Anime Recommendations - Part 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3420 Views )

Grahf
337th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Tue 8 Feb 15:44post reply

I did this same thread a few months ago, and it turned out to be very successful (for me), so I figured I'd try it again. Basically I'm just looking for a new anime series to watch, and I'd like to get some input from people here at the cafe. Since the last time I have watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, Gunslinger Girl and Shinkon Gattai Godannar.

I usually prefer comedy and action series, but I enjoy the occasional drama if it is exceptionally good. One guideline I have is that the series needs to be completed (in Japan at least). I just can't stand having to wait for new episodes every week which is the only reason I haven't started Samurai Champloo yet.

So let's hear it. What are some of your favorite and preferably new and/or obscure anime series that you would recommend?

Replies:

hikarutilmitt
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Tue 8 Feb 15:57post reply

Grenadier is good, and complete AFAIK.

That's the only complete and unlicensed show in Japan that I've managed to finish thus far. Well, that and Kannazuki no Miko, but I doubt it fits your description (despite being a good watch).

DarkZero
1089th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Tue 8 Feb 19:06post reply

quote:

That's the only complete and unlicensed show in Japan that I've managed to finish thus far. Well, that and Kannazuki no Miko, but I doubt it fits your description (despite being a good watch).

Maria-sama ga Miteru just finished recently. I only recommend it because it's a pretty off-beat show, so there's not necessarily anyone who will definitely like or not like the show. I'd recommend downloading two or three episodes and if you're not strangely engrossed in it by then, dump it.

If you haven't heard of it before, it's a very formal little show about a Catholic girls' school with a lot of implied lesbian romance. The girls never really get past the dating, kissing, and angsting stage of romance, but for some reason, I'm glued to it. Maybe because it's probably the first show I've seen about lesbians that isn't the lesbian equivalent of blaxploitation. If I had to make a comparison, it's sort of like "Little Women... If They Were Gay".

Another show you might be interested in, though it isn't finished, is Keroro Gunsou. It's a grievous crime against mankind that only six episodes have been fansubbed, but they're six hilarious episodes that don't really follow any kind of established plot. It's a pure comedy show, mixing bits of Pinky & The Brain, Invader Zim, and a bunch of references to classic shows like Mobile Suit Gundam and Hokuto No Ken. And if you find that you're upset by the lack of more episodes, there's always the manga. Six volumes of it have been released in the United States. It's Tokyopop, but it's not too bad.

And Re Cutie Honey, if it isn't licensed yet, is essentially Godannar with a female superhero instead of robots. It's an OVA, so there's more actual nudity, and the majority of that nudity is even more hilarious than the fanservice in Godannar. I haven't watched the final (third) episode, but I know it was fansubbed by someone other than the first two. Hopefully that episode's subbing doesn't suck.

Grahf
338th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Wed 9 Feb 04:11post reply

quote:

Hmmm I might give this a try. It looks pretty cool, and I usually enjoy a nice short series.
quote:
Another show you might be interested in, though it isn't finished, is Keroro Gunsou.

I've actually come extremely close to buying the manga a few times, but ultimately decided to wait on the anime. From the little bit that I've read, it's hilarious. Unless something changes and I'm able to watch it in English somehow, I'll probably end up getting the manga eventually.

But keep the recommendations coming, people. One can never have too much anime to watch.

jiji
117th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Wed 9 Feb 07:42post reply

I'm liking Jinki:Extend way more than I have any business to. It's super-formulaic and obviously girl-stacked, which usually add up to me hating whatever it is, but I LOVE it. I think it must be the animation...or maybe just Aoba's overalls

Air is the best eroge-based anime I've seen in perhaps ever. Ep4-5 are really turning on the ultra-tragedy, with just that much more quality animation.

I started Monster this season because of a huge lack of new shows to watch. yum.

Iggy
5764th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Wed 9 Feb 08:59post reply

quote:
I started Monster this season because of a huge lack of new shows to watch. yum.

Monster is worthless. It's not because the crappy formula of "let's adapt a comic page after page, episode after episode" is used on a great manga and not of a moronic Jump thing that it is any worthwile.
The adaptation is... there is no adaptation. There are colors, objectable music, bad direction that flattens the rythm even more, and some voice actors are really poorly chosen (I mean, Grimmer. What ?)

There are two really great shows this season : Gankutsuô continues, and Starship Operators, despise what it seems, is not Maria sama in space. There are a few weird characters with really kimoi voices, but the show is a great SF story and the characters are not bad at all.
If it needed another selling point, it is shown near Xenosaga, who has all the failures Starship Operators could have had : kimoi characters all over the place, cliché situations, Nobuteru Yuki...
I still don't understand how a show with operators talking to each other while sitting in their chairs can be more thrilling than a show with cyborgs and boobs and battles in space. Maybe because the first one is very well written and the last one very badly.

I don't remember there ever had a season when I was wondering if I would buy the DVDs for 2 shows (Gankutsuô and Starship Operators). Yes, they are that good.

Ah, also, Champloo continues, and the recent episodes are surprisingly not bad. It was about time.
Beside those three, there is nothing worth watching... UNTIL THE TOKUBETSUEN OF OTOGIZOUSHI !
Aaah, Urabe, what antics do you have in store for us next.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

JLG
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Wed 9 Feb 09:06post reply

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I liked Migic Nurse Komugi. It's a cute, funny little show with good art. I enjoyed it much more than the convoluted, loopy Soultaker it was spun off of.

As for the unlicensed front, I haven't gotten through much of the backlog on my computer. 2x2 Shinobuden is a great, funny series and it's a crime that there isn't more of it. If you want even more absurdist humor, go for Bobobo. I'm still waiting for someone to release the next goddamn episode of Keroro Gunso. Do we really need 50 seperate groups each releasing a verison of Naruto, or Bleach, or Ah! My Goddess?

It's been a while, but I echo the accolaides of Re: Cutie Honey - watch the first episode if just for the outsanding animation.

Click
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Thu 10 Feb 05:34:post reply

Paranoia Agent. [It's completely released in Japan, but only halfway done being released here (EDIT: I mean the US)... I'll leave the call up to you...]

It's a thriller-esque drama. The production values are sky high... Awesome concept, spot-on progression, really strong visuals and music [Hirasawa!]... I've only seen half, but... It's solid. It's Kon, so you know there's substance.

[this message was edited by Click on Thu 10 Feb 11:50]

Iggy
5773th Post

"Re(3):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Thu 10 Feb 08:21post reply

quote:
Paranoia Agent. [It's completely released in Japan, but only halfway done being released here... I'll leave the call up to you...]

It's a thriller-esque drama. The production values are sky high... Awesome concept, spot-on progression, really strong visuals and music [Hirasawa!]... I've only seen half, but... It's solid. It's Kon, so you know there's substance.

Oh, if you haven't seen it, let me second that.
This is one of the two only TV shows I've ever seen that have a real artistic will in them, and it shows. And it's far more accessible than Utena. You can go wrong.
Kon sama

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

sabo10
1118th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Galaxy Angel" , posted Thu 10 Feb 08:37post reply

Galaxy Angel

Freeter
4273th Post

"Re(3):Anime Recommendations - Part 2" , posted Thu 10 Feb 09:35post reply

quote:
Paranoia Agent.

*seconded*

Shonen Bat owns.

Grahf
339th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re: Cutie Honey Questions" , posted Fri 11 Feb 08:42post reply

I've watched the first two parts of the OVA now, and I like it a lot. Great animation, funny characters, and an extremely fast pace.

What I'm wondering is how the other Cutie Honey series relates to the OVA. Is it part of the same storyline, and if so, does it come before or after the OVA chronologically? Same characters? Same writers and/or artists? And most importantly, is it as good as the OVA (or at least close)?

And is there any reason that the police are a bunch of chibi kids, or is that just cause it's hilarious?

Shin_ATproof
1141th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Re: Cutie Honey Questions" , posted Fri 11 Feb 08:55:post reply

Re:Cutey Honey is just a remixed-retelling of the original series. It doesn't follow or lead up to anything beyond that. Yeah, love the way they animated the cops in Re:...

Edit: Re: Cutey Honey is my favorite(and I'm a big CH fan)

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Fri 11 Feb 08:57]

JJWE
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re: Cutie Honey Questions" , posted Fri 11 Feb 12:14post reply

The first episode of the OAV was the best thing since sliced butter. Great animation and visual style and a sense of humor that was top notch. And then, episode two just _fell flat_. Nowhere near as funny, gorgeous, unique or wacky. And don't get me started on that gratituous lesbo scene. Urrrgh! I'm hoping that part three will rectify all that, but based on the preview my hopes are low.

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

rid hershel
6399th Post

"Re(3):Re: Cutie Honey Questions" , posted Fri 11 Feb 21:26post reply

The third Re:CH, while not as good as the first one, it's great anyway, I loved the Aki scene with the ending song. Worth checking.

random news

Grahf
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Update" , posted Wed 16 Feb 11:01post reply

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I finished Re: Cutie Honey last week, and now I'm a couple of episodes into Grenadier. Like everyone said, Re: was a lot of fun and beautifully animated, but the first episode was easily the best of the three (I liked the other two as well, though). I might give Paranoia Agent a try later on, and I still plan on watching Samurai Champloo once it gets finished. I might actually get around to watching Scrapped Princess and/or Fullmetal Alchemist one day too.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your suggestions (and feel free to give some more if you can think of any).

Bata kun
2496th Post

"Re(1):Update" , posted Wed 16 Feb 11:43:post reply

"Maburaho"! Okay. I kid.

Though it's fairly old, I'm not afraid to admit that I saw "Aishiteru ze Baby". Kokoro's an interesting character. I liked the time

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
she used Yuzu as someone to fall back on when some guy was flirting with her.

End of Spoiler

Ha ha ha!

[this message was edited by Bata kun on Wed 16 Feb 11:44]