Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2006 Views )

Ishmael
1845th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 02:28post reply

I'm not sure at what point the Tenchu series turned into a playable homage to old, crazy chambara stories. While most games are content to stick with lifting characters from other forms of media, Tenchu Kurenai/Fatal Shadows has done one better by making the game so closely resemble an action series that there are previews for the upcoming chapter after you beat a level. Since I'm a fan of the material that's being referenced -as well as a fan of ninja girls in general- I'm getting a real kick out of the game.

The reason I'm posting this is because while I feel that there are aspects of the game that need updating I'm afraid the somewhat negative reviews out there are going to hurt the game. While T:FS has minor tweaks instead of a major overhaul of the game it's still as enjoyable as the previous Tenchu games. If you can still find joy in the simple pleasures in life such as slitting someone's throat or disrupting guard patrol routes by throwing the corpse of their dead friend at their feet this is the game for you.

As a final, minor point I got a kick out of having the narrator for the Japanese language track be Kiyoshi Kobayashi. It's nice to see that guy is still going after all these years.

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3271th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 03:08post reply

Just one little question, is Rikimaru or Tesshu playable?
If the answer is no, then I won't bother with this game.

Undead Fred
2136th Post

"Re(1):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 03:24:post reply

quote:
I'm not sure at what point the Tenchu series turned into a playable homage to old, crazy chambara stories. While most games are content to stick with lifting characters from other forms of media, Tenchu Kurenai/Fatal Shadows has done one better by making the game so closely resemble an action series that there are previews for the upcoming chapter after you beat a level. Since I'm a fan of the material that's being referenced -as well as a fan of ninja girls in general- I'm getting a real kick out of the game.

The reason I'm posting this is because while I feel that there are aspects of the game that need updating I'm afraid the somewhat negative reviews out there are going to hurt the game. While T:FS has minor tweaks instead of a major overhaul of the game it's still as enjoyable as the previous Tenchu games. If you can still find joy in the simple pleasures in life such as slitting someone's throat or disrupting guard patrol routes by throwing the corpse of their dead friend at their feet this is the game for you.

As a final, minor point I got a kick out of having the narrator for the Japanese language track be Kiyoshi Kobayashi. It's nice to see that guy is still going after all these years.

Ah, damn. I was going to start a thread about this game too, but you beat me to it. Heh heh.

I got this game last week and beat it yesterday... I've got some complaints about it, though. First off, it feels pretty rushed. I can overlook recycling some old models, but the story itself just didn't seem as worked out as the other games... It also felt a lot less compelling than the other games, too. I did like the episodic format, though.

As for gameplay, I didn't like the way you couldn't choose which character to take to which level in story mode (you know, how the others had separate story tracks for each), but I got used to it after a few levels. The camera system, though, did seem a lot clunkier than in past games, and I KNOW the double-jump to catch low fences and low-hanging rooftops and other edges is not working as well as usual... I had quite a few times where I really had trouble catching edges that were really low enough to be able to catch under normal circumstances. Also, it seemed like the enemy swords had kung-fu movie physics to them... I'd see one swinging at me, and I'd step back to avoid their strikes, but they'd still manage to hit me even after I was at a good step or two away from their range. Giving stealth kills to normal guards was also pretty aggravating, too... Every time I got hit with one, it was after I managed to somehow screw up a high jump down to stealth kill a guard from above (I'm usually really good at those...). I'd land right in front of them, they'd go "aaa!" and then grab me and kill me in one shot. I've also had another type of guard pull a one-hit kill from the front in a middle of a fight (two separate times). And did the levels seem a lot shorter this time?

I did enjoy the game, and I liked Rin a lot, but I just wish they could have spent a little more time tightening up the gameplay.

EDIT:
quote:

I don't know yet, but yeah, I can definitely understand not wanting to play the game if they aren't... they were the only characters I had really used before. Not sure why, but I never really liked using Ayame. If anyone knows if Rikimaru or Tesshu are playable, could you make sure to put it in a spoiler tag? Since the game's supposed to be be a prequel to 3, I'm not really holding out much hope for Rikimaru....

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Tue 22 Feb 03:29]

deisied
261th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 06:44post reply

quote:

Feh. Stupid. It's the same damn mechanics. Tenchu is pretty okay, but it's just mediocre enough that if you're gonna play Tenchu you're just gonna play Tenchu. Doesn't seem to be worth excluding just for a character if you actually signed up for Tenchu.

Undead Fred
2139th Post

"Re(3):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 07:49:post reply

quote:
Feh. Stupid. It's the same damn mechanics. Tenchu is pretty okay, but it's just mediocre enough that if you're gonna play Tenchu you're just gonna play Tenchu. Doesn't seem to be worth excluding just for a character if you actually signed up for Tenchu.

I assume you mean it's stupid to not want to play a Tenchu game just because Rikimaru's not in it... which I disagree with. Aside from the fact that Rikimaru and Ayame handle differently, I prefer using Rikimaru because I like playing a ninja game where the character actually has the whole ninja look and style. It's not that Ayame doesn't come across as a ninja, but she doesn't have the "guy wearing black and doesn't say much and blah blah blah wears a mask on his face and a ninja-toh on his back" thing going. And Tesshu's just a bad-ass assassin.

Has anyone else played the game? I was wondering if anyone else had the same "OMG THIS IS UNBALANCED AND GLITCHYYYY" thoughts I had.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Rin sort of plays like Tatsumaru, if I remember him correctly... sort of in-between Rikimaru and Tesshu.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Tue 22 Feb 07:53]

Pollyanna
868th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 07:57post reply

quote:

At first, I thought "I agree", but then I realized that perhaps Tenchu is so mediocre that little details like that become important. Like..."Well, the game isn't that awesome, but at least I get to use an awesome ninja."

I only played 3 levels of Kurenai (I don't own the game) and it was amazingly better than Tenchu 3 to me (so, I had a good time)...but then again, I've never been a big Tenchu fan. I don't really like ninja and the games are conistantly sloppy.

Undead Fred
2139th Post

"Re(4):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 09:42post reply

quote:

At first, I thought "I agree", but then I realized that perhaps Tenchu is so mediocre that little details like that become important. Like..."Well, the game isn't that awesome, but at least I get to use an awesome ninja."

I only played 3 levels of Kurenai (I don't own the game) and it was amazingly better than Tenchu 3 to me (so, I had a good time)...but then again, I've never been a big Tenchu fan. I don't really like ninja and the games are conistantly sloppy.

I'm not really sure what is so mediocre about the games... the graphics aren't knock-out great, but I thought they had fairly good characters and stories. Again, not the greatest ever, but they're not that bad...

The game mechanics work out well enough in the previous ones, but it would be nice if they would have worked on tightening up the swordfighting a bit more. Maybe they tried to in Kurenai, but the fighting and camera are actually worse in my opinion.

Pollyanna
871th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 10:18post reply

quote:

I'm not really sure what is so mediocre about the games... the graphics aren't knock-out great, but I thought they had fairly good characters and stories. Again, not the greatest ever, but they're not that bad...

The game mechanics work out well enough in the previous ones, but it would be nice if they would have worked on tightening up the swordfighting a bit more. Maybe they tried to in Kurenai, but the fighting and camera are actually worse in my opinion.

Let's take a look at the words you are using.
1: Aren't knock-out great
2:Fairly good
3: Not the greatest ever
4:Not that bad
5:Work out well enough
6: Maybe they tried
7: Actually worse

These are all terms used to describe a mediocre game. I pretty much agree with you, though...it's just that I think Tenchu is easy (and fun) to make fun of.

Gojira
1640th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 10:40post reply

quote:

Well, fighting was never supposed to be easy in Tenchu; it's more of a punishment for not being stealthy enough. That said, after I got used to it I found the fighting and camera in Kurenai were much better than previous versions. You just have to learn how to use the R-stick well to see and use the R2 lock-on for boss battles.

And BTW you can play Rin in Ayame's missions and vice versa, it's just a seperate mode.

Off with your nose

Ishmael
1846th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Tenchu: Kurenai/Fatal Shadows" , posted Tue 22 Feb 11:41post reply

quote:
Well, fighting was never supposed to be easy in Tenchu; it's more of a punishment for not being stealthy enough. That said, after I got used to it I found the fighting and camera in Kurenai were much better than previous versions. You just have to learn how to use the R-stick well to see and use the R2 lock-on for boss battles.

The camera feels a lot more sensitive this time out which makes it initially a bit annoying but once I got it down I found I could get a bead on your target very quickly. The fighting also felt fine to me as long as I remembered when and when not to use the R2 button. I suspect one thing that gets people with the fighting is that on their standard attacks neither Rin nor Ayame have the range Rikimaru had on his sword swings.

Oh, and sorry Undead Fred, I haven't come across any problem with grabbing onto ledges so far. Some of the roofs have anti-ninja fences on some sides(?!?) but otherwise when I have the ninja girls leap for something they can usually grab it.

Playing Tenchu reminds me how much aesthetics factor into the enjoyment of a game. For example, when playing through a level of Tenchu I was first greeted with a prologue that looked like it was straight out of Yagyu Conspiracy. After that I guided a ninja girl through a town until she found and killed an evil version of Zatoichi. Upon finishing the level the voice of Jigen assured me that evil would continue to die in a flash of crimson in the next exciting episode of Tenchu. Since I dig all these things it's small wonder I'm enjoying the game. It's not that an appealing atmosphere can overcome problems a player may have with gameplay -I like the world of MGS3 but it's going to be awhile before I can be bothered to finish that game- but it can make the player more receptive to the game's strengths.

ONSLAUGHT
3273th Post

"OK" , posted Tue 22 Feb 13:39post reply

quote:

1.-No, it's not stupid.
2.- It's not the same damn mechanics if you lack certain character.

You see, I always saw Ayame like a nifty extra, a nice adition to Rikimaru, an optional character, a bonus...
If my main character is out, I don't want to play a game composed only of the bonus character, and if it's the sama damn mechanics, then the game would feel incomplete without the character that made those damn mechanics work in past games.
I don't like weak women in my games, unless the game has been designed that way since the beginning (Metroid, RE, etc.), and since this is not the case with Tenchu, then I refuse to play it.

Say whatever you like, but there's a world of diference between Ayame and Rikimaru.
The only good temporal substitute for Rikimaru would be Tesshu or Tatsumaru.

Gojira
1642th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):OK" , posted Tue 22 Feb 14:38:post reply

That's right, it's not stupid. I hated a lot of things about Rikimaru so this was like the best Tenchu ever for me.

Of course now I like Rin so much I'd rather have her in all the games from now on instead of Ayame. Or even a second series with Rin and Tesshu...

BTW what's the name of that Sangoku Musou-looking game that has her in it? I saw it a while ago on Gamefaqs and forgot to save the link. Anyone know?

Off with your nose

[this message was edited by Gojira on Tue 22 Feb 14:41]

Undead Fred
2140th Post

"Re(1):OK" , posted Tue 22 Feb 14:50post reply

quote:
Let's take a look at the words you are using.
1: Aren't knock-out great
2:Fairly good
3: Not the greatest ever
4:Not that bad
5:Work out well enough
6: Maybe they tried
7: Actually worse

These are all terms used to describe a mediocre game. I pretty much agree with you, though...it's just that I think Tenchu is easy (and fun) to make fun of.

Well, you can take those out of context and make it look bad, I guess. I was actually being a bit "light" on my comments so the thread wouldn't turn into some fanboy rant... I actually like Tenchu a good bit. I've heard people whining about the camera in the past and little nitpicky things like that, but I never understood what the problem was...
quote:

And BTW you can play Rin in Ayame's missions and vice versa, it's just a seperate mode.

Well, yeah. I kind of figured that would come up... I know you're not really supposed to fight anyone and stealth kill them all instead, but you DO have to fight bosses, so I'd want the fighting to be really solid for that part of it. I do like the dodging system with holding R2 and hitting jump and a direction (which I'm pretty sure is a new feature), though. I'm not sure if the camera's what's bugging me about the fighting, or the lock-on... I guess I just assume a lock-on would turn you to face whoever you're locked on to so you could block incoming attacks, but they don't turn at all. All of the little bugs and stuff seem like they can be worked around, but it's still frustrating. It's good that not everyone's having that ledge grab problem (I don't mean the anti-ninja rooftops... I'm talking about all of the other shorter ledges that you can totally reach).

quote:
Say whatever you like, but there's a world of diference between Ayame and Rikimaru.
The only good temporal substitute for Rikimaru would be Tesshu or Tatsumaru.

I agree. The Tenchu series is centered around Rikimaru, really. Ayame's a supporting character, but she's always been sort of secondary to Rikimaru. They DO play differently, and I think that's why I don't like playing with Ayame. I like Rikimaru's look and style, as well as the way he plays. Like I said before, though, at least Rin sort of plays like a Rikimaru/ Tatsumaru/ Tesshu.

deisied
262th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):OK" , posted Tue 22 Feb 16:13post reply

quote:

I don't like weak women in my games, unless the game has been designed that way since the beginning (Metroid, RE, etc.), and since this is not the case with Tenchu, then I refuse to play it.

Sigh...Awesome. Well, pretend this game is stand alone or something. Besides, the game is centered around them, it's not like they're going to be falling all over themselves. They're pretty much just Riki in perspective, minus the aesthetic. But...yeah...awesome...

ONSLAUGHT
3274th Post

"Re(2):OK" , posted Wed 23 Feb 03:34post reply

quote:

Sigh...Awesome. Well, pretend this game is stand alone or something. Besides, the game is centered around them, it's not like they're going to be falling all over themselves. They're pretty much just Riki in perspective, minus the aesthetic. But...yeah...awesome...

Then buy me the fucking game, and I'll play all you want...

Why don't you go to suck some dick, and pretend it's a lollipop? It's pretty much a lolli in perspective, minus the aesthetic.

deisied
263th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):OK" , posted Wed 23 Feb 08:48post reply

Nah. Don't play the game, it's not that great. Play good games for better reasons though.

DarkZero
1125th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):OK" , posted Wed 23 Feb 12:27:post reply

And since no one seems to have bothered to answer the question yet:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
No, Rikimaru is not playable. Neither is Tesshu.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by DarkZero on Wed 23 Feb 13:46]