Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2952 Views )

Juke Joint Jezebel
3283th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 10:34post reply

is it just me, or is this game four credits to play everywhere? the game looks gorgeous, the "hook your ps controller" option is a great addition, and god i want to play it really bad. but i'm not gonna fork over a fucking dollar so i can (probably) die after the second match

and jesus, Kasumi (Asuka?) fucking rocks. everything she does is so god damn beautiful, "sidestepping" and "pivoting" her way to my hard dick. i've never seen aikido portrayed more accurately in any other game before. it's just too bad everyone that picks her just mashes to get combos out. i would really, really love to see some counters/throws. one guy did a throw (probably by accident, or maybe it was a normal throw) that looked like a fancy version of katatekosatori kokyunage. i soiled my pants. it was great

Salvation

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3211th Post

"Re(1):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 10:41post reply

quote:
i've never seen aikido portrayed more accurately in any other game before.

PRE-dictabo!

Spoon
722th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 11:27post reply

quote:
is it just me, or is this game four credits to play everywhere?

it's going to stay that way for awhile, given how much people are playing it. I'm hoping for something stupid to be found in the game that will cause people to abruptly stop playing it, and thus cause arcade ops to reduce the price.

quote:

except for Jun in TTT?

DarkZero
1051th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 11:32post reply

quote:
is it just me, or is this game four credits to play everywhere? the game looks gorgeous, the "hook your ps controller" option is a great addition, and god i want to play it really bad. but i'm not gonna fork over a fucking dollar so i can (probably) die after the second match

And people wonder why the arcade industry is dead. Gee, could it be because you waste so much money on your first time playing a game that you don't want to play it again until it comes out for a home console?

Saiki
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 11:51post reply

quote:

Or Aoi from VF

Amakusa
569th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:10post reply

I found a place that does the 50 cents a pop at the local mall arcade, so it's not too big a deal for me.

quote:

and jesus, Kasumi (Asuka?) fucking rocks.

Asuka is pretty much what I've been looking for in Tekken.

At one of the dollar arcades one of the employees was on his 15 minute break and he came over and challenged me, and dumped a ton of free credits into the machine to keep me from leaving (well, I admit, I wanted to play against someone, too). It was basically Asuka vs. Hwoarang for gods-knows-how-many-rounds with the advantage going back and forth so many times it wasn't even funny. The thing is I was actually learning how to use Asuka better just by going all these rounds, it made me feel a lot more confident about playing and experimenting 'n stuff without worrying about the machine ripping me off.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Juke Joint Jezebel
3285th Post

"Re(2):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:33post reply

it sickens me that everyone's milking this game for all it's worth. but i really don't know who to place the blame on here. maybe Namco if they put the four credits as default, or maybe it's a common number that some other group decided on. i don't know

quote:
except for Jun in TTT?

Or Aoi from VF

i was waiting for you people to come out

i played with Jun and Aoi before, and i don't remember them using their moves like that. key word, accurately. wait, let me do that again. key word, accurately. colors tend to stand out when placed next to a monochromatic setting

granted, i haven't played Virtua Fighter or Tekken Tag Tournament in ages, so please step up, put me in my place, and correct me if i'm wrong. (use examples as well.) asinine attitude aside, i am seriously interested in this

Salvation

Spoon
725th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:38post reply

quote:
it sickens me that everyone's milking this game for all it's worth. but i really don't know who to place the blame on here. maybe Namco if they put the four credits as default, or maybe it's a common number that some other group decided on. i don't know

Oh trust me, it gets much worse.

During their "new release" phase here in Vancouver:
Initial D v.1: $2 to start, $1 to continue
Initial D v.2: $2 to start, $2 to continue
Initial D v.3: $2 to start, $2 to continue, $4 to buy a card

...And people played, oh Lord, people played.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3286th Post

"Re(4):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:47post reply

quote:

but racing games are ... different, right? they pull this crap with DDR and Time Crisis. i just didn't expect it with fighting games, i guess

Salvation

Saiki
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:52post reply

quote:
i was waiting for you people to come out

i played with Jun and Aoi before, and i don't remember them using their moves like that. key word, accurately. wait, let me do that again. key word, accurately. colors tend to stand out when placed next to a monochromatic setting

granted, i haven't played Virtua Fighter or Tekken Tag Tournament in ages, so please step up, put me in my place, and correct me if i'm wrong. (use examples as well.) asinine attitude aside, i am seriously interested in this

I'm curious as to why you think Asuka is more of an accurate portrail of Aikido than Aoi. Granted, Aoi leans more towards Aiki-jujutsu which involves more striking, submissions and joint-locks than Aikido. But I find Aoi represented quite accurately

Spoon
726th Post

"Re(5):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 13:16post reply

quote:
but racing games are ... different, right? they pull this crap with DDR and Time Crisis. i just didn't expect it with fighting games, i guess

I dunno about how different Initial D is from Tekken 5 :)

Just think about it: the first two games of Initial D v.3 + card will cost you $8!
Even if those are Cdn. happy fun dollars, at it's worse it's still $6 US. And Initial D in single player is not a game you can play for tens of minutes straight on one credit... it's one race for one credit! And how many people are happy to play just ONE race?

Pollyanna
765th Post

"Re(6):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 13:42post reply

Racing game machines COST MORE don't they? That's why they cost more to play? Or have I been lied to all my life? I mean, they have CHAIRS.

Minuteman
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 13:42post reply

Everywhere around me, Tekken 5 is $.50 (US) to start and the same to continue. Some places are only $.25 to continue, which is great.

And w/ T5 and Initial D, I'm just a sucker for collecting things, so I buy the cards for the games no matter what. I just got my T5 card today and "locked in" Asuka for my character. I like her design, the moves (I'm a big Jun fan from the early Tekken days), and I look forward to customizing. Sure, it sucks that I paid $5 for the card and then dumped another $5 in quarters, but I don't mind. =)

Juke Joint Jezebel
3289th Post

"Re(4):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 14:09:post reply

quote:
Granted, Aoi leans more towards Aiki-jujutsu which involves more striking, submissions and joint-locks than Aikido. But I find Aoi represented quite accurately

and that's probably why. what i remember of Aoi is a lot of joint locks (or uh bone snapping in her case) and less "nages"

but, as always, i could be completely wrong. i rented Virtua Fighter once, and a couple of months afterwards, only played it for an hour or two with friends. one of them used Aoi the entire time, but he could have just been performing the same move over and over because i was too stupid to avoid it. as for Tekken 5, i've only seen the small footage of whoever had the guts to throw away a dollar, but Asuka used a lot of "pivoting" (i really wish i remembered the Japanese term for this) during her throws and regular movement. i'm guessing it can be used by itself as a "command move" as well, pressing both kicks or something, like Xiaoyu's "spin". anyways, this is just what i observed. seeing a couple of hours of one game and a couple of minutes of another doesn't make me an expert or anything

quote:
Some places are only $.25 to continue

that totally rocks. i've never seen that in all my life, but i know i'd be a continuing a hell of a lot more if i only had to pay half the price to finish my game. although, i guess it'd cheat the arcades a bit, especially if a couple of guys (who would gladly pay 50¢ for the game) only spent a handful of quarters to play against eachother for hours

EDIT:
time to play Tekken Tag. it's been a while since the last time i saw Jun in action. time to compare (and quench my Tekken thirst while i'm at it). i haven't been this excited ever since i bought that I-No figure

Salvation

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Fri 21 Jan 15:13]

Mozex
301th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 14:13post reply

quote:
it's going to stay that way for awhile, given how much people are playing it.

It seems to be remarkably un-popular around my neck of the woods.

Be kind to goblins.

Spoon
727th Post

"Re(7):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 14:45post reply

quote:
Everywhere around me, Tekken 5 is $.50 (US) to start and the same to continue. Some places are only $.25 to continue, which is great.

Bastards.

OmegaDog
1420th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 14:50post reply

quote:
And people wonder why the arcade industry is dead. Gee, could it be because you waste so much money on your first time playing a game that you don't want to play it again until it comes out for a home console?

High prices weren't what caused the downfall of an arcade close to my university. Prices there were damn cheap -- most games were one token, several two, a rare few for three. And if you got all your tokens on Tuesdays, you could essentially get 2 tokens for a quarter.

This is an arcade that had a wide range of games, from Q-bert, Mrs. Pac-Man, and Joust, to Tekken 4, Hydro Thunder, and Mocap Boxing. They even had a Neo-Geo machine with more-recent releases.

And I would spend several hours at a time there, playing SF3:3S, KOF '99, DDR, Metal Slug 3, Atari Tetris, etc. It was a damn good parlor -- and I remember when the place would be packed on the weekends.

But, ultimately, the arcade parlor failed. And this was in a college town, of all places.

Meanwhile, though, the Dave & Busters shops in the metro area around here still thrive, charging US$2.00 average for a game credit.

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Spoon
728th Post

"Re(7):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 14:50post reply

quote:
Racing game machines COST MORE don't they? That's why they cost more to play? Or have I been lied to all my life? I mean, they have CHAIRS.

However much they cost to buy/rent, there's clearly some kind of inflationary practice going on here which is due not to unpopularity, but rather the game's intense popularity.

I can only imagine how the homeless guy begging for change or scrounging up cans feels when he sees kids popping in toonies (yes, the Initial D machines accepted them here) for a few minutes of fun.

Dr Baghead
3351th Post

"Re(2):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 15:50post reply

quote:

Or Aoi from VF

Or Kano from MK:Deadly Allian.... oh never mind.

yeah it's not funny

Gojira
1604th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Fri 21 Jan 16:40post reply

The thing is, Tilt was one of the first arcade chains to get the game, and they started it at $1.00. Then every squeaky wheel in the Tekken community wrote letters of protest, and Tilt changed all their machines to 50 cents. So if there's a Tilt in your area you might want to try there.

And BTW Jun is not quite the same as Asuka.

Off with your nose

KTallguy
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 04:48post reply

quote:
Granted, Aoi leans more towards Aiki-jujutsu which involves more striking, submissions and joint-locks than Aikido. But I find Aoi represented quite accurately
and that's probably why. what i remember of Aoi is a lot of joint locks (or uh bone snapping in her case) and less "nages"

but, as always, i could be completely wrong. i rented Virtua Fighter once, and a couple of months afterwards, only played it for an hour or two with friends. one of them used Aoi the entire time, but he could have just been performing the same move over and over because i was too stupid to avoid it.

I am definately not an authority on Aikido, but Aoi has a ton of moves that look like Aikido. When you say pivot, you mean the spinning move to the side that Asuka does? Aoi has that too, but there can be a strike thrown in for good measure if you want. She also has a special stance where she can push away all mid and high non spinning punches and kicks. Sounds powerful, but it's risky to use...

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

exodus
2367th Post

"Re(2):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 05:56post reply

quote:

BURIKI ONE

WITH THAT ONE GUY

hikarutilmitt
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 05:56post reply

quote:

but, as always, i could be completely wrong. i rented Virtua Fighter once, and a couple of months afterwards, only played it for an hour or two with friends. one of them used Aoi the entire time, but he could have just been performing the same move over and over because i was too stupid to avoid it.

Aoi's Tenchi In'you stance deflects a ton of attacks and she spins away during some of them, or you can press up or down to do it manually. She has various animations and abilities during certain reversals, despite them having the same command. Yes, she does a lot of joint and limb snapping, but she has just as many evasion and positioning moves that are related to Aikido. And don't get me started on her throws.

Burning Kyo
2243th Post

"Re(3):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 07:06post reply

quote:

BURIKI ONE
WITH THAT ONE GUY

Saionji Takato !

[Live fast // Die young]

exodus
2370th Post

"Re(4):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 08:41post reply

quote:
Saionji Takato !

yessir, thanks for that.

Undead Fred
2023th Post

"Re(3):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 09:46post reply

quote:
And people wonder why the arcade industry is dead.

Meanwhile, though, the Dave & Busters shops in the metro area around here still thrive, charging US$2.00 average for a game credit.

I remember going into a Dave and Buster's and realizing that they were charging $1.50 a game for Ms. Pac-Man. MISS PAC-MAN. That's insane.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3292th Post

"Re(7):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 12:07post reply

quote:
And don't get me started on her throws.

ahaha i am entertained

Salvation

Iron D
2590th Post

"Re(4):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 12:35post reply

quote:
The thing is, Tilt was one of the first arcade chains to get the game, and they started it at $1.00. Then every squeaky wheel in the Tekken community wrote letters of protest, and Tilt changed all their machines to 50 cents. So if there's a Tilt in your area you might want to try there.

You beat me to it Gojira. There's a Tilt in a mall that's actually a good distance from me (almost a full county away), and T5 there is $.50. Do you live in So Cal, or is Tilt a national arcade chain? I was always under the impression that it was a local thing.

It warms my heart to see a Tekken game actually get this kind of attention on this board. I guess Namco did all the right things to actually get new fans interested. And all it took was the ability to make your character look like Terry...

Zelkin. Pimped.

Spoon
734th Post

"Re(5):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 12:39post reply

quote:

You beat me to it Gojira. There's a Tilt in a mall that's actually a good distance from me (almost a full county away), and T5 there is $.50. Do you live in So Cal, or is Tilt a national arcade chain? I was always under the impression that it was a local thing.

It warms my heart to see a Tekken game actually get this kind of attention on this board. I guess Namco did all the right things to actually get new fans interested. And all it took was the ability to make your character look like Terry...

POWA DUNK

I wish that all the asian kids from decent homes here were bigger pricks and would refuse to stand for the $1 ticket.

hikarutilmitt
292th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Tekken 5 -- DOLLARS EVERYWHERE" , posted Sat 22 Jan 18:00post reply

quote:

The Cyber Zones here in San Antonio are stupid as hell. They charge $1 per play, didn't have it discounted on half-price days til this week and charge $6 or some nonsense for the cards (which they still sold out of).

Then again, they seem to be proficient at fleecing the customers, so maybe it was smart as hell and not stupid.

sushi_bunny
344th Post

Bronze Customer

"Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5..." , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:11post reply

At Glfland, Sunnyvale, CA it was 5.00 to get a card or something to play tekken 5. I looked at my friend Olivia, and she said "oh hell no."

I thought the same thing, because that five dollars could go to my gas later on and probably even pay for my laundry money. It would even probably help me out when I see my gas meter falter to "E" when the gasoline icon flashes red!!

I think I would rather get a game pass from Blockbuster, (25.00 for multiple games to rent) and wait for it.

Not only that, Blockbuster is 5 minutes away from me while I can rent a new release movie at the same time. I know, I know, sometimes Blockbuster is far away from some people, but I just thought I would give some helpful advice.

I don't think it's a big deal - It seemed the same like Tekken 4 to me. Jeez, I am growing out of the arcade scene. Wow, things are outdated when you turn 30.

Back on tangent, even though I used to work for golfland, but then again, I can ask my friend rachel to give me her golfland fun tickets (10.00 worth of tokens) since they are worthless to her in Ohio...

But instead of paying 5.00 on tekken 5, i just played air hockey with her, and that basically was more fun than anything, since I won 6 to 4 against her (ha ha ^o^)

sushi

KTallguy
491th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:19post reply

It's funny how you get used to these things, but in Japan to get any game card it's always 5 bucks... it just feels like less because it's a 500yen coin =)

Tekken 5 isn't so bad... as much as I love VF I can't HATE Tekken... I feel childish when I do. I always get irked when people diss VF though. I guess tekken's system just doesn't work for me. However many, many people are playing tekken in Japan these days... many people are getting bored with VF... as soon as VF5 comes out that'll change =)

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

sushi_bunny
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:45post reply

Tekken 5 isn't so bad... as much as I love VF I can't HATE Tekken... I feel childish when I do. I always get irked when people diss VF though. I guess tekken's system just doesn't work for me.

Well, I liked VF too, I thought that it felt smoother than Tekken. For some reason, Tekken feels stiffer - I don't know why, but I am not dissing tekken, since I love King's moves!!!

Is that really true that you can hook up a PS2 controller to a tekken 5 arcade machine?

sushi

sushi

Juke Joint Jezebel
3296th Post

"Re(1):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 12:39post reply

quote:
Wow, things are outdated when you turn 30.

sushi

sushi

"The earth has become a grave of rotten sticks."

Pollyanna
788th Post

"Re(2):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 12:53post reply

quote:
It's funny how you get used to these things, but in Japan to get any game card it's always 5 bucks... it just feels like less because it's a 500yen coin =)

Yeah, well, every game is (at least) 100 yen in Japan unless you go to a "discount" arcade (of which I've only seen one, in Ikebukuro). It blew my mind to see crazy Akihabara punks (nerd punks?) playing Final Fight for like, a dollar a game.

Shyeim
228th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Iol Japan playing Tekken 5?" , posted Wed 26 Jan 18:09:post reply

quote:

Tekken 5 isn't so bad... as much as I love VF I can't HATE Tekken... I feel childish when I do. I always get irked when people diss VF though. I guess tekken's system just doesn't work for me. However many, many people are playing tekken in Japan these days... many people are getting bored with VF... as soon as VF5 comes out that'll change =)

Yep, VF is ignored around the world(except in Japan).

I wish VF was popular in Korea or in other countries, but no one care about VF.

lol Is Japan any good in Tekken?

Hmm, I thought Japanese players stopped playing Tekken after Tekken Tag, when they got owned by Jang Iksu.

[this message was edited by Shyeim on Wed 26 Jan 18:28]

Spoon
745th Post

"Re(3):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 18:49post reply

quote:
playing Final Fight for like, a dollar a game.

Wow, I'd like to meet these people.

Pollyanna
791th Post

"Re(4):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 19:22post reply

quote:

Wow, I'd like to meet these people.

Well, he looked like a punk and smoked cigarettes the whole time. Talk about a screwed up guy.

Toxico
4020th Post

"Re(5):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Wed 26 Jan 22:10post reply

quote:

I Play Final Fight, I don't pay 1US dollar neither do I smoke; but I do look like a punk >-<

For the records credits here are at 50 coins, 550 coins -> 1US dollar.

See??? He is a God...

KTallguy
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Thu 27 Jan 12:30post reply

quote:

For the records credits here are at 50 coins, 550 coins -> 1US dollar.

Holy crap that's cheap!!

Tekken is getting popular, they hold tournaments and stuff, but on a broad scale I don't know how it matches up to VF. VF is mainly played by serious people here, while Tekken is mainly those wasting time in a game center.

And there's nothing wrong with looking like a punk, smoking, and playing FF for a dollar. You can meet really cool people that dress like that... a lot of times that's just a 'fashion' that people have here... it doesn't necessarily reflect their personality.

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Gojira
1614th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Thu 27 Jan 17:21post reply

quote:

Tekken is getting popular, they hold tournaments and stuff, but on a broad scale I don't know how it matches up to VF. VF is mainly played by serious people here, while Tekken is mainly those wasting time in a game center.

Everything is played by serious people here, until they start hating it. Tekken has survived, others have not. We tried to get people to play VF Evo for a while, and it was working, but the game just wasn't exciting enough to keep anyone's interest. Sure it feels good to play, but VF's visual style still lacks any soul.

Off with your nose

Pollyanna
793th Post

"Re(8):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Thu 27 Jan 17:57post reply

I'm sorry, I misued the word "punk". If he looked like an actual punk, that would have been awesome. What I mean to say is that he looked like an asshole. Dirty, scowling type.

KTallguy
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Played Air Hockey instead of Tekken 5.." , posted Thu 27 Jan 19:15:post reply

quote:
I'm sorry, I misued the word "punk". If he looked like an actual punk, that would have been awesome. What I mean to say is that he looked like an asshole. Dirty, scowling type.

Got ya =)
I don't know if Seattle has a VF scene... Check www.virtuafighter.com if you want to look for people to play =)

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Thu 27 Jan 19:17]