Konami gamers' day impressions - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2107 Views )

exodus
2378th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Fri 28 Jan 11:14:post reply

death jr. - well, it's digital eclipse doing it - their new name is backbone entertainment, I guess. They sent us hatemail in the past for our phantasy star collection review, hehe.

Anyway, that's beside the point. The game plays a bit like ratchet and clank, though they apparently 'hate that comparison.' It has nifty characters - skeleton guy, little goth girl, quad amputee foreign exchange student. The combat is ok, but feels a bit floaty to me? And the graphics are good, but...yeah...they feel like somewhere between late PSone and early PS2. Polys are very jagged. The weapons are ok, but I don't quite dig the targeting - why sony didn't include two analog pads is beyond me. That Coded Arms FPS suffers from the same problem (though it uses the face buttons for gun movement, ala smash tv).

The music is jumpy, it has lots of neat stuff to blow up, and a decent feel. But the main character moves around too fast, and feels like a bobblehead doll.

I'm on the fence on this one.

--
Castlevania DS - It ruuuuuuules. I love castlevania of course, so there's that. But in my opinion there are no reused sprites, unless you count the wolf from SotN as being reused. Everything looks redrawn to me. Right now with just the cursory play, it seems as though you have three action buttons: attack, jump and special attack. special attack is dependent on what weapon you have - this spear thing slices three times, a tiny sword does a flashy attack, etc. You start the game outside in the snow, and the parallax scrolling roxxorz. the graphics are really crisp and really nice, with more background interactivity, ie hopping up onto small platforms ala Drac X for PCE. Lots of detail. Some enemies explode in different ways depending on how you hit them.

Then for the touch screen stuff - it works well! The first skill you get allows you to break 'crystal blocks' with the stylus. Basically, you see a bunch of blocks and you have to 'draw' a path through them that you can jump through, or guide yourself to a certain area, etc. Then you get seals, which allow you access to the boss (this is somewhat concerning, as it might make the gameplay linear? I'm hoping that one seal can be used for all the bosses in the general area til you get the skill you'd need to be in the other areas anyway. if that makes sense). When you beat the boss, you draw the pattern on the seal, and the boss dies. I actually found it somewhat exhilerating to do so, not sure why.

Oh yeah, right shoulder summons a familiar at the moment, and up+attack yeilds a soul-based special attack, ie a blob floating across and damaging, or an arrow skeleton shooting. But it's always independent of you, it seems, so you can set one up and keep going. left trigger does.........I forget?

I saw some of the skills in the movie, and they're fucking cool. Like there's a ragdoll you can throw, then you warp to that spot and attack the enemy from behind. rockin. you can also do this to avoid obstacles.

in the demo you start with double-jump and slide, not sure about the final.

ummmmmmm I think that's it for now. couldn't hear the music, no headphones!!

--

Rengoku - it still sucks, and I can't imagine what the hell they were thinking with this. Hudsonnnnnnnnn I used to love you!!

--

Frogger DS - didn't play it. Looked normal.

--

Enthusia - so many cars! They have a delorian! or however it's spelled. Really cool physics indicator and grip info, and they have a merit system that allows you to stick with one car instead of having to upgrade, based on this potential/percentages thing I don't really understand. Decent music, lots of modes, including one where you must hit green bars on the track to a certain timing, ala DDRish stuff.

--

winning 11 8 - didn't play.

--

uh, I think that's it!

I talked to IGA - he hates me now. He was cool when I was just saying I was a fan and stuff, but then when I started asking him about his collaboration with Mana of Malice Mizer which had seemingly disappeared from everything, he suddenly got really dodgy, and ultimately just said 'look forward to the DS game' and IGNORED ME after that. Touchy subject, I guess! His business card is cool.

ok bai
--

[edit]
iga needed ika. yayay

[this message was edited by exodus on Fri 28 Jan 11:20]

Replies:

Grahf
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Fri 28 Jan 16:04post reply

There's some more info at Gamespot too. The new features for Castlevania sound fun to me, and the Gamespot reviewer says the music is up to par.

Iggy
5617th Post

"Re(2):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Fri 28 Jan 17:30post reply

I'm currently waiting for SH4 2 and GS4 2, who would have the improved MGS3 bugs in the japanese version.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Sensenic
1279th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Fri 28 Jan 18:56:post reply

quote:
There's some more info at Gamespot too. The new features for Castlevania sound fun to me, and the Gamespot reviewer says the music is up to par.

!!

I... I just don't know what to say...

Except for the rather silly (IMO) crystal blocks, and some SotN sprites reused (the werewolf, as exodus pointed, those big dogs from the entrance and some archers I saw in the first pics) this game looks just... just... I want it badly.

As a stupid fact, when double jumping Soma spins, like the green ninja in my beloved GG Shinobi! (Nostalgia....)

EDIT: Uh... Just saw the art... I guess you could say Kojima's not behind this one. Wasn't someone around here asking for the artist from DracX? His dream could've become true... Who could've guessed...

Nikochan dono.

Nihon mo ingenmame wo tsukurimasu Jan

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Fri 28 Jan 19:11]

DarkZero
1062th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Fri 28 Jan 20:43post reply

quote:

EDIT: Uh... Just saw the art... I guess you could say Kojima's not behind this one. Wasn't someone around here asking for the artist from DracX? His dream could've become true... Who could've guessed...

Whoa.

I'm not sure if I absolutely hate that art, or think it's kind of nifty in a crude "early '90s Marvel comic" sort of way. Did you happen to see any dialogue screens, Exodus? Or maybe the pause screen? I'm wondering if the in-game art looks like Ayami Kojima's work, or this new stuff.

If it's changed, that'll be interesting, but it would be kind of disappointing if we never got to see Soma's "I am -Spoiler-" portrait again. That was one badass piece of art, right there.

legalstep
36th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Sat 29 Jan 03:27post reply

Was MGAc!d there? If it was would you have played it?

Castlevania sounds good.

Red Falcon
5367th Post

"Re(4):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Sat 29 Jan 03:54post reply

quote:
I'm not sure if I absolutely hate that art, or think it's kind of nifty in a crude "early '90s Marvel comic" sort of way.
Actually, it really reminds me of the Drac X art, except it doesn't have Ryu in it.

Best site EVER: Link Here

IkariDC
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Sat 29 Jan 05:43post reply

Wow, can't wait to get Castlevania DS!!

quote:

I talked to IGA - he hates me now. He was cool when I was just saying I was a fan and stuff, but then when I started asking him about his collaboration with Mana of Malice Mizer which had seemingly disappeared from everything, he suddenly got really dodgy, and ultimately just said 'look forward to the DS game' and IGNORED ME after that. Touchy subject, I guess! His business card is cool.

That's too uncool! He just could have tell you he didn't want to speak about it, what's about that attitude? So, there was that interview with Mana and him at the official site of Harmony, which I don't know about what they were talking, then a friend told me Mana did some tunes for the game but he is not credited in the game (as far as I know) neither in the OST. What happened? Exodus, please tell me what you know or what you don't know about this matter, or any of your guesses.

quote:

It was Sano who requested just that! I don't like at all these designs... Damn you Sano, now I really hate you!

Pollyanna
796th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Sat 29 Jan 07:29post reply

Yeah, Castlevania isn't gothic and stylish, so I think that this new art is much more appropriate. After all, Castlevania has always had an "Amateur CG, cheap anime, made for kids Megaman" feel to me.

exodus
2378th Post

"Re(7):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Sat 29 Jan 09:07post reply

quote:
Yeah, Castlevania isn't gothic and stylish, so I think that this new art is much more appropriate. After all, Castlevania has always had an "Amateur CG, cheap anime, made for kids Megaman" feel to me.

I disagree with you completely. HAH.

and kojima was there, so I think she did it? I dunno. there was no pause screen at this early stage.

metal gear acid was there...I forgot to play it!! but I talked to shinta nojiri a lot, and he was a really cool guy.

incidentally I cleared the air with iga - we're cool again.

DarkZero
1063th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(8):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Sat 29 Jan 09:36post reply

quote:

and kojima was there, so I think she did it? I dunno. there was no pause screen at this early stage.

There's a pause screen on this Magic Box page. Craptacular Dracula X (I actually like it LESS than Dracula X) style is in full effect.

drugeater
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Wed 2 Feb 04:35post reply

quote:

I didn't make it to the presentations, only the rainy after party.
I'm curious about the MM collaboration. This is the first I've heard of it. What's the story?
What is his card like? Is it cooler than Yamaoka's "Silent Hill girl in a wheelchair" card?

tenguman
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Konami gamers' day impressions" , posted Wed 2 Feb 06:14post reply

Soma's sprite is nothing more than an Dracula X Alucard rehash.

グッジョブ again Konami!

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」