DOOM the movie - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1990 Views )

Daala
984th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"DOOM the movie" , posted Thu 3 Feb 22:16post reply

first off...sorry if this has been posted before.

" some "minor" changes done to the film's concept: The monsters have nothing to do with hell, the plot is not taking place on Mars and "space marines" are not well "space marines" as their outfits are more like SWAT team members."

---- Que? -----

" The story follows eight marines, teleported into a command centre of a secret base on a remote planet. There, they learn that something strange is happening and soon monsters start to appear. The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game."

---- What is this RE? WTF? ----

--- I knew Karl Urban was going to be in this movie, but geez! talk about bad story line. ---

Replies:

HAYATO
262th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):DOOM the movie" , posted Thu 3 Feb 23:19post reply

Those plot changes are quite annoying, but you know, Doom's storyline isn't really innovative either. In fact, I found it very typical. Of course I'm talking about the original one, I don't know whether Doom 3's plot is somewhat different to the previous ones or not, and frankly it doesn't matter to me.

IMO, this is a videogame-based film that should have never been even considered to be made. But it isn't the only one...nor the worst one.

OmegaDog
1431th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):DOOM the movie" , posted Fri 4 Feb 01:34post reply

And here I thought they were going to remain true to DOOM the comic book. :(

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Ishmael
1811th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):DOOM the movie" , posted Fri 4 Feb 01:44post reply

quote:

The movie would be some sort of weird cult classic if it was nothing but ninety solid minutes of that.

Undead Fred
2083th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"This movie is DOOMED LOL" , posted Fri 4 Feb 02:07post reply

Well, for the plotline of an old video game, it wasn't bad at all... plus, it worked. I know I've already done my ranting and raving on how much I don't like what they've done to the movie so far, but you've got to at least give Doom fans credit when they start getting upset over this... we've waited like, ten years for this movie just to have it COMPLETELY suck.

YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS THAT YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Mosquiton
1507th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):DOOM the COMIC" , posted Fri 4 Feb 02:43post reply

quote:

The movie would be some sort of weird cult classic if it was nothing but ninety solid minutes of that.

You mean Army of Darkness? I think it's pretty clear where the inspiration came from. Hail to the king chief, baby.

They totally screwed up the BFG, though. That could have been a great climax. And the plasma rifle wasn't right either...but it's still pretty amusing.

/ / /

Undead Fred
2085th Post

"Re(4):DOOM the COMIC" , posted Fri 4 Feb 03:23:post reply

quote:
You mean Army of Darkness? I think it's pretty clear where the inspiration came from. Hail to the king chief, baby.

They totally screwed up the BFG, though. That could have been a great climax. And the plasma rifle wasn't right either...but it's still pretty amusing.

Heh heh heh. Yeah, I was wondering why the BFG looked like it only shot a few shotgun pellets at that Cyberdemon... But at that point, I didn't think it really mattered since the comic reads like it was written by a thirteen year old. "YOU'RE STUPID! AND YOU'RE GONNA BE STUPID AND DEAD!"

I thought that summary before the comic was exaggerating when they said he was on a quest to get guns the whole time. I WAS WRONG. SUPER DEAD WRONG. AND IF THIS HERE SHOTGUN IS WRONG, I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT! OH YEAH!! I'M BURNING!! RUN DOWN THE HOUSE, BABY I'VE NEED ME THE NEW MACHINE GUNS SUPERBAD BARBEQUE!!!

EDIT: Grammar!

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Fri 4 Feb 03:47]

Iggy
5701th Post

"Re(5):DOOM the COMIC" , posted Fri 4 Feb 04:03post reply

Giggle

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Undead Fred
2087th Post

"Re(6):DOOM the COMIC" , posted Fri 4 Feb 04:58:post reply

quote:
Giggle

WOW... I remember seeing trailers and promos for "Alone in the Dark," but I had no idea that it was supposed to be based on the GAME... I just thought the names happened to be the same. Wow. Next to that, the Doom movie is 100% accurate.

EDIT: "Somewhere, Ed Wood is resting pretty comfortably right now." Heh heh. After reading the Something Awful article, I had to look that movie up on Rotten Tomatoes... 1%. Hold your chin up high, Boll. You've earned it!

........and there's no telling what he'll end up doing to Bloodrayne or Hunter...

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Fri 4 Feb 05:12]

Mosquiton
1508th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):DOOM the COMIC" , posted Fri 4 Feb 05:27post reply

quote:

........and there's no telling what he'll end up doing to Bloodrayne or Hunter...

What I don't understand is how he got Sir Ben Kingsley, an academy award winning and very respectable actor, to co-star in BloodRayne. I'd love for the movie not to suck but I'm not sure that it's possible. I just hope the guy can keep his chin up...

Strangely, it seems that Ben has been involved with the production of six movies in 2005. Maybe he's saving up for his own island.

/ / /

Undead Fred
2087th Post

"Re(8):DOOM the COMIC" , posted Fri 4 Feb 05:43post reply

quote:
Maybe he's saving up for his own island.

Well, apparently, Boll needs an island for all of his movies so they'll be at 100% perfect cinematically. Because there always needs to be an exciting car chase to an island where lots of things get shot and explode. If Kingsley gets his own island, then Boll could probably use it since they worked together once.

Yeah, I had heard comments that Boll turned Bloodrayne into some sort of retarded Xena Vampire Princess thing, and yeah, that's pretty much what it's looking like.

Ishmael
1812th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):DOOM the MUSICAL" , posted Fri 4 Feb 05:45post reply

quote:

I had only skimmed the dialogue -not normally something I do but, c'mon, it's a comic book tie-in to Doom- so I hadn't noticed just how much it had borrowed from outside sources. But now that I've ground through all sixteen pages I'm amazed at how shameless the whole production is. Thinking about this and Duke Nukem I'm left wondering what the FPS market would have been like ten years ago if Bruce Campbell had never strutted across the screen.

Undead Fred
2089th Post

"Re(5):DOOM the MUSICAL" , posted Fri 4 Feb 06:02:post reply

quote:
I had only skimmed the dialogue -not normally something I do but, c'mon, it's a comic book tie-in to Doom- so I hadn't noticed just how much it had borrowed from outside sources. But now that I've ground through all sixteen pages I'm amazed at how shameless the whole production is. Thinking about this and Duke Nukem I'm left wondering what the FPS market would have been like ten years ago if Bruce Campbell had never strutted across the screen.

Well, to be fair, the Doom comic was trying to copy the Bruce Campbell attitude (didn't quite pull it off, but you can definitely see it), but the game wasn't. You're right about Duke Nukem, though. For me, I hadn't seen the Evil Dead series when I was big on Duke Nukem, but a friend of mine had eventually told me about Army of Darkness because of the game, and I got started on the Evil Dead movies from there. At least Duke Nukem was still a lot of fun, though. I wish I could get it running on this computer...

EDIT: Man, my brain's still asleep.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Fri 4 Feb 06:03]

Burning Ranger
1036th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):DOOM the MUSICAL" , posted Fri 4 Feb 08:04post reply

quote:
At least Duke Nukem was still a lot of fun, though. I wish I could get it running on this computer...

EDIT: Man, my brain's still asleep.

There is a port of Duke3d for Windows XP, but you have to have the original version.

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Undead Fred
2090th Post

"Re(7):DOOM the MUSICAL" , posted Fri 4 Feb 09:36post reply

quote:
There is a port of Duke3d for Windows XP, but you have to have the original version.

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

Ahhhhh, sweeet! I've got the original and the expansion pack, and I've been dying to play it again. Have you tried it? And does it work on 2000? I'm guessing it will if it works on XP and 98... I'll have to give it a try later on. I appreciate the link!

HAYATO
265th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):DOOM the movie" , posted Fri 4 Feb 18:07post reply

quote:

Oh, man!! This comic is so wrong in so many ways!!!! Although no one can say it isn't true to the real DOOM spirit...and that's why I loved it

DarkZero
1074th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):DOOM the movie" , posted Fri 4 Feb 18:34post reply

I'd have to say that my favorite part of this film was when someone involved with the production tried to assure Doom fans that they would stay true to the game by including all of its signature weapons, including the shotgun, plasma rifle, and BioForce Gun.

Yeah, 'cause that's what BFG stands for. BioForce Gun. Right. Jackass.

Undead Fred
2093th Post

"Re(4):DOOM the movie" , posted Fri 4 Feb 20:40post reply

quote:
I'd have to say that my favorite part of this film was when someone involved with the production tried to assure Doom fans that they would stay true to the game by including all of its signature weapons, including the shotgun, plasma rifle, and BioForce Gun.

Yeah, 'cause that's what BFG stands for. BioForce Gun. Right. Jackass.

Heh heh heh. Yeah, I noticed that, too. "We're staying true to the game, don't worry! Now don't read too much into next this sentence, but we haven't played the games at all, and we figured it would be about supervirus mutants getting shot at by a whole team of SWAT officers in New York."

And if they really knew what BFG stood for and couldn't say it, then LEAVE IT AT BFG AND WE'LL KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. Bleh.