Jetf Smith's BONE, in adventure game format - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1768 Views )

OmegaDog
1453th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Jeff Smith's BONE, in adventure game format" , posted Mon 28 Feb 13:35:post reply

Again, a couple days old, from Slashdot Games -- but worth sharing.

Telltale Games, the group that split from LucasArts after the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police, will be doing an adventure game (or games?) of Jeff Smith's BONE series (Telltale link). I haven't read the books myself -- but I keep hearing from several folks that it's supposed to be good stuff.

Another link: An interview with Graham Annable of Telltale that mentions Bone and talks about Telltale in general.

... and if you want to at least see something of Telltale Games, you can download their Telltale Texas Hold 'Em demo -- and you can even purchase the full version for US$15 if you like it that much. Myself -- I thought some of the humor was a bit flat and some of the lines were a bit annoying, but otherwise the small chit-chat is nice, and the characters you play with do have, well, character. Either way, I'd recommend trying the demo -- it's at least a nice, fun way to spend a few minutes at a time. (And, the game does have some nice jazz music to it.)

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Mon 28 Feb 17:19]

Replies:

HAYATO
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Jeff Smith's BONE, in adventure game fo" , posted Mon 28 Feb 20:02post reply

quote:
I haven't read the books myself -- but I keep hearing from several folks that it's supposed to be good stuff.

Yeah, I was also told it was great stuff, but the little I read when I had the change didn't look too attractive to me...Anyway, it was average entertainment, so yoou'd give it a try. On the other hand, the game can rock, it wouldn't be the first game inspired on a comic that ends being superior to the original concept...

Ishmael
1855th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Jeff Smith's BONE, in adventure game fo" , posted Mon 28 Feb 23:05post reply

Unless the game features numerous references to Moby Dick and cow racing it will be useless.

OmegaDog
1454th Post

"Re(3):Jeff Smith's BONE, in adventure game fo" , posted Tue 1 Mar 01:57:post reply

I didn't realize the Boneville site had (at least several pages of) Book 1 online, as well as pages from other books. What I read, I wouldn't say it's an absolute must-read -- but it's clever at times, and it's entertaining. [Link]

As for numerous references to Moby Dick -- Telltale's BONE page does kinda say that a copy of Moby Dick is one of the items Fone Bone starts off with, so I think it'll be safe there. And for the rest, the interview does say they Telltale and Smith are working closely together on this project -- so I think it's safe to assume it'll include cow racing.

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 1 Mar 01:59]

highlandcattle
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Jeff Smith's BONE, in adventure game fo" , posted Tue 1 Mar 04:46post reply

You should al buy the 50$ paperback with the entire story in.1400 pages or something like that. It's really one engrossing adventure...the end is truly epic and unexpected. Much better then any spiderman or seX-men book .

my blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/highlandcattle /

digitalboy
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Jeff Smith's BONE, in adventure game fo" , posted Tue 1 Mar 06:41post reply

quote:
You should al buy the 50$ paperback with the entire story in.1400 pages or something like that. It's really one engrossing adventure...the end is truly epic and unexpected. Much better then any spiderman or seX-men book .

How true! Jeff Smith created the Bone cousins since he was a young lad. The Bone series is a touch of the Lord of the Ring and the King Arthur age.

If anyone can correct me on this, please do so.

BTW can anyone tell me which Avengers survived the Avengers Disassembled story arc? I just opened a Spider-Man book under the Marvel Knights line and saw some characters that I assumed were killed in the said story arc.

OmegaDog
1459th Post

"Just met Jeff Smith on his book signing tour" , posted Fri 4 Mar 15:14:post reply

Apparently, he's on a book signing tour around a few parts of the States -- the Boneville site's Town Hall section lists where he'll visit. As it turned out, tonight he was stopping at Mile High Comics in the area, so I figured, why not? It'd be an opportunity to pick up a book and get it signed.

They had sold out of the full one-volume edition, and I wasn't in a position to afford each of the books individually -- so I just grabbed a hard-cover copy of the color edition of the first book. I was actually the last one there to get it signed -- felt kinda bad for asking for it though. He was about to start packing up, and apparently the poor guy's wrist was bothering him. He was willing to do one more signing -- though he'd had a long day.

But when I asked him about how he was working with Telltale Games, his face lit up -- he seems to be pretty excited about the project. Apparently, Telltale and he started talking about it at San Diego last year (I'm assuming he meant San Diego Comic Con), negotiating contracts and the like -- and yeah, as you all know, the project was just announced a few days ago.

He mentioned that it was going to be based off "that" -- pointing at the Volume I book I'd just acquired. And, I've just noticed on Telltale's Bone page that it is indeed based on the first volume -- so yeah, it's not based off the entire series, but just volume one. That actually means no cow racing here, I believe.

He also mentioned that at some point in the game, the player would switch from playing as Fone Bone to playing as Phoney Bone. One of the hurdles for Phoney Bone would be that, because of his attitude, nobody seems willing to help him out.

All in all, he seemed to be excited about how Bone would be represented in adventure game format.

After that, I took a photo with him, and thanked him for his time as he was packing up to leave. He'll finish off the rest of the week in the Bay Area -- Friday in San Francisco, and the weekend in Berkeley -- and he'll resume his tour a month afterward in SoCal, New York, and Illinois.

"IT'S PAYBACK TIME..." "LOCKED AND LOADED!" | CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Fri 4 Mar 16:31]

Ishmael
1869th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Just met Jeff Smith on his book signing" , posted Sun 6 Mar 02:27post reply

Glad to hear you had a good experience meeting Jeff Smith. The couple of times that I've seen him in person he's always come across as very personable and enthusiastic.

I'm still not certain how Bone's sometimes strange mix of Tolkien, Melville and Carl Barks is going to translate to a game but if they can pull it off it will be neat to see. The news that you will be able to play as Phoney in all his loudmouthed glory makes it sound like some interesting ideas are getting floated around for the game at least.

Digitalboy
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Just met Jeff Smith on his book signing" , posted Sun 6 Mar 06:18post reply

quote:
...Phoney in all his loudmouthed glory...

Wasn't there suppose to be a fully animated feature based on the comics as well? Is it canned? I wanted to hear Phoney saying "No I don't want to ride your stupid cows!" in a cinematic wide screen perspective.