Request: short stories with military context - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1514 Views )

Kikkoken
797th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Request: short stories with military context" , posted Wed 12 Jan 03:56:post reply

To all MMC members who are keen on reading: would anyone know short stories that take place in a military context (any of the 3 services)? I want to spend a few classes with my military students on a short story not exceeding 20 pages, and not too technical (Tom Clancy is too hard for them, remember they're French yougnsters learning English).

[this message was edited by Kikkoken on Wed 12 Jan 03:58]

Replies:

Burning Kyo
2239th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Request: short stories with military co" , posted Wed 12 Jan 04:03post reply

"Once upon a time in a military school, Burning Kyo, Iggy & Kikkoken are having a shower after an extenuating 12-hour KOF frenzy. Kikkoken drops the cake of soap ..."

I don't know neither the title nor the author of this story , but this extract already sounds interesting.

[Live fast // Die young]

Iggy
5459th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Request: short stories with military co" , posted Wed 12 Jan 04:08post reply

I think you should use a more neutral av&tag when you're posting serious stuff.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。

Kikkoken
797th Post

"Re(2):Request: short stories with military co" , posted Thu 13 Jan 04:38post reply

quote:
I think you should use a more neutral av&tag when you're posting serious stuff.

How can Clark's smelly armpits as exposed in my tag, & Lawrence's meaty behind not earn me many answers?

Burning Ranger
1005th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Request: short stories with military co" , posted Thu 13 Jan 05:41post reply

quote:
To all MMC members who are keen on reading: would anyone know short stories that take place in a military context (any of the 3 services)? I want to spend a few classes with my military students on a short story not exceeding 20 pages, and not too technical (Tom Clancy is too hard for them, remember they're French yougnsters learning English).

I recommend the short story "The Things The Carried" by Tim O'Brien. O'Brien is a well known and prestigious. I believe even the French government or some French organization honored O'Brien for this story. The story is about the experience of an Army Platoon in the Vietnam war. I highly recommend it.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Kikkoken
798th Post

"Re(2):Request: short stories with military co" , posted Fri 14 Jan 02:02post reply

quote:

I recommend the short story "The Things The Carried" by Tim O'Brien. O'Brien is a well known and prestigious. I believe even the French government or some French organization honored O'Brien for this story. The story is about the experience of an Army Platoon in the Vietnam war. I highly recommend it.

Thank you very much, Burning Ranger, I'll definitely give it a try.

Burning Ranger
1006th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Request: short stories with military co" , posted Fri 14 Jan 02:32post reply

quote:

Thank you very much, Burning Ranger, I'll definitely give it a try.

Correction, the title is called "The Things They Carried."

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."