GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unveiled - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2446 Views )

Iggy
5913th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unveiled" , posted Wed 2 Mar 03:34post reply

This is what is found inside an arcade board of the newest Guitar Freaks or Drum Mania.

Konami....

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?
Amaterasu : Oh ils n'oseront pas. Je suis dans mon droit.
Moi : Vous savez je préfère avoir tord et rester en vie.
Amaterasu : Ah ? Pas moi.

Replies:

IkariDC
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unve" , posted Wed 2 Mar 04:13post reply

quote:
This is what is found inside an arcade board of the newest Guitar Freaks or Drum Mania.

Konami....

I don't know if I should think this is good or bad...

Pollyanna
892th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unve" , posted Wed 2 Mar 05:33post reply

And yet, where are the PS2 ports?

Hoho...of course. You don't need them.

Kikkoken
844th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unve" , posted Wed 2 Mar 06:01post reply

Cancer.

Burning Ranger
1077th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unve" , posted Wed 2 Mar 07:22post reply

quote:

Konami....

I don't know if I should think this is good or bad...

Me too. I'm baffled to say the least. I mean, from the looks of it, its just a hacked PS2? Is it really that surprising, even now with Windows PCs acting as some arcade hardware. Isn't Taito's new arcade platform really just a Windows PC?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Phoenix
734th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unve" , posted Wed 2 Mar 08:15post reply

This is retarted. However, this is actually the direction that I want arcade hardware to take. I mean what's the point of developing something like Triforce? Why not stick in a Xbox 2 or PS3 in there and then release the ports easier with more options like online features? I still don't understand how this is legal though. Unless Konami got Sony's permission.

Red Falcon
5391th Post

"Re(1):GuitarFreaks and DrumMania insides unve" , posted Wed 2 Mar 13:15post reply

No.. No!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Konami!!! What have you done to yourself???

Best site EVER: Link Here

ONSLAUGHT
3279th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 13:38post reply

quote:

Uh, what's wrong with it? it's not like you guys knew the difference while playing. Is it any different? what if tomorrow is revealed that the NeoGeo used a Supernes all along? would that make a difference or change your opinion on the games?
Just a thought

KTallguy
545th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 13:51post reply

quote:

Uh, what's wrong with it? it's not like you guys knew the difference while playing. Is it any different? what if tomorrow is revealed that the NeoGeo used a Supernes all along? would that make a difference or change your opinion on the games?
Just a thought

I've been playing the new Drummania, it's a lot of fun =) I suck at it though, I need to get better...

I'm sure they had some kind of permission for whatever they did.... if they didn't that's surprising.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Red Falcon
5393th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 14:04:post reply

quote:
Just a thought.

As an arcade collector it hurts; unique hardwares seem to be dying (Atomiswave is based off of Dreamcast, too...) but in truth I don't really care. It was just a bit of bland, alleged "humor". Why does it even matter to you what I think, though? I think you were of a philosophy that revolved around some concept of "Saying what you feel and don't care what others say", no?

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention I also thought the upgrade system on their older games of this nature was pretty cool. I wonder what they'll do now.

Edit edit: Apparently this IS an upgrade kit... what???

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Wed 2 Mar 14:11]

ONSLAUGHT
3280th Post

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 14:22post reply

quote:
Why does it even matter to you what I think, though? I think you were of a philosophy that revolved around some concept of "Saying what you feel and don't care what others say", no?

Uh, perhaps I shouldn't have quoted your post, it was more a general question, not necesarily aimed at you.
I was just surprised at how everybody seemed so concerned about this.
It was an honest question, I wasn't attacking you or something.

Red Falcon
5394th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 14:26:post reply

quote:
Uh, perhaps I shouldn't have quoted your post, it was more a general question, not necesarily aimed at you.
I was just surprised at how everybody seemed so concerned about this.
It was an honest question, I wasn't attacking you or something.

Oops, okay! ^^ Personally speaking, I enjoy the actual hardware almost as much as the games when it comes to arcade stuffs. No idea why, really.. I think the homoginization we're seeing in videogames in general is kind of sad. We might end up like things were a while back with just one stagnating system on the market in the next 10 years or so, IMO.

Edit: And as I said, I don't REALLY care. I'm just mildly disappointed Konami isn't using something of their own design.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Wed 2 Mar 14:35]

Grahf
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 16:34post reply

One positive result of this kind of homogenization is the fact that on the Tekken 5 machine at my school, you can plug in a PS2 controller right into the cabinet. This is great for me since I've never been much of an arcade stick user. It also avoids the common pitfall of broken or sticky buttons. This feature might not be news to most people here, but the arcades in my area are pretty sparse, so this is the first time I've ever seen it before.

iggy
5915th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 17:40post reply

To answer to Onsy : the reason why I posted this here was that I thought it was funny. Then, it seemed to me it summed up perfectly a certain Konami philosophy : those games (drummania, DDR, etc) don't need any new hardware ; they may need something of the level of the PS2 for the loadings, but as far as the rest is concerned, they could very well run the arcade boards on a PS1. Those machines are already expensive because of the gimmicky controllers, and they force the arcade owners to buy totally unnecessary upgrades like this. Also, I like how the guys at Konami didn't even bother to remove the PS2 box to have some unmarked chipboard there; no, they let the box, so the arcade owners could read "we sold you a PS2 hundreds of thousand of yen, but you can't say anything because all our next games to reach the girl gamers will use this and you need us, and we don't like you anyways". Also, the only eventual advantage of this (the even faster PS2 conversion) isn't even valid since Konami doesn't seem to be willing to port those games as much as before.
This is a totally unnecessary upgrade, since frankly, all DDR, Pop'n and the rest could very well have played on the same board since DDR1, Pop'n1 and so on; it's just an excuse to make their games even more expensive. And the arcade business is already quite unhealthy, way to go Konami.

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?

Pollyanna
893th Post

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 2 Mar 19:39post reply

They actually did/do need to upgrade at some point to fit more songs on and look better. The newer Drummania/Guitar Freaks have high resolution graphics and tons of songs. Maybe it could fit on a CD, but maybe not. It's easy to say "the graphics don't matter", but I've enjoyed a few of the newer animations, especially when I recognize the artist. It's also nice to have popular songs return, since most arcades have one unit and replace the old game with the new one.

This doesn't matter, though...it's just the unwillingness to port the games to PS2 that pisses me off. I'll give Konami half a year. If they don't make it up to me SOMEHOW in that time, I'll never forgive them.

Iggy
5917th Post

"Konami love / hate" , posted Wed 2 Mar 19:59:post reply

quote:
They actually did/do need to upgrade at some point to fit more songs on and look better. The newer Drum mania/Guitar Freaks have high resolution graphics and tons of songs.

OK, I didn't know for the high resolution.
But how many songs can you stick on a DVD? I'm not saying every game should have hundreds of songs, but... Ugh, I mean, every game should have hundreds of songs. I mean, Pop'n already HAS hundreds of songs in the latest arcade versions.
DDR has been reusing the same animations for most songs without a music video, and it really never bothered anyone.
So, yeah, OK, High res graphics.
Hum.
It's not doing much to change my opinion of Konami.

Edit: Speaking of all this... I was thinking during IC's fucking Konami week, about how, while everyone seems to have grown in a "Nintendô vs. Sega" environment, I grew in a "Konami vs. Capcom" town. Most of us were still playing the NES during the Megadrive years, and many shifted to the SFC then to the SNES as soon as it became available, so nobody really knew what Sega was doing beside the occasional new Sonic nobody really liked. It was all about the new Capcom or Konami game (then later Square Soft came and the group that learned Japanese shifted with the others). I was, needless to say, in the Capcom group (then in the Square-Capcom group).

I totally forgot about this until now, and I think that explains how every new lame move from Capcom pisses me off to no end, like if I was betrayed or something, while the abysmal 2004 Konami year made me giggle like a pretty Happy Tree Friend.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 2 Mar 20:08]

Pollyanna
894th Post

"Re(1):Konami love / hate" , posted Wed 2 Mar 20:55post reply

I have a Capcom/Konami related struggle, too...because I want to love both companies very much, but they both like to make me sad and angry. Sometimes Capcom comes out ahead (like now) and sometimes Konami comes out ahead, but neither can keep the lead for very long.

Pop'n Music doesn't have -hundreds- of songs, but it has quite a few more than Gitadora. Really...if Gitadora had any MORE songs, I wouldn't be able to find any. They should organize them better. I mean...I'd LIKE more songs, but there are quite a few on the new Gitadora versions (unlike the old ones). But...as they make more games, they NEED to have more songs, because you can't play the old machines, and they don't have home ports. So...some beloved old songs are forever lost. (how I miss Monkey Magic)

Obviously, I'm wrestling with my satisfaction levels. I think I'll just end it and say that if I got a "Best Of" home port with 100 songs, I wouldn't complain for several years.

By the way, Iggy, I started Avatar Tuner 2 and it's quite excellent. Better than the first game. If you're totally turned off by the system idea, then forget it...but if not, you might want to consider it. I'm almost enjoying it as much as SMT3 (though somehow, it's giving me SMT2 flashbacks).

Iggy
5917th Post

"Re(2):Konami love / hate" , posted Wed 2 Mar 22:30post reply

quote:
By the way, Iggy, I...

YEAY!!
Just when I was thinking we stayed on topic far too long. You're great.
quote:
I started Avatar Tuner 2 and it's quite excellent. Better than the first game. If you're totally turned off by the system idea, then forget it...

Actually, there are two things that turn me off : I don't have much time for games (and I just bought 5 old things when I didn't even finished some games of september... and Minstrel Song coming... Oh boy), and then I'm afraid of the data exchange between the 1st and 2nd game. You know, like what you did in Avachu 1 has an influence on Avachu 2, and I wonder if it would mean I would have to play both games again if I want to see all the endings in the best conditions; I'm afraid to like the game a little too much for my schedule. But the scenario, from the spoilers I've read, seems really interesting. I'm thinking about buying some kôryakubon of some sort, it might save me a lot of trouble. (a little like when you read a book that summerizes a bigger book, so you don't have to read it but you can act as if you did).

Also, I've just bought Shadow Heart 1 because of Shadow Heart 2 and its Director's cut. My main motivation here is to be able to play a game with bonusses most peoples won't have access to, and then be an ass about it.
The game is still in its box, I didn't even undressed it even though I got it last week.
I really think a day should have between 30 and 36 hours.

CharlesProphony
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Konami love / hate" , posted Wed 2 Mar 23:18post reply

well, about the hardware used in the DDR/GF/DM/all other bemani series, all of them use some modified Playstation hardware, and yes, konami have the permission by sony to modify their hardware... just like some versions of beatmania that shows videos during the game, some can be a PS2, others are just a PSOne with a DVD Drive...
if someone is interested about arcade hardware, take a loot at System 16, it's a very complete database about arcade boards.
oh, and about pc based hardware, the Pump It Up series uses a PC as hardware way before taito-x.

just improving my english...

Red Falcon
5395th Post

"Re(4):Konami love / hate" , posted Thu 3 Mar 07:05post reply

This is an awesome site, thanks!

Pollyanna
897th Post

"Re(3):Konami love / hate" , posted Thu 3 Mar 20:03post reply

quote:

Actually, there are two things that turn me off : I don't have much time for games (and I just bought 5 old things when I didn't even finished some games of september... and Minstrel Song coming... Oh boy), and then I'm afraid of the data exchange between the 1st and 2nd game. You know, like what you did in Avachu 1 has an influence on Avachu 2, and I wonder if it would mean I would have to play both games again if I want to see all the endings in the best conditions; I'm afraid to like the game a little too much for my schedule. But the scenario, from the spoilers I've read, seems really interesting. I'm thinking about buying some kôryakubon of some sort, it might save me a lot of trouble. (a little like when you read a book that summerizes a bigger book, so you don't have to read it but you can act as if you did).

Also, I've just bought Shadow Heart 1 because of Shadow Heart 2 and its Director's cut. My main motivation here is to be able to play a game with bonusses most peoples won't have access to, and then be an ass about it.
The game is still in its box, I didn't even undressed it even though I got it last week.
I really think a day should have between 30 and 36 hours.

I don't think there are multiple endings, though I know some scenarios are altered based on past decisions. Someone said something about your party being different, but I bailed out for fear of being spoiled. If you know, a simple "yes, it can affect your party" would be nice.

I may be able to enjoy AT2 because I'm "over" SMT3 now. When I played AT I enjoyed it, but I felt it was too much like SMT3...only not as good. Now that the sequel is backed by a good plot and various little improvements I'm able to forget about what it isn't and enjoy what a great game it is. It's the first game in a long time that I've been able to play all day long without looking at the clock or wanting to take a break. Also, the battle theme is AMAZING and it's adequetly challenging.

But anyway, I know the pain of having too many games to play all too well. I want to say "it's more important to play the better game, no matter what", but I realize that AT2 won't give you opprotunities to be an ass and everyone has different priorities.

Iggy
5935th Post

"Re(4):Konami love / hate" , posted Thu 3 Mar 20:43post reply

quote:
I bailed out for fear of being spoiled. If you know, a simple "yes, it can affect your party" would be nice.

Oh, no, I don't know, what I said was just something I supposed from the promotion before the release of the game. I tried not to spoil myself as well.

quote:
I realize that AT2 won't give you opprotunities to be an ass and everyone has different priorities.

I like the way you somehow infere I would be doing the wrong choice. Very amusing.

IkariDC
301th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Konami love / hate" , posted Fri 4 Mar 06:25post reply

I'll step in before this thread is lost in the mmc oblivion...

I don't know about the other bemani games, but in the beatmania IIDX games, while you play a song, it's playing a video. Usually, there's an exclusive video for each of the songs, but there are also songs that share the same video bits. It's quite clear that it must be a DVD.

One of the lame things that are doing with the bemani games when they're released on PS2, is that they're just a port of the arcade game, with some more songs and maybe some exclusive modes (but I'm not sure about this). I mean, they could make at least a nice video intro for the game, or in the case of Pop'n Music and beatmania IIDX, thy could make a story mode for some of the featured characters, you know, with a background story, dialogs between the characters, duels, etc. I was very surprised when I got to know that the characters in beatmania IIDX had quite a detailed personality, story and relations and rivalries between them. I don't have a clue where in the hell is explained all of that, 'cos in the games, they are just art for the cover, unlockable art, or they make appearences in some of the songs.

I know for sure that what I'm saying is not going to happen. -_-U

About Konami, it's been always my favourite game company. I was a kid when my father bought a first generation MSX computer, so I've known about konami since the very beggining (almost). Their game carts for MSX were just awesome, there wasn't anything else that looked or sounded better. But those carts were very very expensive, and I was just a kid. My parents would never buy me something so expensive, so I had to endure through many many lame and lazy ports of games from Spectrum or Amstrad, and of course they were all cassette games. You could start loading a game and go play a football match (to football camp) or whatever while waiting. Anyways, I got to play some cart games. I always wanted to play vampire killer and metal gear. Another neat feature of the MSX and Konami carts was that, the MSX had 2 slots for carts, you could try putting 2 Konami carts at the same time, and see if it enabled some special features! For example, you could load Gradius II with Penguin Adventure to turn the Vic Viper into Pentaro.

I never had a game system, excluding a Game Boy my aunt bought me for christmas, and a pong based console that my parents bought me before I was born (I'd like to keep it for my sons!), until I bought a PSX (I got it when the PSOne was going to be released). Why? Because I already had a PC to play with, so my parents didn't want to buy a console...

Well, since I had a Game Boy, I used to buy magazines, so I knew what was going on, and I used to play NES and Mega Drive games thanks to my friends. Thanks to Arcade centers, I got into companys like Capcom and SNK, and my love for Konami kept growing and growing...

Well, enough talk. What's wrong with Konami nowadays? I don't know. I think that they still make great games, but I know that it's different than in the old days. Since the PSX was released, they started making lots of crappy or uninteresting games, but that's something that most of the companies did and are doing. At least, I think that the classic Konami franchises are going well. Shattered Soldiers was like the best present for hardcore & old skool gamers (what do you think about Neo Contra?), Lament wasn't excellent, but still a good game, altough I can understand why some people dislike it. GBA Castlevania games are great/excellent IMO. Gradius V is wonderful, but that's praising Treasure and not Konami. Yesterday I bought the limited European edition of MGS3 that comes in a metallic box. Do I have to say that MGS games are awesome? People might have some issues with them, at least with MGS2, and I don't know if people liked MGS3. I'm at least enjoing it very much!

KTallguy
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Konami love / hate" , posted Fri 4 Mar 14:01post reply

IIDX Red... such a beautiful, expensive game...

I really wonder what kind of hardware it's running... I mean, it's gotta be one of the most expensive arcade cabinets... it's so fricking huge.

I remember they got it at my school's bowling alley because DDR was doing so well... but they made the mistake of charging like 2-3 dollars a play... so it was gone after no one played it... it's a fricking hard game though. I'm still stuck on light seven.

Oh and as far as I'm concerned, Konami and Capcom are both good companies that are forced to milk shit, release fanservice stuff, etc. to stay alive in this world. Overall they release good games. It's difficult to mix Business and Art. We've seen when the business side gets too powerful (EA). When the art(or the 'love of the game') side gets too powerful, you have developers like Cave and stuff going under.

I myself was a huge SEGA fan back in the day. I still love SEGA for the old Sonics and Shen Mue. I'm still waiting for Shen Mue 3. When that comes out (Shen Mue online....eh...), I think I can die in peace. =P

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"