Your favorite RPG girl character - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6944 Views )

Phoenix
706th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 03:58:post reply

Yes, I am a dork.
To explain my madness, I must confess to recently having beaten FFX and Disgaea.
I just thought this could be one of those stupid threads to waste time on. I honestly can't remember if this thread has been done before or not.

Anyway, here are the rules.
Each female character can be from any RPG game and you must explain which game each character is from.

"And you only get to choose 3 characters."

You can do honorary mentions if you want. Please feel free to explain why etc. After a week or so, I'll count the votes and announce results.

edit: details

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Tue 8 Feb 04:24]

Replies:

digitalboy
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 04:06post reply

quote:
Yes, I am a dork.
To explain my madness, I must confess to recently having beaten FFX and Disgaea.
I just thought this could be one of those stupid threads to waste time on. I honestly can't remember if this thread has been done before or not.

Each female character can be from any RPG game and you must explain which game each character is from. And you only get to choose 3 at maximum. You can do honorary mentions if you want. Please feel free to explain why etc. After a week or so, I'll count the votes and announce results.

Tifa from Final Fantasy VII.

Korigama
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 04:10post reply

quote:

Tifa from Final Fantasy VII.

Cosign, plus two more:

-Maria (Star Ocean Till the End of Time)
-Kelvena (Xenogears)

sabo10
1114th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 04:16post reply

the broad on the everquest cover

Ishmael
1820th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 04:33post reply

Female version Sanzo from Saiyuki. In a nice change of pace she got to run the show and not be stuck as the mewling love interest of some male lead who's prettier than her. While stuck in the traditional "healer" role most RPG girls get saddled with Sanzo was still able to hold her own in a fight. That, and she looked cute in her little priest outfit.

Tifa is also nice since she's a busty barmaid in a mini-skirt and you can't go wrong with that sort of thing.

Um, either I need to play more RPG's or the characters don't stick with me after I finish the game.

Grahf
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 06:16:post reply

Hmmm, to simplify things I'm going to limit myself to female characters you control (as opposed to villains & NPCs).

1. Sheena from Tales of Symphonia (the one in my signature tag). I liked her whole "clumsy ninja" thing early in the game as well as her role as the game progressed. Her seal attacks were fun to combo when controlling her, and her battle with Kuchinawa was really cool (and hard). The only thing I would have changed about her would be to make her summons easier to do.

2. Faris from Final Fantasy V. I'm a sucker for cheesy pirates, what can I say? I always liked to make her my bruiser character (usually a Berserker/Ninja combination) just cause it seemed to fit her personality best.

3. Goombella from Paper Mario 2. She's cute, she's funny, she's a Goomba. What more can you ask for? I loved how even her descriptions of enemies and areas would be embellished with lines like "That's totally GROSS!"

Honorable Mention: KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. All joking aside, she was a cool character. She was also extremely powerful and I pretty much always kept her in my group.

And it feels like I'm forgetting about someone, but oh well...

[this message was edited by Grahf on Tue 8 Feb 06:21]

Phoenix
706th Post

"Re(5):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 06:24post reply

Well, here are mine.

1. Feena from Grandia 1
Probably my favorite. I mean how much cooler can you get than a cute, pirate chick who's fun and kicks ass? It's been so long since I beat this game, but the fact that Feena rocks has been engraved into my mind. I seem to remember something about a ghostship scene.

2. Celes from FF6
She's a magitech knight general for crying out loud! The whole ice thing and her runic powers as well as the opera scene makes her one of the most memorable characters of all time in my book. Locke is one lucky bastard.

3. Aya Brea
She's a hot, bad ass from NYPD. What more do you need to know? Did I mention she's hot? That shower FMV in PE2 is calling out to me to play that game one of these days. And I fully intend to listen.

Honorable mentions go to Lenneth and Freya from Valkyrie Profile (maybe it's the doujinshi talking) as well as Flonne for being the most oblivious character since Osaka...or perhaps a better comparison would be Amelia? Anyway... So many others I wanna mention like Rinoa, Lunar...ok ok I'll shut up.

HAYATO
267th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 07:43post reply

1- AZEL from Panzer Dragoon Saga. The first female RPG character I found interesting and well designed (I mean both looks and personality/ background story). Every time I remind PDRPG, she's the first thing related to the game I think of.

2- Lenneth, from Valkyrie Profile. The first female RPG character I found interesting and fun to control (I just hate game heroins...except for this one). Besides the game she stars in being a masterpiece, she would stand out even out of VP.

3- Pearl from Legend of Mana. She's so cute I soon began to feel emotionally implied with her dwhereabouts around the Mana world... and she ended being a friggin' MPD psycho!!! Just a girl of extremes...as I like'em

Nate
436th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 07:47post reply

In no particular order:

1. Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - Sure, she didn't get too much development or anything, but she was definitely my first favorite RPG character. She's still a favorite. Whips, two kinds of magic, neat design...what else could you ask for?

2. Lisa Silverman (Persona 2: Innocent Sin) - Really interesting and well-developed character. Seems really shallow and annoying at first, but you grow to like her. The Cantonese is cute, too. Definitely the best martial arts-type character (no thank you, Tifa) I've seen in an RPG. (Heck, she must have been popular if Atlus bothered to make a 3D model of her (check the debug mode in SMT3).

3. Eriko Kirishima (Persona series) - I don't think they developed her character as well as they could have, but she's so cute. One of the few characters with a Japanese voice who speaks English and actually does so moderately well (we'll pretend "IT'S SO MISTAKE" didn't happen). Her looks in both the games she appeared in are pretty contrasting, yet both work. Plus, she uses fencing swords. You can't go wrong with that.

Honorable Mention: I would have thrown in some Romancing SaGa characters but very few have much in the way of development. However, because I do have one as my avatar I must mention them. Ellen Carson (design, uses axes and fists), Katarina (design, uses big swords and has a unique weapon early in the game...even if she loses it), Tatyana (design, good at nearly any attack type), Muse (same as Tatyana, also my avatar)...and that's only RS3. RS2 had some neat girl characters as well.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Pollyanna
825th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 09:05post reply

Ishmael: How can you possibly choose Sanzo and then Tifa!? Are you going for some screwed up cosmic balance where you pick one huge positive and one huge negative?
Tifa is NOT a good character. She has an "appealing" design and that's it. I am frequently irritated by Tifa's popularity, even among girls who relate to her only because she's so base that anyone can.

And Nate...I feel obligated not to, but I very well could have made the same list that you did.

Movin on...

1:Ulala Serizawa from Persona 2 is my number one. I could relate to her, I could cosplay her and "I'm champion." I thought she was a really interesting character, and not just because she was a OL boxer. Unfortunately, she didn't get the emotional development that she should have, since EP didn't quite finish things off as well as IS did.

Actually...just Ulala today. I want to say Maya, too...but I'm trying hard to think of NON Persona girls that are interesting.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3314th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 10:15post reply

quote:
sin dripping off the side of Pollyanna's chin
man, you're dumb

and now. countdown

3. Luna from Lunar Silver Star Story. has that trademark personality that so many anime chicks have, but i love it. i guess watching Kenshin a couple of months beforehand didn't hurt my decision

2. Tifa from Final Fantasy VII. awesome. doesn't need an explanation

1. Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX. passionate, powerful, beautiful, and i completely relate with her and everything she's gone through. plus, she carries an awesome sword

honorary mention goes out to Etna, and when she grew up and changed her name to Millenia. couple of others i could name, but Pollyanna totally ruined the moment

"The earth has become a grave of rotten sticks."

Pollyanna
827th Post

"Re(7):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 10:21post reply

quote:

2. Tifa from Final Fantasy VII. awesome. doesn't need an explanation

Try it. Dumb people like me need you to spell things out.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3315th Post

"Re(8):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 10:34post reply

quote:
Dumb people like me need you to spell things out.
actually, i wouldn't be able to that with any of the characters i named. i don't remember much about them since it's been years since i've even touched any of those games

however, when i think back to my favorite characters, those three stuck in my head for some reason. i remember loving their personalities, their stories, and how they reacted in the situations they were in. of course, the most i remember about each of them is how they fought in battle. anyways, i'll get back to you after i play the game again

EddyT
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 11:51post reply

I'd have to say Rikku in FFX. I liked her back story in the game and her spunky personality was pretty cool. I don't play many RPGs, but FFX was definitely the most interesting to play in recent times. It's too bad that FFX-2 wasn't nearly as good for a follow-up game.

My other two choices would be Lynn from GBA Fire Emblem and Red Ring Rico from Phantasy Star Online.

Evenor
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 12:17post reply

My picks would be :

1. Quistis ( from FFVIII) - I liked her fighting style and overall appearance.

2. Virginia (Wild Arms 3 ) - I thought she was pretty cute. So cute that in one playthrough I spoiled her by wasting all my money on her ARM.

3. Ulala Serizawa (persona EP) - I would have chosen Maya, but I liked Callisto(Ulala's default persona ) better then Maya's ugly Maia.

HONORABLE MENTION: Quina from FFIX

Well I'm still not sure what Quina "is", but any character that eats frogs and attacks people with giant forks are SEXXXY.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Pollyanna
828th Post

"Re(9):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 12:19post reply

quote:
actually, i wouldn't be able to that with any of the characters i named. i don't remember much about them since it's been years since i've even touched any of those games

however, when i think back to my favorite characters, those three stuck in my head for some reason. i remember loving their personalities, their stories, and how they reacted in the situations they were in. of course, the most i remember about each of them is how they fought in battle. anyways, i'll get back to you after i play the game again

That's perfectly reasonable. I appreciate it. I was really expecting another stream of insults.

Bringing up Luna reminded me how much I liked Lemina from Eternal Blue...so she's my number 2. Maybe she might not stand the test of time, but when I played the game, I really liked her. Once you got to Vane and found out her struggle...talking to all the (pathetic) townspeople really broke my heart and made me feel for her.I have rarely, if ever, had a reaction towards a character based on what tonspeople said before, so that sticks out in my mind quite a bit. I'm also partial to "princess" characters, though they are rarely particularly interesting.

JLG
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 12:45post reply

I haven't played many RPGs, so my list may not be as impressive. So, in no particular order:

Yuffie - Everybody's mentioning Tifa, but I agree with Pollyanna that she's very overrated. I like Yuffie for her strong, wise-ass personality. She's not the bland, goody-two-shoes that typify most main RPG characters - she's the loveable, subversive scamp. Plus she's a cute ninja.

Katt - As with Yuffie, I'm a sucker for tomboys. I like Nina2 as well, but it's Katt's salt-of-the-earth, strong personalilty that won me over. And she's a cute catgirl.

I'm a pathetic dork.

Freya Crescent - The only interesting character in FF9. In fact, the game should have been about her intead of the flat pieces of worn cardboard that was Zidane and (ugh) Garnet. I'd wager she's the most tragic character in video games: she wanders for years looking for her lost love, [spoilers]only to find that he has no memory of her. Also, she has her race nearly annihilated with the twin attacks on Burmecia and Ceylra that would make the UN cry.[/spoilers] She has a cool design, and she's easily one of the most developed, strong, and deep characters Square has, and it's a shame she's been forgotten. It annoys me that people swoon over Beatrix and Kuja (ceeeripes what a lame-ass villian), given what they've done in the game. Oh, and anyone who associates me with a certian sick and twisted Internet fringe group will have a curse placed upon their house. And I'm from Chicago, we know about long-standing curses.

ONSLAUGHT
3253th Post

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 12:55:post reply

quote:
sick and twisted Internet fringe group

Are you a furry?

Anyway, my choices:

1.-Agrias
2.-Ursula from BoF
3.-Celes/Terra combo

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Tue 8 Feb 16:04]

Hagen de Merak
867th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 12:56post reply

quote:
Ishmael: How can you possibly choose Sanzo and then Tifa!? Are you going for some screwed up cosmic balance where you pick one huge positive and one huge negative?
Tifa is NOT a good character. She has an "appealing" design and that's it. I am frequently irritated by Tifa's popularity, even among girls who relate to her only because she's so base that anyone can.

1- TIFA from FF7. That's right. Her design, her fighting style, her story, i loved eveything about her. Plus she was another female character that didnt rely on some magic staff or magic related weapon.

2 - Quistis Trepe from FF8. She was only 18 but was an instructor. I thought that was pretty cool. Plus I love her design.

3- Ayla from Chrono Trigger. She saved me in alot of battles with her brute strength and crazy techs. It was so cool to finally see a girl in an RPG that wasnt a cute magic user and that was physically stronger than the main character (at least for me it was the first time).

JLG
76th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 13:23post reply

quote:

Are you a furry?

FUCK NO

And a plague of locusts for you!

Adon
1476th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 13:54post reply

Right now it is Amelia love the Grey and Black! Oh wait then there is Mizuki with her Ninja dress but then then... Then there is is Jeane.....

sigh Suikoden 4

Pollyanna
830th Post

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 14:16post reply

quote:

Freya Crescent - The only interesting character in FF9.

AH!!! I can't believe I forgot Freija! She really was great! She's arguably my favorite FF character. Now I'm in a pickle. I want to say Maya (Amano), but I also want to say Freija.

Hmmm...it WAS spelled "Freija" in Japan, right? I know I didn't just make that spelling up, because I remember thinking it was cooler when I saw that they used the "y" spelling in the US game.

Amakusa
574th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 14:42post reply

1. Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean Till the End of Time) - General Ass-kicker, and there wasn't a moment in the game where her gender turned her into a total wuss like some RPGs are wont to do (nothing silly like pining over the lead male or becoming more girly). General Ass-kicker the whole game, yes. Didn't hurt that she was also General Ass-kicker in battle, too. Nel's personality is more understandable to me and doesn't appeal to pity points at any time-- because General Ass-kicker doesn't need pity.

2. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy 9) - I am the opinion she was horribly under-utilized in the story, and what story she had was pretty laughable, but I still like her all the same. It might be for the simple fact she absolutely kicked ass in battle (she never left my active party when I could help it).

3. Nina (Breath of Fire 2) - Wasn't a whiney bitch like the other Ninas in the series. I just liked blowing stuff up with her spells and stuff. Oh, and black wings.

Honorable Mentions: I could've mentioned Celes (Final Fantasy 6), but her pining over Locke got on my nerves. I could've mentioned Lenneth or Freya, but I've never played Valkyrie Profile. I could've mentioned mentioned Karna (Ys 4), but I couldn't tell if I was completely wrong about her or not, since my Japanese is very, very bad-- and I'm not sure if that even qualifies as an RPG.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

hikarutilmitt
295th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 15:55post reply

Wow, someone else mentioneed Rydia. I'm not alone!

Rydia - FFIV
First RPG girls I thought was actually cool, and she's still one of my favorites. She's not just a mage, she's the black mage and kicks ass at what she does.

Selphie - FFVIII
Only good thing about FFVIII, IMO. She had life, smarts and large brown boots to complement her yellow dress. She was the light in the darkness of the drab FFVIII cast.

Lin - Breath of Fire V
I really can't describe why I like her other than her being kickass and hot. She and Ursula from BoFIV are the closest thing I get to liking any sort of animal-girl character.

Honorable mentions:
Eimi/Aelia - Valkyrie Profile: came super close to edging out Lin (I actually switched the two just now while typing this) because she's awesome and kickass in a can.
Nel/Mirage/Welch - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time: hard to say other than all three are awesome in their own rights, and Welch isn't even playable.
Rikku - FFX-2: I enjoyed her more in 2 than 1, but she's still fun either way.

Yeah, I'll stop now because it was hard to find my third favorite character from my list (which certainly isn't all here).

E5150
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 16:31post reply

Lulu - Best Black mage ever

Beatrix - badass

Paine - Badasser

Iggy
5756th Post

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 18:33post reply

Let's see... I never like the writting in most mainstream Square games. Even though I like FF6, no character (both male and female) particularly strikes me. And let's not talk of the rest of the series. Same for Rudora no Hihô, I only remember Surlent (a guy) and the 4th jade, but only because he was extremely annoying during the whole course of the game. Characters in games by smaller teams (Saga, Mana) are far better though. I like Katarina in RS3 and a good number of female characters in RS2 (but they don't have much of a scenario). Coperia in RS2 is good, even with very few replies, she manages to get a personality and becomes nearly touching (she even gets her own theme after she's dead and forgotten by everyone).

Nearly all the women in Valkyrie were wonderful. I mean, ALL the characters of Valkyrie were wondeful, but Triace kinda cheated since each had half an hour of introduction before they even met the Valkyrie. Mention to the Valkyrie herself, Gerald (the princess and her silly but cute love affair) Nanami and her resignation, Jeil because more berubara is always great, and Frei and Freia.

But if I had to take only 3, they would be...
3 - Legend of Mana : Matilda. The only story in a RPG that nearly made me cry.

2 - SMT3 : Chiaki. Modern Shibuyate characters are usually as enerving as their IRL counterparts, but sometimes, a good writter describe them from the inside. It's extremely surprising to like a character you would hate if you met them (I'm thinking about that movie, Platonic Sex, even though Ai and Chiaki don't have much in common except both would be horrible people in any situation but the one they are in). I can't develop more on Chiaki, since it would spoil the entire game.

1 - U: Saga : Laura. She's the character that saved the game for me. She's the heroin of her game (how many heroin are there beside Valkyrie?) but she's not a cute girl or anything : she's 30 something (and she looks good, not like Rolenta in VP who is 36 but looks 50), she used to be a pirate and a murderer, but she maried her boss and retired. But the game begins after the death of her husband, that leaves her alone and without any goal in her life. During the course of the game, she'll try to think about what she'll do next, and if she even wants to continue to live. How is that for originality ?
She's extremely touching without any overplayed drama, she's the best character in any RPG I've played.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Juke Joint Jezebel
3317th Post

"Re(10):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 19:12post reply

quote:
That's perfectly reasonable. I appreciate it. I was really expecting another stream of insults.

you dumb hos never learn

quote:
It annoys me that people swoon over Beatrix and Kuja (ceeeripes what a lame-ass villian), given what they've done in the game.

typical, coming from a furry

quote:
3- Ayla from Chrono Trigger.

i forgot about Ayla, man

JLG
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Your favorite RPG girl character" , posted Tue 8 Feb 20:23:post reply

quote:

typical, coming from a furry

Death of the first-born son! And your local sports team won't win the big game, either.

[this message was edited by JLG on Tue 8 Feb 20:24]

Time Mage
2048th Post

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 20:24post reply

First of all, we're all dorks. That's why we're here.

And now, my votes:

- Yuffie (FFVII): I like Tifa, but Yuffie is much, much better character-wise. And funny as hell.

- Agrias Oaks (FFT): Strong, loyal knight, yet you can tell she's a she. Great skillset.

- Aika (SoAL): I like annoying yelling tomboys. Like Yuffie, Like Aika.

All three belongs to the somewhat rare kind of "woman in an RPG that's not a magic user nor has a stupid personality".

Honorable mentions: Goombella (Thanks Grahf for reminding me of her), Celes, Tifa, Faris, Generic Female Geomancer, Freya, Beatrix, Quistis, Lucca. I know there are more, but my mind is blocked right now.

ArrowedGuy
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Tue 8 Feb 21:02:post reply

Hmm...

Kid (Chrono Cross) - Lead females in RPGs tend to be flat characters or shameless damsels in distress, and I went in expecting to dislike her. But I found myself surprised and impressed by her fiery, vindictive nature. I was then very moved by her flashback, which put her at the top of my list since CC's release.

Nino (Fire Emblem) - Another character that's easy to sympathize with. Plus, I enjoyed her development with Jaffar.

Mirage (Star Ocean 3) - Highly intelligent, multi-talented, curiously humble... she's like a female version of Citan Uzuki from Xenogears.

[this message was edited by ArrowedGuy on Tue 8 Feb 21:05]

lunatic
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 06:24post reply

Definitely Tifa.
She has plenty of admirable qualities, such as her faith and patience w/ Cloud, she never gave up on the weirdo. Though i wished she had better fashion sense that how she look like in FF7. I guess she does look a whole lot better in AC.

You've been very bad~ Now off to the gas chamber!

Lupin
2920th Post

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 09:32:post reply

quote:
Yes, I am a dork.

Each female character can be from any RPG game and you must explain which game each character is from.

"And you only get to choose 3 characters."

You can do honorary mentions if you want. Please feel free to explain why etc. After a week or so, I'll count the votes and announce results.

1. Koudelka from Koudelka, becauce...she rocks.
2. Terra from Final Fantasy VI (FF III in the U.S.) because FF VI rocked, and the character design was enjoyable.

quote:
First of all, we're all dorks. That's why we're here.
I'm not a dork (and/or a furry).!

[this message was edited by Lupin on Thu 10 Feb 09:51]

mbisonhatclub
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 10:16post reply

My psycho anima drive is working, and gathering energy from all the anima projection in here and working its wonderful effects and giving me energy, muh huh huh

Toxico
4039th Post

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 10:41:post reply

quote:

1 - U: Saga : Laura. She's the character that saved the game for me. She's the heroin of her game (how many heroin are there beside Valkyrie?)

In fact many rpgs have female heroins but since the games are not that relevant and well develop you just miss then and replace that info with something useful like, 'on the sea there aren't good bathrooms, so never piss against the wind'. examples -> Aya, Terra, Xion, Cosmos & a bunch more.

Hmmmm... I have played way too many rpgs and I'm not a female game kirk but the games that quickly rise to my mind are BoFs.

Nina -> BoF II She was grown up and not a sissy little girl, she was very formal, polite & had little personality touchs like been always depressed because she was cursed and labeled for sacrifice.

Agrias Oak -> She didn't spoke for more than 3 stages or so like any other square soft side kick character but the few times I saw her do something storyline wise; she was a retrainer faithful & obidient but still managed to have her little grips on choices like 'what is right'.

..... I'll pick more characters once the phantom of hang over stops bashing my brain cells against my skull...

See??? He is a God...

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 10 Feb 11:08]

rid hershel
6395th Post

"Re(1):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 11:03:post reply

Opera Vectra, Star Ocean 2: too hot, even with three eyes. And with a fun personality

Pepper Box, Evolution: fun, and with Kikuko Inoue voicing her. Angstless, which is important.

random news

[this message was edited by rid hershel on Thu 10 Feb 11:12]

Phoenix
711th Post

"Re(2):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 11:27post reply

quote:
Opera Vectra, Star Ocean 2: too hot, even with three eyes. And with a fun personality

Pepper Box, Evolution: fun, and with Kikuko Inoue voicing her. Angstless, which is important.

There's a game called Evolution with Inoue? I was wondering when somebody was gonna mention SO2. It looks like people are leaning towards more recent RPGs? I also have a crapload of other things I want to say...brb.

Amakusa
575th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 11:53post reply

quote:
I was wondering when somebody was gonna mention SO2. It looks like people are leaning towards more recent RPGs?

Only if you consider Final Fantasy 6 as 'recent'. I consider 7 as 'old' now.

Spoon
769th Post

"Re(4):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 12:30post reply

Curly Brace from Ca- oh wait, RPGs...

Maou
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 13:56post reply

Ah, this is fun since with RPG's you actually have to justify character and not just visual appearance!

1. LUCIA, Lunar~Eternal Blue! Can't believe she didn't make it up before! Watching her become more "human" as the story progresses was interesting as a character study and very moving by the end of the game. Lunar 2 makes me cry to this day.

2. And in a complete change of pace: Archie, Tales of Phantasia! So spunky, funny, and her voice actress was absolutely perfect for the job! Her vaguely naughty bits mixed in with her sweet character made her a winner, especially with the extra PS remake dialog.

3. Rinoa, FFVIII. I liked her personality quite a lot, great energy and spirit to her character that actually made her a realistic person to cause the distant hero to warm up. Lots of fun.

Honorable mention: FFVI cast (Relm!), Aerith

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

VManOfMana
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 14:19post reply

I'll keep it short...

Riesz (Seiken Densetsu 3) - IMO the most likeable female character in the RPGs I have played. Tragic story, nice design.

Purim (Seiken Densetsu 2) - I always liked the fact that her default weapon is the glove. Punch and kick attacks in the game are my favorite. And her design is very non-standard compared to other RPGs.

Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - The first time that I saw her after becoming a caller I was all (ZOMG SHE IS BACK!) inside my early teenager brain. That and the fact that she became an indispensable member of my party with Bahamut.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Juke Joint Jezebel
3321th Post

"Re(6):Your favorite moe" , posted Thu 10 Feb 15:00post reply

quote:
Honorable mention: FFVI cast (Relm!)

wagh!

i love kids (in a serious, non-perverse way). well, not all of them. most are annoying or completely retarded, but RPGs have pumped out a couple of cool ones. Palom (FFIV), Porom (FFIV), Ellone (FFVIII), Eiko (FFIX), Roan (Grandia II) ...

all my friends hated Relm but i thought she rocked. cute, playful, and innocent girl, with a beautiful theme and great fashion sense. also, her powerful (and addicting) sketch/control skills made me ~_~

monsters dance for her

Iggy
5775th Post

"Re(3):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Thu 10 Feb 18:20post reply

quote:
Aya, Terra, Xion, Cosmos & a bunch more.

I thought Parasite eve is not that much of a RPG, FF6 is great because there is no real main character in it (who is really the main character ? You begin with Terra/Tina, but she vanished for half of the game. Then Celes ? Locke ? Edgard ? there is no character the game is centered on, and that's what makes it great even now) and finally, Xenosaga is not a game at all anyways.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

rid hershel
6398th Post

"Re(3):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Fri 11 Feb 00:21post reply

quote:
It looks like people are leaning towards more recent RPGs? I also have a crapload of other things I want to say...brb.
And looks like 90% of the people like only Squenix RPG's? I expected more Namco and Nippon 1 around.

random news

lunatic
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Fri 11 Feb 00:28post reply

quote:

3. Rinoa, FFVIII. I liked her personality quite a lot, great energy and spirit to her character that actually made her a realistic person to cause the distant hero to warm up. Lots of fun.

Rinoa is messed up. the kinda girl i'd shoot on the spot. first she' was in love w/ Seifer, which is bad enough to begin w/, love-hugs some weirdo who jacks their train (when squall and rinoa first met). switched the boat and falls in love w/ a guy who says 'whatever' to everything, didn't give a shit about seifer when he was all messed up. That's one faithless bytch... squall is just gonna find her w/ a different man another day he comes back from the fire cave.

You've been very bad~ Now off to the gas chamber!

Maou
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Your favorite moe" , posted Fri 11 Feb 01:31post reply

quote:

i love kids

I knew it.
Meanwhile, Relm was cute n' fun, but a pretty foul mouth for an innocent girl (even in the US version, she said some mean things to her poor grandpa Stragus!). She has the innocent spirit of a pure artist though. Painting Orthos/Ultros would suck.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Undead Fred
2112th Post

"Re(8):Your favorite moe howard" , posted Fri 11 Feb 05:57post reply

I like Tifa too. :(

Tifa, FFVII- Like JJJ said, it's been years since I've played a bunch of these games, but yes, I liked her for more than just boobs. I also liked her fighting style- as someone else mentioned, she wasn't just your average magic user female character... she was more of a fighter.

Ayla, Chrono Trigger-
SHE SCREAMS LIKE A BANSHEE
AND SHE MOVES LIKE A CAT
I COULD TELL YOU MUCH MORE
BUT LETS LEAVE IT AT THAT

I'm not sure who would be third, so I'll say Rikku. I liked her as a character, but I really didn't like her super-low attack power in FFX. She was great for stealing and mixing up big bombs, though. She was much much more useable in FFX-2.

Honorable mention- Paine, KOS-MOS, Freya, Yuffie, Eiko.

Pollyanna
838th Post

"Re(4):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Fri 11 Feb 08:07post reply

quote:
It looks like people are leaning towards more recent RPGs? I also have a crapload of other things I want to say...brb. And looks like 90% of the people like only Squenix RPG's? I expected more Namco and Nippon 1 around.

Well, for fun, I'll do my favorite Namco and Nippon-1 girl.

Most of the Nippon-1 characters, to me, have this amazing quality of starting out interesting and making you gradually hate them more and more. That's pretty much how the Disgaea cast went for me, Phantom Brave altogether and about half of the characters in La Pucelle. Playing Phantom Brave (in terms of plot) gave me an idea what it's like for a dog when you rub it's face in poop to teach it something....all day long. Oh...and I never got really into the Puppet Princess games, so they're out.

Buuut...I still like Eclair. She upset me a few times, but I found her altogether charming. I loved her design (stolen or not) her voice, her unbeatable princessy cuteness and her relationship with Homard (one of the few romances in a game I've gotten really girly about).

As for Namco, Xenosaga and Venus and Braves are out of the question, I haven't played Baten Kaitos yet and...that just leaves the Tales games right? The Tales characters are too "anime" for me in most cases. That's to say, most of them are a certain archetype. If I had to pick a favorite, though...it's Presea, easily. She's -almost- the most obvious archetype, being a emotionless lolita-type, but she really surprised me in a lot of ways and unlike other characters like her, she felt very believable to me. I loved her voice, her design and all the conversations she had (forgot what they're called now). Of course, my favorite guy in that game was Regal, so that complimented my Presea love. Hmmm...I think those two are my only imaginary romantic group.

Am I forgetting some Namco RPG?

Ishmael
1827th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 02:43post reply

quote:
Most of the Nippon-1 characters, to me, have this amazing quality of starting out interesting and making you gradually hate them more and more. That's pretty much how the Disgaea cast went for me, Phantom Brave altogether and about half of the characters in La Pucelle. Playing Phantom Brave (in terms of plot) gave me an idea what it's like for a dog when you rub it's face in poop to teach it something....all day long. Oh...and I never got really into the Puppet Princess games, so they're out.

What makes Phantom Brave so unpleasant? I haven't tried the game myself -a bad experience trying to play La Pucelle convinced me that my enjoyment of Disgaea was more a fluke than a blanket enjoyment of Nippon Ichi games- so I don't know anything about the plot about PB outside of what was written on the back of the box.

I agree with Rid, I'm surprised that Flonne or the like haven't shown up in the thread.

Holiday
2466th Post

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 03:47post reply

Fanboy mode?

1) Farah (Tales of Destiny II/Tales of Eternia)
Very cute, wild green hair, kicks and punches 1000 ton monsters around like they were Reid's underwear and it was such a pleasant surprise when

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
the game rewarded me with a super Farah attack just for naturally using her as my main attacker a lot. It was like the game was shouting GOOD CHOICE

End of Spoiler

Too bad the rest of my party ends up so underpowered. Baiba?

2) Kururu (Puppet Princess series)
Moe moe, nekomimi(?), great songs, awesome mother, Pumpkin Panties and Maria Kawamura as her voice actor.
Nippon Ichi should continue their musical RPGs. It'll be a nice change from their 1 trillion atk characters RPGs (not that they're bad, but...).

3) Mint (Dewprism / Threads of Fate)
Hates pumpkins, so she shouldn't meet Kururu.
She hates pumpkins, therefore she is cute.

Strange that all of my favourite RPG girls appear on the PS...

Phoenix
713th Post

"Re(7):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 04:23post reply

I'm so backlogged on comments that I really don't know where to begin. But, I did give Flonne an honorable mention! She inherited the will of Amelia and twisted it into love power. And someone else mentioned Etna. Never heard of Puppet Princess series. I could've sworn I knew about all the PSX RPGs released in the US. (I pretend to be an RPG connoiseur you see) Other comments...

No one else picked Grandia? No Feena, no Leen...maybe the game's too old. Grandia 2 was mentioned tho...I forget who.

Tifa is freakin popular and she's probably in the lead. She's my fave from FF7 (never liked Aerith much), but I always had the impression that everyone liked Aerith more than Tifa? Maybe that goes for the mainstream and well mmcafe is not mainstream.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
We're elite!

End of Spoiler

Who's Kelvina? I only remember Elly from Xenogears...oh wait and Esmeralda or whatever that green haired cyborg kid chick who grows up- she's kick ass. Been too long maybe. And FF7 is not old...it's 3D so it's new...

I concur that Rinoa is messed up. But I also must clarify that I picked her for design only...this Matilda...I really don't wanna play Legend of Mana...and then an U:Saga character as best character?! Agreed on VP cast kicking ass tho. I don't really wanna play La Pucelle either after Disgaea...but I keep hearing Eclaire.

Good to see support for Rydia, Faris, Relm, Kid, Ayla, Luna (the whole SSSC cast rocks), Lucia (nude), Aika (yay!) and so forth. I concur on Agrias Oaks, Beatrix, and Freya Crescent (I can't believe she's a rat). Koudelka...is that a purely design choice or did she have good story? About SoM, who was that spear wielding kid again? Was that a male or female?

Oh, and FF1 white mage is hot.

Grahf
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 04:55post reply

quote:
Who's Kelvina?

She was one of the four Elements in Xenogears. They were Ramsus's guards and you fought their Voltron-style combined gears at some point.

Holiday
2467th Post

"Re(8):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 05:05post reply

quote:
Never heard of Puppet Princess series. I could've sworn I knew about all the PSX RPGs released in the US.

Gah, I should have written Marl Kingdom series / Little Princess / Puppet Princess 2. Chinese New Year season rots the rpg brain...

Kururu is the star of Nippon Ichi's series of games that were never released in the US.
This page has more info about them: Angel Present
Tenshi no Present is really nice. Jigsaw Puzzle at Marl's is even better <_<
Letting Kururu and Myao fight will result in an moexplosion.

Korigama
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 05:14:post reply

quote:
Who's Kelvina?
She was one of the four Elements in Xenogears. They were Ramsus's guards and you fought their Voltron-style combined gears at some point.

That's right (in regards to further details, she was the water elemental, the one who always had her eyes closed).

I guess I'll throw in some honorable mentions while I'm at it...

Tio (Grandia II), Paine (FFX-2), Aya (Parasite Eve series), Beatrix (FFIX), Fuujin (FFVIII), Jean (Lunar 2), Kanon (Wild Arms 2), Margarette (Shadow Hearts), Orlha (Chrono Cross), KOS-MOS (Xenosaga), Miyuki (Xenosaga), BlackRose (.hack), Shana (Legend of Dragoon), Rose (Legend of Dragoon), Meru (Legend of Dragoon)

[this message was edited by Korigama on Sat 12 Feb 05:16]

Pollyanna
843th Post

"Re(6):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 09:42post reply

quote:

What makes Phantom Brave so unpleasant? I haven't tried the game myself -a bad experience trying to play La Pucelle convinced me that my enjoyment of Disgaea was more a fluke than a blanket enjoyment of Nippon Ichi games- so I don't know anything about the plot about PB outside of what was written on the back of the box.

Well, for one, I didn't enjoy the cast of Phantom Brave, but mostly it was due to the fact that the theme of the game was VERY simplistic and beat into the ground. You have the same, boring, cheesy sentimental theme in every scenario with predictable results. It came to the point that you didn't even need to watch the cinemas...you could guess what was going to happen, and probably write the dialogue as well.

I thought the game had a great plot CONCEPT, and I loved the gameplay, but the characters and the story, especially in the last few chapters, was unforgivably stale.

Amakusa
576th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Sat 12 Feb 12:15post reply

quote:
And looks like 90% of the people like only Squenix RPG's? I expected more Namco and Nippon 1 around.

Habitually I won't pick a character from an RPG that isn't in English because my command over other languages is pretty bad, and therefore I have little to say other than something superficial (for instance I was partial to Tales of Phantasia's Mint, but since I never really got her personality I can't say much without saying something rather moronic. If I knew I may end up hating her and liking Suzu or something).

I also don't really like charicatures or stereotypes very much. For instance I am partial to Tio (Grandia II), but the problem is she fills a stereotypical role, and her natural progression through the game becomes ridiculously predictable. If she had some other qualities that made her stand out from that, then yes, I would consider her.

So you can't win that way due to circumstance.

Phoenix
717th Post

"Time limit" , posted Wed 16 Feb 01:25post reply

quote:

Habitually I won't pick a character from an RPG that isn't in English because my command over other languages is pretty bad, and therefore I have little to say other than something superficial (for instance I was partial to Tales of Phantasia's Mint, but since I never really got her personality I can't say much without saying something rather moronic. If I knew I may end up hating her and liking Suzu or something).

Didn't Namco releaase a RPG called Dragon Valor or something? I seem to remember being excited about it. Anyway, I won't have time to tally up the votes until the weekend. So the absolute final day to vote is friday. I'd set a time but we're from all over the globe so...

KTallguy
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Your favorite RPG girls" , posted Wed 16 Feb 02:55post reply

quote:

Rinoa is messed up. the kinda girl i'd shoot on the spot. first she' was in love w/ Seifer, which is bad enough to begin w/, love-hugs some weirdo who jacks their train (when squall and rinoa first met). switched the boat and falls in love w/ a guy who says 'whatever' to everything, didn't give a shit about seifer when he was all messed up. That's one faithless bytch... squall is just gonna find her w/ a different man another day he comes back from the fire cave.

Late to the discussion but... OMG that come back from the fire cave line is great =P

Rinoa, to me, symbolized how fricking weird girls are, and how you can't figure them out. Which made it all the better, when for some reason or another, you won her. It's like ... oops you're here now! Well I guess I'll just count my blessings! (that's life kids, that's life) During the game I went from loving her to hating her to loving her again, she had ditzy times and moments of subtle beauty in her personality... but overall I really liked her character design. I'd like to replay FF8 and remember everything but imagining sitting through those summons makes me shudder.

Tifa was great because she wasn't Aerith, she had god damned emotions and she didn't play the 'I'm happy all the time' game. She tried to be cheerful at points but failed. I liked that about her. She was flawed.

Elly from Xenogears is another example of a flawed but amazing, beautiful character. The emotions she goes through, fricking amazing. She was kind of weak in the actual game but I still used her a lot.

I really liked Lucca from Chrono Trigger. She was like... 'I'm so cool, so smart' ... but never seemed so serious about it... =P '...it's because I'm the incredible Lucca!! ha ha ha!'

Um, other than that ... oh yea... what's her name? The girl from Breath of Fire V? Oh yea, Nina. I really liked her! Why? I have no clue. She's a silent character but, something about her... I felt instantly the need to protect and take care of her, from the moment I met her in the game.

FFTactics... god there was Agrias...anyone remember her? I can't remember what she was like...

Also, Vagrant Story, the girl... Callo Merlose. I really liked her character design, but she wasn't in the game enough. They MUST make a sequel to this game, and put her in it. =P

I can't think of anything else.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Phoenix
724th Post

"Today = Final day to vote" , posted Sat 19 Feb 05:21post reply

Yep.
Expect a results thread in a couple of days.
Domo arigatou.

Megane
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Today = Final day to vote" , posted Sat 19 Feb 11:21post reply

quote:
Yep.
Domo arigatou.

Is it too late?

My picks are:
Quistis Trepe
Meliadoul (FF Tactics)
Momo (Breath of Fire 3)

Phoenix
726th Post

"Results thread be here" , posted Thu 24 Feb 07:58post reply

quote:
Yep.
Domo arigatou.

Is it too late?

My picks are:
Quistis Trepe
Meliadoul (FF Tactics)
Momo (Breath of Fire 3)

Nope, thx for voting.
So sorry about the delay everyone.
My car spun out on the freeway in the rain.
And my computer stopped working.
I think it's the motherboard or the ram.
Anyway, I'm typing from work and I'll have the results thread up asap.
Chao.