Original message (3667 Views )

Iggy
5796th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Silent Hill movie" , posted Tue 15 Feb 18:20post reply

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4360
Oh, well. I like Christophe Gans.
On the other hand, I was still in high school when I saw Crying Freeman, so it doesn't mean much.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1060th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Silent Hill movie" , posted Tue 15 Feb 22:30post reply

quote:
On the other hand, I was still in high school when I saw Crying Freeman, so it doesn't mean much.

I'd really like them to explain if a normal Silent Hill town exists (with people living normal lives) alongside the abandoned ghost towns of the games. And if it's just a ghost town, what does the state or US government do? In other words, news of a genuine ghost town would not go unnoticed.

Cool thing: Cybil!

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Just a Person
702th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Silent Hill movie" , posted Tue 15 Feb 23:53post reply

quote:

I have already seen this script. It looks uncreative, yet interesting. I mean, a mother that loses a daughter in SH sounds extremely familiar to the story of Harry and Cheryl; on the other hand, it could be a parallel story, happening at the same time Harry loses Cheryl. Maybe it could explain after all what was that phone call Cybil receives at the beginning of the game about, and other things.

quote:
I'd really like them to explain if a normal Silent Hill town exists (with people living normal lives) alongside the abandoned ghost towns of the games. And if it's just a ghost town, what does the state or US government do? In other words, news of a genuine ghost town would not go unnoticed.

I don't know... I think there was a normal Silent Hill once. Then Dahlia's plan began, Alessa probably created all those demons to defend herself from Dahlia and they killed all the inhabitants. About the government, we don't know if the people who managed to get out of Silent Hill (Harry, Henry, Douglas, Heather, maybe James and Laura...) ever told someone about it (would anyone believe them?).

quote:
Cool thing: Cybil!

I 100% agree!!

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Iggy
5798th Post

"Re(3):Silent Hill movie" , posted Wed 16 Feb 00:08post reply

quote:
It looks uncreative, yet interesting.

This kind of uncreativity is still better than the creativity in the Doom movie.

Plus, it doesn't involves Uwe Boll.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Red Falcon
5381th Post

"Re(2):Silent Hill movie" , posted Wed 16 Feb 01:42:post reply

quote:
And if it's just a ghost town, what does the state or US government do? In other words, news of a genuine ghost town would not go unnoticed.

There are plenty of real "ghost towns" which are either ignored or have the roads to them simply blocked off (Centralia comes to mind)
Edit: And yes, at LEAST it seems to have SOMETHING to do with the actual games, as opposed to half of video game movies out there. Hopefully somebody will assassinate Uwe Boll before he spreads his evil again!

Best site EVER: Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Wed 16 Feb 01:44]

ONSLAUGHT
3264th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Feb 01:45post reply

quote:

There are plenty of real "ghost towns" which are either ignored or have the roads to them simply blocked off (Centralia comes to mind)

Besides, I think Silent Hill is a perfectly normal town (besides the cult and the drug dealing), what we see in the games, is just the way the characters see the town, remember that they're there to pay for their sins, in their own personal little hell.

Undead Fred
2124th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Feb 03:57post reply

quote:
This kind of uncreativity is still better than the creativity in the Doom movie.

Plus, it doesn't involve Uwe Boll.

YES. I know the story sounds a little close to Silent Hill 1 even without Cybil, but I'm still happy to hear the director and writers have at least SOME respect for their source material, which is very rare with video game movies. I'm looking forward to the Silent Hill movie, and I'm glad the people behind the movie not only SAY they like the game, but seem to ACTUALLY like the game as well.
quote:

Besides, I think Silent Hill is a perfectly normal town (besides the cult and the drug dealing), what we see in the games, is just the way the characters see the town, remember that they're there to pay for their sins, in their own personal little hell.

I agree with Onslaught- this is how I assumed the town was... what we see in the games isn't real. That's not to say they're walking around wherever they live screaming and batting at imaginary dogs and stuff in the real world, but I'm convinced it's all an illusion. I'm sure they're really there in Silent Hill NIGHTMARE LAND or whatever, but it's kind of in its own world. Who knows.

JLG
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Feb 12:01post reply

quote:
I agree with Onslaught- this is how I assumed the town was... what we see in the games isn't real. That's not to say they're walking around wherever they live screaming and batting at imaginary dogs and stuff in the real world, but I'm convinced it's all an illusion. I'm sure they're really there in Silent Hill NIGHTMARE LAND or whatever, but it's kind of in its own world. Who knows.

I think SH4 mentioned this early on - "It exists in a space separate from the world of our Lord. More accurately, it is within, yet without the Lord's world." There's the abandoned "Real World" town, and then there's the Otherworld, an imitation world where things are screwed around with. Philip K. Dick wrote about a Middle Age idea that Satan was the "Ape of God" that could create a counterfeit reality to fool people (incidentally, Dick wrote a very Silent Hill-ish book The Cosmic Puppets.)

Anyway, the movie sounds like it's on the right track. It doesn't seem like it's going to be like the Mary-Sue-fanfic Resident Evil movies or Uwe Boll-type hackery. I'm not quite sold on Gans, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The comic on the other hand... "Painter and semi-professional slacker Ike finds his dark muse in the mist-enshrouded, monster-infested reaches of Silent Hill. Then the sexy, survivalist-trained, gun-toting cheerleader Cheryl and her teammates arrive to rock his world. Creatures attack, cheerleaders disappear, and the gloves come off! Will anything survive?" Wow, that sounds terribly like a cheesy B-movie. I haven't been too impressed with the IDW comic books, but I've been a dope supporting it. Could that Cheryl be the same Cheryl we know?

ONSLAUGHT
3268th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Feb 12:25post reply

quote:

I think SH4 mentioned this early on

I always thought the characters were in some kind of dimensional flux, because I really doubt a little kid like Laura could survive in that hellish town more than 2 minutes if it was monster infested...
What about Eddie? or Cybil?
Silent Hill seems to be a portal between some kind of purgatory and earth. Now, it just ocurred to me, that it might be a purgatory for demons too, since Samael seems to be destined to die at the hands of Harry Mason. Just think what sweet punishment would be to lead some demon to believe he's pulling the strings, then believing he's going to reborn then dying in agony as his dreams get shattered by a mere mortal.
Or the demon might just by an appendage of Harry's punishment, a mere tool to deliver all the shit that happens to him.
SH 2 cements my theory a little bit more, since there are no demons to fight, it's just you and your sins. One of the endings made me realize that even when you escape your responsibilities, they will be back to haunt you and to cause you more suffering; I'm talking about the ending where Maria stays with Harry and starts coughing, the cycle just started again. He might have gotten away with his sins once, but I don't think he'll make it twice.

And Silent Hill 3 made no sense.

Damn this fever...

JLG
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 16 Feb 16:48post reply

quote:

I always thought the characters were in some kind of dimensional flux, because I really doubt a little kid like Laura could survive in that hellish town more than 2 minutes if it was monster infested...
What about Eddie? or Cybil?
Silent Hill seems to be a portal between some kind of purgatory and earth.

As Undead Fred mentioned, the town feeds off of guilt and sin and generates things from that. Laura, being an innocent kid, has nothing really for the town to punish her for. As for Eddie, the town exploits his taste for vengeance by generating targets for him to shoot at, leading up to the face-off with James. But since reality is so tenuous in Silent Hill, it's hard to place where exactly it is - it's between the real world and Samael's realm. Places like "Nowhere" in SH1 and the auto-generating maze in SH2 are these unreal realms constructed outside of reality, yet made with stuff from Earth.

quote:
Now, it just ocurred to me, that it might be a purgatory for demons too, since Samael seems to be destined to die at the hands of Harry Mason. Just think what sweet punishment would be to lead some demon to believe he's pulling the strings, then believing he's going to reborn then dying in agony as his dreams get shattered by a mere mortal.

The guy who writes the strategy guides for the Silent Hill games came up with a clever theory on the first Silent Hill game: it's a never-ending cycle that only really ends when you shut off the game.

quote:
Or the demon might just by an appendage of Harry's punishment, a mere tool to deliver all the shit that happens to him.
SH 2 cements my theory a little bit more, since there are no demons to fight, it's just you and your sins. One of the endings made me realize that even when you escape your responsibilities, they will be back to haunt you and to cause you more suffering; I'm talking about the ending where Maria stays with Harry and starts coughing, the cycle just started again. He might have gotten away with his sins once, but I don't think he'll make it twice.

Since the plot to crossover into the Earthly realm failed, Samael has to work with the domain he's got and feed from the poor schmucks to fall into the trap. But it does depend how you act within the game - sort of like how in various Twlight Zone episodes the sinister outside force may actually help out the subject, if he behaves in a way worthy of redemption. The happiest ending - where James gets over everything and leaves Silent Hill with Laura - happens if the game interpets James as sincerely looking for Mary. Similarly, in SH3, Douglas gets a second chance to help redeem a wayward child. Just like God, the town can work in mysterious ways.

quote:

And Silent Hill 3 made no sense.

Hmmm... I'd tackle that, but I don't think anyone could stand me going all out on the SH series again.

Burning Ranger
1062th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Thu 17 Feb 00:20post reply

quote:
I haven't been too impressed with the IDW comic books, but I've been a dope supporting it.

At least 30 Days of Night is badass.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Iggy
5803th Post

"Hagué summon" , posted Thu 17 Feb 00:52post reply

It worked on 2ch, there is no reason it doesn't work here.

Hagué sensei, tell us again the wonderful story of Samael!

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Nate
440th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Hagué summon" , posted Thu 17 Feb 02:53post reply

quote:
It worked on 2ch, there is no reason it doesn't work here.

Hagué sensei, tell us again the wonderful story of Samael!

I was actually thinking the same thing. I figured eventually a thread like this mentioning SH's plot would get Hagued.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

ONSLAUGHT
3270th Post

"NO!" , posted Thu 17 Feb 03:00post reply

quote:

I was actually thinking the same thing. I figured eventually a thread like this mentioning SH's plot would get Hagued.

Damn, then I better run away as fast as possible and don't look back.

But seriously, I think the creators of the game made it with the idea of being open to interpretation. My favorite ending was the Jacob's Ladder one. If that's the right ending, then the sequels never happened and Silent Hill is nothing but a touristic spot.

sabo10
1122th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):NO!" , posted Thu 17 Feb 03:07post reply

Ask me anything about Silent Hill 1, 2, or 3!

Iggy
5807th Post

"Yes... ?" , posted Thu 17 Feb 03:26post reply

quote:
Damn, then I better run away as fast as possible and don't look back.

Oh, I'm not summoning the Hagué to discuss the structure of the universe or anything, just to remind me the whole moronic ideas huge misunderstanding of some GameFAQs guys about Samael. He already explained it to me several times, but I keep forgetting.

Since I tend to remember pretty well things written on my blog this BBS, I'd like my summon to work, so keep quiet please.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Undead Fred
2134th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 21 Feb 21:16post reply

quote:
Silent Hill town stuff

Yeah, I remember the note in SH4 about the alternate world and all that, but since they more or less implied that someone who knew how could create their own, and since

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Walter

End of Spoiler

is responsible for the portals that Henry was heading into, I just assumed the alternate monster world in SH4 was unrelated to the ones in the previous games. I could see the other games being in an alternate dimension too, though... They're just coming up for different reasons, but they're all related to Silent Hill.

I agree with Onslaught, though. I have always liked how the games were open to interpretation. And yeah, I'm convinced that the first one is meant to have Harry caught in a loop... the way it ends, and the New Fear games begin make it feel like a recurring nightmare. Of course, this all had to be thrown out for SH3 to work...