pump it up! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1990 Views )

exodus
2389th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"pump it up!" , posted Wed 23 Feb 09:10post reply

Dunno if anyone is interested, but mastiff is bringing pump it up to PS2 and xbox in june or something.

I've got a preview version of it - it's pretty different from DDR...and expects a bit more from you as well. Lots of Kpop and vocal trance. Feels a bit more like dancing than DDR does, I'd say?

I'm gonna order the korean version I think. I don't feel like waiting til june - plus then I'll have two pads. yayay!

Replies:

rid hershel
6416th Post

"Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 09:21post reply

Pump it up destroyed DDR in the arcades down here. Way more popular.

random news

Lupin
2950th Post

"Re(1):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 10:06post reply

quote:
Pump it up destroyed DDR in the arcades down here. Way more popular.

Dancing games cost too much and fun too little.
Why would I pay 25 for dancing game when I can actually go dancing... I already know random people's answers to that.
Dancing games might cost $1 per song, you can go to a dancing place for much cheaper and with actual better dancing too.
Also dancing is less fun than Segaing anyway...

rid hershel
6418th Post

"Re(2):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 10:11:post reply

You don't "dance" in dancing games, you just press the keys in order with your feet.

Saying that it's "dancing" it's like saying that playing Guitar Freaks is the same as playing a guitar.

random news

[this message was edited by rid hershel on Wed 23 Feb 10:14]

exodus
2392th Post

"Re(3):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 10:14:post reply

rid is correct.

what's fun is the competition, and following complex steps. and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh pain in your legs.

[edit]
I can spell names.

[this message was edited by exodus on Thu 24 Feb 01:32]

Lupin
2951th Post

"Re(3):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 10:20post reply

quote:
You don't "dance" in dancing games, you just press the keys in order with your feet.

Saying that it's "dancing" it's like saying that playing Guitar Freaks is the same as playing a guitar.

If you don't dance the other players will make fun of you. Everybody dances when they play dancing games.

Pollyanna
876th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 10:55post reply

quote:

If you don't dance the other players will make fun of you. Everybody dances when they play dancing games.

I disagree on both accounts. You can incidentally dance while playing a dancing game....if you're good enough. (or rather, you can incidentally play the game while dancing) You can NOT incidentally play the guitar while playing Guitar Freaks.

Around here, though...people who dance get laughed at. It's not always a bad kind of laugh, but the "cool guys" never dance. You can't really dance on the super hard songs anyway.

OmegaDog
1449th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):pump it up!" , posted Wed 23 Feb 10:59post reply

I love the Pump It Up pad more than the DDR Pad -- though I wasn't as crazy about the music, at least compared to DDR 3 Ver. Korea 2. (Korean version had some AWESOME exclusive music. The arcade at my university town had it for a while.)

Pump It Up had some fun songs, though I didn't think it had as many that were as dance-catchy. (I forget which version exactly it was that I was playing.) But yeah -- the dance pad was awesome, though.

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Spoon
786th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):pump it up!" , posted Wed 23 Feb 12:38post reply

To me, Pump has always looked like the more interesting game... what with the diagonally placed buttons, the more interesting graphics...

For a time it was somewhat popular around here, and there were people that actually chose to dance while playing it... but for some reason more people just played DDR. Then again, the machine was often mysteriously broken for HUGE periods of time... I have more memories of it being broken than it being on, let alone being played.

And so Pump died and DDR yet lives on.

kurushimi
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):pump it up!" , posted Wed 23 Feb 14:14post reply

quote:
To me, Pump has always looked like the more interesting game... what with the diagonally placed buttons, the more interesting graphics...

For a time it was somewhat popular around here, and there were people that actually chose to dance while playing it... but for some reason more people just played DDR. Then again, the machine was often mysteriously broken for HUGE periods of time... I have more memories of it being broken than it being on, let alone being played.

And so Pump died and DDR yet lives on.

DDR has long since passed its prime in Japan (Konami released Extreme in Japan almost 2 years ago, and no word of any future releases), and it's slowly reaching an impasse here in the US, with it being relatively common thanks to the PS2 versions now.

So the timing might be right for Pump it Up to be released here - something fresh to excite US fans of the genre. I don't know about the latest version of the game, but I remember when it was first released, it was scorned by DDR fans everywhere as a cheap knock-off. Konami tried to take them to court in fact for copyright infringement, if I remember my facts right.

I might pick this up just to support Mastiff, since they released Gungrave OD, but the prospect of having to buy a new pad is annoying...

ArrowedGuy
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):pump it up!" , posted Wed 23 Feb 16:05post reply

Sweet. Pump has always done better at local arcades than DDR, and I've preferred it more. The diagonal arrows are more... "ergonomic", I guess, than DDR's four directions, and the bizarre animations that go with each song are part of it's charm.

Iggy
5861th Post

"Re(4):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 17:32post reply

quote:
what's fun is the competition, and following complex steps. and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh pain in your legs.

The biggest selling point of a dance game is to make your butt look better.

I haven't played Pump, but I'm really afraid of Korean pop... Most singers I've heard had a voice way, way to high for my tastes. I'm not sweating on the song of a cat being butchered.
Also, DDR has a lot of '90 eurodance, which will stay the unreachable peak of catchy horrible music. No eastern country managed to emulate it (though some Naoki songs come very close).

And finally... What's that thing about people playing games in the arcades? What's so fun about people watching you sweat until you look like you went outside during a tropical storm of urine? That's what running is for, and at least you can listen to better music when you run.

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?
Amaterasu : Oh ils n'oseront pas. Je suis dans mon droit.
Moi : Vous savez je préfère avoir tord et rester en vie.
Amaterasu : Ah ? Pas moi.

kurushimi
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Wed 23 Feb 23:55post reply

quote:

And finally... What's that thing about people playing games in the arcades? What's so fun about people watching you sweat until you look like you went outside during a tropical storm of urine? That's what running is for, and at least you can listen to better music when you run.

Don't you know, the sheen of sweat you form playing is a sign of your DDAura!

But besides the obvious use of the excuse "Where else can you claim to be playing video games AND getting healthy", DDR has more variety than jogging. Then again, reach a certain level of skill and you'll start to remember sequences of arrows and zone out.

And yes, pump it up does have better graphics and video, but that's more to the benefit of the onlookers - the player's too busy concentrating on the arrows...

I'll admit though, if you're going to be playing in the arcade, at least try to entertain the audience - even if it's by failing with burning vigor.

emeraldazn
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 07:33post reply

quote:

The biggest selling point of a dance game is to make your butt look better.

I haven't played Pump, but I'm really afraid of Korean pop... Most singers I've heard had a voice way, way to high for my tastes. I'm not sweating on the song of a cat being butchered.
Also, DDR has a lot of '90 eurodance, which will stay the unreachable peak of catchy horrible music. No eastern country managed to emulate it (though some Naoki songs come very close).

Well since you listen to Japanese music..alot of the Koreans are invading Japan after having success in their korea country. Here's some you can try:
Bi- I do
se7en- hikari
BoA- she has a bunch of Japanese songs..I'm sure you're familiar with this girl

Or you can tell me what music you listen to..is it just pop? ballad? whatever

Pollyanna
881th Post

"Re(5):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 07:39post reply

quote:

I had to manage this very well, because I knew when I played in the arcade, people would watch me, and I couldn't possibly get really SWEATY in front of people. So....I couldn't play a lot of games in a row, and I would have to watch what I wore.

There was one time I was at an anime convention (shock) and cosplaying (shockshock) before DDR was very big in America and I played. I'm no DDR pro by any stretch of the imagination, but back then, I was really impressive to all the losers watching me. I got a lot of applause, but I was very sweaty at the end and had to try and look cool and mysterious by immediately leaving, never to return. I HAD to go take a shower immediately.

exodus
2392th Post

"Re(6):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 07:52post reply

I don't need these games to make my butt look good, it does that all by itself.

the real reason to play is to increase stamina.

Iggy
5871th Post

"Re(6):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 07:57post reply

Pollyanna : I can't find anything to say beside "HAHAHAHAHA !"

quote:
Or you can tell me what music you listen to..is it just pop? ballad? whatever

Actually, I judge the music I listen to seriously (opposed to the things I listen to have a cheap laugh like the crap in DDR or Tommy February6) mostly on the lyrics. An unimpressive voice and a banal melody are totally unimportant if the lyrics are well written.
In Japan, I only know two person who write good lyrics, Utada Hikaru and Onizuka Chihiro (not to say there aren't more who can write, just that I don't know much about Japanese songs). Ah, and J.A. Cesar, but he doesn't count, and I haven't listened enough non-Utena things for my liking.
And, well, I don't know any Korean, so I don't have access to anyone who writes well in this language.

And before anyone attack me : no, I don't like Vincent Delerm. Do I look like a bobo, really?

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?

exodus
2395th Post

"Re(7):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 08:13post reply

man, I can't deal with utada hikaru. how pedestrian!

haha, I'm snootier than the french!~

Iggy
5874th Post

"Re(8):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 08:25post reply

quote:
man, I can't deal with utada hikaru. how pedestrian!
haha, I'm snootier than the french!~

Unfortunately for me, I can't play the L33t game about certain serious matters, which include writting.
Utada, bitch ! Look what you have done to my reputation !

But if I say I like it only for the lyrics, it still puts me appart from those illiterate scums.

OmegaDog
1451th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 08:51post reply

quote:
There was one time I was at an anime convention (shock) and cosplaying (shockshock) before DDR was very big in America and I played. I'm no DDR pro by any stretch of the imagination, but back then, I was really impressive to all the losers watching me. I got a lot of applause, but I was very sweaty at the end and had to try and look cool and mysterious by immediately leaving, never to return. I HAD to go take a shower immediately.

This is why you save up for a convention hotel room. [That, or hope and pray that the major cons in your area happen really close to where you live.]

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Pollyanna
883th Post

"Re(7):Lazenca Save Us" , posted Thu 24 Feb 09:03post reply

quote:

This is why you save up for a convention hotel room. [That, or hope and pray that the major cons in your area happen really close to where you live.]

Oh, I had a hotel room and everything, but when you wear an elaborate costume with makeup and a wig and everything, once you take a shower, you don't really want to go back out.

Also, the only Korean group I like is DiscoTruck, though I wonder if they've disbanded. I like the music in Pump it Up a lot...they have a lot of classical songs, oddly enough.