors, Vampire Hunter: DarkStalkers Revenge, Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire, Vampire Hunter 2: DarkStalkers Revenge and Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire. Each game will Arcade, Versus and Training and Gallery Modes."

Replies:

Phoenix
739th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 04:59post reply

Long time no see. Welcome back Risk! Any word on whether it has online play?

OmegaDog
1458th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 05:02:post reply

Good god -- if this is legit, this would be the first Darkstalkers game/compilation in a long time that has more than just the Vampire Savior stages.

(Seriously, was anyone else getting tired of their overuse?)

"IT'S PAYBACK TIME..." "LOCKED AND LOADED!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Fri 4 Mar 05:04]

YeldellGW
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 05:27post reply

quote:
Good god -- if this is legit, this would be the first Darkstalkers game/compilation in a long time that has more than just the Vampire Savior stages.

(Seriously, was anyone else getting tired of their overuse?)

I was more tired of the overuse of SF II characters in crossovers and remixes of their themes, but that's just me...

This better be the real thing cause I'm tired of seeing so much love for SF.

Iggy
5942th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 05:40post reply

If this is true, this >>>>>>>>>>>> Vampire Collection.

Even if they are assholes and don't include Phobos/Pyron/Donovan in Savior 1 or whoever is left out Savior2. Vanilla Savior1 >>>> everything.

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?
Amaterasu : Oh ils n'oseront pas. Je suis dans mon droit.
Moi : Vous savez je préfère avoir tord et rester en vie.
Amaterasu : Ah ? Pas moi.

Riskbreaker
269th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 06:01post reply

quote:
Long time no see. Welcome back Risk! Any word on whether it has online play?

Wassup Phoenix, I'll try to catch you up on aims this weekend or something. Did you purchase Tekken 5 yet?

Phoenix
741th Post

"Re(3):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 06:11:post reply

Well, my computer is dead. So I can only get online from work. (around 10-6 weekdays) I plan on getting TK5 later.

edit: I wonder why Namco doesn't put TK5 on Xbox live like DOAU and MK6? I mean TK5 isn't as complex as VF4FT...

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Fri 4 Mar 06:15]

Undead Fred
2168th Post

"Re(1):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 08:29post reply

quote:
I'm not sure if it's legit but according to the-magicbox.com, " Capcom announced they will release Vampire DarkStalkers Collection for PlayStation 2 in Japan on May 19. A compilation of the 5 arcade classics, including: Vampire: The Night Warriors, Vampire Hunter: DarkStalkers Revenge, Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire, Vampire Hunter 2: DarkStalkers Revenge and Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire. Each game will Arcade, Versus and Training and Gallery Modes."

If it is true.......... have you heard anything about it coming out in the US?? Or is Sony USA's bullshit horse's ass "no 2D" policy going to rear its ugly head again?

HAYATO
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 08:58post reply

WOW !!! This time no matter what happens, Donovan will be included in the latest Capcom fighting Game for PS2 !!

Mosquiton
1532th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 09:09post reply

quote:
If it is true.......... have you heard anything about it coming out in the US?? Or is Sony USA's bullshit horse's ass "no 2D" policy going to rear its ugly head again?

Remember that collections are the magical key.

/ / /

Undead Fred
2169th Post

"Re(3):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 09:35post reply

quote:

Ahhh, good point... oh yeah, I didn't notice Darkstalkers 3 in that list, but is it just under a different name? Or is it not included?

YeldellGW
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 10:37post reply

quote:
Ahhh, good point... oh yeah, I didn't notice Darkstalkers 3 in that list, but is it just under a different name? Or is it not included?

Darkstalkers 3 = Vampire Savior

Undead Fred
2171th Post

"Re(5):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 11:13post reply

quote:

Darkstalkers 3 = Vampire Savior

D'oh! Yeah, I assumed I had just missed it in there. It's been years since I've been able to play it.

Burning Ranger
1084th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 15:02post reply

quote:

The game will be worthless without online play, and for good online play, it needs an Xbox release. Sad as it may seem.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Undead Fred
2174th Post

"Re(2):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Fri 4 Mar 16:53post reply

quote:
The game will be worthless without online play, and for good online play, it needs an Xbox release. Sad as it may seem.

Bleh. I really don't care about playing online. It's pretty hard to find games where you don't have to play a lot of cheaters, stat whores, or screaming trolls. I'm just happy to get the chance to have a nice arcade-perfect Darkstalkers on my console for once.

Iggy
5953th Post

"No bonus for you" , posted Sat 5 Mar 02:05post reply

http://www.estoys.co.jp/gms/jan/5000000002111.html
The games will be perfect ports of all 5 versions of Vampire.
Perfect ports without all those messy arrange versions and bonus the previous adaptations where loaded with. Yeah.Oh well, if it's really arcade perfect this time, I won't complain. I just hope they will remember to stick at least a versus mode in there.

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?

OYashiroForever
821th Post

"Re(2):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 06:38post reply

quote:

Not quite sure I understand why anything and everything suddenly has to be playable online. Not picking on you in particular, Ranger, just something I've noticed on MBs and from the general populace.

I equate playing a fighting game online to playing a fighting game in an arcade where one of the buttons is broken on each side: you're not playing to see who's better at the game, you're seeing who's better at overcoming the handicap.

I don't care what anyone says, even when there's "no" lag, there's still a button input delay. For a lot of games, that's okay, but for the twitch, split-second timing of fighting games, current ping levels simply aren't acceptable. If the people out there are fine with that, then go ahead and knock yourselves out... I'll stick to playing with friends and in arcades, personally.

Ranting aside, hooray for a genuine DS collection and not another half-assed Chronicles port! Capcom could spend the rest of their time just churning out arcade perfect ports of their old games and I'd be satisfied... particularly if CFJ is an accurate indication of what they're capable of these days.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Pollyanna
900th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 07:42post reply

Arcade perfect is OK, but why NOT include the options for extras and arrange? Don't tell me they're going to release Vampire Chronicles on PS2 in ADDITION to this.

crazymike
1079th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 07:54post reply

While I don't have Xbox live (modded Xbox here) I can see why people would want online play. Some of us live in small cities where the competition for fighters is little to none. Granted you won't expect much talent on Live, but it is still more fun than whacking the computer all day.

Oh, and no arrange mode sucks. I hope oneday to have a Vampire game with ALL characters and the ability to play in Vampire Hunter backgrounds or whatever mix I want.

EddyT
421th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 08:14:post reply

quote:

Not quite sure I understand why anything and everything suddenly has to be playable online. Not picking on you in particular, Ranger, just something I've noticed on MBs and from the general populace.

I equate playing a fighting game online to playing a fighting game in an arcade where one of the buttons is broken on each side: you're not playing to see who's better at the game, you're seeing who's better at overcoming the handicap.

I don't care what anyone says, even when there's "no" lag, there's still a button input delay. For a lot of games, that's okay, but for the twitch, split-second timing of fighting games, current ping levels simply aren't acceptable. If the people out there are fine with that, then go ahead and knock yourselves out... I'll stick to playing with friends and in arcades, personally.

If it wasn't for online play, I would have never bought or kept my CvS2 or SF:AC games. Playing your local friends once in a while is swell, but the game does get boring and the will to play disappears when you are stuck playing the CPU. Playing other people online gives it new life and makes it interesting to say the least.

Sure, online play isn't perfect, but you will have to wait a long time until it will be. At least the option to play online is there, and that's great to have out of the box. Of course, the netcode has to be done decently so it's enjoyable. I remember having GGX#R, and I could not stand playing it online due to unplayable lag a majority of the time.

I agree with Ranger... if they leave online play out, it can be a big mistake for them. Not many people will buy or keep their copies... replay value is a powerful thing. Especially with Darkstalkers... where you're offering the same old stuff in new packaging. For some to most, that series has run its course, and it's going to be hard justifying a purchase when it was released nearly the same way on the PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast and PSP.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Sat 5 Mar 08:18]

Sano
1550th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 09:34post reply

Myself, I'm getting broadband next week and I defintily want to play online with X-Box, I think in about April I should start. The Arcades left in NYC are either very small or just suck. I don't think you need Online play to enjoy a fighting game, but you need two player competition, and sometimes it's not the easiest thing to come by.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Variable Savior
263th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 10:55post reply

quote:
The Arcades left in NYC are either very small or just suck.

Really... did something happen to that arcade on Mott Street?

On topic: As much as I loved the Vampire games I find it difficult to get too excited about this. Collections and compilations are great but I thirst for new content. Oh well, maybe if this collection sells well Capcom will consider making a new Vampire title.

Blood marks heaven's path

Red Falcon
5401th Post

"Re(6):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 10:57post reply

quote:

Don't tell me it's gone. I visit there every time I have to go to New York.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Sano
1552th Post

"Re(7):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 11:05:post reply

quote:

Don't tell me it's gone. I visit there every time I have to go to New York.

It's still there. It's the only good Arcade left. And yeah, it's really small. Some of the regulars are in desperate need of showers! I remember the good old days when we had the huge Arcade in Timesquare, we had two of them on Times Square actually. You could get a fake ID, smoke weed and stay playing 2D Fighters all night all in the same spot. Those were the good old days, before Times Square became Disney Land. Darn politicians...

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sat 5 Mar 11:10]

Red Falcon
5402th Post

"Re(8):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sat 5 Mar 11:07post reply

God be praised! Whew, that was quite a scare (especially since I have to come up on business in April)

Iggy
5961th Post

"You learn something new everyday" , posted Sat 5 Mar 19:20post reply

After reading my own link carefully, I noticed the games will be available in two versions, first version and final version.
Which means games that were slightly arranged (a little like 3rd Strike has two versions, and both are available in the PS2 port) will have both versions in the compilation.

I never heard of those versions, since each new game was already a slightly different version from each game...
I'm even more interested.

Pollyanna
904th Post

"Re(1):You learn something new everyday" , posted Sat 5 Mar 19:51post reply

I'm confused now. The "final versions" aren't the equivalent of the modified home versions? So you wouldn't be able to do special cancels like in the PS Vampire Savior? (if you chose to turn that on)

See, arcade perfect is fine, but for the sake of having all the VS/VS2 character together in one game, I think it's worth it to have an arrange.

Iggy
5966th Post

"Re(2):You learn something new everyday" , posted Sat 5 Mar 20:14post reply

quote:
See, arcade perfect is fine, but for the sake of having all the VS/VS2 character together in one game, I think it's worth it to have an arrange.

The question is : is Vampire popular enough to be worth such efforts?
The Vampire crowd was always quite small, and all the years with nothing more than a reused Morrigan sprite and awful Marvakaris didn't do anything to keep people interested in the series.

Pollyanna
907th Post

"Re(3):You learn something new everyday" , posted Sat 5 Mar 20:21post reply

quote:

The question is : is Vampire popular enough to be worth such efforts?
The Vampire crowd was always quite small, and all the years with nothing more than a reused Morrigan sprite and awful Marvakaris didn't do anything to keep people interested in the series.

I would say "it's no effort, really", but this IS Capcom we're talking about. I guess I was under the (incorrect) assumption that Vampire was still quite big because Capcom keeps merchandising it like it is.

EddyT
423th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):You learn something new everyday" , posted Sun 6 Mar 02:28:post reply

quote:

I would say "it's no effort, really", but this IS Capcom we're talking about. I guess I was under the (incorrect) assumption that Vampire was still quite big because Capcom keeps merchandising it like it is.

I agree... it's weird how the Vampire series never got the type of visual upgrade it really deserved, and it seems that Capcom has no plans to revive the series with a brand new game. But you see all these Morrigan/Lilith figures coming out every couple of months... even to this day. It confuses me to no end... at least a few of the characters are still that popular and obviously people are still interested in Vampire.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Sun 6 Mar 02:29]

crazymike
1080th Post

"Re(5):You learn something new everyday" , posted Sun 6 Mar 05:13post reply

It doesn't matter too much I would think about sales. With no new content, there is not much money put into development of the game, the only "real" losses Capcom could experience is the cost of plastic DVD's, instruction manual, and cases.

Undead Fred
2177th Post

"Re(3):Darkstalker Collections for the PS2" , posted Sun 6 Mar 07:05post reply

quote:

THANK YOU. I had never understood why games can't exist without online tacked on... especially after all I've heard about trying to play CvS2 online (little gimps quitting out of matches early if they're about to lose so BOTH players get a loss on their record).

But anyway, I'm just happy to see these games coming out with good loading times and all the frames intact (well, I'm just assuming they will... can't see why they wouldn't). I had never gotten to really play them all that much in the arcade, and I had Darkstalkers 3 on PSX, but of course, it had to be cut back a bit to work on the system. I do agree with the other posts- I wouldn't mind some more galleries or color edit modes or anything else in the way of bonus material. But as long as I get the regular games without cutting anything out, I'll be completely happy.

Burning Ranger
1090th Post

"Re(6):You learn something new everyday" , posted Mon 7 Mar 03:50post reply

quote:
It doesn't matter too much I would think about sales. With no new content, there is not much money put into development of the game, the only "real" losses Capcom could experience is the cost of plastic DVD's, instruction manual, and cases.

Did Capcom say they were going to include any extras in the form of a gallery? Hell, they should at least try to include the Darkstalkers anime (not the horrific US series).

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Undead Fred
2181th Post

"Re(7):You learn something new everyday" , posted Mon 7 Mar 04:47post reply

quote:
Did Capcom say they were going to include any extras in the form of a gallery? Hell, they should at least try to include the Darkstalkers anime (not the horrific US series).

Ah, that would be awesome! I've got them on VHS tapes from years ago, but it would be very cool if they would throw that in.

Pollyanna
911th Post

"Re(8):You learn something new everyday" , posted Mon 7 Mar 07:04post reply

I think the Vampire anime was every bit as horrific as the American cartoon. The anime betrayed the art style and theme of the game. It was gritty, detailed and serious. I think I could list 100 words to describe Vampire and none of those would come up. I don't care if it looked pretty or had an enjoyable story or fun fights (I don't agree on any of these points, but I can appreciate that some people would), it still betrayed the series.

Undead Fred
2186th Post

"Re(9):You learn something new everyday" , posted Mon 7 Mar 08:04post reply

quote:
I think the Vampire anime was every bit as horrific as the American cartoon. The anime betrayed the art style and theme of the game. It was gritty, detailed and serious. I think I could list 100 words to describe Vampire and none of those would come up. I don't care if it looked pretty or had an enjoyable story or fun fights (I don't agree on any of these points, but I can appreciate that some people would), it still betrayed the series.

Well, the fight scenes were painful to watch because they had this really anal "only use the EXACT moves the characters had in the game" and no real fluid regular punches or kicks, but the animation wasn't bad and I thought the art style fit with the character art I had seen for the game (not really the IN-GAME art, but the character sketches and stuff). I think if they had loosened up a little when they were creating it, it would have been really good.

Plus, I was happy to see Felicia in any anime at all. Heh heh.

HAYATO
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):You learn something new everyday" , posted Mon 7 Mar 08:12post reply

quote:

Although I'm a Darkstalkers fan, I found the anime OVAs far superior to the game they were based on. I think they enriched Vampire's plot, or at least, made it more comprehensible/accesible for fans outside Japan...

Lupin
2958th Post

"Re(7):You learn something new everyday" , posted Mon 7 Mar 09:46post reply

quote:

B.R., I've been watching B.S.G. as pictured in your tag, it's cool. I haven't seen the original new miniserries yet though. I wasn't going in looking for a 1:1 with the original old TV show, and so I wasn't disappointed that much. Starbuck's attitude turns on and off though~ she should have that Starbuck playboy attitude more I think, if she's supposed to be him. To me it's like the actress is playing 3 or 4 different characters, one of which is the starbuck from the original show.

Burning Ranger
1091th Post

"Going OT again..." , posted Mon 7 Mar 11:21post reply

quote:

B.R., I've been watching B.S.G. as pictured in your tag, it's cool. I haven't seen the original new miniserries yet though. I wasn't going in looking for a 1:1 with the original old TV show, and so I wasn't disappointed that much. Starbuck's attitude turns on and off though~ she should have that Starbuck playboy attitude more I think, if she's supposed to be him. To me it's like the actress is playing 3 or 4 different characters, one of which is the starbuck from the original show.

I was never a fan of the original BSG series. I had heard the new miniseries wasn't good either. But then I watched it, and its fantastic. It's a really good sci-fi show, beating out all my other favorites, including Stargate SG-1. The continuing series is also cool. I don't mind Starbuck's portrayal at all-- its good to see a diverse person.

And the Cylon chicks are H-O-T!

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Ammadeau
1296th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Going OT again..." , posted Mon 7 Mar 12:20post reply

I also thought the OAVs were lame. Nice art direction, and the fights were actually pretty good, but the plot was just one big mess that didn't go anywhere.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Red Falcon
5407th Post

"Re(1):Going OT again..." , posted Mon 7 Mar 13:59:post reply

The cylons in the new one defeat the entire PURPOSE of the cylons. When Edward James Olmos said "Yeah, the new series is.. bad." and he plays Commander Adama in it, there's something seriously amiss. But I guess if you like something, you like something.. no? ^^

Edit: Damn, that was completely OT. So...

Vampire collection = good.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Mon 7 Mar 14:04]

Lupin
2959th Post

"Re(2):Going OT again..." , posted Mon 7 Mar 20:30post reply

quote:
The cylons in the new one defeat the entire PURPOSE of the cylons. When Edward James Olmos said "Yeah, the new series is.. bad." and he plays Commander Adama in it, there's something seriously amiss. But I guess if you like something, you like something.. no? ^^

Edit: Damn, that was completely OT. So...

Vampire collection = good.

The Cylon robots are skinny moderns instead of the cool bulky masculine ones they were in the original. Also the Cylon ships in the new one look like the Cylon helmets from the old one if they grew wings and stuff, or were there ships like that in the original? But the good guy ships are close enough to the original.

Here's what some guy on a forum ( http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=e65a38de653e4ce8c81adfb23955a1ea&p=184237#post184237 ) said that E.J.O. said:
quote:

In one of the oddest promotional appearances ever before the TV Writers Summer Tour, Edward James Olmos, who is starring in a new Battlestar Galactica miniseries due to air on the Sci-Fi Channel, gave this advice to fans of the original Galactica series, which aired on ABC between 1978 and 1980: "Please don't watch this program," Olmos said. "Buy yourself the new DVDs that they're putting out of the old episodes, and whenever we come on, just put that one in. ... Trust me. Don't watch it. If you're a real, real staunch Battlestar Galactica person, please don't watch it."

I enjoyed the original series but probably did not watch every episode nor comit them to memory when I saw it decades ago, so I'm not bothered much by stuff more serious fans might be bothered by. Also don't know what the Cylon's purposes are yet in the new one, other than guessing.

I watched Friday's episode last night, it was a little hokey, like a occasional comedy episode, which is allowed if they get back to the serious stuff soon.

They had a Cylon robot at Universal Studios that you can see as they tram ride through a B.S.G. set. This reminds me of that my favorite thing to do at Universal Studios was to trick Kit into prooving that he was really a voice actor and not a talking car. So that's why I hope the Vampire rumor is true so I can buy all 5 or however many arcade games all in one shot.