Samurai Western - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2062 Views )

Pollyanna
777th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 08:09post reply

Oh Iggy's request, here is my Samurai Western thread.

Has anyone played this? I thought it was quite excellent. Well, maybe "excellent" is a stretch, but it was wildly enjoyable. I was happy to play a game that didn't make me have to think at all. I'm tired of looking for things and doing menial tasks and solving puzzles and protecting people and whatever other "clever" thing they do in every game these days. I was happy just to kill people as quickly as possible.

And, I guess that's all there is to the game. The enemies keep coming and you keep killing them. It's very fast, it plays very well (though the framerate suffers at times) and there's a lot of variety in weapons...or rather, fighting styles. I used the "no handguard" type of style (like Tachibana Ukyou) which was very very fast, veryvery strong and knocked the framerate down veryvery much in some instances of extreme carnage.

The accessories are fun, too...you get lots of hats and masks and stuff like that. I was pretty excited to get a parror for my back, then a monkey by the end of the game. Also, it has "extra" versions of every level, hidden characters (that I can't manage to get), a decent soundtrack and...and...the main character looks cool. Also, it's mostly in English (Japanese subtitles can't seem to capture cowboy talk), excluding the lines between the two Japanese characters.

This sounded like a review, even though I asked if people had played it. To those who have...how do you get the other characters? Is this just a hoax!!?

Replies:

war
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 08:14post reply

2get!

I'm glad it doesn't suck that much!

I am also happy there is a iai stance or whatever!

Gojira
1612th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 09:43post reply

Never heard of it. Who's the developer?

Off with your nose

Spoon
741th Post

"Re(2):Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 12:17post reply

quote:

The same people that made the Way of the Samurai games... for which some fans of those games blasted this game.

Pollyanna
779th Post

"Re(3):Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 12:26post reply

quote:

The same people that made the Way of the Samurai games... for which some fans of those games blasted this game.

That makes sense. I haven't really played Samurai Michi enough to be irritated by what's different. I think people who play the game fresh will have a better outlook...or people who don't see it as a Samurai Michi game.

ONSLAUGHT
3222th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"NO" , posted Tue 25 Jan 13:25post reply

quote:
I'm tired of looking for things and doing menial tasks and solving puzzles and protecting people and whatever other "clever" thing they do in every game these days.

To make a long story short: "I didn't like Resident Evil 4"

Pollyanna
780th Post

"Re(1):NO" , posted Tue 25 Jan 15:38post reply

quote:

To make a long story short: "I didn't like Resident Evil 4"

Actually, I can't wait to play it, but...the things I mentioned you have to do in like every game that comes out these days. I'm not saying I don't like games that have those features, I'm just saying it's nice to have a break from that sort of thing.

ONSLAUGHT
3223th Post

"Re(2):NO" , posted Tue 25 Jan 15:47post reply

quote:

Actually, I can't wait to play it, but...the things I mentioned you have to do in like every game that comes out these days. I'm not saying I don't like games that have those features, I'm just saying it's nice to have a break from that sort of thing.

Sorry, I thought you were making fun of RE4, since it has every thing you mentioned.
In any case, it's fun to play mindless games from time to time.
And to think old games were like that.
Oh well, the future is now.

Iggy
5566th Post

"Re(4):Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 18:44post reply

Thanks !
Hummm. I'll still think I'll pass.
quote:
That makes sense. I haven't really played Samurai Michi

Also, really cool kids call them "samurai dô". Yeah, I know, it hurts my mouth every time I say it.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Ishmael
1795th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Samurai Western" , posted Tue 25 Jan 23:51post reply

Thanks for the not-quite review of Samurai Western. I'm still not sure about the game since it sounds like a such radical departure from the previous games but if you can still equip your samurai with a parrot accessory it can't be all bad.

Pollyanna
782th Post

"Re(5):Samurai Western" , posted Wed 26 Jan 02:25post reply

quote:
Thanks !
Hummm. I'll still think I'll pass.
Also, really cool kids call them "samurai dô". Yeah, I know, it hurts my mouth every time I say it.

What else are the cool kids doing?

You need to have rich friends so that you can play every game that comes out. Or maybe you should get what we call a "Sugar Daddy" in Americaland.

ONSLAUGHT
3224th Post

"Mmmmmhh..." , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:12post reply

quote:
Or maybe you should get what we call a "Sugar Daddy" in Americaland.

I thought JJJ was your Suggar Daddy, or is he a stinking liar?

Pollyanna
783th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmmhh..." , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:43post reply

quote:

Do you even need to ask that question? Of course he's a stinking liar, but that may or may not have anything to do with being a sugar daddy.

KTallguy
483th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Samurai Western" , posted Wed 26 Jan 08:21post reply

I'm not sure what this is called in Japanese... but does it involve first selecting a mission and then the buddies that will go with you on the mission, and play out Sengoku Musou style? If that's the case, I've played it...unfortunately...

The game I played had one attack button, a block guard button, and a button used for parrying. It also had a button for telling your buddies to move forward. I don't know the system very well yet, but it seemed too simple. Combat consisted of jamming on the attack button, and every time I tried to block or parry it didn't work... maybe I just don't know the system.

I thought that Way of the Samurai 1 could have been really really good if they polished the fighting engine, made the story longer and better, and overall polished the game. This is the opposite, they totally scrapped the concept and made it very simple, something that I wish people would stop doing. I'm still not sure if it's the same game though... let me know if this sounds right.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Spoon
742th Post

"Re(2):Samurai Western" , posted Wed 26 Jan 09:47post reply

quote:
I'm not sure what this is called in Japanese... but does it involve first selecting a mission and then the buddies that will go with you on the mission, and play out Sengoku Musou style? If that's the case, I've played it...unfortunately...

The game I played had one attack button, a block guard button, and a button used for parrying. It also had a button for telling your buddies to move forward. I don't know the system very well yet, but it seemed too simple. Combat consisted of jamming on the attack button, and every time I tried to block or parry it didn't work... maybe I just don't know the system.

I thought that Way of the Samurai 1 could have been really really good if they polished the fighting engine, made the story longer and better, and overall polished the game. This is the opposite, they totally scrapped the concept and made it very simple, something that I wish people would stop doing. I'm still not sure if it's the same game though... let me know if this sounds right.

What you describe could be Samurai Warriors, a bastard offshoot of the Dynasty Warriors series.

Samurai Western takes place in the ol' Wild West. Like Rising Zan, except minus all the zanyness and sexiness.

KTallguy
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Samurai Western" , posted Wed 26 Jan 10:58post reply

No, it's not the Dynasty Warriors one, that one feels much more fluid than this one... maybe it's a different game entirely... next time I go to the rental shop I'll write down the name and look it up...

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Pollyanna
786th Post

"Re(4):Samurai Western" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:14post reply

quote:
No, it's not the Dynasty Warriors one, that one feels much more fluid than this one... maybe it's a different game entirely... next time I go to the rental shop I'll write down the name and look it up...

It sounds like this Shinsengumi game I played that follows the same engine as...is it Samurai Michi? I don't remember. I didn't think it was much like Sangoku Musou, though. Either way, it wasn't any fun.

However, if you ARE looking for a Sangoku Musou ripoff game (though I don't know why anyone would be) check out Yoshitsune Eiyuuden which is as beautiful as it is disappointing.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3297th Post

"Re(2):Mmmmmhh..." , posted Wed 26 Jan 14:17post reply

quote:

Do you even need to ask that question? Of course he's a stinking liar, but that may or may not have anything to do with being a sugar daddy.

bitch! i ain't payin you to talk!

now get back on that corner and make some money

"The earth has become a grave of rotten sticks."

Iggy
5583th Post

"Re(5):Samurai Western" , posted Wed 26 Jan 18:12post reply

quote:
It sounds like this Shinsengumi game I played that follows the same engine as...is it Samurai Michi?

Is it the same engine of Samurai Mi... Samurai or is it Kengô ?

I think the team who makes those Shinsengumi games are the ones behind Kengô...

JJJ = ♥

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Gojira
1615th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Samurai Western" , posted Thu 27 Jan 17:33post reply

quote:

Acquire/ Spike? I thought they were making that free-roaming ninja game I was looking forward to.

Off with your nose

legalstep
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Samurai Western" , posted Sat 29 Jan 03:21post reply

quote:

However, if you ARE looking for a Sangoku Musou ripoff game (though I don't know why anyone would be) check out Yoshitsune Eiyuuden which is as beautiful as it is disappointing.

Thank you for summing up my thoughts exactly. I played the demo the other day it left me puzzled and confused.