need RBO help - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2988 Views )

kilvear
56th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"need RBO help" , posted Sat 8 Jan 19:50post reply

Was wondering how do I get the secret job class and the extra stage in the game?

If there any websites to recommend on the mechanics of the game?

I am here I'm there I'm everywhere then again I am just in front of the computer.

Replies:

kilvear
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 00:24post reply

quote:
Was wondering how do I get the secret job class and the extra stage in the game?

If there any websites to recommend on the mechanics of the game?

Ah never mind I managed to find the secret character anyways.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Novice is a bad joke. Everything kills you in the game. Walking is faster than running. All the novice's slashes has ways of making himself/herself trip =\ How am I gonna to get the extra stage with this character O_o

End of Spoiler

I am here I'm there I'm everywhere then again I am just in front of the computer.

Bata kun
2447th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 00:38post reply

Ah, you're so lucky. I won't be getting that game until next month most likely, the end of the month at the earliest.

Pollyanna
739th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:23post reply

Is the game good? It looks nice enough, but I was much more pumped about the Touhou fighting game, which I love like my own child. I didn't expect the final version to be so much better than the demo.

kilvear
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:49post reply

quote:
Ah, you're so lucky. I won't be getting that game until next month most likely, the end of the month at the earliest.

Honestly I've been eyeing on it for a while. I saved a lump of cashed just for it =)

quote:
Pollyanna

Is the game good? It looks nice enough, but I was much more pumped about the Touhou fighting game, which I love like my own child. I didn't expect the final version to be so much better than the demo.

Hmm Touhou. I played the beta. Have not tried the trial. I heard the full has only 6 characters?

As for RBO its kinda of like hack and slash everything 2D style. Normal game is really short unless you consider the extra stage and secret character.

Game honestly reminds me of playing both Gungraves. Just kill everything =D

P.S. The game makes fun of bots, mobbers and mages who can't handle their mob alot.

VManOfMana
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:50post reply

quote:

I haven't played it yet, but for what I have been told the game has a poor replay value if you play it alone. I guess this is the kind of game you need to play with your friends, as it is the case of most beat em ups.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Nate
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:57post reply

I just wish the game wouldn't crash whenever I tried to play level 7. So much for getting the secret characters...unless I find another version or a patch. Meh.

And I have a kickass archer built up too, dammit.

That's one cool thing about the game, by the way. Much like in Ragnarok Online, you can distribute points to stats and skills. Adding points to Double Strafing gives you Arrow Shower, for example.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Pollyanna
740th Post

"Re(6):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 10:37post reply

How many people can play RBO at once?

Anyway, the Touhou fighter...well, I'd say it didn't have enough characters if it was anything like a normal fighting game, but it's not. It took me a good 2 hours to figure out how to play the game and it seems like everything I know from other fighters actually works AGAINST me in that game.

Every character is really unique, too...so I think it works out OK. Also, there is a boss, a hidden character and a hidden boss that are all unlockable, making for a decent cast. I'm sure there will be additions later as well.

The story mode is also really cool and unique...quite different from the arcade mode. And I was surprised to see that the game had totally different music than the demo versions (though those songs were included as well). Unless you're turned off by a really different fighter, the game comes with my highest possible recommendation.

Spoon
714th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 10:43post reply

quote:

Anyway, the Touhou fighter...well, I'd say it didn't have enough characters if it was anything like a normal fighting game, but it's not. It took me a good 2 hours to figure out how to play the game and it seems like everything I know from other fighters actually works AGAINST me in that game.

Every character is really unique, too...so I think it works out OK. Also, there is a boss, a hidden character and a hidden boss that are all unlockable, making for a decent cast. I'm sure there will be additions later as well.

The story mode is also really cool and unique...quite different from the arcade mode. And I was surprised to see that the game had totally different music than the demo versions (though those songs were included as well). Unless you're turned off by a really different fighter, the game comes with my highest possible recommendation.

Game needs more throws.

Nate
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 10:52post reply

quote:

I believe it's three.

I'm not sure how certain support skills work in a multiplayer situation but I'm going to assume that like in Guardian Heroes or the D&D arcade games you just need to be within the area of the spell's effect to have it work on you. It wouldn't make sense for the Acolytes to only be able to heal themselves....not that you can't clear a level without the ability to heal anyway, but yeah.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

kilvear
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 11:55post reply

quote:

Hmm mind giving an example of how the game mechanics is like?

My PC is all hooked up for 3 person play for RBO but nobody I know is up for it =\

Bata kun
2449th Post

"Re(8):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 12:27post reply

Anyone know if the mage is no longer broken for the lack of a better word? Oh yeah. Don't make a balanced archer. I didn't last that long with one. =P

Nate
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 12:36post reply

quote:
Anyone know if the mage is no longer broken for the lack of a better word? Oh yeah. Don't make a balanced archer. I didn't last that long with one. =P

Were you putting points into INT or STR...? I put points into LUK but still managed to have a decent character. I managed to beat the Doppelganger boss without much difficulty, anyway...

...if only I could play PAST that stage, ugh.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Bata kun
2451th Post

"Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 13:09post reply

quote:

Were you putting points into INT or STR...? I put points into LUK but still managed to have a decent character. I managed to beat the Doppelganger boss without much difficulty, anyway...

Yeah. Obviously, you have be a melee archer at times and you also will need to use up a good amount of your skill points. That's why I made a melee/balanced archer. =P

Nate
399th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 13:42post reply

quote:

Yeah. Obviously, you have be a melee archer at times and you also will need to use up a good amount of your skill points. That's why I made a melee/balanced archer. =P

Actually, my STR hasn't risen above the single digits and I still do decent damage with my melee attacks...when I decide to use them. I'm a lot more reliant on arrows, though. If you put two or three points into the arrow reload skill, you get five arrows a pop, which is pretty good.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

kilvear
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 16:52post reply

quote:

Tried changing the program compability? Are you using Win XP?

Nate
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 17:01post reply

quote:

Yep, I'm using XP and I already changed the compatibility. When I try to play stage 7, I can hear music but the stage will never load. Then the music starts to skip and the program eventually closes itself.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

kilvear
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 17:17post reply

quote:

Yep, I'm using XP and I already changed the compatibility. When I try to play stage 7, I can hear music but the stage will never load. Then the music starts to skip and the program eventually closes itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

Try using this to change the unicode language settings if you dun want to use japanese unicode =)

I hope this helps if not you probably want to try reinstall the game.

Nate
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 17:24post reply

quote:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

Try using this to change the unicode language settings if you dun want to use japanese unicode =)

I hope this helps if not you probably want to try reinstall the game.

Yep, got that too. I probably should just reinstall the damn game. Maybe if I copy all my character data I can still use it after reinstalling.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Pollyanna
741th Post

"Re(8):need RBO help" , posted Mon 10 Jan 18:33post reply

quote:

You can download a demo that will speak better for the game than I can.

I guess the primary difference from normal fighters is that moves very rarely link together, so you can't do anything like a jumpkick/uppercut/special move combo. Rather, you throw out a series of projectiles/special moves/attacks in a sort of strategic way to try and set up your opponent. Your opponent can do the same, of course, so it's hard to predict what will happen in any given case. It's a great system, but for fighting fans, it's initially very frustrating.

I'm sure someone can describe the system more eloquently than I can, as I'm not willing to write an essay on it right now. To put it simply, you have 2 attack buttons that can do anything from punch to shoot bubbles across the screen. You have a "shot" button that does a variety of projectile patterns like you'd see in a shooting game. You also have a "dash" button that causes you to run forward, through projectiles. You have a stamina gauge that depletes with most attacks or blocks and limits how many different projectiles/impressive attacks you can throw at an opponent at once.

When you have a level (or levels) you can activate a "spell card" which rejuvinates a good deal of life and allows you to do your (pre selected) super move for a limited time. It takes a level each time you do it and you can only activate your spell card once per round.

Oh yeah, and there are "bombs" which blow the enemy away from you.

Oh, and story mode has "levels" rather than rounds, where your opponent has up to 5 lifebars, each with a different spell pattern. When they activate a spell, they will usually do that spell nonstop until you defeat them. The spells are specially made for story mode and have a noticable pattern and weakness.

That's the tip of the iceberg at least.

Mav
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Tue 11 Jan 07:49post reply

quote:

Yep, got that too. I probably should just reinstall the damn game. Maybe if I copy all my character data I can still use it after reinstalling.

Character data can be copied, but try freeing up some system resources, first. We couldn't get into the third level's boss until freeing up more resources magically made it work.

Spoon
715th Post

"Re(9):need RBO help" , posted Tue 11 Jan 11:41post reply

quote:

I guess the primary difference from normal fighters is that moves very rarely link together, so you can't do anything like a jumpkick/uppercut/special move combo. Rather, you throw out a series of projectiles/special moves/attacks in a sort of strategic way to try and set up your opponent. Your opponent can do the same, of course, so it's hard to predict what will happen in any given case. It's a great system, but for fighting fans, it's initially very frustrating.

I'm sure someone can describe the system more eloquently than I can, as I'm not willing to write an essay on it right now. To put it simply, you have 2 attack buttons that can do anything from punch to shoot bubbles across the screen. You have a "shot" button that does a variety of projectile patterns like you'd see in a shooting game. You also have a "dash" button that causes you to run forward, through projectiles. You have a stamina gauge that depletes with most attacks or blocks and limits how many different projectiles/impressive attacks you can throw at an opponent at once.

When you have a level (or levels) you can activate a "spell card" which rejuvinates a good deal of life and allows you to do your (pre selected) super move for a limited time. It takes a level each time you do it and you can only activate your spell card once per round.

Oh, and story mode has "levels" rather than rounds, where your opponent has up to 5 lifebars, each with a different spell pattern. When they activate a spell, they will usually do that spell nonstop until you defeat them. The spells are specially made for story mode and have a noticable pattern and weakness.

Positively speaking, it's in the style of Psychic Force, except that it doesn't play like garbage and looks really good.

Cynically speaking, it's like MvC2 spam wall all day.

The PCB joke is funny. I think. Maybe I'm reading too deeply.

Non-obvious details:
The game is heavily focused on meter management, including super meter, attack meter, life meter (yours and opponent's), and even spell card timer. This ESPECIALLY goes for story mode, where successful meter management is the difference between annihilating your opponent with barely a scratch on you, or getting beaten down hardcore (see: CPU Youmu vs. Patchouli when Youmu gets the three shadow clones).

Exchanges are decisive. E.g. MvC2: Cable throws grenade, opponent throws Cable, opponent thus lands on grenade. Oops.
In this game, there are few projectiles that are not instantly vanished the moment the player unleashing them is hit, and not even counter-hit. Say Sakuya throws some slow knives and runs around for awhile. 7 seconds later, gets hit: her knives disappear. This is very, very jarring for a long while, because seeking to trade doesn't work well with projectiles (does work with melee hits). This is even more jarring in Story mode, as CPU often has uber attacks that do not vanish when CPU is hit.

For a game with a rather odd high-low game and reams of projectiles, throws are given to only a select few. I don't know why this is, but it is so. If there's any argument about spam walls yielding cheap throws, do it the Capcom way: make characters in blockstun unthrowable.

Many characters play radically different in story mode. Sakuya is mad nerfed in story mode because two of 3 supers see her floating/standing there for a good long time firing stuff. This is ok normally when you hit someone b/c they get comboed, but in story mode the CPU has hyper armor like 80% of the time.

Sakuya fails to say "THE WORLD!" when she stops time. -10 points.

Game is so weird that it hasn't been definitely broken yet. It is possible that many who bought the game are just fanboys who can't actually play fighting games well. It is also possible that only hardcores bought the game because it is so hardcore and they too are weirded out by it.

Kilvear
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Tue 11 Jan 21:18post reply

quote:

Positively speaking, it's in the style of Psychic Force, except that it doesn't play like garbage and looks really good.

Cynically speaking, it's like MvC2 spam wall all day.

The PCB joke is funny. I think. Maybe I'm reading too deeply.

Non-obvious details:
The game is heavily focused on meter management, including super meter, attack meter, life meter (yours and opponent's), and even spell card timer. This ESPECIALLY goes for story mode, where successful meter management is the difference between annihilating your opponent with barely a scratch on you, or getting beaten down hardcore (see: CPU Youmu vs. Patchouli when Youmu gets the three shadow clones).

Exchanges are decisive. E.g. MvC2: Cable throws grenade, opponent throws Cable, opponent thus lands on grenade. Oops.
In this game, there are few projectiles that are not instantly vanished the moment the player unleashing them is hit, and not even counter-hit. Say Sakuya throws some slow knives and runs around for awhile. 7 seconds later, gets hit: her knives disappear. This is very, very jarring for a long while, because seeking to trade doesn't work well with projectiles (does work with melee hits). This is even more jarring in Story mode, as CPU often has uber attacks that do not vanish when CPU is hit.

For a game with a rather odd high-low game and reams of projectiles, throws are given to only a select few. I don't know why this is, but it is so. If there's any argument about spam walls yielding cheap throws, do it the Capcom way: make characters in blockstun unthrowable.

Many characters play radically different in story mode. Sakuya is mad nerfed in story mode because two of 3 supers see her floating/standing there for a good long time firing stuff. This is ok normally when you hit someone b/c they get comboed, but in story mode the CPU has hyper armor like 80% of the time.

Sakuya fails to say "THE WORLD!" when she stops time. -10 points.

Game is so weird that it hasn't been definitely broken yet. It is possible that many who bought the game are just fanboys who can't actually play fighting games well. It is also possible that only hardcores bought the game because it is so hardcore and they too are weirded out by it.

Sakuya doesn't say "THE WORLD" when she stops time? NOOO! -50 points of sexiness.

I give the trial a try. Hopefully it doesn't weird me out totally that I dun touch the retail version.

Kilvear
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Something weird dropped out of a Whisper" , posted Sat 15 Jan 02:21post reply

I found this out of a whisper after killing it. No I can't pick it up for some reason.

http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~kilvear/junk/apple.jpg

Somebody cure me of RO fanboy sickness.

VManOfMana
585th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Sat 15 Jan 03:09post reply

There is some good Immaterial and Missing Power in shoryuken.com and Eternal Romancia (http://kalciane.tnim.org/mb/)

I haven't played the game myself because I am still too mucn into Eternal Fighter Zero, but since the game is also made by Tasofro I will sure give it a try. The only thing I know for sure is that this is not your traditional fighter.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

OmegaDog
1409th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Something weird dropped out of a Whispe" , posted Sat 15 Jan 03:18post reply

quote:
I found this out of a whisper after killing it. No I can't pick it up for some reason.

http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~kilvear/junk/apple.jpg

Probably poking fun at the fact that, in RO, each monster has a 1/10000 chance of dropping an apple. It often follows with screams of agony about why the apple dropped instead of a card or rare armor -- though the screams most often come from folks who treat the game more like a responsibility instead of just something fun to do (at least while it's still fun).

CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 20

Pollyanna
754th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Sat 15 Jan 08:26post reply

quote:

I haven't played the game myself because I am still too mucn into Eternal Fighter Zero, but since the game is also made by Tasofro I will sure give it a try. The only thing I know for sure is that this is not your traditional fighter.

I really loved EFZ, but only after all of the upgrades. It wasn't until I downloaded the final patch off of the page that I felt the game had truly reached its potential. I thought it was slightly awkward at first, took a while to get down, but was totally original and wildly enjoyable once you learned a character. Tohou (is it Musou? I keep seeing people call it that) is at that level with twice the innovation WITHOUT upgrades and additions. I really can't wait to see when/if they add more.

I liked Melty Blood a lot, but somehow I just had more fun playing EFZ against the computer. (naturally, nobody wanted to play me)

kilvear
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):need RBO help" , posted Sat 15 Jan 12:57post reply

quote:

I really loved EFZ, but only after all of the upgrades. It wasn't until I downloaded the final patch off of the page that I felt the game had truly reached its potential. I thought it was slightly awkward at first, took a while to get down, but was totally original and wildly enjoyable once you learned a character. Tohou (is it Musou? I keep seeing people call it that) is at that level with twice the innovation WITHOUT upgrades and additions. I really can't wait to see when/if they add more.

I liked Melty Blood a lot, but somehow I just had more fun playing EFZ against the computer. (naturally, nobody wanted to play me)

I like EFZ's system. It has a lot of depth in the gameplay.

Meltyblood takes alot of getting used to for me as there's several mechanics in the game I have diffuclty using like Shielding.

Lupin
2852th Post

"touhou" , posted Sat 15 Jan 14:52post reply

quote:

I played the touhou game. It was really slow on the computer it was on. It was fun to shoot instead of punching and kicking.

Kilvear
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):need RBO help" , posted Sun 16 Jan 23:50post reply

Finally after much time.

http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~kilvear/junk/novicef.jpg

Professor
2207th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Does the game run on Win98?" , posted Thu 20 Jan 10:14:post reply

I'm thinking of purchasing RBO... Issue is, the game's package says that it runs on Win 2K/XP, but I'm still operating on 98. Has anyone tried running RBO on Win98? (The demo ran, but then again.. it's a demo.)

Tohou takes a big leap from the traditional fighter game. Everyone has a huge selection of projectile attacks. The arcade mode kind of has a shooting game atmosphere since some of the enemies shoot out crazy beam patterns. Fortunately, you're immune to shots while you're dashing, super jumping, or pulling out certain special moves.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 20 Jan 10:23]

Spoon
720th Post

"Re(1):Does the game run on Win98?" , posted Thu 20 Jan 11:16post reply

quote:
I'm thinking of purchasing RBO... Issue is, the game's package says that it runs on Win 2K/XP, but I'm still operating on 98. Has anyone tried running RBO on Win98? (The demo ran, but then again.. it's a demo.)

The XP thing is actually rather misleading; it won't run in XP unless you set the application compatibility mode to Windows 95 of all things.

quote:

Tohou takes a big leap from the traditional fighter game. Everyone has a huge selection of projectile attacks. The arcade mode kind of has a shooting game atmosphere since some of the enemies shoot out crazy beam patterns. Fortunately, you're immune to shots while you're dashing, super jumping, or pulling out certain special moves.

It's like Psychic Force, except that it's also a good game.

Pollyanna
763th Post

"Re(2):Does the game run on Win98?" , posted Thu 20 Jan 12:09post reply

quote:

The XP thing is actually rather misleading; it won't run in XP unless you set the application compatibility mode to Windows 95 of all things.

I just got the game and run it normally in XP Professional if that means anything. I've heard everywhere that you have to change the compatability, but for some reason, I didn't.

Zepy
1024th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Does the game run on Win98?" , posted Thu 20 Jan 12:12post reply

I still can't complete with noviceeeee. I didn't know about the novice's extra command skills until just today though, maybe I can finish the game this time...

The mechanics of the RBO is quite interesting. I was wondering why the swordman's bash sucked so much until I actually read the manual, then I started learning how to do 20000 damage bashes.

Acolyte's Luna Buster Lariat rocks. お兄ちゃんどいて!そいつ殺せない!

kilvear
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Does the game run on Win98?" , posted Thu 20 Jan 12:49:post reply

quote:

I just got the game and run it normally in XP Professional if that means anything. I've heard everywhere that you have to change the compatability, but for some reason, I didn't.

When it didn't run intially I banged my machine around thinking it was throwing tantrums.

The i remembered the demo having the same problem.

I am still wondering why the game can't run in my XP windows environment still.

It seems like a majority of the users are having problems running the game as well.

Edit - Typos

[this message was edited by kilvear on Thu 20 Jan 13:00]