Replies:

kilvear
67th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 16:55post reply

quote:
Damn EA...

I dunno why I feel glad that I dun play sports game suddenly.

Maybe somebody should send EA "da bomb"

Somebody cure me of RO fanboy sickness.

Undead Fred
2012th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 16:57post reply

quote:
Damn EA...

Damn. FIFTEEN years? Jesus, man....... EA... man. Seems a little overboard to me.

I've heard they're out to roll over UbiSoft, too.

JLG
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 17:05:post reply

EA has said they have ambitions of becoming the biggest entertainment firm in the world, even taking on such companies as Disney. So this is just another step towards becoming an even bigger monster.

EDIT: About Ubisoft, EA has a 20% stake in the company, the biggest shareholder, but apparently Ubisoft has some secret plan to foil EA.

[this message was edited by JLG on Tue 18 Jan 17:08]

KTallguy
471th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 17:11post reply

It's very sad... simply because it's backing SEGA into a wall... they can't rebound from this. It's dirty business.

I really, really hope that EA gets backlash from people, but they probably won't... it's just a sad state of affairs.

Madden isn't the most horrible game... I prefered ESPN...but at the same time, EA doesn't make games for gamers... it swallows studios that make games for gamers, but other than that ...

frustrating...

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

KumagaiToshiro
97th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 17:14post reply

quote:
Damn EA...

That's exactly what I want. A game starring Robbie Williams.

"You know how many Asian people with glasses are here right now?"

KTallguy
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 17:16post reply

'He also said EA was planning an international awards show "similar to the Oscars and the Grammys" which would combine video games, music and movies.'

'"People will want to play video games if their heroes like Robbie Williams or Christina Aguilera are in them."'

Can we please... just stop... this bullshit...?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4180453.stm

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Juke Joint Jezebel
3276th Post

"Re(3):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 18:23post reply

quote:
'He also said EA was planning an international awards show "similar to the Oscars and the Grammys" which would combine video games, music and movies.'

'"People will want to play video games if their heroes like Robbie Williams or Christina Aguilera are in them."'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4180453.stm

god Hermione's hot

Salvation

Undead Fred
2013th Post

"Re(3):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 18:31post reply

quote:
Madden isn't the most horrible game... I prefered ESPN...but at the same time, EA doesn't make games for gamers... it swallows studios that make games for gamers, but other than that ...

Ugh. Yeah, I really wish EA would stop doing what it's doing, but I really doubt they will anytime soon. They'll just keep making stupid marketing tie-in madness and swallowing up all of your favorite companies. Jesus, man... why do we have Robbie Williams and Christina Aguilera in our games? Those aren't my heroes, and they aren't a LOT of people's heroes. If they bothered to look at the gaming market, we don't NEED stupid pop stars invading our games to want to buy it. Games like GTA sell really big, and it's because it's been established already and people love the gameplay. Rockstar's budget got bigger and bigger, and could include a full roster of big stars doing voices. So the game came first, random celebrities second.

I want CHARACTER over celebrities. I don't want every game character I use to have associations with some celebrity's work. In situations like The Sims Superstar expansion, celebrities made sense to be there... didn't HAVE to be there, but it sort of worked. Of course, it was Avril Lavigne and some other chodes that make music people can't stand. Anyway, my point was that celebrities should only be more than voices when it actually WORKS. It's just gimmicky otherwise.

EA is like No Face from Spirited Away. I just hope someone manages to get him to calm down and quit eating everything and everyone. I wish they would make games for gamers instead of "mass appeal" games.

EddyT
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 20:26post reply

Does EA still have distribution rights to Square games in the US? Or was that short-lived from the financial strains of FF: Spirits Within?

I was asking this because they seem to have bottomless pockets after that incident. I think it's the reason why they have been able to get away with everything (unfair labor issues with their workers, swallowing other studios, monopolizing markets on sports names and trademarks). It doesn't surprise me that ESPN decided to jump on the EA bandwagon after the NFL license ordeal.

Thank God that the NBA license or the college licenses didn't get monopolized by EA either... NBA Live sucks.

Pollyanna
762th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 20:41post reply

quote:
Does EA still have distribution rights to Square games in the US? Or was that short-lived from the financial strains of FF: Spirits Within?

I don't believe so. At least not after the Square-Enix merger and perhaps before that. They distributed a few Koei games as well, didn't they?

digitalboy
87th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 01:08post reply

Fuck EA.

Burning Ranger
1011th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 02:04post reply

quote:
Fuck EA.

Amen!

Is EA a threat worse than Sony? At least Sony now seems subdued.

I don't play lots of sports games, but this EA/ESPN thing can bring no good.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Undead Fred
2015th Post

"Re(6):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 02:29post reply

quote:

I don't believe so. At least not after the Square-Enix merger and perhaps before that. They distributed a few Koei games as well, didn't they?

I was poking around Id's site looking for Doom 3 stuff and I saw a link to EA on the left side and I had a little "OMG EA stole Id too!!" jolt. I assume it was really because EA distributed something of theirs, though...

Burning Ranger
1012th Post

"Re(7):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 02:47post reply

quote:

I was poking around Id's site looking for Doom 3 stuff and I saw a link to EA on the left side and I had a little "OMG EA stole Id too!!" jolt. I assume it was really because EA distributed something of theirs, though...

Doesn't sound right. Activision did distribution for Doom 3 (they also distributed Quake 3 Arena and Return to Castle Wolfenstein). I don't think EA has the balls to take id, seeing how id has a huge fanbase and is well known.

Minuteman
237th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 06:29post reply

The thing that makes this deal even more scary is the thought of EA being able to really play hardball w/ hardware developers. Sony/MS/Nintendo had better cozy up w/ EA now or else EA (much like Square-Enix in Japan, I imagine) could simply not support their latest respective console w/ their "exclusive" titles or any games for that matter, and then watch as that system struggles simply because "Madden isn't on system X". I don't play many sports titles anyway, but competition is always good!

EA must have gotten scared w/ the $19.99 SEGA releases this past year. Plus now, this (to me) seems to fit in w/ the rumors of software publishers charging more for "AAA" titles. Now EA can position future Madden football titles @ +$60.00 since it a franchise hit, or the SIMS as well. The thought of paying~$60 for a game does not sit well w/ me, I was hoping those days were long over w/ the cart game era.

This is not a good thing, monopolizing licenses and such. Perhaps SEGA will go back to making "Mutant League" games?

Red Falcon
5338th Post

"Re(7):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 06:41post reply

EA is am amoeba which absorbs all and produces NOTHING BUT WASTE PRODUCTS.

Best site EVER: Link Here

Mog
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 06:53post reply

quote:

I don't believe so. At least not after the Square-Enix merger and perhaps before that.

If my memory is correct, it was the Square-Enix merger put an end to EA publishing Square titles in the US. I remember reading an article about it in some US gaming mag, but I never got it confirmed.

quote:

It's probably there because EA publisherd Quake 3: Revolution for the PS2. Other than that, I personally cannot think of another reason as to why id's site would have a link to EA.

HAYATO
228th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 06:54post reply

Sooner or later, EA will pay for this...consumers aren't (completely) stupid, and they'll eventually feel pissed off after buying the same game every year. EA will face his cruel but deserved fate very, very soon...

kurushimi
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 07:21post reply

Maybe I'm just being too naive about US corporate politics and sports here, but would it be that hard to make a sports game where the player models resemble their real life counterparts in stats and appearance, but no actual names or logos are used? Racing games get away with it - I can spot a WRX with or without company branding.

Then again, since I don't play sports games, I probably don't understand the inherent importance of controlling THE New England Patriots, or having THE Yao Ming on my team, etc.

In a way, whether there is a backlash or not, EA will continue to buy up companies - it's just standard business practice. How much pressure they'll exert on creative influence is up in the air - I can reasonably see EA allocating up a sector to "artsy-creative" titles, in which a small company that got bought out by them has a chance to flesh out a title they otherwise wouldn't have had the resources for.

Then again, reading the recent accounts about EA abusing worker priviliges, perhaps I'm just too optimistic after all.

Mokona
212th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 07:42post reply

quote:
Maybe I'm just being too naive about US corporate politics and sports here, but would it be that hard to make a sports game where the player models resemble their real life counterparts in stats and appearance, but no actual names or logos are used?

Konami has proved this works with the "Far superior to any other football game" Winning Eleven Series. Prove me wrong!

Blah!

Burning Ranger
1013th Post

"Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 07:52post reply

quote:
Sooner or later, EA will pay for this...consumers aren't (completely) stupid, and they'll eventually feel pissed off after buying the same game every year. EA will face his cruel but deserved fate very, very soon...

Don't count on this. I can think of a million examples where mediocre products have won out because of everyday common unenlightened consumers (PS/PS2, Halo, DragonBallZ).

Boy, I sound elitist, don't I?

Lupin
2866th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 09:27:post reply

quote:
Mr Florin predicted that the next round of games console would give developers enough power to create real emotion.

...hahaha
quote:

'Increased firepower'

"It's the subtleties, the eyes, the mouth - 5,000 polygons doesn't really sell the emotion.

...hahaha

quote:
"Our goal is to bring games to the masses which bring out emotions."

It's good to have goals.
(assuming the underlying human goodness is present)

[this message was edited by Lupin on Wed 19 Jan 09:31]

crazymike
1064th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 14:36post reply

While I don't care for EA's games, it is nice to see American companies coming back in the game market the past few years after being knocked off the map by Japanese companies in the 80s and 90s.

DarkZero
1048th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 18:43post reply

quote:
While I don't care for EA's games, it is nice to see American companies coming back in the game market the past few years after being knocked off the map by Japanese companies in the 80s and 90s.

It'd be nicer to see American companies coming back into the market with original, compelling titles that contain not only interesting gameplay, but detailed characters, story, and artistry, such as Prince of Persia, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or World of Warcraft, rather than bland, generic sports games. I honestly wouldn't mind EA becoming a gigantic monopoly if it didn't represent a faceless, pointless amoeba devouring better works that are more satisfying and better priced.

I see nothing wrong with sports games, as video games revolving around sports will always exist. However, the idea that a company has become so massive without creating anything truly unique or compelling, and that that company is now beating and in some cases devouring the companies that DO create unique and compelling games, is as ridiculous as it is unfortunate. Other companies are out there hiring writers, directors, artists, and voice actors, and EA's winning anyway because they have better licenses.

Undead Fred
2016th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Wed 19 Jan 19:14post reply

quote:
Maybe I'm just being too naive about US corporate politics and sports here, but would it be that hard to make a sports game where the player models resemble their real life counterparts in stats and appearance, but no actual names or logos are used? Racing games get away with it - I can spot a WRX with or without company branding.

Then again, since I don't play sports games, I probably don't understand the inherent importance of controlling THE New England Patriots, or having THE Yao Ming on my team, etc.

Exactly. Every game I've ever played with REAL PEOPLE in them... I've never ever used them. I always make my own character and use them (assuming they'll let you).

By the way, I had heard EA bought out and then destroyed Westwood last year, who had made the Command and Conquer series. GJ EA!!! OMG

Glad they love the gaming community.

Burning Ranger
1017th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Thu 20 Jan 00:36post reply

quote:

It'd be nicer to see American companies coming back into the market with original, compelling titles that contain not only interesting gameplay, but detailed characters, story, and artistry, such as Prince of Persia, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or World of Warcraft, rather than bland, generic sports games. I honestly wouldn't mind EA becoming a gigantic monopoly if it didn't represent a faceless, pointless amoeba devouring better works that are more satisfying and better priced.

I see nothing wrong with sports games, as video games revolving around sports will always exist. However, the idea that a company has become so massive without creating anything truly unique or compelling, and that that company is now beating and in some cases devouring the companies that DO create unique and compelling games, is as ridiculous as it is unfortunate. Other companies are out there hiring writers, directors, artists, and voice actors, and EA's winning anyway because they have better licenses.

The latest Prince of Persia was distributed and developed (?) by Ubisoft (from France). Still, its a good thing Ubisoft is putting out quality titles.

As for US companies putting out product, I'm giving recognition to Microsoft for the Xbox. Before, the last US made console with that much popularity was an Atari machine (and not the Jaguar). And also, that other system made by Panasonic and other companies doesn't count.

Burning Ranger
1018th Post

"More proof that EA is nuts..." , posted Thu 20 Jan 02:34post reply

...or just plain retarded;

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7331802

VariantX
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Thu 20 Jan 14:25post reply

quote:
Damn EA...

I wouldnt be so angry about what EA is doing if they did anythng to further the art of game creation. Everything they do is purely about milking a license, name, fad, or franchise they had ZERO part in creating. It seems they'll throw their money around to either eat companies that make great games, or cripple them because their products compete with their own franchises. God forbid they use one of the million dev houses they own to create a new franchise or game. EA simply is unable to or simply refuses to break new ground or come up with is own ideas. Its kind of scary to know that EA is only slighty smaller than nintendo.

Undead Fred
2018th Post

"Re(2):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Thu 20 Jan 16:28post reply

quote:
I wouldnt be so angry about what EA is doing if they did anythng to further the art of game creation. Everything they do is purely about milking a license, name, fad, or franchise they had ZERO part in creating. It seems they'll throw their money around to either eat companies that make great games, or cripple them because their products compete with their own franchises. God forbid they use one of the million dev houses they own to create a new franchise or game. EA simply is unable to or simply refuses to break new ground or come up with is own ideas. Its kind of scary to know that EA is only slighty smaller than nintendo.

Precisely. It's the American way: come up with a successful formula, then milk it until it bleeds and everyone hates the idea, then burn that to the ground and start a new one. Repeat forever.

KTallguy
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Thu 20 Jan 23:42post reply

Sorry to start a thread with so much hate, even if it is directed at EA.

I guess I'm wondering what we can actually DO about this as 'gamers'. Quick definition: Gamers are not your average joe who just buys Madden and a PS2/Xbox/Not Gamecube, but those who care about gaming as a medium, an art, or just as a way to waste lots of valuable time they could be spending doing meaningful work.

So what can we do? I'm not trying to be unrealistic, I don't think we can storm EA's HQ and assassinate the CEO, nor do I think that's the answer... but is there anything we can do? The first answer would be to boycott EA's games... but even that will have little effect it seems; the amount of people like us are much fewer than the average consumer...

I guess I'm just at a loss. It's like when the elections happened, I was also at a loss afterwards. What can we do to rectify the situation?

"手前がやくぶそくなんだよ!"

Mokona
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Fri 21 Jan 00:34post reply

quote:
So what can we do? I'm not trying to be unrealistic, I don't think we can storm EA's HQ and assassinate the CEO, nor do I think that's the answer...
[...]
I guess I'm just at a loss. It's like when the elections happened, I was also at a loss afterwards. What can we do to rectify the situation?

Aww, come on, you could have ninja-ed his ass!

Anyway, do like everyone else, forget it quickly and continue to be ass-raped frequently </sarcasm>

Blah!

Undead Fred
2022th Post

"Re(4):I'm getting sick of this..." , posted Fri 21 Jan 11:59:post reply

quote:
I guess I'm wondering what we can actually DO about this as 'gamers'. Quick definition: Gamers are not your average joe who just buys Madden and a PS2/Xbox/Not Gamecube, but those who care about gaming as a medium, an art, or just as a way to waste lots of valuable time they could be spending doing meaningful work.

So what can we do? I'm not trying to be unrealistic, I don't think we can storm EA's HQ and assassinate the CEO, nor do I think that's the answer... but is there anything we can do? The first answer would be to boycott EA's games... but even that will have little effect it seems; the amount of people like us are much fewer than the average consumer...

Yeah, you're right. There's not really anything we can do, other than sit back and watch the American gaming market go up in flames and hope the European and Japanese markets don't catch any stray sparks from us and go up too.

EA makes games for people who don't PLAY games. Their market is the frat boys who buy the latest Madden to give somebody THE STIFF ARM with Real Player X armed with their COMPLETELY new up-to-date stats and the proper year on the front of the box. They make games for those people, and more than likely, very few actual gamers buy them (if they do, I doubt they buy that many), so we'd only be no more than 25% of their sales, right? Writing letters won't do anything, either. EA won't stop being a monster just because we ask them to leave nicely. I can't really think of any other alternatives, really. We're probably going to just have to sit and deal with it.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Fri 21 Jan 12:00]