The future of Capcom...? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2779 Views )

Red Falcon
5365th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 13:24:post reply

http://boards.ign.com/PS2_General_Board/b5023/77487337/?97

"According to last weeks Famitsu Magazine, Capcom is now liquidating their assets after the low sales of Viewtiful Joe 2, Onimusha 3, and a disappointing first week for Resident Evil 4. It seems likely that Devil May Cry 3 could be their last big budget project. Unless RE4 picks up and DMC3 sells huge, Capcom could be done for."

Edit: I wonder if it's true? Might not be.. but still curious news.. Sad, if it's true. :(

Edit edit: Can anybody confirm this as true or bunk?

Best site EVER: Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Tue 25 Jan 13:38]

Replies:

Shin_ATproof
1135th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 13:33post reply

This is the first time I've heard that Onimusha 3 and Viewtiful Joe 2 sold poorly...I was under the impression that they did rather well.
I'm also surprised to hear that Biohazard 4 didn't sell well...but then again crummy sales shouldn't have been that much of a surprise. I figured even with the eager anticipation and hype of this fantastic game, I imagined that the stupid stupid stupid idea of making the main Biohazard games Gamecube exclusives would continue to bite Capcom in the ass.
Devil May Cry 3 will probably be another awesome game and since its on a system with a much larger user base it will probably sell more than Biohazard 4 could ever hope for.

Either way, I doubt any of this will have a truly lasting effect on Capcom, at least not enough to kill the company.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Undead Fred
2041th Post

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 13:46post reply

quote:
I'm also surprised to hear that Biohazard 4 didn't sell well...but then again crummy sales shouldn't have been that much of a surprise. I figured even with the eager anticipation and hype of this fantastic game, I imagined that the stupid stupid stupid idea of making the main Biohazard games Gamecube exclusives would continue to bite Capcom in the ass.
Devil May Cry 3 will probably be another awesome game and since its on a system with a much larger user base it will probably sell more than Biohazard 4 could ever hope for.

Either way, I doubt any of this will have a truly lasting effect on Capcom, at least not enough to kill the company.

The fact that they're getting rid of their big-name games is a bad sign, though. It sucks to hear that RE4's not doing well, but as you said, it was an exclusive on a console that has more "kid-friendly" types of games. I hope they don't go under, but if they're not making any more Street Fighter or RE games, I'm not sure I care anymore.

I'm hoping that Playmore or someone else like that will pick them up if they do actually die, though.

D`Cloud
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 15:03post reply

why make re4 ngc exclusive anyway?

Where Life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live.
the empty room

JLG
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 15:04post reply

But isn't RE4 coming out for the PS2 sometime soon? GameCube seems to be doing bad in general, if RE4 comes to the PS2, things might pick back up. Maybe some people are waiting for any extras exclusive to the PS2 (like Dante in PS2-Viewtiful Joe).

But maybe it would be a good thing for Playmore to snatch up Capcom properties - they might get more use of it than Capcom is of late. They seem to do a respectable job of handling SNK.

OYashiroForever
814th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 15:22post reply

A sad, but inevitable outcome. I would pile on, but out of respect for the company that gave us Megaman, Bionic Commando, Strider, and Street Fighter, I will bite my tongue.

My only hope, if this is true, is that the good licenses that Capcom hasn't already desecrated beyond salvation can be salvaged by some well-meaning publisher.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Saiki
155th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 17:34post reply

Capcom went from a really good company to mainstream appealing company and lost alot of really good employee's
it would be a shame if they did go down...
but they really dont have any of their old talent left anymore......

Bata kun
2470th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 17:45post reply

quote:
Capcom went from a really good company to mainstream appealing company and lost alot of really good employee's
it would be a shame if they did go down...
but they really dont have any of their old talent left anymore......

Sad, but true. Capcom can't go down now. There are plenty of good memories I still need to have.

Whatever did happen to that "Pocket Monsters" clone they had a while back?

NARUTO
2889th Post

"Re(4):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 18:42post reply

I dodn't know if it's true or not, but last time I've checked WJ2 and Oni3 sells were good. in europe it was even hard to have an oni3 copy for a time.

As for RE4 and DMC they're some of the most awaited games for PS2 and GC.

And what about Okami, shadow of rome, Demento...and with all those megaman stuff
I hardly can belive that capcom is dead now...

The biggest Talent it's to make peoples belive you're talented...

Iggy
5569th Post

"Re(1):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 19:01post reply

VFJ2 isn't very good to begin with (well, it's as good as the first game), it re-uses huge parts of it, and it was released at a dangerous time (mid December). On one hand, I don't think they had huge expectations for it, and on the other I don't think it cost half as much as the first one.
Onimusha didn't sold 3 bazillion copies as they hoped, but it did well enough against Musô 3. I think it's a million seller in Japan, at least ? On the other hand, it was so expensive maybe it wasn't enough (doubt it though).
As for Bio 4... The idea of Bio on GC was rotten to begin with. If the game is good, it'll pick up in Japan at least. In the US, where the GC = kiddies is stronger... hum.

Either way, with 2 more GBA Rockman games coming, that reuse massive amounts of code from the prequels and sell as much as Onimusha 3, they are not going down before long.
NOT BEFORE THEY RELEASE GSDS AT LEAST.

And beside, I'm losing interest in a company I used to love and now failed to release even one game that interest me in a whole year (and should continue to do so until the half of 2005). At least they are not Konami yet.

Another note: The more I think of it, the more I think the company is doing well, but the yakusas who hold it want it to make more money. They may simply not making enough money for their greedy bosses, who want to turn Capcom into an EA like evil company who’s big because it’s big, not because it makes good games.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

exodus
2376th Post

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 19:19post reply

I dunno, they had a game in the top 10 for 2004, and 7 in the top 100. I think they will be ok...konami only had like 9 I think.

Iggy
5572th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 19:41post reply

quote:
I dunno, they had a game in the top 10 for 2004, and 7 in the top 100. I think they will be ok...konami only had like 9 I think.

And beside
1st - Nintendo - 7.33 million games sold, 28 titles.
2nd - Square Enix - 6.41 million games sold, 10 titles.
3rd - Pokemon Company - 4.34 million games sold, 5 titles.
4th - Konami - 2.99 million games sold, 6 titles.
5th - Capcom - 2.20 million games sold, 7 titles.

There is nothing to be ashamed of. Or only when you're a greedy yakusa who don't give shit about games.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Time Mage
2040th Post

"Re(5):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 19:45post reply

What I really don't understand about Capcom's politics with RE4 is why they announced the PS2 RE4 before releasing the GC RE4. That has surely hurt their sales.

Count Hihihi
28th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 20:45post reply

What I do not understand is why people do not let licenses/properties just die with the company/creators. Why not just appreciate what you got and wish for something new?

OMG STREET FIGHTA BY SNK, right?
You don't want a fighting game. You want a fighting game where the character is called Ryu.

Anyway, this sounds like some CRAPCOM H8RZ are spreading their propaganda..

highlandcattle
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 22:16post reply

Well if capcom goes under (which it think is just a PS2 fanboy looking for some attention) I'm for one am glad that Clover Studio is independant right know.I wonder who owns most of the shares

my blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/highlandcattle /

Joe Randel
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 23:08post reply

-Capcom's doing poorly.
-SNK is no more (except for Playmore).
-Sega doesn't make consoles and is now stepping out of the sports game genre.
-EA is trying to top the game industry with shady business.
-Game sales over all seem to be down.

Are we looking at the end of days for video games? Oh, how I long for the days of my NES and SNES. Those where my golden years...

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Ishmael
1794th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 23:25post reply

quote:
-Game sales over all seem to be down.

According to data reported today by industry analyst The NPD Group, the video game industry saw $9.9 billion in combined hardware and software sales in 2004, down less than one percent from $10 billion in 2003. Wow, I wish I could fail like that!

vava
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 23:31post reply

i'm pretty sure this info is FAKE!

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=920607&topic=18870980

Iggy
5574th Post

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 23:39post reply

quote:
Are we looking at the end of days for video games? Oh, how I long for the days of my NES and SNES. Those where my golden years...

Things are definitely changing. According to my crackeling turtle shells, we may be going to a future with huge EA-like corporations and very small independant studios, now that everybody and their likes is calling themselves "game creator".
Many of these small studios will just make pretentious bullshit that just make the same games with a quirky gimmick (Clover, I'm looking at you) but some of them will really make interesting, low profile but original games. Some of those creators will be sucked into the studios, some will do garbage from then but others will continue to do original things inside those big corporations. People like Toyama, Takushu or Takahashi (Keita) are some of them.

Hollywood vs small independant foreign studios, once again.
I feel depressed.

○
<|  ○|\
_ト○| ̄ヒ|_

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Iggy
5575th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Tue 25 Jan 23:40post reply

Shit ! I made a mistake in my AA !

○| ̄|_

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Ammadeau
1267th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 00:33post reply

quote:

After a long session of Mercenaries and playing the Darkwatch demo for the nth time, I have to assume this is sarcasm.

If we mean specificly Capcom, then they can die for all I care, but they won't as long as they can milk Megaman and Resident Evil.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Fuchikoma
1200th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 01:50post reply

I'm not worried.... Capcom makes plenty of money from other things besides games... they have a crap load of merchandise that always seems to sell, they license out their properties for anime like Rockman Exe, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Viewtiful Joe... not to mention Hollywood... there are rumors of a Devil May Cry movie right? Well who cares, Van Damme's next Street Fighter movie will make so much money anyway... Capcom's got nothing to worry about.

HAYATO
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 02:22post reply

quote:
Well who cares, Van Damme's next Street Fighter movie will make so much money anyway... Capcom's got nothing to worry about.

What? Is there going to be a sequel?

I hope you are kidding....but deep inside me I wish it was true...

Red Falcon
5365th Post

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 03:59post reply

quote:

Hopefully! Still haven't had anybody confirm if it was there or not.. I want proof before I believe it.

Oroch
793th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:06post reply

quote:

Hopefully! Still haven't had anybody confirm if it was there or not.. I want proof before I believe it.

crapcom lol!

Red Falcon
5366th Post

"Re(4):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:16post reply

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showpost.php?p=922630&postcount=162

Seems like this rumour was fake. Thank goodness!

ONSLAUGHT
3225th Post

"Re(5):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:18post reply

quote:
http://forums.gaming-age.com/showpost.php?p=922630&postcount=162

Seems like this rumour was fake. Thank goodness!

Thank God! I was about to slit my wrists.

Undead Fred
2043th Post

"The future of Capcom is SADNESS." , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:22:post reply

I just wish they'd actually put the effort in to make NEW stuff with their old franchises instead of massive amounts of recycling. Well yeah, I guess I'm mostly talking about their fighting games... that was their strongest point, in my opinion. And of course, their old-school stuff like Mega Man and Bionic Commando. And Resident Evil. Heh heh.

Whether they're dying or not, I hope they manage to get their act together... I'd hate to see one of my favorite game companies die out, but I hate to see them go completely stale at the same time.

EDIT: FALSE RUMOR

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Wed 26 Jan 04:23]

Bata kun
2476th Post

"Re(1):The future of Capcom is SADNESS." , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:23post reply

quote:
I just wish they'd actually put the effort in to make NEW stuff with their old franchises instead of massive amounts of recycling. Well yeah, I guess I'm mostly talking about their fighting games... that was their strongest point, in my opinion. And of course, their old-school stuff like Mega Man and Bionic Commando. And Resident Evil. Heh heh.

Whether they're dying or not, I hope they manage to get their act together... I'd hate to see one of my favorite game companies die out, but I hate to see them go completely stale at the same time.

EDIT: FALSE RUMOR

Amen to that!

Ishmael
1796th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):The future of Capcom is LOVE." , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:35post reply

In the end it all turned out to be a rumor. This goes to show why you should never, ever believe anything you read on an internet message board.

Pollyanna
784th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom is LOVE." , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:45post reply

quote:
In the end it all turned out to be a rumor. This goes to show why you should never, ever believe anything you read on an internet message board.

I don't believe you. I don't believe anything I read on an internet messageboard.

But...does that mean Capcom is going out of business or not?

EddyT
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 05:05post reply

quote:

○
<|  ○|\
_ト○| ̄ヒ|_

HAYATO
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 05:24post reply

quote:

○
<|  ○|\
_ト○| ̄ヒ|_

Iron D
2592th Post

"Re(5):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 07:09post reply

Oh, come on. Game companies have been in much, much worse situations and continued to function. Cap isn't even at having to file for bankruptcy. If this is the start of a decline that will lead to Capcom's demise, it'll take at least another couple of years.

Zelkin. Pimped.

sushi_bunny
343th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 10:54post reply

I really think they need to make Marvel Vs. Capcom #3, and put that in arcades. Hopefully that will boost sales. Either that or make a completely new fighting game.

I feel the same way that Capcom is fading away fast.

By the way, what is CRMK/Bengus doing now?

sushi

KTallguy
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:04post reply

quote:
I really think they need to make Marvel Vs. Capcom #3, and put that in arcades. Hopefully that will boost sales. Either that or make a completely new fighting game.

Nix the first choice... I don't don't want to see another one of those...

I think what they need to do is come out with Street Fighter 4. It needs to have the 2D animation of SF3 with the high-res sprites of GGX. It also has to have a new and interesting system which will be very difficult to come up with... I've been racking my brain as to what they could possibly add to 2D fighting games that would make them better than SF3 =)

Maybe scrap the existing system and rebuild it from the ground up...? Change the concept of what a fighter should be? After all, that's what Capcom did with SF2 right? Maybe change blocking completely, change the 'combo' system completly. Make a game with more dodging and 3D elements? I honestly have no clue/idea/concept of what I'm talking about, but I can't wait for SF4 to come out. Isn't Capcom said to be currently working on it?

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Pollyanna
785th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:12post reply

1: Capcom no longer has the right to produce Marvel games.

2: Last I heard, when (someone in) Capcom was asked about Street Fighter 4 they said "it's a possibility". This was at a 15th Anniversary event and before they sold the rights to Street Fighter to Capcom of America.

KTallguy
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:16post reply

quote:
1: Capcom no longer has the right to produce Marvel games.

2: Last I heard, when (someone in) Capcom was asked about Street Fighter 4 they said "it's a possibility". This was at a 15th Anniversary event and before they sold the rights to Street Fighter to Capcom of America.

Wait, so ALL of the rights to Street Fighter have left Capcom Japan's hands? They can't make SF4?

Well crap... that sucks. I really liked 3.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Pollyanna
787th Post

"Re(5):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:31post reply

quote:

Wait, so ALL of the rights to Street Fighter have left Capcom Japan's hands? They can't make SF4?

Well crap... that sucks. I really liked 3.

I have no idea what this means, really. It's such an odd move that I can't figure out what the consequences are. The idea is that Capcom of Japan is disinterested in making another SF game and if one was produced (by either an American or Japanese team), Capcom of America would handle/fund it.

These are sad times, as Capcom of America is probably my least favorite company ever.

sushi_bunny
345th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:33post reply

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nix the first choice... I don't don't want to see another one of those...

-thats both a plus and minus -
+++i liked the aerial raves of mvs cap 2.+++

alas, on the other hand,

----they might have characters that are awkward or don't coordinate with the combo system ( i so like that chain combo system but my wrists and hands hurt after awhile)---

Like if they throw in Ingrid, (sigh...)I don't think she would fit in the aerial raves when doing all those confusing combos.

BTW, I felt she was a carbon copy of Athena. Not to mention her character design was very good.

sushi

Sano
1400th Post

"The future of Capcom is OK." , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:46post reply

More evidence the article is false if you need it.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/582/582611p1.html

crazymike
1068th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):The future of Capcom is OK." , posted Wed 26 Jan 12:20post reply

Personally I would rather see a Marvel Superheroes 2 rather than Marvel v.s Capcom 3.

However, Konami found success resurrecting Metal Gear. Why can't Capcom bring back Bionic Commando?

Sano
1401th Post

"Re(2):The future of Capcom is OK." , posted Wed 26 Jan 12:38post reply

quote:
Personally I would rather see a Marvel Superheroes 2 rather than Marvel v.s Capcom 3.

However, Konami found success resurrecting Metal Gear. Why can't Capcom bring back Bionic Commando?

Forget Marvel. EA has the rights for Marvel fighters. EA's making, working title, "Marvel vs. EA." EAs gonna make heroes to fight Marvel, and then Marvel will take those heroes and make comic books out of them. Gamefaqs claims the game will be 2D on the info they have for it, but if EA starts drawing sprites I swear I will feint!

There was talk about Capcom making a 3D Bionic Commando game some time ago, not sure what happened with that.

I want a new Section Z! 2D of course. I loved that game...

Sano
1403th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom is OK." , posted Wed 26 Jan 12:51post reply

As far as Marvel crossovers go, all I want is Marvel vs. DC no matter who makes it. Fat chance it will happen right now. DC won't do any crossovers with Marvel until Quesada retires. They are even continuing the Avengers/JLA crossover... without the Avengers, Marvel, or Marvel characters! I find the irony very comedic that CFE also uses Shin Gouki from CVS2, without SNK! I want God Rugal in NGBC Damn it, LOL!

Pollyanna
789th Post

"Re(3):The future of Capcom is OK." , posted Wed 26 Jan 12:55post reply

quote:

I want a new Section Z! 2D of course. I loved that game...

YES. But it has to be as amazing as the original was when it came out. Man, I really loved the ending theme to that game.

Variable Savior
248th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):The future of Capcom is OK." , posted Thu 27 Jan 04:56post reply

I'm amazed to see all the love for Section Z. Personally I really hated that game. Of course, that might be because I was hoping it was actually a home version of Side Arms...

Blood marks heaven's path

lunatic
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The future of Capcom...?" , posted Thu 27 Jan 07:16post reply

On the contrary, i think Capcom need to come up w/ some new titles. THey've milked enough the living &)@* outta all those old titles like SF, RE, and maybe even DMC for that matter. These titles, and couple more, has earned them some momentous glory but they can't live on it forever. So move on and be creative again! I think what made those games successful was coz they were surprisingly innovative compare to other games. But RE for say, ever since the cause of zombies were revealed to be 'scientific experiments' and all that mumbo jumbo, it just don't feel the same playin' it anymore. I see some effort Capcom has put forth to maintain the fame of their titles, but just look at those ridiculous plots and ... i don't even wanna talk about it.

honestly i wouldn't be surprise if they're runnin' outta cash. But really who knows how rich these guys are

You've been very bad~ Now off to the gas chamber!