I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolution - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3785 Views )

crazymike
1062th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolution" , posted Tue 18 Jan 10:35post reply

It tempted me. I was at Best Buy, I thought about buying it. I looked at it, no...30 bucks, well, it is kind of cheap, but no, it is kind of a lot. I am sure it will be another patchwork game. Reach for the case, look at it, argh....bought it

Seriously though. I know everyone and their dog has complained already, but here is my beefs that I didn't notice people touch on too much

1. The fighting system. I didn't read to much on the game before it came out, sort of ignored it. I was under the impression it had a groove-like system where you could play say, Ryu with Darkstalkers engine qualities, or Demitri with 3rd Strike style. Sounds fun. Then I get home and find you can only play each fighter with their respective styles in those games.

Arrrgh! This *really* made me feel more like playing mugen than the sprites. I can overlook the used sprites, but different mechanics for all the fighters you cannot change? If I pit Guy and Rose up against each other, I am playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 all over again with a new background.

2. Where is Guy's Bushin Musou Renge? The one move that is cooler than the Raging Demon and Capcom took it out?!

3. Why are all of the Alpha character's supers their level 1 version from the previous games? Why can't I press two punches or two kicks to get the higher level? It looks weak

4. Why does Shin Akuma have his white hair and purple gi? I am expecting God Rugal to jump out of nowhere

5. There are other nitpickings, but to sum it up: What is there in this game that I could not have made done in Mugen? I wouldn't even have to learn how to edit any of those silly .con files, the fighters are just a straight port it feels like.

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3197th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Mugen is crap, please don't compare." , posted Tue 18 Jan 10:39:post reply

quote:
What is there in this game that I could not have made done in Mugen? I wouldn't even have to learn how to edit any of those silly .con files, the fighters are just a straight port it feels like.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) can make a better game using Mugen, I'll give you 1000 dollars.

Seriously.

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Tue 18 Jan 10:43]

Just a Person
684th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):That's true..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 10:41post reply

quote:
There are other nitpickings, but to sum it up: What is there in this game that I could not have made done in Mugen? I wouldn't even have to learn how to edit any of those silly .con files, the fighters are just a straight port it feels like.

Unfortunately, that's true. Capcom Fighting Evolution may be nice at the beginning, but it is just a group of used sprites and fight engines mixed together (adding Ingrid).
Same thing with The King of Fighters NeoWave (I played it this weekend). That's okay if they use just the same fighters from previous tournaments, but couldn't the producers at least update AoF2 Geese's sprites? They look so old...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

crazymike
1063th Post

"Re(1):Muegn is crap, please don't compare." , posted Tue 18 Jan 10:42post reply

quote:

If you (or anyone else for that matter) can make a better game using Mugen, I'll give you 1000 dollars.

Seriously.

But the point is, this doesn't feel like a programmed game other than the music and backgrounds. All the characters react differently. It is like pairing Mortal Kombat up against Street Fighter and keeping the same physics from both games, it is wacky.

Let me add, it REALLY needs a system mode. I would love to give Ryu the chain combo physics of Night Warriors or have Karin be able to parry but I guess that is too much to ask @_@

Ishmael
1778th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Tue 18 Jan 11:09post reply

quote:
It
1. The fighting system. I didn't read to much on the game before it came out, sort of ignored it.

Caveat emptor and all that. This board and a few others like it are absolutely swimming with information about games so I'm not sure why you didn't read up on the game engine or anything else concerning CFJ/E. It's too bad the game didn't turn out to be your thing but it might have helped if you had made an informed purchase.

beto
783th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"CFJ is crap, please don't compare." , posted Tue 18 Jan 11:14post reply

quote:

CFJ looks like Mugen but plays better than what random kids on the internet can program! It´s so worth the 30 bucks! OMG, the three-year wait was totally worth it! I love you Capcom!!!!!!

ONSLAUGHT
3197th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 18 Jan 11:21post reply

quote:

CFJ looks like Mugen but plays better than what random kids on the internet can program! It´s so worth the 30 bucks! OMG, the three-year wait was totally worth it! I love you Capcom!!!!!!

Sorry, Masterposter, but your weak attempt at humor is not amusing.
Better keep giving us those ultra rare news that only you can provide.

Sano
1391th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Tue 18 Jan 14:01:post reply

quote:

1. The fighting system. I didn't read to much on the game before it came out, sort of ignored it. I was under the impression it had a groove-like system where you could play say, Ryu with Darkstalkers engine qualities, or Demitri with 3rd Strike style. Sounds fun. Then I get home and find you can only play each fighter with their respective styles in those games.

Arrrgh! This *really* made me feel more like playing mugen than the sprites. I can overlook the used sprites, but different mechanics for all the fighters you cannot change? If I pit Guy and Rose up against each other, I am playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 all over again with a new background.

2. Where is Guy's Bushin Musou Renge? The one move that is cooler than the Raging Demon and Capcom took it out?!

3. Why are all of the Alpha character's supers their level 1 version from the previous games? Why can't I press two punches or two kicks to get the higher level? It looks weak

4. Why does Shin Akuma have his white hair and purple gi? I am expecting God Rugal to jump out of nowhere

5. There are other nitpickings, but to sum it up: What is there in this game that I could not have made done in Mugen? I wouldn't even have to learn how to edit any of those silly .con files, the fighters are just a straight port it feels like.

1. That's your fault. You bought an apple not doing the proper research not knowing what an apple was and then you were shocked that it didn't taste like an orange.

2. Balance issue. No crossover game retains everybody's moves from their respective games. That results in brokiness especially with a small roster. This game was the best attempt at bringing all the styles together thus far.

3. See above.

4. His ending indicates that he's Shin Gouki from CVS2.

5. "Where is Guy's Bushin Musou Renge?"

"The fighters are just a straight port it feels like."

???

It's a budget game Capcom made in less than seven months. No one lied to you about that, right on the back of the box it says "old-school game." If you want to know where all of Capcom's money is, where's the great graphics, etc, etc, get Devil May Cry 3 and Onimusha 3.

You can have a lot of fun with this game if you play with an actual living person. If you're playing by yourself on anything less than level 8, you won't get why some of us enjoy the game.

And yes, if you get past some of the surface stuff like graphics, sprites, and other things that have nothing to do with Gameplay, you can have a lot of fun with CFE. Check the link below and this is what you'll have to strive for if you're making a mugen game. Good luck.

http://media.shoryuken.com/~mrwizard/cfe/jchensor-funwithcfe.zip

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 18 Jan 15:17]

Dr Baghead
3346th Post

"Re(1):Mugen is crap, please don't compare." , posted Tue 18 Jan 17:31post reply

quote:

Seriously.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who likes to point out the game is nothing like MUGEN...

As much as I refuse to play the game, I know it at least made some attempt to emulate the original games and stay true to the characters.

Capcom didn't decide it was too hard to play as Guile so made all his special move commands the same as Ryu's or feel Zangief wasn't powerful enough so made his glowing fist shoot a MvC Hadoken, nor did they think Felicia was over dressed so made her fight in the poorly edited nude, even though the SF3/Warzard characters are missing some frames they're not made from cropping screen shots, No one has poorly done sprite edits to give them moves that belong to other characters, and even though there's no Ken/Evil Ryu/Dan/Sean Ryu can't 'moprh' into any of them.

and in addition to major non-MUGEN things like that, you get minor details like working collision boxes, balanced gameplay (I don't know if there's anything "broken" about CFE, but I assume it's perfectly blanaced compared to someone's "ShIn KeN" who's normal Shoryuken is his Alpha Shinryuken, and his Shinryuken is his XvSF Shinryuken with a Sonic Hurricane surrounding him and launching 50000 Akuma air fireballs when he finishes it VS a "WIP" Donovan who has two punches and half his walk cycle), clean sound samples, actual animation not one frame being moved randomly to imply 'bouncing' edited to have jello arms and flicking light source, sensible endings, nice backgrounds, and professional screen layouts.

And I'm sure somewhere out there is someone who could make this exact game in MUGEN (at least Gameplay and character wise, obviously somethings couldn't be duplicated), but since I doubt they'd have a highly skilled team to help them there's no way they'd ever be able to do it one lifetime.... and even if they could they'd just quit 5 days into the projects when fanboys flood their mail boxes saying:

"d000d!!! You shud put JoJo and Marvel and Alien Vs Predator Caracters in the game sense there an important part of Capcom plaese us the following since they're important Capcom characters too:
Batsu
Geese
MegaMan X
Zero
Cutman
Gutsman
Dr.Wily
and Chris Redfeild (make him an edit of Jill but with Charlie's moves too and stronger!!!)

yeah it's not funny

Bata kun
2465th Post

"'Mugen' and 'CFJ'" , posted Wed 19 Jan 02:11:post reply

What you get in "CFJ" that you can't get in "Mugen":

- "Warzard" music, unless you actually have the soundtrack of that game and anything in regards to "Warzard" as well as Ingrid.

- The "Justice Gakuen" character switch gig.

- Unlockable music?

- Ryuu's Shin Shoryuken.

- The Midnight Bliss in its full effect. (Tried doing it in "Mugen" and I get nothing obviously.)

What you get in "Mugen" that you can't get in "CFJ":

- Gai's/Guy's Bushin Musou Renge. (This is no joke.)

- Chun Li's old theme as well as Guy's (assuming that you have the MP3s).

- That powered up Ten Shou Kyaku super combo as well as the Ten Shou Kyaku itself.

- Three levels of SCs for various characters.

- Air blocking for characters like Ryuu.

- Characters like Lilith and Ken in the roster.

I omitted stuff that has been mentioned already, I think?

I shouldn't say that "CFJ" is average at best, but the truth is, it doesn't have much value. Then again, remember that this is only a tight budget game Capcom slapped on out of nowhere. Look at it this way. At least you didn't get it for $50. It's not even worth that much. $30, maybe, but definitely not $50.

[this message was edited by Bata kun on Wed 19 Jan 02:36]

Ammadeau
1259th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):'Mugen' and 'CFJ'" , posted Wed 19 Jan 03:25post reply

Maybe it is better than mugen, but why bother playing it when you can play virtually any other fighting game on the planet? I guess only if you were really hard up for Wazard characters.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

threesixtee
836th Post

"Re(2):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Wed 19 Jan 03:52post reply

quote:

you have to admit, jchensor makes the game look fun. I've never played mugen, and I've never played CFE - but the combo video makes it look fun in a casual aspect in the very least.

Shin_ATproof
1130th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Wed 19 Jan 07:47post reply

quote:

Seriously.

LOL Oh man...when people rip those Warzard sprites...it will be the easiest $1000 I'll ever make!

quote:

you have to admit, jchensor makes the game look fun. I've never played mugen, and I've never played CFE - but the combo video makes it look fun in a casual aspect in the very least.

80% of what makes that video cool is the Katamari Daimashi Theme and the creative editing.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

ONSLAUGHT
3202th Post

"Re(4):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Wed 19 Jan 08:08post reply

quote:
LOL Oh man...when people rip those Warzard sprites...it will be the easiest $1000 I'll ever make!

"LOL" indeed...

crazymike
1065th Post

"Re(5):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Wed 19 Jan 14:48post reply

Well I never complained about the sprites, I knew they were all old. I was just expecting a different gameplay experience, but like I mentioned before, if I pit Guy up v.s Sakura, it feels 99% close to Street Fighter Alpha 2.

And the reason I brought up Mugen in the first place is because this feels wacky pairing up Demitri v.s Ryu with two totally different engine mechanics. When X-Men v.s Street Fighter came out, they made sure the Street Fighters played like the X-Men style instead of having super jumping X-Men facing off against Street Fighters with alpha counters and 3 bar supers.

Either way, the ultimate reason I bought it was so Capcom might continue to make more 2D fighters in the future, although I cannot say anymore if this is a good thing if this is the new trend @_@

exodus
2362th Post

"Re(6):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Thu 20 Jan 04:02post reply

oh actually - can someone tell me how the speed is in this game? I've felt that the last few capcom games were a bit slow. Any thoughts?

OYashiroForever
809th Post

"Re(7):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Thu 20 Jan 05:25post reply

quote:
oh actually - can someone tell me how the speed is in this game? I've felt that the last few capcom games were a bit slow. Any thoughts?
Foot speed is about the same as CvS2 arcade... so slow, in other words.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

exodus
2363th Post

"Re(8):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Thu 20 Jan 05:30post reply

bleh.

I want a new/decent street fighter alpha ;_;

Iron D
2587th Post

"Re(8):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Thu 20 Jan 05:47post reply

Once again, my opinion stands different from the majority of others. I like this game. Best fighting game ever? Nah. Worth playing? I certainly think so. I guess it's more of a personal thing, since there's quite a few dream matches in this game that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise (I don't touch Mugen).

The Warzard characters are fun, the original music is great, and some of the regular tunes are decent, nothing unbearable at least.

Also, one thing that I didn't like about past crossover games was that the characters really weren't the same characters they were before. Yes, I realize that in a new game there should be differences, but playing as Felicia in MvC2 sucked. It wasn't Felicia. Playing as Rock in CvS2 sucked, because it just didn't feel like Rock. But in this game the characters feel right (for the most part, Yun for some reason still doesn't feel quite right...better than CvS2 anyway). I kinda like that. Interchangeable systems would have been nice, but I'm not dying without them.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this game. Those who don't like it now will likely never like it. But I'm glad that I actually went and played it and saw for myself what the game was like. In the end it was a pretty fun game, which is what matters for me.

If there were things that I think this game needed, it's better music, more pre-match character interactions, and more unlockable stuff. Oh and more modes, like a World Tour mode or something.

End pseudo-rant.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Mokona
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Thu 20 Jan 06:57post reply

I haven't played the game, but from what I see from this combo-video, it's definitely not competition-oriented. And with such a little roster, I wouldn't say it's a good lasting experience as a 1p game either.
I'll probably end up renting it to check the endings and to test the Warzard characters.

I do think it's a fair product, but should be considered either a budget game or collector/hardcore-fan product.

Blah!

OYashiroForever
810th Post

"Re(9):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evolu" , posted Thu 20 Jan 06:58post reply

Your opinion and you're entitled to it, Iron D, but I'd like to point a couple of things out first.
quote:
Also, one thing that I didn't like about past crossover games was that the characters really weren't the same characters they were before. Yes, I realize that in a new game there should be differences, but playing as Felicia in MvC2 sucked. It wasn't Felicia. Playing as Rock in CvS2 sucked, because it just didn't feel like Rock. But in this game the characters feel right (for the most part, Yun for some reason still doesn't feel quite right...better than CvS2 anyway). I kinda like that. Interchangeable systems would have been nice, but I'm not dying without them.
None of the characters play the way they originally do. Alpha characters don't play like Alpha.. they play like CvS2 A-groove. SF3 characters don't play the way they do in any of those 3 games (homogenized super meter, CvS2 parry-timing, Urien's practically a different character). SF2 characters play like Zero 3 X-ism. Darkstalkers characters kinda play like a mish-mash of all three main DS games.
quote:
If there were things that I think this game needed, it's better music, more pre-match character interactions, and more unlockable stuff. Oh and more modes, like a World Tour mode or something.
Fluff. Those kind of things would've certainly helped the game as a package, but if your cake is already made of dirt, what's the point in putting icing on it?

[boring competitive analysis]This game is CvS1 minus the SNK characters. It's slow (this can't be stressed enough... slow = bad in fighting games) and has limitations (set grooves as opposed to set ratios) that a) control how good or bad a character can be and b) sets up easy counter-character matchups.[/boring competitive analysis]

[non-competitive players]It's ugly, it's slow, and it's been done already... and better. Does it have absolutely NO redeeming value? Of course not... it's at least relatively balanced and promotes a variety of playing styles (turtle, rushdown, etc.). However, in 2005, with 15 years of SF and other 2D fighting games to pull from, this is a shockingly minimal effort from every conceivable standpoint.

If Capcom wants to celebrate the 15th anniversary of SF, that's great. Give us a compilation of arcade perfect ports of old SF games. Or... better yet... give us a NEW FRIGGING GAME. These half-assed Mugen crossovers like CFJ + HSF2 (face it people, the only difference between this and Mugen is the quality of the tools and source material available to the developers) and bare-bones ports are just the final nail in the Street Fighter coffin.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

Iron D
2588th Post

"Re(10):I actually bought Capcom Fighting Evol" , posted Thu 20 Jan 08:34post reply

quote:
None of the characters play the way they originally do. Alpha characters don't play like Alpha.. they play like CvS2 A-groove. SF3 characters don't play the way they do in any of those 3 games (homogenized super meter, CvS2 parry-timing, Urien's practically a different character). SF2 characters play like Zero 3 X-ism. Darkstalkers characters kinda play like a mish-mash of all three main DS games.

Okay, you're right there. I, for a brief second, forgot that the "grooves" weren't spot on. I'd love have a three level Alpha bar, and I'd love to have Dark Forcers for the Darkstalkers. But I can also see how much more difficult this game would have been to balance with these things added.

As for characters on an individual basis, they work well for me, though I can see where high level tournament playing types would probably be bothered by the differences. But again, for me, they work fine. To put it simply, they're close enough for me to feel comfortable.

quote:
Fluff. Those kind of things would've certainly helped the game as a package, but if your cake is already made of dirt, what's the point in putting icing on it?

Dirt? Once again I can only speak for myself, but when I think of "dirt", I think Rise of the Robots. Primal Rage. Ballz. And I sure don't think this game is that bad. But hey, different strokes. If you think CFE belongs in that category that's all you, baby.

quote:
[boring competitive analysis]This game is CvS1 minus the SNK characters. It's slow (this can't be stressed enough... slow = bad in fighting games) and has limitations (set grooves as opposed to set ratios) that a) control how good or bad a character can be and b) sets up easy counter-character matchups.[/boring competitive analysis]

I've heard the complaints of the speed before, but I think the speed feels fine. I never felt that it was sluggish at all.

quote:
[non-competitive players]It's ugly, it's slow, and it's been done already... and better.

Let me also point out that I'm a non-cometitive (mostly) player. Even by just playing 1p, I've had a blast.

Once again, I see where those that don't like this game are coming from. I also can't recommend it to anyone, because as this board has demonstrated, it's not for everyone. But one way or another, I am enjoying this game, and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

And now I think I should quit, because now I'm starting to feel like I am defending the game here...

Zelkin. Pimped.

OYashiroForever
811th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):I actually bought Capcom Fightin" , posted Thu 20 Jan 14:25post reply

quote:
Dirt? Once again I can only speak for myself, but when I think of "dirt", I think Rise of the Robots. Primal Rage. Ballz. And I sure don't think this game is that bad. But hey, different strokes. If you think CFE belongs in that category that's all you, baby.
Simply an analogy. I wouldn't compare CFE to any of those atrocities either. I DO consider it the most lazy non-port game ever released by a company infamous for its laziness. I'd say it's among the 5 worst SF games ever made (Super, Alpha 1, CvS1, and Marvel/SF would probably be the other 4). My opinion, of course.
quote:
Let me also point out that I'm a non-cometitive (mostly) player. Even by just playing 1p, I've had a blast.
This just boggles me. As I've said, it's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it, but I can't see any possible scenario where this is an exciting game single-player. There's no modes, there's nothing that hasn't been done before (and done better), and there's zero personality. It has an interesting cast... but that certainly doesn't make a game playable.
quote:
Once again, I see where those that don't like this game are coming from. I also can't recommend it to anyone, because as this board has demonstrated, it's not for everyone. But one way or another, I am enjoying this game, and I'm glad to have it in my collection.
Fair enough. We all have our games that we like that everyone else hates.