Ultracade's cocktail multi-game arcade system - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3122 Views )

OmegaDog
1415th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Ultracade's cocktail multi-game arcade system" , posted Tue 18 Jan 14:28:post reply

Forgot to post this. Before Christmas, at a Costco, I managed to see a table-top/cocktail arcade system, from Ultracade, with 35 games pre-loaded. Price tag was $2000 -- out of my price range -- but it was still interesting to look at and play with.

The 35 games ranged from Mr. Do, Penguin-Kun Wars, and the original Ghosts & Goblins, up to Megaman: The Power Battle (with slightly flawed menu art) and even the original Darkstalkers. (The two-player co-op games split the screen, with each half facing the respective player.) Framerates would dip with Darkstalkers -- but otherwise, the emulation seemed fine. (I'm assuming Ultracade has done whatever's necessary to legally distribute those games with the machine.)

Anyone else seen it? Here's Ultracade's website -- the cocktail machine should be under Consumer Products > Arcade Legends once you enter the site.

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 18 Jan 14:30]

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
3275th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Ultracade's cocktail multi-game arcade " , posted Tue 18 Jan 18:08post reply

man, framerates dipped with a lot of games. Street Fighter II (not turbo, the other one) was shaky as hell. and i remember it being weird for some wrestling game. they've got one at our university arcade. but at a fucking 50¢ per game. if everyone else is like me, how many fucking credits would it take to get anywhere in Megaman or any of those games

>:o

and there's also some punks lurking the old school games. (or at least one. some guy did some wacky shit with Street Fighter II. i didn't know what the hell was going on, pulling tricks from before my time.) i should start playing Darkstalkers or something. maybe i could stir up some vampire action. "hey, this looks like MvC2!" haha, or maybe not. i'd probably be playing by myself the whole time

Salvation

Ishmael
1782th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Ultracade's cocktail multi-game arcade" , posted Wed 19 Jan 00:51post reply

quote:
man, framerates dipped with a lot of games. Street Fighter II (not turbo, the other one) was shaky as hell. and i remember it being weird for some wrestling game. they've got one at our university arcade. but at a fucking 50¢ per game. if everyone else is like me, how many fucking credits would it take to get anywhere in Megaman or any of those games

>:o

and there's also some punks lurking the old school games. (or at least one. some guy did some wacky shit with Street Fighter II. i didn't know what the hell was going on, pulling tricks from before my time.) i should start playing Darkstalkers or something. maybe i could stir up some vampire action. "hey, this looks like MvC2!" haha, or maybe not. i'd probably be playing by myself the whole time

The framerates aren't consistent? I haven't spent a lot of time messing with those Ultracade cabinets but I had assumed they were running full emulations of the games. That is not good news.

While on the subject of Ultracade, could the Ultracade company come up with a less gaudy design. Between those weird electric burps and random sound effects that the machines tosses out between games and that horrid CG art that advertises the game compilation, those Ultracade games are possibly the ugliest looking things out there.