RIP Hunter S. Thompson - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2115 Views )

simonbelmont
13th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Mon 21 Feb 16:38:post reply

Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism (gonzo) in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

Sad but I'm really not surprised.

I used to live in Puerto Rico and his novel 'The Rum Diary' perfectly captured the ugly sides of that island and its people. You'll be missed Hunter!

[this message was edited by simonbelmont on Mon 21 Feb 16:48]

Replies:

OYashiroForever
817th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Mon 21 Feb 18:51post reply

Brilliant man... to be honest, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

RIP

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Undead Fred
2132th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Mon 21 Feb 19:08post reply

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of "I'm surprised this hadn't happened sooner" posts...

Yeah, it sucks that he's dead. I wonder if he's still going to have his old funeral memorial plan (it was on a documentary on the Fear and Loathing DVD)- it was basically that he'd be cremated, then the ashes would be put in a giant red fist with a thumb on either side that would shoot out of the ground in the middle of the desert and explode, spreading his ashes everywhere.

Lupin
2947th Post

"Re(1):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Mon 21 Feb 20:04post reply

quote:
Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism (gonzo) in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his Aspen-area home, his son said. He was 67.

Sad but I'm really not surprised.

I used to live in Puerto Rico and his novel 'The Rum Diary' perfectly captured the ugly sides of that island and its people. You'll be missed Hunter!

That's tragic.

It would be interesting if next time someone killed theirself it was in the samurai style.

Iggy
5846th Post

"Re(2):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Mon 21 Feb 21:11post reply

quote:
It would be interesting if next time someone killed theirself it was in the samurai style.

Unfortunately, this has been totally out of fashion since the early 70's.
Yeah, apparently writing pretentious and tasteless books wasn't enough for Yukio, he also had to spoil the fun for everyone this way as well.

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?
Amaterasu : Oh ils n'oseront pas. Je suis dans mon droit.
Moi : Vous savez je préfère avoir tord et rester en vie.
Amaterasu : Ah ? Pas moi.

Ishmael
1844th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Tue 22 Feb 00:23post reply

Thompson hadn't looked well for years but it was hard to tell if that was due to illness or lifestyle choices.

Krzyzewski Man
1042th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Tue 22 Feb 00:55post reply

quote:

Yeah, apparently writing pretentious and tasteless books wasn't enough for Yukio, he also had to spoil the fun for everyone this way as well.

What's wrong with a shotgun to the face? Hell, his last ESPN.com column was him calling Bill Murray at 3:00 in the morning to discuss Dr. Thompson's new sport: shotgun golf. I'm thinking this kinda fits.

Krzyzewski Man:
Lowering the tone since 1985.

Red Falcon
5384th Post

"Re(3):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Tue 22 Feb 04:38:post reply

quote:

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he bumped himself off (Mishima, not Thompson!). I think it got to the point where he was considered a bit of a national embarassment. I don't think his early books were so bad, though.. did you, Iggy?

Edited to make things more clear. Edited again for sloppiness despite the fact that the message has already been received!

Best site EVER: Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Tue 22 Feb 08:33]

Iggy
5850th Post

"Re(4):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Tue 22 Feb 05:39post reply

quote:
did you, Iggy?

Actually, I read a few books in japanese a few month ago, and it was a nightmare of badly written sequences, cheap psychology, and awful style. The first one was the Kinkakuji, which actually has a french translation better than the original text, and the second the beginning of the sea of fertility, which I won't read to the end in original version (I already did in French. God, that was painful).
But a teacher told me I should read is gayer books, like kamen no kokuhaku, or that book with a sailor in the title ; his style in those seems a lot better.

I think I won't, at least not now. After a ritual purification with two books from Salman Rushdie, I've started Tanizaki Jun.ichirô in original version, and while his japanese is ten times more difficult than Mishima's and it takes a lot more time to read, the strength of the author immediatly got my attention.

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?

HAYATO
285th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Tue 22 Feb 07:26post reply

Hey, Mishima wasn't such a bad boy...

I recently read a brief psychological study about him, and I found him a very interesting figure. Plus, he reminds me of certain Street Fighter character...

exodus
2388th Post

"Re(6):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Wed 23 Feb 09:01post reply

he paved the way for us all ;_;

Iggy
5860th Post

"Re(6):RIP Hunter S. Thompson" , posted Wed 23 Feb 17:18post reply

quote:
Hey, Mishima wasn't such a bad boy...

True, true... How he could stay in the closet while being so obvious at the same time is quite a performance.
He kinda reminds me of Tobias Fünke.Tobias is funnier, though.