Pangya Players? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (14038 Views )

Mav
69th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Pangya Players?" , posted Fri 18 Feb 13:32post reply

Anyone here playing the Korean golf game, PangYa, mentioned on Insert Credit? I've been playing the Japanese version for kicks, at nights, and I'm looking for more players.
More advice, too. It's not incredibly important to me, but earning money seems to be too slow, even in VS mode. Is there an easier way of getting more bonus money? I noticed I got some of those Blue Aztec balls from something and using them yielded much more gain, but I can't purchase more because they seem to cost their "pay real money" money.
My friend got a hole in one on a par three the other night. Crazy 500 bonus.

For those who stumble into this thread, disappointed at golf or something, have this more amusing link.

Deliver the pizza straight into my fat, cheese-ridden mouth.

Replies:

DarkZero
1126th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Pangya Players?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 16:50post reply

I'm trying to play it, but the English site just tells me "After registering on the home page, and agreeing to the license, you may click the download link below to download PangYa client file."

Problem is, I don't see anywhere to register, and there's no link to download it on that page.

Lupin
2954th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Pangya Players?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 17:47post reply

quote:
I'm trying to play it, but the English site just tells me "After registering on the home page, and agreeing to the license, you may click the download link below to download PangYa client file."

Problem is, I don't see anywhere to register, and there's no link to download it on that page.

I think I saw that was on Majora news. I was going to try it but it was in Korean and you had to sign up on a Korean language page.

Moo
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Pangya Players?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 18:33post reply

quote:
More advice, too. It's not incredibly important to me, but earning money seems to be too slow, even in VS mode. Is there an easier way of getting more bonus money?

You can earn a lot from playing in tournaments, but you won't earn much EXP that way. You need EXP to go up in rank so that you can upgrade your stats and/or purchase higher level clothing.

I earned a lot of Pang Points by repeatedly playing the first three holes of WizWiz. They're actually pretty easy to get Birdies or even Eagles in, and because it's a three star difficulty course, you get three times the points.

If you didn't already know, you can upgrade stats for both your character and your clubs. Every time you go up in rank (not letters, but actual rank names), you will gain a few more "slots" for certain attributes. Upgrading those slots costs Pang Points.

You can also obtain stat bonuses or extra slots by buying certain clothes.

I found this site yesterday. It has a lot of helpful tips, including how to do the special shots, if you didn't already know how.

quote:
I noticed I got some of those Blue Aztec balls from something and using them yielded much more gain, but I can't purchase more because they seem to cost their "pay real money" money.

I believe you get about forty Blue Star Aztec balls to begin with. I suspect that each shot you make uses one ball. It seems that if you get a Pangya shot while using them, you'll get an Aztec bonus (I'm not sure how much), and five bonus points are given to anyone else playing with you.

If you want to buy more from the shop, you have to pay in CP (Cookie Points), which requires real money.

quote:
My friend got a hole in one on a par three the other night. Crazy 500 bonus.

Chip-ins give huge bonuses. For about two hundred yards, you get something like four hundred points. If you take advantage of the beam of light to slow the ball down when it goes in, you'll get a "Beam Impact" bonus of about one hundred points.

quote:

The English site isn't really complete, probably because there isn't an English server (to my knowledge, anyway).

quote:
I think I saw that was on Majora news. I was going to try it but it was in Korean and you had to sign up on a Korean language page.

I recommend trying the Japanese version out. You don't need a Korean Social Security Number to register or play.

Professor
2224th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Pangya Players?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 19:00:post reply

quote:
More advice, too. It's not incredibly important to me, but earning money seems to be too slow, even in VS mode. Is there an easier way of getting more bonus money? I noticed I got some of those Blue Aztec balls from something and using them yielded much more gain, but I can't purchase more because they seem to cost their "pay real money" money.

Chip ins, hole in ones, and shooting your ball right into the hole gives you really good bonuses, but it's a bit dependent on luck. But it's worth the try and doesn't hurt either, so go for them.

For a more stable way of earning points, play Sepia Wind or White Wiz, and hit your your first shot with MAX power (or close to it) to get a good overdrive on it. Overdrives happen when your ball rolls, making your shot go beyond the number of yards that it would normally travel.

On holes where you know you can get a good overdrive, try using a power shot and hitting your ball on MAX power. That'll give you a Super Pangya bonus, which doubles your points from the overdrive.

Also, play tournaments rather than VS mode. you'll get more Points for your play time since you can go through a whole course in about 30-40 minutes.

On a side note, you consume one aztec per hole, so 18 holes=18 Aztecs. You get 30 Points per pangya by using Aztecs, but they cost real money to buy.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 25 Feb 19:08]

Moo
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Pangya Players?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 19:13post reply

quote:
Play Sepia Wind or White Wiz, and hit your your first shot with MAX power (or close to it) to get a good overdrive on it. Overdrives happen when your ball rolls, making your shot go beyond the number of yards that it would normally travel.

On holes where you know you can get a good overdrive, try using a power shot and hitting your ball on MAX power. That'll give you a Super Pangya bonus, which doubles your points from the overdrive.

I forgot about Over Drive, thanks Professor.

On White Wiz, try to hit the ball onto the areas with lots of ice. Ice makes the ball go a lot further, so you get a lot of Over Drive. Likewise, on other maps, try to hit the ball onto pathways and sidewalks, they have a similar effect to ice.

DarkZero
1128th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Pangya Players?" , posted Sat 26 Feb 14:40post reply

Is there any guide anywhere that could just direct me to where us non-Japanese/Korean speakers can register and download? It looks fairly self-explanatory once you get into the game (the menus look exactly like Gunbound, but just in Japanese/Korean, but I'm really not sure what to do on the Japanese and Korean sites.

Moo
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Pangya Players?" , posted Sat 26 Feb 17:23post reply

quote:
Is there any guide anywhere that could just direct me to where us non-Japanese/Korean speakers can register and download? It looks fairly self-explanatory once you get into the game (the menus look exactly like Gunbound, but just in Japanese/Korean, but I'm really not sure what to do on the Japanese and Korean sites.

I searched on Google once or twice, but I couldn't find anything particularly useful about Pangya in English, just a few people who posted messages asking for help on the Korean registration, and some articles about a World Cyber Games and how much the people there loathed Pangya.

I can give you a rundown on registering for the Japanese version.

You can download the client here. It's about 90 megs, but you'll have to download about 100 megs of patches after it's done.

When you're ready to register, go here.

Note that you can no longer choose your own password when registering. I'm assuming this is because of issues with people losing their password, or something.

1. License agreement. Click the bottom left button ("I Agree").

2. You'll be sent to the registration page.

* You need to confirm whether the user ID and nickname that you want are already in use. At the top of the registration page, click the emoticon of the hand with the speech bubble that says "ID - NICKNAME CHECKER!" in Japanese. A window will open. The first field is to check for user ID and the second is to check for nickname.

The fields on the registration page are as follows:

a. USER ID - This will be your log-in name. 4 - 16 letters in ascii. Must be lowercase.

b. NICKNAME - This is your in-game nickname that everybody else will see. You cannot change it once you've registered. 8 - 16 2-byte Kanji letters. You can use Pangya's emoticons in your nick, but it's preferable that you use English letters only, to make it easier for English speakers to type your name in.

c. MAIL ADDRESS - Type in your e-mail address here. It needs to be a proper e-mail address so they can send you the confirmation e-mail (which also now contains a generated password that I think you can change by logging into the site later).

d. MAIL ADDRESS CONFIRMATION - Type in the e-mail address again.

e. GENDER - Your registered gender determines whether you start off with the default boy or girl character. The website's faq claims that male characters have more power and less control while female characters have more control and less power. The first button is male, second is female.

f. BIRTHDATE - As far as I know, this doesn't affect anything. First two drop-down menus are the last two years, third is month and the fourth is day.

g. PLACE OF RESIDENCE - A drop down menu filled with prefectures of Japan. I don't think this is important if you live outside of Japan, so just choose anything.

h. OCCUPATION - I don't think this is important either. Just in case you want to be accurate, the options are as follows: "please select one", "company employee", "company manager", "government worker", "independent businessperson", "professional", "part-time worker", "house-wife", "university student or junior college student", "vocational school student", "senior high-school student", "junior high-school student", "grade school student or less", "other student", and "other".

i. NOTIFICATIONS - Off or On. I turned this off, but I guess they send news and updates to your e-mail address if it's on.

3. After registration is complete, I believe it lists all of your details and asks you if you want to confirm. Yes is always the bottom left button, and No is the bottom right. Click Yes if you're ready, and an e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you specified.

4 .Once you receive the e-mail, read it to get your password and, if it's still the same as before, a URL to a final confirmation page.

5. The final confirmation page asks you some questions like what your mobile/cell phone company is (I selected "none", I don't remember if it's in English or not), what your internet service provider is (I selected the only Japanese option, which is "other"), and whether you've played other online games (Ragnarok Online, Lineage, etc... these are all checkboxes). The final confirmation page used to ask you if you wanted to receive notifications, but that's been moved to the initial registration, so I don't know what is actually on the confirmation page anymore.

When you're done, click the confirmation button (I think there is only one) and it should send you to a final page that tells you not to forget your password, and voila - registration should be complete.

Moo
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Pangya Players?" , posted Sat 26 Feb 19:47:post reply

Here are some tips on the basic interface once you've installed the client:

* In case you ever need to know, Pangya is run with update.exe, not ProjectG.exe. Also, all Japanese language text seems to be inside japan.dat.

1. On start-up, Pangya will always open up the updater. Initially, it sometimes scans your current files and then downloads updates if the CRCs do not match the latest versions. The buttons on the updater are, from left to right:

a. Configuration - Some simple settings. There are a lot more inside the game.
b. Report Problem - If you have problems running the game, I assume.
c. Confirm Patch - Scans over the files, requires the updater to be closed and re-run.
d. Safe Mode - Resets all video and sound settings and starts up Pangya.
e. Play - Starts up Pangya.
f. Cancel - Closes the updater.

* When the patches have finished downloading, the updater will sometimes display a message telling you to restart the updater.

2. Click play, and the game will boot up. You'll find yourself at a log-in screen. The game also auto-detects your video card here, and sets the in-game detail settings based on your video card. The first field is ID, second is password. The checkbox is to remember your ID or not. Buttons on the right are, from top to bottom, log-in, cancel, or go to the Pangya home page. Note that ID can be written in uppercase here but I think the password must be lowercase.

3. You'll be sent to a server select screen. The servers are set up and named like this:

[Pangya Island] [Pangya Beach]
[Pangya Forest] [Pangya City]
[Pangya Town] [Pangya Moonlit Night]
[Pangya Sky] [Pangya Hill]
[Pangya Cloud] [Pangya Wind]

Forgive me if my translations are incorrect, my Japanese is only so-so.

The bars indicate how full the server is. They are usually populated in order of left to right, top to bottom. Red means that it's full.

Click a server and the game will try to connect to it.

== LOBBY ==

Once on a server, you'll receive an in-game news image and find yourself in the "lobby". Note that your server name is written at the top left of the screen.

The icons in the lobby are as follows:

a. Practice mode (stairs with an upwards arrow)
b. Competition mode (VS icon)
c. Tournament mode (tournament bracket)
d. Family mode (red, green and blue heads)
e. Chat Room (three blue heads with a speech bubble, seems to be grayed out for me)
f. Announcements (red loudspeaker)
g. Configuration (hammer on notes)
h. Server select (two houses with an arrow from one into the other)

...and, in the bottom right corner,

i. End game

== PRACTICE MODE ==

Click this and another window appears with the options "Practice with caddy" and "Practice by yourself".

*** Note that Pang Points you receive in Practice Mode DO NOT COUNT ***

a. Practice with caddy

*** If you go through the entire tutorial without skipping or Bogeying on the last part, you will be rewarded with a free caddy, "Ponta", the flying cat bag, which adds +1 to your Control stat ***

*** Note that once you get the free caddy, you may have to select it to use it ***

You're given a tutorial on the very basic features of the game. Pipin, one of the caddies in the game, will be your guide.

When you finish each section of the tutorial, a window will appear with two buttons. The bottom left is "Try again" and the bottom right is "Next".

There is also a "Skip" button that, when you are given control, will appear in a window on the top right corner of the screen. Do NOT use the skip button if you want the free caddy.

1. Camera Operation
Explains basic camera operation.

Use the cursor keys and/or shift+cursor keys to move the camera so that the center of the camera focuses on the rotating yellow triangles. The game explains each of the areas you move to, which, if you're not familiar with golf, you can also read about on the English website's manual.

2. Club Operation
Explains the clubs, the top viewer camera, and the drop point viewer camera.

You can change clubs using many different methods: shift+left/right cursor keys, pgup/pgdown, and the mouse wheel. There may be more, but if you really want to know, visit the English website's manual, which I believe lists all of the keys.

To use the top viewer camera, push 0 on the keyboard or the right mouse button. For the drop point viewer camera, push 1 on the keyboard. When using the top viewer camera, you can use the left mouse button to select a point to shoot to, and the game will automatically adjust the club and direction for you.

To continue the tutorial, adjust the club and direction so that the indicator appears as close to the yellow triangle as possible.

3. Hitting Method
Explains the shot interface. If you've ever played a golf game before, it's pretty much the same thing as always.

If not, basically what you do is push the space bar on the keyboard or use the mouse to left click the "Start" button on the interface to start the indicator. The indicator will move from left to right and back again. Push space bar or left click again to select your desired hitting strength as the indicator passes over that point.

Note that if you don't get the strength you want, you can let the indicator go back to the start and it will reset, allowing you to try again.

Once you get the strength you want, you must then push space bar or left click once more, when the indicator is on the pink area, generally most preferably on the white line. Clicking on the white line will produce a Pangya shot, which, amongst many other things, ensures the full desired strength, high accuracy, and greatly increases the amount of power you store for a power shot.

If you miss the white line and end up on the pink area, the strength of the shot will be reduced (how much depends on how far from the white line it is, I think), and the ball will veer to one side (depending on whether you are to the left or right of the white line) during the course of the shot (which can be useful for curving around obstacles).

Try out a shot to proceed.

*** You may have to get the ball in the 100 circle to get the free caddy. ***

4. Terrain Effect
Explains the effects of shooting from a bunker.

When shooting the ball from some terrain, the strength of your shot may be reduced. In this instance, it is reduced to 85%. Also note that when the ball is tilted, it can slightly affect the direction of your shot, and prevent you from using stronger clubs. For more detail on terrain, visit the English website.

*** You may have to get the ball in the 80 circle to get the free caddy. ***

5. Green Inclination
Explains basic putting details.

Note that the dots do not represent the line that the ball will follow. The dots represent the axis of each tile. For example, if the dot is to the left of the tile, then the tile is tilted to the left. The further to the left the dot, the more tilted to the left the tile is.

Putting well requires practice. Putt the ball into the hole to proceed.

*** You may have to get the ball in the hole to get the free caddy. ***

6. Score Calculation
Explains how the scoring works.

If you're not familiar with golf, I'll explain the scoring here briefly. Note that at the top left of the screen, the word "Par" is written, followed by a number. To get Par, you must get the ball into the hole by that number of turns. If you can do it one turn beforehand, it is called a Birdie, and you will receive -1 point. Two turns beforehand is an Eagle, and -2 points. Three turns is an Albatross, for -3 points. If you fail to make Par, it is called a Bogey, and is +1 point.

The person to get the ball in with the least number of shots, hence, the person with the least points, wins.
In the case of both players getting the same score, the game will decide the winner by their Pang Points.

You receive Pang Points from good plays, such as hitting the ball into the hole from a long distance, or hitting the ball close to the hole, among many other things. Note that you can also lose Pang Points from Bogeys.

*** To get the free caddy, you must not Bogey on this final section of the tutorial. ***

b. Practice by yourself
Not much to say here. You just play by yourself for 18 holes of the easiest course, Blue Lagoon. Again, note that Pang Points you receive from playing by yourself DO NOT COUNT.

That should get you started, hope it helps. More to come later if I ever get around to it, or if you really need it.

[this message was edited by Moo on Sat 26 Feb 21:25]

Mav
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Pangya Players?" , posted Sun 27 Feb 07:40post reply

Big thanks, Moo. I've been confused for a while on a few things. All the Japanese players I saw had that CatBag and I was wondering why it wasn't available to purchase.

You can use the ice to get free overdrive, making 3-hole WhiteWiz runs fairly lucrative. (Go for the lakes from the tees on the first two holes) It seems like you cannot get overdrive on ice rivers, but you can on lakes. Adding some topspin to the ball (grab the marker over the ball in the corner and pull up) also helps with overdrive.

Couple more questions for those in the know.
Anyone know about some of the special shots I see mentioned, like tomahawk shot?
And, what does the necklace do that says I couldn't wear it until I reached RookieA rank? I reached it recently and can't really tell.
Also, anyone want to hit the links? I've got several friends involved, but maybe we could scrape enough together a tournament.

Moo
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Pangya Players?" , posted Sun 27 Feb 08:29post reply

quote:

Anyone know about some of the special shots I see mentioned, like tomahawk shot?

Check out the tips website in my first reply to this thread, they explain how to do it.
Alternatively, you can also try here or here.

quote:

And, what does the necklace do that says I couldn't wear it until I reached RookieA rank? I reached it recently and can't really tell.

It seems to automatically increase the size of the pink area while you are a Rookie.