Tekken question - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3148 Views )

Megane
384th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"Tekken question" , posted Tue 15 Feb 18:30post reply

It looks (to me at least, uninitiated as I am in Tekken knowledge) like Tekken V is well received, in comparison to its predecessor. What made this one better?

Replies:

Shin_ATproof
1144th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Tekken question" , posted Tue 15 Feb 21:34post reply

quote:
It looks (to me at least, uninitiated as I am in Tekken knowledge) like Tekken V is well received, in comparison to its predecessor. What made this one better?

The gameplay is more like "classic" Tekken(3ish or TTTish) instead of trying to be different(T4), larger stages with leveled playing field, the game is faster, they toned down Jin, lots of characters to choose, and extras like the option to personalize your character name and outfit.
Namco's Arcade team behind T5 seems to have taken into account comments by the fans on what they liked and didn't like when T4 came out...so by listening to the gamers and taking lots of time work on the game we got this awesome fighter that even the most critical Tekkenhead can't help but love.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Shyeim
231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Tekken question" , posted Tue 15 Feb 23:43:post reply

quote:

Tekken 4(Worst game in the serie) flopped in Korean&Japanese arcade, so Namco listened to arcade players around the world and fixed all the bad thing in Tekken 4.

So they went back to T3/TTT juggle system and put Sidestepcancel/Backdashcancel back in T5(for better spacing option). Also Crush system(High Crush/Low Crush) is more universal in Tekken 5 etc...

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Tue 15 Feb 23:50]

Ishmael
1830th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Tekken question" , posted Tue 15 Feb 23:56post reply

quote:
The gameplay is more like "classic" Tekken(3ish or TTTish) instead of trying to be different(T4),

It's not that change is necessarily bad but a number of the new game features in T4 weren't particularly well implemented. It was an interesting attempt but until they figure out how to pull off uneven playing surfaces and whatnot without making the whole thing wonky it's probably just as well to leave it out.

ShinATproof did a good job covering why T5 has been so well received; it's a game with very good presentation that sticks with a proven game engine. That, and this is the first Tekken to feature three generations of screaming Mishima men duking it out, which makes the most dysfunctional family in fighting games even funnier. Okay, there's four generations if you count Jin but he's trying to be nice guy or something silly like that.

Iggy
5797th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Tekken question" , posted Wed 16 Feb 00:01post reply

quote:
That, and this is the first Tekken to feature three generations of screaming Mishima men

And Roger Junior.
If there was one thing to remember in 10 years of Tekken, it would be Roger Junior.

Isn't Heihachi dead for good? I don't think he's supposed to come back even in the PS2 version... (until Tekken 6).

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Shyeim
232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Famitsu presents Tekken 5: Japan vs Korea" , posted Wed 16 Feb 00:05:post reply

Anyways, Tarechichi A.K.A. Kenbou, is visiting Korea this 17~20, and he is sponsored by the Japanese monthly(?) game magazine "Famitsu".

He will first have a small tournament with 4~8 ppl, including himself. The confirmed participants are MDJ, NiN, Knee, and Leedy. (These players were the best 4 from the Korean National tournament 2004. NiN and Knee ending up both in 3rd place as a tie.)

Hopefully Holeman, one of the best players in Korea currently will participate in the tourny, and other famous players.

Next, he will play a 1 vs 50, which obviously means going against 50 other players of Korea.

Last, he will visit famous arcades in Korea.

Don't ask for the vids, because I don't know what's going to happen. Famitsu said that they would make the highlights from the visit into a DVD, and the tournament participants would get one each; maybe that meaning no vids are to be released without Famitsu's permission.

I'm going to watch Japan vs Korea, because it will be held in Seoul(Green&Jeongin Arcade).

Thx to Famitsu&Tekkencentral for the news and Teroline for translation.

Iggy

Heihachi&Random Box were released yesterday in Japanese&Korean Arcade.

Heihachi pics from Japanese arcade

http://members.aol.com/kurichan21/tekken/h1.jpg

http://members.aol.com/kurichan21/tekken/h2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/kurichan21/tekken/h3.jpg

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Wed 16 Feb 00:19]

Ishmael
1831th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Famitsu presents Tekken 5: Japan vs Kor" , posted Wed 16 Feb 00:31post reply

It's great that Heihachi was at ground zero of an explosion that leveled a building and all it did was piss him off. I can only dream of being as huge and angry as Heihachi is when I hit my seventies.

Incredibly, Tekkenzaibatsu already has Heihachi's customization items listed.

Mog
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 01:10:post reply

It's a bit early to be asking this, but how balanced is the game overall at this point? Aside from Jin, I haven't heard anything about how the characters stack up against one another.

quote:

Damnit!

edit: original was muddled

[this message was edited by Mog on Wed 16 Feb 01:16]

KTallguy
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Famitsu presents Tekken 5: Japan vs Kor" , posted Wed 16 Feb 02:28post reply

quote:

Hold on... isn't the first thing you see when you start the game 'Heihachi Mishima is Dead'? =P

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Iggy
5801th Post

"Re(1):Famitsu presents Tekken 5: Japan vs Kor" , posted Wed 16 Feb 03:09post reply

quote:

Hooray !
I am definitely going to start playing Tekken.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Shyeim
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 03:43:post reply

quote:
It's a bit early to be asking this, but how balanced is the game overall at this point? Aside from Jin, I haven't heard anything about how the characters stack up against one another.

Current tier list in Korea(Only matters in high-level play).

Rank S

Bryan, Steve, Feng, Raven, Law, Nina

Rank A

Hwoarang, Julia, Kazuya, Wang, Xiaoyu, Bruce, Christie/Eddy

Rank B

King, Jin, Marduk, Asuka, Ganryu, Devil Jin, Roger Jr., Yoshimitsu, Paul, Lee, Baek

Rank C

Jack-5, Anna, Lei, Kuma/Panda

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Wed 16 Feb 03:46]

NARUTO
2914th Post

"Re(2):Famitsu presents Tekken 5: Japan vs Kor" , posted Wed 16 Feb 04:40post reply

quote:
Hooray !
I am definitely going to start playing Tekken.

strangely I can't belive you....

There is two infinite things in the world.
Universe and Human stupidity...Well for the universe I'm not sure....

Maou
482th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 04:43post reply

Hooray, non-terrible terrain! Also, the old outfits can't hurt either. I remember trying to explain to new players of Tekken 4 that Paul was actually supposed to look COOL and whatnot...it just wasn't happening with that non-mowhawk outfit.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iron D
2605th Post

"Re(3):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 06:52post reply

I don't think I can explain T5's better reception any better than those that already explained it, but I can say that I still think T4 deservers more credit than it's given.

It's funny. At about the time of T3, and even more so in TTT, people were starting to bash the series because the games weren't different enough and did little to innovate. Then T4 comes along and it gets blasted for its attempts to innovate. Then comes T5, which is more like Tekken was when it "needed something new" (apparently tag teaming wasn't different enough) and people are loving it.

Now, I'm not saying anything bad about T5. It rocks. I just find this situation...funny. In an odd sort of way. It reminds of the "Itch, Scratchy, and Poochie" episode of The Simpsons.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Maou
484th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 07:13post reply

True, Tekken 4 may not be that bad as a game itself, but I think the lack of pumping Tekken 3 music and general sluggishness (compared to speedy Tekken 3, and made worse by the oddly uneven arenas) turned people off. And the costumes were bad. Not that Tekken 4 shouldn't have been innovative, but innovation just shouldn't have been so...sluggish. Maybe if they'd had a block button and a viable way to jump, like Soul Calibur. But I think Tekken 5 sounds like it'll be a good mix.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Shyeim
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 07:15:post reply

quote:
I don't think I can explain T5's better reception any better than those that already explained it, but I can say that I still think T4 deservers more credit than it's given.

It's funny. At about the time of T3, and even more so in TTT, people were starting to bash the series because the games weren't different enough and did little to innovate. Then T4 comes along and it gets blasted for its attempts to innovate. Then comes T5, which is more like Tekken was when it "needed something new" (apparently tag teaming wasn't different enough) and people are loving it.

Do you know the flaws in Tekken 4(gameplay aspect)?

If you know it, then list it for me.

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Wed 16 Feb 07:18]

KTallguy
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 12:10post reply

quote:

Jin? =P

Actually, I wanted to ask what people think about the lack of wall teching in T5. I mean, isn't that what is making all these wall infinites possible? Aren't all the infinites based on walls? So we should only see wall-less tournaments?

I always see people get killed much faster in walled stages anyway... without walls you have somewhere to run...it seems.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Spoon
772th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 13:00post reply

Shyeim, what's the word on arena selection in Korea? Are players preferring T3/TTT unlimited size arenas, or are they fine with the walled arenas and random select?

How are the infinites and 100%'s being taken to in Korea? Do the players just agree not to use the Raven and Kazuya infinites? What about the Steve 3,1,1 which is actually useful normally, but gives you like a billion frames (I think you have almost enough time to do f+1+2 Heartbreak Shot on them...) to do whatever the hell you want to your opponent if you get the special stun? Is there any consensus on what you should/not be allowed to do if you actually manage to land that perfect 3,1,1?

hikarutilmitt
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Famitsu presents Tekken 5: Japan vs Kor" , posted Wed 16 Feb 18:16post reply

quote:

Hold on... isn't the first thing you see when you start the game 'Heihachi Mishima is Dead'? =P

That's more Raven saying that in the opening, simply assuming that the big freakin' explosion killed him. I mean, if they just flat out offed the series constantly "main" character it'd be detrimental in some ways.

Shyeim
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 16 Feb 20:43:post reply

quote:
Shyeim, what's the word on arena selection in Korea? Are players preferring T3/TTT unlimited size arenas, or are they fine with the walled arenas and random select?

All tournaments in Korea use random select.

quote:
How are the infinites and 100%'s being taken to in Korea? Do the players just agree not to use the Raven and Kazuya infinites? What about the Steve 3,1,1 which is actually useful normally, but gives you like a billion frames (I think you have almost enough time to do f+1+2 Heartbreak Shot on them...) to do whatever the hell you want to your opponent if you get the special stun? Is there any consensus on what you should/not be allowed to do if you actually manage to land that perfect 3,1,1?

Situational infis are allowed(which is impossible to land).

Steve infi is situational, but you can do it without wall. You can only perform it against sideturned opponent with perfect angle.

Sideturned opponent hold>[3],1.1~F into weaving 1,2,1,2 etc.

Same goes to Raven situational infi.

after any wall stun...ss, (4~3),3, ss, (4~3),3...

you have to do a half sidestep to make the 4~3 whiff, but the last ,3 will hit, creating yet another wall stun over and over.

Never heard about Kazuya infi???

Do you know notation?

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Wed 16 Feb 20:47]

Spoon
775th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):Character Balance?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 03:45post reply

quote:
Do you know notation?

Just enough to get by when people are telling me stuff, but I'm afraid of screwing it up so I use words instead.

Yeah, that sideturned [3],1,1~F seems impossible to land on a live opponent... but then again, I suck so who am I to talk :)

Iron D
2606th Post

"Re(5):Character Balance?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 07:55post reply

quote:

Pretty much what people here have said so far. The uneven arenas don't work too well in some situations, Jin is overpowered, walls are too abusable, and I guess that combo freaks don't like the feel of T4's juggle system.

Again, none of this bothered me in the slightest, seeing as how I mostly play single player anyway...

Zelkin. Pimped.

Krzyzewski Man
1038th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Character Balance?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 11:00post reply

quote:
Pretty much what people here have said so far. The uneven arenas don't work too well in some situations, Jin is overpowered, walls are too abusable, and I guess that combo freaks don't like the feel of T4's juggle system.

Again, none of this bothered me in the slightest, seeing as how I mostly play single player anyway...

There are some other things - the OTG system is supposedly ridiculously stupid, allowing guys like Paul and Heihachi to hit you like 8 times before you can get up, if you ever do. Not only is Jin overpowered, Steve and Nina are retarded good (read: they can practically mash and win half the time). It's just poorly done.

Krzyzewski Man:
Lowering the tone since 1985.

Iron D
2607th Post

"Re(7):Character Balance?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 13:09post reply

quote:
Not only is Jin overpowered, Steve and Nina are retarded good (read: they can practically mash and win half the time). It's just poorly done.

Well, believe it or not I haven't seen much Steve gameplay, and this is actually the first time I've heard of him being too powerful. Nina, however, has pretty much always been top tier in the Tekken games.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Krzyzewski Man
1040th Post

"Re(8):Character Balance?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 13:42post reply

quote:
Well, believe it or not I haven't seen much Steve gameplay, and this is actually the first time I've heard of him being too powerful. Nina, however, has pretty much always been top tier in the Tekken games.

Steve's been grindin' it up in Korea. And yeah, Nina is always at least mid (like Akuma and Terry, I guess)

Krzyzewski Man:

KTallguy
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Character Balance?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 20:26:post reply

Someone told me that Nina was the most overpowered character in T5 but ... I don't know exactly why. Is this true? What's the word in Korea?

Edit: And why is my character, Lei, always bottom tier =(

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Thu 17 Feb 20:27]

Krzyzewski Man
1041th Post

"Re(10):Character Balance?" , posted Fri 18 Feb 01:33post reply

quote:
Someone told me that Nina was the most overpowered character in T5 but ... I don't know exactly why. Is this true? What's the word in Korea?

Nope, probably Steve. High damage off of most of his stuff, fast mids, priority, just about all the tools you'd want.

quote:

They've been slowing down his stance changes recently, I think, and he never does seem to get any good moves.

Krzyzewski Man:

Iron D
2608th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Character Balance?" , posted Fri 18 Feb 06:48post reply

quote:

Nope, probably Steve. High damage off of most of his stuff, fast mids, priority, just about all the tools you'd want.

They've been slowing down his stance changes recently, I think, and he never does seem to get any good moves.

Nina has all those things too. High priority, quick, but damaging moves...and incredible juggling capability.

As for Lei, he lacks alot of these things. The stance changing is good for mind games, but they are slow and leave you open. He doesn't have much of a pecking game either. This does not include T5 however, because I don't know what changes have been made to him for this game.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Megane
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Character Balance?" , posted Fri 18 Feb 12:47post reply

quote:

As for Lei, he lacks alot of these things. The stance changing is good for mind games, but they are slow and leave you open. He doesn't have much of a pecking game either. This does not include T5 however, because I don't know what changes have been made to him for this game.

Lei's bottom even in Tag?

Iggy
5826th Post

"PS2 movie 2nd part" , posted Fri 18 Feb 17:58:post reply

here

Roger Jr & Panda & Kuma MOEEEEEE.
But mostly Roger Jr.
Too bad there are other characters than those 3 ones.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

[this message was edited by Iggy on Fri 18 Feb 18:12]

Gojira
1630th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):PS2 movie 2nd part" , posted Fri 18 Feb 19:36post reply

quote:
here

Roger Jr & Panda & Kuma MOEEEEEE.
But mostly Roger Jr.
Too bad there are other characters than those 3 ones.

Tree-huggers are going to hate Feng for that one. Kill your old men without ruining the environment you scoundrel

Off with your nose

Iggy
5828th Post

"Re(2):PS2 movie 2nd part" , posted Fri 18 Feb 19:57post reply

Heihachi fukkatsu.
The explosion could have killed anyone, but Heihachi is not anyone so he didn't die. A month later, he hears the Mishima foundation is under the control of someone else, and it really, really pisses him off. "I won't let the foundation to anyone".
He is so angry he recovers from his wounds in no time and is now ready to join the tournament.

髭爺燃え。

Moi : Oui bien sûr mais pourrions nous quitter le milieu de la route et discuter de cela sur le trottoir?
Amaterasu : Oh ils n'oseront pas. Je suis dans mon droit.
Moi : Vous savez je préfère avoir tord et rester en vie.
Amaterasu : Ah ? Pas moi.

Shyeim
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Character Balance?" , posted Sat 19 Feb 08:24:post reply

quote:

If you enjoy Tekken 4 as a single player, then I have nothing to say...

quote:
There are some other things - the OTG system is supposedly ridiculously stupid, allowing guys like Paul and Heihachi to hit you like 8 times before you can get up, if you ever do. Not only is Jin overpowered, Steve and Nina are retarded good (read: they can practically mash and win half the time). It's just poorly done.

2 hits is max. for d+1 from Heihachi and Paul. Unless you roll or do nothing.

quote:

US ranks Nina very high, because she has strong oki follow up(which extends her juggle after oki), but Nina is overrated in US.

quote:

Yeah, I want T3/TTT Lei back.

Everyone is improved in Tekken 5 except Lei. All his juggle does little damage(even on default damage) and most launcher needs stance change. Also his important haha step is mediocre in Tekken 5.

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Sat 19 Feb 08:29]

Iron D
2609th Post

"Re(8):Character Balance?" , posted Sat 19 Feb 13:15post reply

quote:

If you enjoy Tekken 4 as a single player, then I have nothing to say...

Good.

Zelkin. Pimped.

kyo717
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Character Balance?" , posted Mon 21 Feb 20:14post reply

Shyeim: Assuming heihachi is released in Korea, is he banned? you probably heard of the infamous 2,2,1+2.

shyeim
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Character Balance?" , posted Wed 23 Feb 04:29post reply

quote:
Shyeim: Assuming heihachi is released in Korea, is he banned? you probably heard of the infamous 2,2,1+2.

LOL Why ban Heihachi???

Heihachi is top-tier, but banning him is rediculous. See him as new Bryan.

kyo717
144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Character Balance?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 11:24:post reply

Japan has already banned him from tournaments, such as SBO. The Japanese version of Tekken 5 on PS2 will be patched to balance this.

I'm not sure where the U.S. Tekken scene stands on this subject.

From what I've read, suppostly 2,2,1+2 is a 10 frame attack, does 40% dmg, and is unpunishable after block. f,f+2 is guaranted afterwards, so if you "quick get up," you get launched for an air juggle risking another 40% dmg for 80% dmg total.

edit: Oh yea, suppostly also normal hit have counter hit properties. Sort of like a auto-couter hit property.

[this message was edited by kyo717 on Fri 25 Feb 11:29]

Burning Kyo
2260th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Character Balance?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 20:45post reply

Do you know if Korea will have a specific version or it'll have the japanese version too ?
Does Namco will release a new arcade version with a less overpowered Heihachi ?

[Live fast // Die young]

Shyeim
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Character Balance?" , posted Fri 25 Feb 22:34:post reply

quote:
Japan has already banned him from tournaments, such as SBO. The Japanese version of Tekken 5 on PS2 will be patched to balance this.

I'm not sure where the U.S. Tekken scene stands on this subject.

From what I've read, suppostly 2,2,1+2 is a 10 frame attack, does 40% dmg, and is unpunishable after block. f,f+2 is guaranted afterwards, so if you "quick get up," you get launched for an air juggle risking another 40% dmg for 80% dmg total.

edit: Oh yea, suppostly also normal hit have counter hit properties. Sort of like a auto-couter hit property.

None of the tournaments in Japan banned Heihachi.

Only SBO banned him, because Heihachi time release was after SBO qualification.

I admit that Heihachi attack is a glitch and very damaging on default life, because 1+2 changes into counter hit after 2,2 which gives you free ff+2 or d+4(needs very fast execution).

If you didn't know Korea plays with +2 settings(120%) and most Japanese arcade does same.

Namco is releasing a revision/update for Arcade version, but they didn't say anything about Japanese console version.

Also US console version has no Ghost AI, but it will be included for Japanese version.

There is a Tekken.Net event in Japan, where you can recommend your Arcade Ghost data for console version.

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Sat 26 Feb 01:21]

Digitalboy
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Question about PS2 release" , posted Fri 25 Feb 23:28post reply

Is it worth to buy now or should I wait until it becomes a "Greatest Hits" line up? I am not a big Tekken fan but I will buy just about any fighting game. I am leaning more towards the KOF '94 Re-bout release than T5. What should I do?

kyo717
145th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Question about PS2 release" , posted Sat 26 Feb 00:21:post reply

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I read about the Japanese Tekken 5 thing somewhere on IGN's boards.

On another note, US version of Tekken 5 is offically out today. I'm picking up my copy after class today.

edit: Tekken 5 endings floating arounding the net. Just saw Heihachi's ending. Lol, that is one messed up family.

ftp://tekken:gaylord@maximi.mine.nu/videos/

[this message was edited by kyo717 on Sat 26 Feb 01:06]

Fuchikoma
1215th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Question about PS2 release" , posted Sat 26 Feb 01:26post reply

quote:
Is it worth to buy now or should I wait until it becomes a "Greatest Hits" line up? I am not a big Tekken fan but I will buy just about any fighting game. I am leaning more towards the KOF '94 Re-bout release than T5. What should I do?

Tekken 5 all the way... just sort of ignore that Tekken 4 ever happened. I have Re-bout and I stopped playing it after a day or two... the main problem is that the gameplay is identical to the original KOF 94... which wasn't exactly smooth back in it's day. Even though the sprites are high res, the animation is extremely choppy. I wouldn't bother with a rebout game until they get to around 96-97.

Tekken 5 on the other hand... I'm getting it today after class myself. Not only does it look incredible... they've listened to fans and refined the game engine... making the best Tekken so far.