Suggest any game challenges (handicaps, etc.) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1996 Views )

OmegaDog
1418th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Suggest any game challenges (handicaps, etc.)" , posted Fri 21 Jan 09:57post reply

I forget if we've done anything of the sort here already, but eh -- it's worth a shot. As per the thread title, throw out any suggestions for possibly-fun game challenges, in the form of handicaps or whatever else you might have in mind.

I'll throw one out there -- other folks might've already suggested it elsewhere:

- Run as far as you can through the original NES Castlevania using only the normal whip -- no weapon upgrades, no alternate weapons. [This might entail not hitting any of the candles, unless they may get in the way of fights.]

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Replies:

Red Falcon
5346th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 10:16post reply

Playing a game backwards using a mirror. (seriously, I have a friend who can beat Donkey Kong Country doing this.)

Best site EVER: Link Here

OYashiroForever
812th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 10:33post reply

Not particularly difficult, but play through Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike with blocking turned off. Makes you learn parrying that much quicker. ;)

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Grahf
319th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 10:41post reply

Wasn't there a guy who beat Contra with his toes?

Juke Joint Jezebel
3285th Post

"Re(2):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 10:57:post reply

quote:

ugh
Dan's Bro (some guy that draws on the drawboard) was playing some games with his toes (and a joystick). it made me incredibly sad

i don't know if this belongs here, but i saw this movie yesterday
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/movies.cgi?id=142

they used "tools" to make the movie, so it kinda takes the thrill out of watching it, but i thought it was interesting nevertheless

EDIT:
oh yeah, description. it's Gradius 3 for SNES. he killed only when necessary (to get powerups, to create a pathway, to take down the bosses, whatever), and spent the entire game dodging shit. it got boring after a while, so i left it running while i was eating dinner. a great dinner movie!

Salvation

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Fri 21 Jan 11:01]

Spoon
723th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 11:32post reply

quote:

ugh
Dan's Bro (some guy that draws on the drawboard) was playing some games with his toes (and a joystick). it made me incredibly sad

I could beat Tourian in Metroid with my toes back in my Famicom days. I didn't bother trying to go through the whole game that way, though...

I used to impose little challenges on myself too! Like beating bosses in some Megaman games with only the basic shot and without getting hit, playing through Jackal with just grenade and machine gun as much as possible, trying to go through as much of Mario as possible while crouched (admittedly you need a good running start)... using only jabs in SF2 didn't work on account of Guile :) Man I can't even remember all the little imposed challenges from back in the day.

Sometimes I wonder about all those old games: were the games themselves that much fun, or was it us that made them fun?

Joe Randel
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 11:41post reply

quote:
Sometimes I wonder about all those old games: were the games themselves that much fun, or was it us that made them fun?

I think is was a good helping of both. :)

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Amakusa
570th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:18post reply

I beat Crystal Man in Megaman 5 without getting hit and using only the Mega Buster. I always do the no-hit challenges on the bosses that have the highest probability of hitting you (either due to running speed or the frequency of attack):

Megaman - Elecman
Megaman 2 - Quickman
Megaman 5 - Crystal Man
Megaman X2 - Overdrive Ostrich
Megaman X3 - Volt Catfish
Megaman X5 - Squid Adler

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Mog
354th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 12:40post reply

quote:
Playing a game backwards using a mirror. (seriously, I have a friend who can beat Donkey Kong Country doing this.)

Ugh, one of my friends does that in fighters when he thinks we aren't giving him enough of a challange.

To add something to this though... Try playing Killer Instinct Gold 2-player with blocking turned off on the "sky" stage. See which player can suffer through it the longest.

Gojira
1607th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 17:08post reply

Beat the first level of Doom without dying. Blindfolded.

Off with your nose

ONSLAUGHT
3212th Post

"Mmmmmhh..." , posted Fri 21 Jan 17:14post reply

What about playing pacman? but instead of using your finger to move, you can use your dick.
The challenge is to have a boner through the whole game. It's kind of hard at first, but you get used to it fairly quick.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3290th Post

"Re(4):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 17:27post reply

quote:
Beat the first level of Doom without dying. Blindfolded.

HAHA
what

i think i could've done it when i was a kid. but memories fade ... i'd probably punch a barrel and die

that reminds me. i used to play Quake I using only the axe, and switch to the other weapons when i desperately needed them to kill a boss. quad damage plus axe equals one badass SDM

oh yeah, and when we played network Unreal Tournament in school, i only used the Enforcer (basic weapon, some pistol) when i was playing seriously. the screams from across the room "what the hell, i got killed by that stupid gun?!" and the disappointed "[jjj] never has any weapons" after i die are priceless

i never got to play UT with my friends, but i heard that they stuck with the dual Enforcers too. makes me want to play Devil May Cry now. i played a couple of levels of it at a friend's house. again, stuck with the dual pistols. too damn stylish

Salvation

Spoon
730th Post

"Re(5):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 17:53post reply

quote:
oh yeah, and when we played network Unreal Tournament in school, i only used the Enforcer (basic weapon, some pistol) when i was playing seriously. the screams from across the room "what the hell, i got killed by that stupid gun?!" and the disappointed "[jjj] never has any weapons" after i die are priceless

i never got to play UT with my friends, but i heard that they stuck with the dual Enforcers too. makes me want to play Devil May Cry now. i played a couple of levels of it at a friend's house. again, stuck with the dual pistols. too damn stylish

Unlike the assault rifle in UT2k3/2k4, the Enforcers were actually decent weapons...

Crotch Shot was one of the greatest mutators ever, if only for implementing something that we've all wanted since... like Doom. The readme for that alone was gold. I'm saddened to see no sign of Crotch Shot for UT2k4.

Now, a real challenge in UT is trying to do what is suggested in the manual and deflect projectiles with the Impact Hammer in a real game. I've... never done it.

Lupin
2877th Post

"Re(2):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 19:02post reply

quote:

Wow that's a goodie. (I suppose it could be annoying though in the wrong hands.)

I used to like playing Shinobi with no shurikins.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3291th Post

"Re(6):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 19:23post reply

quote:
Unlike the assault rifle in UT2k3/2k4, the Enforcers were actually decent weapons...

aaah, yes. the Enforcers were very good weapons. great firing speed, decent damage, painful if you use its secondary fire correctly, and a lot more fun when you're holding two of them. i just thought i'd mention it because ... oh yeah, someone triggered my fps memories

quote:
Now, a real challenge in UT is trying to do what is suggested in the manual and deflect projectiles with the Impact Hammer in a real game. I've... never done it.

i've never even heard of it! but now i want to try it. it'll be like that scene from the Transporter

Salvation

Time Mage
2030th Post

"Re(1):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 19:30post reply

A challenge that is now a classic is the Final Fantasy Tactics Straight Class Challenges (SCC), which is basically clear the game with all the people in your party as the same class, with only abilities from that class, no special characters, and certain level caps per chapter to prevent overleveling. Most of them are actually quite easy once you know the game, but at first I thought they were impossible... And then I finished Time Mages at level 28, Geomancers and Monks at level 35, and I'm stuck at the final boss with Wizards at level 24.
Then again, some crazy people has tried (and done) the SSCC, that is, the Single SCC: clear the game with only Ramza under the exact same conditions as the normal SCC.

They are quite fun to experiment with classes you thought were useless, or the ones you didn't use that much. that, and clearing the second half of chapter 2 and chapter 3 with 5 (or less)Short Charged Meteors per battle is really amusing. ^_^

There is a FAQ dedicated to the SCC in the FFT section of gamefaqs, and another to the SSCC, but that's insane and not good for anyone's health, in my opinion.

Kikkoken
804th Post

"Re(2):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 20:34post reply

Playing Iggy's house-building game without having a hard-on.

Iggy
5529th Post

"Re(3):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 20:38post reply

quote:
Playing Iggy's house-building game without having a hard-on.

That's unfair.

Also, go to work, you! Stop wasting the money of the good tax-payers by going on the internet like this!

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

kikkoken
805th Post

"Re(4):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 20:40post reply

Look who's talking!

Spoon
731th Post

"Re(2):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 20:50post reply

quote:
A challenge that is now a classic is the Final Fantasy Tactics Straight Class Challenges (SCC), which is basically clear the game with all the people in your party as the same class, with only abilities from that class, no special characters, and certain level caps per chapter to prevent overleveling. Most of them are actually quite easy once you know the game, but at first I thought they were impossible... And then I finished Time Mages at level 28, Geomancers and Monks at level 35, and I'm stuck at the final boss with Wizards at level 24.
Then again, some crazy people has tried (and done) the SSCC, that is, the Single SCC: clear the game with only Ramza under the exact same conditions as the normal SCC.

They are quite fun to experiment with classes you thought were useless, or the ones you didn't use that much. that, and clearing the second half of chapter 2 and chapter 3 with 5 (or less)Short Charged Meteors per battle is really amusing. ^_^

There is a FAQ dedicated to the SCC in the FFT section of gamefaqs, and another to the SSCC, but that's insane and not good for anyone's health, in my opinion.

Is it possible to beat FF1 with solo white wizard? I know one guy tried to beat FF1 with solo UNARMED knight, but he said that it didn't work because every (some number) of turns, Chaos casts CURE4, and an unarmed knight cannot deal the 2000 damage needed to kill Chaos within that number of turns.

Play Umihara Kawase Shun (Syun?) sometime.
There's a PSX and SNES one (funny thing is I think the SNES one has both better music AND graphics...). Just finding weird maneuvers with the grapple and strange new ways through levels is really fun. It needs to be put onto a portable.

Iggy
5531th Post

"Re(5):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Fri 21 Jan 21:29post reply

quote:
Look who's talking!

Yeah, but people at my work prefer when I'm on the MMC then when I turn around and insult talk to them.

On topic : playing Siren without ever using the sight jacking, without being hit, without the red signal when you have been spotted. Siren is too easy the way it is.
Mini game : in the first mission of Harumi, having all 4 shibito running around the house (outside it) while you're on the roof and laugh at them.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Kikkoken
806th Post

"Re(6):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Sat 22 Jan 00:23post reply

Play Wario Ware Twist with a hangover.
Playing any DS game with no stylus and boxing gloves.
PLay KOF EX 2 with Iggy in the room endlessly commenting on Jun's design.

Variable Savior
247th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Sat 22 Jan 07:01post reply

quote:
Is it possible to beat FF1 with solo white wizard?

If it is then I'd be amazed. My main recollection of the NES FF was that Chaos killed my White Mage with this one spell every time I fought him. Seriously - I don't think I ever beat that thing without having the slumped over White Mage corpse in my party. It became kinda like a tradition.

Blood marks heaven's path

Undead Fred
2024th Post

"Re(2):Suggest any game challenges (handicaps," , posted Sat 22 Jan 09:51post reply

quote:

Reminds me of this time back when I was in junior high and broke my left arm. I had to play games with only one hand. I'm sure I beat several of them at the time, but I can't remember.

I used to play the first episode of Doom so much (since that was all I had of it) that I could play straight through in one life and get 100% kills and secrets...