Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD set - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2471 Views )

Lupin
2854th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD set" , posted Sun 16 Jan 06:57post reply

um...[laugh?]
Peter Jackson wants to release another "ultimate DVD collection" of Lord of the Rings in 2 or 3 years.
This time he wants to add feature length documentaries and deleted seens.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/2005-01-13-coming-attractions_x.htm

This would be the...3rd version of the DVD for fans to buy?

Replies:

click
532th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Sun 16 Jan 07:23post reply

Of course. Did you really think it would end with the EE DVDs? The theatrical and EE releases are completely competent, reasonable releases... So "one more" isn't really going overboard.

There really was no proper ultimate set including all three films anyway. These films deserve it.

Undead Fred
2006th Post

"Re(1):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD " , posted Sun 16 Jan 07:23post reply

quote:
um...[laugh?]
Peter Jackson wants to release another "ultimate DVD collection" of Lord of the Rings in 2 or 3 years.

I thought the extended versions that had already been released were ultimate enough... what the hell else could they add? The other ones had some pretty long documentary stuff, and I thought they put in all of the deleted scenes already.

Ammadeau
1258th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Sun 16 Jan 07:32post reply

quote:
I thought the extended versions that had already been released were ultimate enough... what the hell else could they add? The other ones had some pretty long documentary stuff, and I thought they put in all of the deleted scenes already.

Listen to the commentaries. They mention a ton of stuff that still didn't make it in, plus they can always film or digitally create new material. Films 2 and 3 were rushed near the end and probably would have come out differently had their been more time.

I don't know what could be left for documentaries though.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Mog
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Sun 16 Jan 12:57:post reply

quote:

They mention a ton of stuff that still didn't make it in, plus they can always film or digitally create new material.

Right, I mean they could always find a way to dump Tom Bombadil into the story. Hell, they could even CG him over Aragorn Jaba-the-Hutt-style in that certan spot in the story to make it more true to the books.

Edit: my grammar sucks

[this message was edited by Mog on Sun 16 Jan 13:00]

DarkZero
1043th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Sun 16 Jan 15:09post reply

quote:
um...[laugh?]

There was an EGM article awhile back about the home console version of Lord of the Rings: The Third Age where some people from EGM actually got to go to the studios and look around and everything. They, along with the people that they interviewed, indicated that there's enough extra material from LotR for them to essentially make a "Lord of the Rings: Special Edition" theatrical release ten or fifteen years from now. They even mentioned the fact that the developers kept showing them different things and the conversations repeatedly turned into this:

"What's that part based on?"

"The deleted scenes."

"The ones from the Return of the King Extended Edition?" (the RotK EE hadn't been released yet)

"No, from the deleted scenes that they're holding back for the future editions of the trilogy."

Apparently they actually got to see parts of these scenes and they were completely finished, effects and all, but just weren't being put into the extended editions. From what they said, the movie studio planned right from the beginning for the LotR trilogy to be just like Star Wars, constantly being rereleased and added to over the course of about fifteen years or so.

Lupin
2855th Post

"Re(3):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Sun 16 Jan 16:18post reply

quote:

"No, from the deleted scenes that they're holding back for the future editions of the trilogy."

What's the nice way to put this...
F**k you puny consumers?

quote:

Apparently they actually got to see parts of these scenes and they were completely finished, effects and all, but just weren't being put into the extended editions. From what they said, the movie studio planned right from the beginning for the LotR trilogy to be just like Star Wars, constantly being rereleased and added to over the course of about fifteen years or so.

Sounds like a certain company and operating system I know, except for that on top of all that they also introduce errors for the purpose of issuing corrections of in future editions.

Screw them, if I want to own a copy of this trillogy I'll wait 15 years then (& only if I'm still interested).

Fygee
1149th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Sun 16 Jan 17:58post reply

So basically, 15 years from now we'll all be able to watch versions of the movies that are 8 hours long. Good god.

I mean...the EE of the movies clock in at 3 and a half to four hours. That's long enough.

Hungrywolf
2981th Post

"Re(4):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Mon 17 Jan 07:28post reply

quote:

They mention a ton of stuff that still didn't make it in, plus they can always film or digitally create new material.

Right, I mean they could always find a way to dump Tom Bombadil into the story. Hell, they could even CG him over Aragorn Jaba-the-Hutt-style in that certan spot in the story to make it more true to the books.

Edit: my grammar sucks

I would love to see Tom Bombadil in the movies...

and I am completely serious about that. I loved him in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Dr Baghead
3342th Post

"Re(5):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Mon 17 Jan 16:50post reply

quote:

and I am completely serious about that. I loved him in The Fellowship of the Ring.

I never read the books but since I keep reading som many people saying they wanted him in the movies may I ask:
Who the hell is Tom Bombadil and what does he do?

yeah it's not funny

HAYATO
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Tue 18 Jan 00:09post reply

quote:
From what they said, the movie studio planned right from the beginning for the LotR trilogy to be just like Star Wars, constantly being rereleased and added to over the course of about fifteen years or so.

Then, I will download the DVD-rips from eMule instead of buying the original thing, just to show them not to screw the consumers. Playing around with the customers the way they do is just another way of stealing, it means to me the same as DVD-ripping means to them, so I say..."F**K YOU, JACKSON, YOU ROT AND DIE!!". I don't give a damn thing for LOTR. I enjoyed the books when I was 15 and found the movies entertaining, but even in the case it was my beloved David Lynch the one following "The Lucas' way" , I'd say the same.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
And that goes for you too, Lucas. GO TO HELL YOU GREEDY BASTARD !!!

End of Spoiler

Joe Randel
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Tue 18 Jan 01:39post reply

Pretty soon we can go through all this again after all the Star Wars movies are out. You'll be able to buy the whole box set for 6 movies, then the special edition, then the limited special edition, then the uber edition, and the super limited, crazy expensive, difinitive, last box set you'll ever buy edition. Then one year after that you can buy the collectors edition with darth vader mask and a box of C3-PO's.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

simonbelmont
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Tue 18 Jan 05:01post reply

quote:
but even in the case it was my beloved David Lynch the one following "The Lucas' way" , I'd say the same.

David Lynch will never sell out! He sells a lot of his stuff only on his web site. Overpriced of course but still you have to give him props for cutting out the middle man.

Still waiting for the deleted scenes from Fire Walk With Me. And when the hell will Twin Peaks season 2 be released on dvd? I don't plan on living forever...

I was dissapointed with the dvd censorship of Mulholland Drive. Especially, when they showed the uncut crotch shots in theaters. I really thought Lynch was above all that.

LOTR is highly over rated. I expected a lot more coming from the creator of Bad Taste and Dead Alive.

For real fantasy movies you'd be better off watching Conan the Barbarian, the Beastmaster, or even Lucio Fulci's Conquest. Hell, Willow was more entertaining and original than the LOTR movies.

I'm sure Jackson will get his for being a fat, greedy bastard. His King Kong remake just reeks of failure...

HAYATO
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Tue 18 Jan 05:18post reply

quote:

I was dissapointed with the dvd censorship of Mulholland Drive. Especially, when they showed the uncut crotch shots in theaters. I really thought Lynch was above all that.

I didn't know the Mulholland Drive DVD got censored. Are you talking about the US edition? I'm Spanish, but I figure that my country's edition is based on the US one, so...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
What a pity, I'd also love to see Naomi's crotch. By the way, when did she show her pussy in the theater version? I suppose this should happen during the self-alliviation scene, but I only saw some "underwear hiding a finger" scenes...is that all or are there some deleted shots in that part of the film?

End of Spoiler

quote:

I'm sure Jackson will get his for being a fat, greedy bastard. His King Kong remake just reeks of failure...

Yeah, nobody gives a damn thing for King Kong nowadays...wich seems as a logical fact to me (and likely to everybody else, except for Jackson...)

Hungrywolf
2983th Post

"Re(6):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Tue 18 Jan 06:28post reply

quote:

I never read the books but since I keep reading som many people saying they wanted him in the movies may I ask:
Who the hell is Tom Bombadil and what does he do?

Well, my books are in Atlanta, and it's been a while since I read it, and I just remember I liked that part a lot when I read the books. I do remember that the One Ring didn't affect Tom Bombadil at all. For some reason he made me think of the Green Man from the Wheel of Time books, but maybe not really... hopefully someone here can give you a better idea of who Tom Bombadil is. Of course, i could probably go look it up online.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Undead Fred
2011th Post

"Re(5):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Tue 18 Jan 16:53post reply

quote:
Then one year after that you can buy the collectors edition with darth vader mask and a box of C3-PO's.

May the Force be with you. At breakfast.

simonbelmont
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Wed 19 Jan 16:04post reply

quote:

I didn't know the Mulholland Drive DVD got censored. Are you talking about the US edition? I'm Spanish, but I figure that my country's edition is based on the US one, so...

Got this from IMDB:

The DVD and VHS versions of the film were self-censored by Lynch for sexual content. He had an additional blurring effect added to Laura Harring's crotch in the scene where she climbs into bed with Naomi Watts. The blurring was requested by David Lynch himself because he disapproved of nude pictures of Harring being distributed on the Internet.

I guess if the Spanish version is uncut I'll have to pick it up.

Iggy
5501th Post

"Re(4):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Wed 19 Jan 17:15post reply

quote:
F**k you puny consumers?

Those scenes were not inserted in the movies because it would have broken the rythm of already too long movies. They could have made bad movies. They could have not edited and released those scenes. But, no I guess giving more bonus material is the real way to screw customers, then.
Jackson :"I don't want to add more footage. There's as much in there as we want. Eventually you are just going to go backward and weaken the films."."
Read the pages you're linking to.

Taking them out was a good decision, because it was the director's decision, and he's the one making the movies. The scenes were not finished for the DVD bonusses because it would have cost a lot for nothing, and the DVD already are 12 hours long. I don't think anyone in his right mind could consider himself robbed after buying this, wether they are "ultimate" or not.

quote:
Then, I will download the DVD-rips from eMule instead of buying the original thing, just to show them not to screw the consumers.

Explain me how they screw someone who didn't have the will to buy the stuff in the first place.
Also, explain me how this show anyone anything beside the fact you're a gigantic ass.

quote:
"F**K YOU, JACKSON, YOU ROT AND DIE!!"

So this was the Internet I keep hearing about.
quote:
I don't give a damn thing for LOTR.

Then why are you whinning again ?

People, explain this to me. The guy makes a movie of a book extremely hard to adapt, and do it in a way nobody could have thought possible. He follows the original book (LOTR not original ? of course it isn't, everything in the genre made after it was inspired by it), the hobbits are still hobbits, there is no new hip character added by the producers, they kept the same story, nearly all the characters, and they adapted it in two versions, the version for people who don't want to sit 3 hours for a movie and a version for people who want to see more of the books. He shot the three books together, so he won't have problems of an actor having to leave and being replaced by someone else. He made a work many thought impossible, and he makes it perfectly. I would be fucking proud of myself if I had done it, and I understand how he wants to continue to work on it a little, to show everyone everything he did, even the bits he thinks are weak.
So there are shots that aren't used, and weren't postproducted yet. Beside, they were shots that wasn't to be in the final movies. Which means the movies will stay the same in the next edition in 3 years (not 10, not 15). They won't edit anything, they will just show unrelated bits and explain why they were cut off. You don't want to see them ? Don't buy the DVD. What's so hard to understand ?

"Oh, but I wanted the deleted scenes with the normal edition, because I want them now !"
They need time, and money. Jackson doesn't have the time to do it right now, and they didn't have the money at the time of the first movie to edit things that wouldn't even be in the final edition. So they would have had to release it in 2 or 3 years anyway. Would you have waited until 2008 to have the DVD of the movies?
That's 3 years. You will have had the original movies for 3 years, then there will be a DVD of bonusses you will be able to buy if you still care for the movies at that time. There is a logic gap I fail to perceive.

Damn... I leave for 4 days and I find the BBS lowering at a Game FAQs level... What's wrong with you people ?

Also, I haven't seen any of the movies and don't plan to do it in the near future. But I do respect Jackson for what he did.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

HAYATO
231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Wed 19 Jan 18:47post reply

quote:

Taking them out was a good decision, because it was the director's decision, and he's the one making the movies. The scenes were not finished for the DVD bonusses because it would have cost a lot for nothing, and the DVD already are 12 hours long. I don't think anyone in his right mind could consider himself robbed after buying this, wether they are "ultimate" or not.

The matter is that there are a lot of people not as well informed as us, and they already bought the first DVDs release based on the wrong idea of those being the complete version. How do you think they felt when they discovered that a new "extended edition" was coming 3 or 4 months later? And now, after buying again those 4-DVD-each, deluxe extended editions, how do you think they'd feel if they happen to know about this? Maybe the word "robbed" is a bit soft...

quote:

Then, I will download the DVD-rips from eMule instead of buying the original thing, just to show them not to screw the consumers.
---
Explain me how they screw someone who didn't have the will to buy the stuff in the first place.

I don't know about all potential LOTR consumers around the world, but I know many of them who got (and many who will get)really pissed off after hearing this news.
If you were refering to me, I'd confess I was thinking about getting the extended edition when the price goes down, but now that I know what's going to happen, well, I'll borrow them from a friend and try my new DVD recorder with them...Then , when the "ultimate edition" is released, I'll check it, and judge if it's worth my money or not.In case it is, OK I'll buy them. In case it isn't, I'll just avoid them.

quote:

Also, explain me how this show anyone anything beside the fact you're a gigantic ass.

Thank heavens this is just your personal estimation. If it was anyone else's, I'd start to worry...

quote:

I don't give a damn thing for LOTR.
Then why are you whinning again ?

It's not about the product, it's about the procedures. It doesn't matter to me whether the films are LOTR or the complete Ingmar Bergman collection, there are things that surpass personal likes or dislikes. It's the way he's milking the consumers what makes me angry.

quote:

They won't edit anything, they will just show unrelated bits and explain why they were cut off. You don't want to see them ? Don't buy the DVD. What's so hard to understand ?

"Oh, but I wanted the deleted scenes with the normal edition, because I want them now !"
They need time, and money. Jackson doesn't have the time to do it right now, and they didn't have the money at the time of the first movie to edit things that wouldn't even be in the final edition.

Yeah, I imagine he's too busy cashing his cheques. Being rich and famous is so demanding....

And about the editing...well, I suppose being one of the most awarded and profitable movies in years doesn't help to make a decent DVD release. That should be the reason why he decided to put those awful Elijah Wood shorts, that has nothing to do with LOTR, as extras...or maybe he just wanted to make fun of all those LOTR freaks out there while he steals their money.

I also respect Jackson as director, but he really sucks as businessman!!

DarkZero
1049th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Wed 19 Jan 18:51post reply

quote:
So there are shots that aren't used, and weren't postproducted yet. Beside, they were shots that wasn't to be in the final movies. Which means the movies will stay the same in the next edition in 3 years (not 10, not 15). They won't edit anything, they will just show unrelated bits and explain why they were cut off. You don't want to see them ? Don't buy the DVD. What's so hard to understand ?

Yes, but the problem is that, according to the EGM article, as well as several others that I've read, these scenes WERE postproduced. They were postproduced to the point of adding beautiful visual effects on par with the rest of the films, but they're being held back with the intention of releasing future versions of the film. The people involved with this, until that Jackson quote just now, have been pretty explicit about it. They weren't talking about a little "Deleted Scenes" menu in the next version of the films on whatever medium comes after DVD, they were talking about actually adding them to the films in a future edition, and possibly even in a new theatrical release many years down the line.

I don't really have a problem with it, but it's not like the people here are complaining about "They didn't include the bloopers!" or some crap. They're talking about paying $80 to a film company five years from now to "finish" the films that they've already paid $80 for, essentially buying their favorite movies on a multi-year installment plan.

Iggy
5508th Post

"Re(6):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Wed 19 Jan 19:12:post reply

quote:
The matter is that there are a lot of people not as well informed as us, and they already bought the first DVDs release based on the wrong idea of those being the complete version.

Not knowing something doesn't forgive anything. I knew about the multiple edition, while not caring for the movies, the DVDs, or LoTR in general. It was normally advertized, not something rumored on an unknown foreign BBS. This is not Kill Bill.
Besides, if you think you have been screwed after the first one, then either you don't buy the next 2 DVD or you wait for the long version of them, since, with a little thought, you know the two next movies will follow the same route.
quote:
And now, after buying again those 4-DVD-each, deluxe extended editions, how do you think they'd feel if they happen to know about this?

This is something that will be released in 2 or 3 years, because for now, it doesn't exist, because it hadsn't been properly edited. Right now, they are only sequences without any special effects. Beside, they will not be in the movie, but just more bonus material. 2 or 3 years is not the same as 3 month, and there is work to do, and that will be done on these sequences. I don't understand where is the robbery.
Beside, we don't know how they will be released.

quote:
It's not about the product, it's about the procedures.
It's the way he's milking the consumers what makes me angry.

Where is the milking ? They are making things that don't exist, but they are making them for people who enjoyed the movies and want more. Where is the problem ? Is someone pointing a gun at your head, forbiding you to buy the current edition because something, about which we know nearly nothing because the production hasn't started yet, will be released in a long term future ?

Then, explain me what you would want. Would you rather have those sequences never shown, so that the current edition would remain "ultimate" ?

quote:
Yeah, I imagine he's too busy cashing his cheques. Being rich and famous is so demanding....

I think I missed the point when being rich because you made something great was considered bad. This is not Uwe Boll, Paul W.S. Anderson or Roland Emmerich we're talking about.
Oh, silly me ! I forgot every rich person on this planet is an asshole, because he's rich and I'm not !

quote:
And about the editing...well, I suppose being one of the most awarded and profitable movies in years doesn't help to make a decent DVD release.

Not decent ? What ? how many hours is the complete edition long again ? What did you want, nude pictures of everyone who worked on the movie ?
Beside, it's easy to say how profitable the movie is now, and to forget how everyone said it would be even more terrible then Waterworld before the first movie was released. It's always easier when the war is over.

quote:
those LOTR freaks out there while he steals their money.

Then selling people something they want to see is stealing, I guess. I mean, yeah, they are releasing something in two years, every fan HAS to begin investing so they have the money to buy it AGAIN ! Two years is such a short time span!
Thank god, Capcom stopped releasing good fighting games ! They are not stealing my money anymore, and I am thankful for that.

quote:
They're talking about paying $80 to a film company five years from now to "finish" the films that they've already paid $80 for, essentially buying their favorite movies on a multi-year installment plan.

Jackson says the scenes are not part of the movies as he sees them. Even if some of the scenes have already been edited, all of them are not, or then I don't understand why the director has to go back to work, and why he consider the work to be big enough to wait until his current project is finished. I read the quote again, and I can't understand it in another way than "the movies are finished the way they are now". The director decided to not include them in the movie, not some evil compagny wanting to steal the consumer with their evil ninja DVD that go take your purse when you sleep.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 19 Jan 19:20]

HAYATO
232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 01:46post reply

quote:

And now, after buying again those 4-DVD-each, deluxe extended editions, how do you think they'd feel if they happen to know about this?
This is something that will be released in 2 or 3 years, because for now, it doesn't exist, because it hadsn't been properly edited. Right now, they are only sequences without any special effects. Beside, they will not be in the movie, but just more bonus material.

Well, if it was not intended to be part of the "ultimate cut", why bothering on adding special effects and all the stuff? Why not adding them as extras from the beginning, showing those wonderful blue screens and a bunch of actors fighting a bit?

It seems to me just as an attempt to make the "ultimate edition" appealing, as if they had to work on something that justifies buying the same film again.

Don't take that as an insult, but I think you are too naive if you really believe what Jackson said to the gallery. The truth is almost always behind the scenes, and I give much more credit to the words of those people talking about retaining the images for further use than this crappy excuse of "don't worry, my films are finished". After all, film industry is a business, and every business tries make profits via covering (or creating, in this case) some needs. Remember Lucas, and you'll get a clue of what's going to happen with LOTR from now on...

WTF, even those greedy producers can force him to do that, even without Jackson's consent, just remember David Lynch's "Dune Extended Version" (he never gave his consent to this extended cut, and it was released after all...)

quote:

It's not about the product, it's about the procedures.
It's the way he's milking the consumers what makes me angry.
Where is the milking ? They are making things that don't exist, but they are making them for people who enjoyed the movies and want more. Where is the problem ? Is someone pointing a gun at your head, forbiding you to buy the current edition because something, about which we know nearly nothing because the production hasn't started yet, will be released in a long term future ?

Here's exactly where the milking is. That's the conclussion they want people to come to. Then they'll buy the film twice...

quote:

Then, explain me what you would want. Would you rather have those sequences never shown, so that the current edition would remain "ultimate" ?

If Jackson says the truth, and those scenes are supposed to be out of the final cut, yes. To me, the director's cut is the true, final expression of what he tried to express in a film. Anything else is tivial and disposable, but those are my two cents.

I understand people who like to see behind scenes stuff and some bloopers, but I don't share their point of view. Those people are the ones who are going to be milked, and I feel pity for them. They don't deserve this treatment.

quote:

And about the editing...well, I suppose being one of the most awarded and profitable movies in years doesn't help to make a decent DVD release.
Not decent ? What ? how many hours is the complete edition long again ? What did you want, nude pictures of everyone who worked on the movie ?

Even that would've been better than those Elijah Wood vids...

quote:

Beside, it's easy to say how profitable the movie is now, and to forget how everyone said it would be even more terrible then Waterworld before the first movie was released. It's always easier when the war is over.

Yeah, because it's now when we have to talk. If I'm not much mistaken, first comes the theater release, and some months later, the DVD one, so I think it's a bit pointless to discuss about how decent a DVD release is going to be before you even get the film released in theaters...

There's no need of being a fucking genius to know your film's going to do great when released on DVD, after watching the figures of your theater takings all around the world...and you still have about 5 months to make a decent DVD edition (new cut, bloopers and whatever you want...even those "rejected scenes" he's going to add now).

quote:

those LOTR freaks out there while he steals their money.

Then selling people something they want to see is stealing, I guess. I mean, yeah, they are releasing something in two years, every fan HAS to begin investing so they have the money to buy it AGAIN ! Two years is such a short time span!
Thank god, Capcom stopped releasing good fighting games ! They are not stealing my money anymore, and I am thankful for that.

No, stealing is selling people something they want to see TWICE. Stealing is making people to pay again for something you could have given them the first time you charged them for the product taking advantage on some people's compulsive shopping urges. For instance, stealing is selling people SSF II and some time later, charging them again for SSF II X, because they want more, and can't deny their impulses (they know they are being tricked, but can't avoid buying the "same thing + crappy extra shit" stuff again). And I am thankful for them not stealing my money anymore.

Iggy
5515th Post

"Re(8):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 02:53:post reply

quote:
Well, if it was not intended to be part of the "ultimate cut", why bothering on adding special effects and all the stuff?

Why not, really ? If it's going to be pleasing to the eye ?
quote:
It seems to me just as an attempt to make the "ultimate edition" appealing, as if they had to work on something that justifies buying the same film again.

But does it justify it ? No, it doesn't, in your opinion. So ? Don't buy it.
What is the problem here ? The current copy you can buy was the best 2 days ago. In two years, it won't be; but it will still be as good.
But, yeah, the cool kids at school will have both editions, and if you don't have both, they won't accept you as one of them and beat you and take your lunch money.
Therefore you have to buy the newest version, even though you were satisfied with the version you had. OK, I understand now.
quote:
WTF, even those greedy producers can force him to do that, even without Jackson's consent, just remember David Lynch's "Dune Extended Version" (he never gave his consent to this extended cut, and it was released after all...)

That's exactly what I was going to say (even though both Dunes are crappy).
Lynch considers the other version to be his cut, therefore I consider it to be legitimate and I have even less interest in the other one (I mean, I wouldn't have had if the movie had been good). At most, I would have watched the scenes that were added to see the characters I like in more situations, but I would have sticked with the director's version.
quote:
if you really believe what Jackson said to the gallery.

Which means that what he said to the gallery, in other words "my film is finished", is what I believe indeed. If there is an artificial expension of the movies, I would think "this is not what the director wants" and I wouldn't waste my money on them.

quote:
Here's exactly where the milking is. That's the conclussion they want people to come to. Then they'll buy the film twice...

Or not. Nobody will force them. If they buy it twice, then it will mean they will have seen in the new edition something that is worth the money. If they don't think it's worth it, they won't. Or if they do, then they are morons.

quote:
If Jackson says the truth, and those scenes are supposed to be out of the final cut, yes. To me, the director's cut is the true, final expression of what he tried to express in a film. Anything else is tivial and disposable, but those are my two cents.

Yes, like all the bonus materials. It's Like a movie that has an alternate ending; it's interesting to try to understand what the director thought when he shot those, and to try to see why he did those choices. Of course they are trivial and disposable.

quote:
Those people are the ones who are going to be milked, and I feel pity for them. They don't deserve this treatment.

If those people don't think the new edition deserve their money and buy it nonetheless, then I call them cows and I feel pity for them and their impossibility to curve their will to the most basic common sense. They don't deserve that much brain cells.

quote:
Stealing is making people to pay again for something you could have given them the first time you charged them for the product taking advantage on some people's compulsive shopping urges.

Stealing from idiots is not a very noble thing, but it's so funny I can't really blame those who do it.

quote:
For instance, stealing is selling people SSF II and some time later, charging them again for SSF II X, because they want more, and can't deny their impulses

Shit! That was the example I wanted to use !
I hate you.
quote:
(they know they are being tricked, but can't avoid buying the "same thing + crappy extra shit" stuff again).
Well, you know, it's very easy to avoid it. It's called "not buy the game", or at best, "buy another game". I worked wonders to me until now, and I want to think it is not a difficult thing to do.

Also, being tricked would be better described as "a game with 35 characters" when there are only 8, or "This is the very ultimate edition and we swear to God we won't make any after this one" when they release one 2 years after. And to my knowledge, none of the two sentences was written on SF2 or the LotR boxes.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 20 Jan 03:42]

Hungrywolf
2985th Post

"Re(8):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 03:31post reply

quote:
Remember Lucas

I remember that Lucas never released the original theatrical release of Star Wars on DVD for me. At least we have the original release of LOTR. Oh, and when Lucas re-released Star Wars in theatres with added footage, it was footage that he couldn't have put in the movie back in the 70's because he couldn't do it with the technology (though I think the moving Jabba in the Special Addition of A New Hope looks horrible. I still love Star Wars though). In addition, at least Jackson isn't replacing one actor in his original films with a new younger actor (like Lucas did in the DVD release of ROTJ (my favorite of the original trilogy)). I still haven't gotten the DVDs of Star Wars because of how much that bothers me. I'll probably eventually cave though. I need to convert my VHS of the orignal trilogy onto DVD.

Hungry Like the Wolf

HAYATO
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 05:28post reply

quote:

But does it justify it ? No, it doesn't, in your opinion. So ? Don't buy it.
What is the problem here ? The current copy you can buy was the best 2 days ago. In two years, it won't be; but it will still be as good.
But, yeah, the cool kids at school will have both editions, and if you don't have both, they won't accept you as one of them and beat you and take your lunch money.
Therefore you have to buy the newest version, even though you were satisfied with the version you had. OK, I understand now.

This poor attempt of a pun is just a sad social reality. It may be not so harsh and tragic, but the whole world is full of easily influenced people that buy things because they want to be accepted or just because it's trendy to be an "XXX" fan. But they represent sales after all, no matter whether they like what they bought or not. Shit, there's people that don't even open the figurines they buy, just for them not to lose collector's value (I mean the figurines).They treat them as some kind of long-term inversion...

So never understimate the power of freak people (nor their money...)

quote:

Or not. Nobody will force them. If they buy it twice, then it will mean they will have seen in the new edition something that is worth the money. If they don't think it's worth it, they won't. Or if they do, then they are morons.

You'd be surprised of how many people I know who are like that... it's just the sense of completion what fills them, many of them don't even need to open the case, they are whole just after knowing they have added "XXX" missed item to their collection.

quote:

Those people are the ones who are going to be milked, and I feel pity for them. They don't deserve this treatment.
If those people don't think the new edition deserve their money and buy it nonetheless, then I call them cows and I feel pity for them and their impossibility to curve their will to the most basic common sense. They don't deserve that much brain cells.

Just answered in the previous paragraph...

quote:

Stealing from idiots is not a very noble thing, but it's so funny I can't really blame those who do it.

You are mean and evil. You made me sad. Are you satisfied now?

quote:

they know they are being tricked, but can't avoid buying the "same thing + crappy extra shit" stuff again).

Well, you know, it's very easy to avoid it. It's called "not buy the game", or at best, "buy another game". I worked wonders to me until now, and I want to think it is not a difficult thing to do.

Better for you to think this way. Unfortunately, I know the truth...and what a disgusting truth is!!!

quote:

Also, being tricked would be better described as "a game with 35 characters" when there are only 8,

I think we were done talking about SF...don't name the Alphas now...

Lupin
2871th Post

"Re(5):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 09:36:post reply

quote:
F**k you puny consumers?
Those scenes were not inserted in the movies because it would have broken the rythm of already too long movies. They could have made bad movies. They could have not edited and released those scenes. But, no I guess giving more bonus material is the real way to screw customers, then.
Jackson :"I don't want to add more footage. There's as much in there as we want. Eventually you are just going to go backward and weaken the films."."
What is this? Dun like my Mr. Show reference. You're arguing about stuff I didn't bring up. They are trying to get people to buy the same product over and over, whether they know there's going to be a next edition or not. You know there's some executives holding back stuff thinking they're a pimp..
quote:

Read the pages you're linking to.

I did. I was responding to DarkZero's quote, "No, from the deleted scenes that they're holding back for the future editions of the trilogy."

Let's say someone doesn't know there's a next version of something (which many people who follow LOTR wouldn't if they don't keep up with rumors and leaks and such). They see a painting they like and buy it. Then after they spend their money, the dealer pulls out a 2nd larger painting they were hiding. The customer already spent money on a painting that was a duplicate of this one, only this 2nd painting has an extra 10cm of image on each side. He'd feel ripped off. Even if they read the DZ's mentioned article it would still be disappointing for many poor little LOTR fans.

quote:
Is someone pointing a gun at your head, forbiding you to buy the current edition
Well it's not as if there are no such problems or personal taste that comes before we reach guns or rape or something.

The LOTR thing wouldn't be so bad if they released a bonus disk with all the remaining features, one that you could buy separetly and put in the empty slot in your just purchased LOTR box, if they weren't planning on making the fans wait 15 or any such a large number of years for it all. (While a few years would be more reasonable.)

Most consumers in a situation like LOTR fans would be in, would feel like they were getting played.

P.S. Nobody delights in Capcom for making 30 versions of SF2, when there perhaps should have only been no more than say 3, their fans are the most pained by it.
quote:
Damn... I leave for 4 days and I find the BBS lowering at a Game FAQs level... What's wrong with you people ?

quote:
I think I missed the point when being rich because you made something great was considered bad. This is not Uwe Boll, Paul W.S. Anderson or Roland Emmerich we're talking about.
Oh, silly me ! I forgot every rich person on this planet is an asshole, because he's rich and I'm not !

God damn stop being such a Republican!1!
You will have to change your name to Iggington Rockafeller Von Igglezworth.

quote:
Also, I haven't seen any of the movies and don't plan to do it in the near future. But I do respect Jackson for what he did.

[this message was edited by Lupin on Thu 20 Jan 11:15]

Phoenix
682th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 10:14post reply

Seems to me that this shouldn't really come off as a surprise. I mean what did you expect in the age of commercialism? Plus LOTR Trilogy was quite possibly the BIGGEST film making project ever.

If the extra stuff is like 10-15 minutes of crap then that's BS. But if the extra stuff is hours and hours of polished scenes that took lots of time and money to create but couldn't be shown to the public before due to time constraints... Then that's ok I guess.

So yes, they're milking. But at least they are not milking people with crap. (it still amazes me that they still have tons of new extra stuff- even after all the extra stuff in the extended edition) I guess I'll buy the "ultimate" edition like 3 years from now. (3 years not 15 years)

Lupin
2870th Post

"Re(2):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 11:09post reply

quote:
Of course. Did you really think it would end with the EE DVDs?
Yes of course it wouldn't end. Didn't think it would
quote:
The theatrical and EE releases are completely competent, reasonable releases... So "one more" isn't really going overboard.

There really was no proper ultimate set including all three films anyway. These films deserve it.

Iggy
5515th Post

"Re(10):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T.R. DVD" , posted Thu 20 Jan 17:20post reply

quote:
You are mean and evil.

Why, thank you !
I need some cheering up today.
quote:
You made me sad. Are you satisfied now?

Ah.
So you didn't meant the sentence before as an approval ?
I'm sad as well now.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。

Ammadeau
1262th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T." , posted Fri 21 Jan 00:18post reply

They have so many alternate versions (no prologue, Gandalf giving up smoking, etc) of things and different takes that they could probably rebuild the entire trilogy from entirely different footage that was never used at all. I think they would only have to copy the big effects shots since it would just be too expensive to remake them.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Mokona
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Jackson wants yet another L.O.T." , posted Fri 21 Jan 00:31post reply

Did you see the Easter egg on the 2nd DVD of the EE, with Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller. That was really funny shit.

If anyone thought they would stop at the EE, I think they were being naive. (since the EE wasn't dubbed "Director's cut", they always have room for more versions... and Lucas proved you can change/add scenes to your own movie whenever/as much ever as you want).

Blah!

Grahf
320th Post

Bronze Customer

"Off-Topic: Kill Bill?" , posted Fri 21 Jan 15:42post reply

Speaking of special edition DVDs, does anyone know if there are plans for special releases of the Kill Bill movies? I've been holding off buying the regular DVDs in case they do.

Iggy
5527th Post

"Re(1):Off-Topic: Kill Bill?" , posted Fri 21 Jan 20:33post reply

quote:
Speaking of special edition DVDs, does anyone know if there are plans for special releases of the Kill Bill movies? I've been holding off buying the regular DVDs in case they do.

There were plenty of plans for several different deluxe versions of the movies announced by Miramax, each one having something the other wouldn't have (I don't remember exactly, but for example one would have extended version of the movies, the other would have both movies made in one, etc).

But now, several month have passed, and nothing was released beside the normal version. Are they waiting one more year so everybody forgets about this announcement and buy the vanilla DVDs? Are they working on something worthwile like "a real deluxe edition with everything"? Have they changed their minds?

This assholic announcement of Miramax is the reason why I don't understand why people are angry at Jackson. At least they have a good edition of LotR.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。