Is Hollywood dead? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2586 Views )

sushi_bunny
339th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 12:05post reply

Independent odd "Misfit" stories at a creative angle are much different than a shallow-scripted streamlined, Hollywood quick, sensationalist captialist, trendsetting movie that the general concensus of raisin brained buffoons would watch. (I.E.= your bad beend there seen that movie here])

I find that some films are less insightful and had zero significant meaning. Most of the ones that are comimg out on DVD just didn't coordinate with my mind, or I found a good fit with my personal preference.

I may sound inconsiderate, but it's my preference since some of these movies are unrealistic and some of the messages conveyed cannot be realiztically applied in our lifetime.

I feel dull and irritable watching some of these stupid films, since I would think that they are contrived, recycled, uninsightful, unrevolutionary or fixed in a manner that was obvious and predictable.

It seems that the majority of Hollywood movies are idealistic = (super hot skimpy models with meager storyline) Some films I feel they haven't really make me feel involved, or consistently maintained it's illusion.

I seem to watch more independent films that help me with an important message to the world.

On the other hand, anything with social, political, emotional, comedic satire that was GENUINELY preordained or fixed with witty remarks or converstaion, I would consider platinum films: [IE: Clerks] that anyone can relate and identify, to in real life.

Clerks, YES IS OFFENSIVE and has tons of derogatory remarks, but coordinates with coherent humor that was well thought of. I guess I just enjoy criticizing Hollywood nowadays, and some movies do hinder creating new brain cells (iE: Soul Plane).

I dont understand why some of the movie board executives release these turds, and let the test audiences release these movies on the screen.

Anyone have a comment on this? I just thought of this at work today.

sushi

Replies:

Freeter
4265th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Hollywood if she could" , posted Thu 6 Jan 12:40post reply

quote:
I seem to watch more independent films that help me with an important message to the world.

I take it you won't be watching the forthcoming DOA movie, then...

Hungrywolf
2977th Post

"Re(1):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 14:03post reply

quote:
Independent odd "Misfit" stories at a creative angle are much different than a shallow-scripted streamlined, Hollywood quick, sensationalist captialist, trendsetting movie that the general concensus of raisin brained buffoons would watch. (I.E.= your bad beend there seen that movie here])

I find that some films are less insightful and had zero significant meaning. Most of the ones that are comimg out on DVD just didn't coordinate with my mind, or I found a good fit with my personal preference.

I may sound inconsiderate, but it's my preference since some of these movies are unrealistic and some of the messages conveyed cannot be realiztically applied in our lifetime.

I feel dull and irritable watching some of these stupid films, since I would think that they are contrived, recycled, uninsightful, unrevolutionary or fixed in a manner that was obvious and predictable.

It seems that the majority of Hollywood movies are idealistic = (super hot skimpy models with meager storyline) Some films I feel they haven't really make me feel involved, or consistently maintained it's illusion.

On the other hand, anything with social, political, emotional, comedic satire that was GENUINELY preordained or fixed with witty remarks or converstaion, I would consider platinum films: [IE: Clerks] that anyone can relate and identify, to in real life.

Clerks, YES IS OFFENSIVE and has tons of derogatory remarks, but coordinates with coherent humor that was well thought of. I guess I just enjoy criticizing Hollywood nowadays, and some movies do hinder creating new brain cells (iE: Soul Plane).

I dont understand why some of the movie board executives release these turds, and let the test audiences release these movies on the screen.

sushi

I don't care if movies are unrealistic or don't teach me anything, as long as they entertain me. Movies are a form of escapism to me, and I am not interested in having movies teach me things relevant to my everyday life. I think the reason so many people watch movies, even ones that are crappy, is because they just want an escape. That having been said, i don't want to sit through a crappy movie, and my judgement is usually good enough to keep me away from those. I just want a good story. Heck, sometimes I don't care and just want to see a movie with a lot of action and explosions. It just depends on my mood.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Red Falcon
5306th Post

"Re(1):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 14:20:post reply

Movies are meant to be mindless and entertaining, and they pretty much always have been with the odd exception. Sounds to me like you prefer "film". Go watch some art "film".

Edit: God damn. Did you even actually write all this, or did somebody help you?

Best site EVER: Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Thu 6 Jan 14:52]

ONSLAUGHT
3177th Post

"Re(1):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 14:37post reply

quote:
Independent odd "Misfit" stories at a creative angle are much different than...........

Who are you and what have you done to our beloved sushingada boy??

Oroch
777th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 15:06post reply

quote:
Independent odd "Misfit" stories at a creative angle are much different than...........

Who are you and what have you done to our beloved sushingada boy??

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
lol i love hacking others accounts

End of Spoiler

Iggy
5377th Post

"Re(1):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 19:29post reply

quote:
I find that some films are less insightful and had zero significant meaning.

It just mean your testicles have dropped.
Welcome to the adult life.

Now, your next thread has to be "who do you like most, Samira Makhmalbaf or Ingmar Bergman ?"

Lupin
2821th Post

"Re(1):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Thu 6 Jan 20:10post reply

quote:

sushi

Maybe you should watch less of those cliché movies. Not that this is the case this time, but some people seek out things they don't like and it ends up causing problems for themselves and then can for those around them. (But then I guess a social worker might properly seek out things they don't like... Or someone trying to become a better person might do so if their likes are misalined with their self improvement. But that's another topic.)

I only remember Sushi posting a few times that could be considered 'immature' not that I was paying close attention; for me this doesn't appear to be so out of character.

Hollywood's not dead, and it can make good movies. It's kind of sad though how outsourced our movie industry is, we should protect our industry like the French.

Sano
1364th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 02:01post reply

Holly Wood is not dead. In CVS2 he appears with Rolento as one of his many helpers.

Toxico
3992th Post

"Re(3):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 03:38:post reply

quote:
Holly Wood is not dead. In CVS2 he appears with Rolento as one of his many helpers.

But 'el gado' is stronger and has more knifes. Either way you can't have more than 6 knives on the screen, it's obviously because memory problems.

And yes, most Hollywood films are made for childs and babies, even tough they have a '+teen' raste.

Go to Europe.... See the golden gloves or catch the sundance awards on the us.

And yes, I got those spellings wrong :upa_pig: messatsu :upa_pig:

See??? He is a God...

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 7 Jan 03:41]

Lupin
2824th Post

"Re(4):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 18:59post reply

quote:

But 'el gado' is stronger and has more knifes. Either way you can't have more than 6 knives on the screen, it's obviously because memory problems.

And yes, most Hollywood films are made for childs and babies, even tough they have a '+teen' raste.

Go to Europe.... See the golden gloves or catch the sundance awards on the us.

And yes, I got those spellings wrong :upa_pig: messatsu :upa_pig:

Doesn't El Gado betray Rolento?

DarkZero
1027th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 19:33:post reply

The majority of just about any form of entertainment is absolute crap. The difference here is that you have every new Hollywood movie available to you promptly and cheaply, whereas the majority of the independent films anyone sees are the chosen few that won massive awards. You're the entirety of one kidn of media and the cream of the crop of another, which is bound to give you a different perspective on them.

The same applies to anime. Right now, everyone outside of Japan is only seeing what's been deemed by domestic licensors and fansubbers as being worthy of spending their money or time on. The crap is being weeded out for you, so obviously a lot of people tend to think that anime is some sort of higher art form than live action television or movies, when really they're pretty similar. A few anime every year are fantastic, but most are merely mediocre, just like Hollywood TV shows or movies.

And the moral of the story is: Be more selective. If a movie looks "pretty good", but doesn't look like God's Cinematic Gift To Mankind, don't watch it. It probably sucks.

[this message was edited by DarkZero on Fri 7 Jan 19:33]

Lupin
2827th Post

"Re(6):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 19:36:post reply

quote:
The majority of just about any form of entertainment is absolute crap. The difference here is that you have every new Hollywood movie available to you promptly and cheaply, whereas the majority of the independent films anyone sees are the chosen few that won massive awards. You're the entirety of one kidn of media and the cream of the crop of another, which is bound to give you a different perspective on them.

The same applies to anime. Right now, everyone outside of Japan is only seeing what's been deemed by domestic licensors and fansubbers as being worthy of spending their money or time on. The crap is being weeded out for you, so obviously a lot of people tend to think that anime is some sort of higher art form than live action television or movies, when really they're pretty similar. A few anime every year are fantastic, but most are merely mediocre, just like Hollywood TV shows or movies.

And the moral of the story is: Be more selective. If a movie looks "pretty good", but doesn't look like God's Cinematic Gift To Mankind, don't watch it. It probably sucks.

So you're saying that most of the anime not good enough to get sub/dubbed doesn't? Yes you are and I generally agree with your points.

[this message was edited by Lupin on Fri 7 Jan 19:54]

Iggy
5401th Post

"Re(2):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 20:07:post reply

quote:
It's kind of sad though how outsourced our movie industry is, we should protect our industry like the French.

Y.... yeaaaaah.... maybe. Somehow. The US movie industry is already the wealthiest in the world, I'm not sure it needs any more protection.
Besides, I don't remember a worthwile french movie that has been done in the last 6 month. But maybe I was unlucky.

Actually, the best thing we have here in France is that our theatres show movies from all over the world, not only from US and France. Even the huge multiplex theatres show Wong Kar Wai movies, and if you look in small indies theatres, of which there is at least one in every medium-to-big town, you can see movies from countries where you didn't even knew they had a word for the object "camera".
And when you live in Paris, it's heaven on screen every week.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Fri 7 Jan 20:10]

Oroch
783th Post

"Re(3):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Fri 7 Jan 21:16post reply

quote:

Besides, I don't remember a worthwile french movie that has been done in the last 6 month. But maybe I was unlucky.

what about immortal?

Genjuro
626th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sat 8 Jan 02:08post reply

quote:

As odd as it may seem to you human stupidity is a much underestimated factor.
I have also come to the conclusion that many people especially in cinemas whilst watching a movie just love to display their stupidity to all others that are present in the theatre.(or maybe it's the audience in this country that is not fit for that whole cinema thing I don't know - just had to get this off my chest sorry about the cynicism)

Mokona
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sat 8 Jan 03:38post reply

quote:

And it's about the only real advantage of living in Paris. (that and mostly efficient public transports)

Blah!

Lupin
2829th Post

"Re(3):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sat 8 Jan 09:09:post reply

quote:
It's kind of sad though how outsourced our movie industry is, we should protect our industry like the French.

Y.... yeaaaaah.... maybe. Somehow. The US movie industry is already the wealthiest in the world, I'm not sure it needs any more protection.

Actually, the best thing we have here in France is that our theatres show movies from all over the world, not only from US and France. Even the huge multiplex theatres show Wong Kar Wai movies, and if you look in small indies theatres, of which there is at least one in every medium-to-big town, you can see movies from countries where you didn't even knew they had a word for the object "camera".

I didn't think it was about money, I thought the French wanted to protect their culture in their cinema. It's sort of like "Hollywood" movies not being made in Hollywood at all, many people would like to make movies there rather than in the cheapest country to film in.

[this message was edited by Lupin on Sat 8 Jan 09:10]

Toxico
3994th Post

"Re(2):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sat 8 Jan 11:53post reply

quote:
As odd as it may seem to you human stupidity is a much underestimated factor.

I agree with this point, in fact I was about to say -> 'when you realize the percentage of "easy to fool" or "stupid" or "consumist" people around the world you sadly realize for what kind of public the movies are made'.

Dark Zero also has pretty a valid point, except that here in sud-america we got all the US movies, regardless of the 'quality'.

See??? He is a God...

DarkZero
1028th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sat 8 Jan 16:47post reply

quote:

This is exactly what everyone should have, at least ideally. Obviously you're not seeing every single movie from these little countries, as they probably release dozens a year... you're just seeing the best ones. Whereas in America, even if a movie is massively popular overseas, rakes in millions upon millions of dollars in revenue, and wins a couple dozen awards, maybe we'll see the American remake six years later, with a low-run, low-quality direct-to-DVD release of the original movie accompanying the remake's DVD release six months later.

quote:
So you're saying that most of the anime not good enough to get sub/dubbed doesn't? Yes you are and I generally agree with your points.

Well, that isn't to say that all anime that don't get subbed/dubbed suck. For instance, the fact that I'm only just now watching Z Gundam is a travesty. It should've been subbed back when Vampire Hunter D, Record of Lodoss War, and the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy were, i.e. when it could've actually become popular.

Toxico
3996th Post

"Re(4):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sun 9 Jan 03:23post reply

quote:

Well, that isn't to say that all anime that don't get subbed/dubbed suck. For instance, the fact that I'm only just now watching Z Gundam is a travesty. It should've been subbed back when Vampire Hunter D, Record of Lodoss War, and the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy were, i.e. when it could've actually become popular.

Well, if it makes you feel better it was dubbed back then; in low quality chapters of 60 mgs or so each; I can watch it in my Pentium I ¬¬

In order for something to be subbed it has to adjust to the criteria of whoever has the chance to dub something, and most likely I have seen that said peolpe are usually a 'go with fashion type of people'... Then again I should just bury myself with a rock and keep me out of this XD

See??? He is a God...

HAYATO
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sun 9 Jan 06:31post reply

I agree with all of you that think US film industry is quickly decaying. Unfortunately, this is a global-scaled problem IMO. It isn't an issue restricted to US film industry, but also the oriental and anime ones. Average people's culture and knowledge is quickly decreasing, thus hte film industry has to adapt its supply to the new kinds of demand, a fact that affects the final quality of the products. People become less exacting and easily amused, what leads to those annoying films/anime series for brainwashed teens that invades our cinemas...

I really appreciate almost every kind of film and genre : being David Lynch's movies my favorites, I also enjoy Troma films or any low-budget pseudoproduction I have the chance to watch...as long as I can get it for free. Paying almost 6 € for watching a pile of shit on a big screen drives me mad and makes me feel deceived. I know better ways to spend my money than that... you know what I mean, don't you?

Ishmael
1762th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sun 9 Jan 07:12post reply

quote:
I agree with all of you that think US film industry is quickly decaying.
Anybody who feels that the the world film industry has become worse as the years have gone by should be forced to watch Ma and Pa Kettle at Waikiki and Francis Joins the WACS again and again and again. Entertainment is no better or no worse than it has ever been. I hear people on message boards, blogs and even in causal conversation with friends bemoan that movies, television, cartoons, sex, videogames or whatever aren't as much fun as they were when they were nine years old. Those complaints come across less like a personal revelation and more like the person is turning into a prematurley crotchety old fogey. I'm not saying that people should revel in juvenalia but rather they should understand entertainment for what it is, enjoy what they like, and ignore the rest.

Toxico
3998th Post

"Re(7):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sun 9 Jan 08:59post reply

quote:

Well, while the past was not 'right as rain' what truly makes the differenceis the quantity; nowdays we have huge budgets and resourses to create a whole of crap; whereas in more inoccent times the quantity of movies was lesser thus we didn't have this "I'm surrounded by a bad industry" feeling.

On a side note and no one really cares; in chile we almost didn't have films excvept for some underground neat productions; but lately now that we can do more movies the industry has taken a 'we want to be hollywood path and broadcast/create complete crap. ;P

See??? He is a God...

HAYATO
202th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sun 9 Jan 17:53post reply

quote:

Well, while the past was not 'right as rain' what truly makes the differenceis the quantity; nowdays we have huge budgets and resourses to create a whole of crap; whereas in more inoccent times the quantity of movies was lesser thus we didn't have this "I'm surrounded by a bad industry" feeling.

On a side note and no one really cares; in chile we almost didn't have films excvept for some underground neat productions; but lately now that we can do more movies the industry has taken a 'we want to be hollywood path and broadcast/create complete crap. ;P

Yeah, this can be the main reason why people says film industry is decaying, it's a matter of quantity. I know there have always been shitty movies, but they didn't have the budget some "great-to-be-but-crappy-as-hell-in-the-end" films get today. For instance, in the 80's we had Porky's and its sequels but in spite being real crap, they were much more fun than those American Pie/Road Trip/American Girls or whatever teen-wanker-oriented film you may think of (and now you have a really wide range to choose from...).

Iggy
5421th Post

"Re(6):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Sun 9 Jan 20:32post reply

quote:
I have the chance to watch...as long as I can get it for free. Paying almost 6 € for watching a pile of shit on a big screen drives me mad and makes me feel deceived.

This sentence makes me angry and sad.
I don't know a better way to spend 5€ than going to see a movie.
Oh no ! lots of movies are crap ! This is the kind of painful situations you can evade by, I don't know, reading the critics, reading the basic plot, reading who did it.
OK, so maybe every Bergman or Wong Kar Wai movie is not shown everyday near you. But you're not going to say me there is no Almodovar movie shown in your vincinity.

click
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 03:04post reply

Watch this.

But DON'T read the description beforehand.

Iggy
5423th Post

"Re(8):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 03:22post reply

quote:
Watch this.

"R" !??
They rate this movie "R" !!!
I can't believe it.

This is one of my 3 favourite movies, and you have to see this. And if they screw up the adaptation, buy the korean DVD, it has good english subtitles.

Ishmael
1765th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 06:06post reply

quote:
Watch this.

"R" !??
I can't believe it.

This is one of my 3 favourite movies, and you have to see this. And if they screw up the adaptation, buy the korean DVD, it has good english subtitles.

I forgot that movie somehow ended up getting rated "R" for no discernable reason. While I don't think very young children would get a lot out of it that rating is just plain silly.

click
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 07:07post reply

quote:

"R" !??
I can't believe it.

Wow, I never really conciously noticed that.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
PROTECT THE CHILDREN! HIS BUTTOCKS HAVE BEEN REVEALED.

End of Spoiler

But yea, it's top ten material.

HAYATO
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:43post reply

quote:
I have the chance to watch...as long as I can get it for free. Paying almost 6 € for watching a pile of shit on a big screen drives me mad and makes me feel deceived.

This sentence makes me angry and sad.
I don't know a better way to spend 5€ than going to see a movie.
Oh no ! lots of movies are crap ! This is the kind of painful situations you can evade by, I don't know, reading the critics, reading the basic plot, reading who did it.
OK, so maybe every Bergman or Wong Kar Wai movie is not shown everyday near you. But you're not going to say me there is no Almodovar movie shown in your vincinity.

You know Iggy, i'm not talking about screeners, DVD ripping or such illegal things you abhor, I refer to borrowing some DVDs from any of my friends...and if you don't know about better ways to spend 5 €...well, maybe you know little about life (although I think that isn't your case, not offense intended).

About Almodovar...I just hate him and his films. I just don't get the point in those bizarre and unrealistic plots of his. He may represent my country, but he seldom represents how Spanish people really are. And he definitely has never represented me.

HAYATO
204th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:54post reply

quote:
Watch this.

"R" !??
I can't believe it.

I'll try to get it, as I missed it when shown in my city, and many people I know told me about its virtues and excellences...

Another great film I watched recently is Ashes of Time, the only WKW film I've seen till date, but one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. A typical love-it-or-hate-it film that touched me deeply, almost as deeply as Straight Story did. An absolute masterpiece.

Iggy
5428th Post

"Re(8):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 09:10post reply

quote:
You know Iggy, i'm not talking about screeners, DVD ripping or such illegal things you abhor, I refer to borrowing some DVDs from any of my friends...

I was talking about how even a movie that didn't cost enough money to help solve the problem of world starvation is so much more enjoyable when seen in a theatre. I begin to have quite a few DVDs myself, DVDs of movies I absolutely love, and each time I see my three favourite, Spring summer etc, Sennen Joyû and Adolescence Mokushiroku, I can't help to be reminded of how the experience of seeing them in theatre was much, much more moving than now before my screen. And it also applies to films that have a lesser enphasis on the visuals, like the Bergman movies (sorry, I'm in a Bergmanian phase since Saraband, it'll pass eventually).
On the other hand, you may not have a crappy screen and a crappy sound system as I have, and in this case, my point is not valid anymore.

quote:
and if you don't know about better ways to spend 5 €...well, maybe you know little about life.

I know enough about life to be unable to place anything above the spectacle a beauty so pure it hurts. There may be less than 3 movies a year that reach this kind of peack, but even one of them is worth all the money I've put in lesser movies.

quote:
About Almodovar...I just hate him and his films. I just don't get the point in those bizarre and unrealistic plots of his. He may represent my country, but he seldom represents how Spanish people really are.

I don't think he represents anything, he's just the only spanish director I know and like. Well, I like sometimes. Some of his movies are barely interesting, but La Mala educacion is astonishing. It is the kind of thing only someone who has worked on fictional material for years is able to make, and I'm not only saying this because of Gael Garcia Bernal.

Oroch
786th Post

"Re(10):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 10:13post reply

quote:
Watch this.

"R" !??
I can't believe it.

I'll try to get it, as I missed it when shown in my city, and many people I know told me about its virtues and excellences...

Another great film I watched recently is Ashes of Time, the only WKW film I've seen till date, but one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. A typical love-it-or-hate-it film that touched me deeply, almost as deeply as Straight Story did. An absolute masterpiece.

of course its rated R, its full of sex and violence

and its a great film

that director is good

3-iron is his newest, nice film

sushi_bunny
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 12:08post reply

I know there have always been shitty movies, but they didn't have the budget some "great-to-be-but-crappy-as-hell-in-the-end" films get today. For instance, in the 80's we had Porky's and its sequels but in spite being real crap, they were much more fun than those American Pie/Road Trip/American Girls or whatever teen-wanker-oriented film you may think of (and now you have a really wide range to choose from...).

Yes, I totally agree with this point, at least it was cleverly scripted (Like Better Off Dead, The Sure Thing, One Crazy Summer) and they may seem like the most cheesiest movies, but I sure enjoy watching these films as opposed to "Dirty" Humor, like for example: "American Wedding" The part about the pubes on the cake was just appalling, i don't find any humor in that. Harold and Kumar would of been a good movie, if there were more running gags, but it seemed to me like a "smoke-weed" movie that never got off the ground.

BTW, I am 30 years old, so anyone tells you that I had made immature comments, with my jokes on these boards doesn't have a carefree sense of humor. Believe me, when you hit 30 your brain automatically changes to not limit your options in life - IE: sitting behind a computer all day.

Besides, being skeptical and critical of movies helps my friends or the other person not flush their money down the drain. I sure am making a difference in peoples time with their lifespan for that matter.

Hmm, Time to watch a mature film: "Moonlight Whispers" which is a story about humiliation, obsession and control.

sushi

HAYATO
205th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 18:57post reply

quote:
I was talking about how even a movie that didn't cost enough money to help solve the problem of world starvation is so much more enjoyable when seen in a theatre.
(...)
And it also applies to films that have a lesser enphasis on the visuals, like the Bergman movies (...)
On the other hand, you may not have a crappy screen and a crappy sound system as I have, and in this case, my point is not valid anymore.

Now I see your point. I know you are right, but I'm really selective, as I don't have many pocket cash and I can't spend it slightly. I have to be really sure about the quality of a film to decide myself going to watch it in a cinema. It saddens me, but I have no other option than borrowing the DVDs from some of my friends...

My Pentium III 500 Mhz isn't the greatest multimedia system nowadays, but connecting it to a 28'' TV screen really helps a lot. Anyway, I'm thinking about purchasing a new PC and a multimedia projector in a far future (i.e. whenever I get a job) to watch DVD films in a really huge format (any wall I find suitable or a 50''++ white screen).

quote:

I know enough about life to be unable to place anything above the spectacle a beauty so pure it hurts. There may be less than 3 movies a year that reach this kind of peack, but even one of them is worth all the money I've put in lesser movies.

I have gone to the cinema only twice the past year, I watched "The Passion of Christ" and "Alexander the Great". I'd have also loved to watch "Alien vs Predator" or "Chronicles of Riddick" but as I have to be really selective and I wasn't too sure about the final quality of the film, I'm waiting to see them on DVD...

quote:

I don't think he represents anything, he's just the only spanish director I know and like. Well, I like sometimes. Some of his movies are barely interesting, but La Mala educacion is astonishing. It is the kind of thing only someone who has worked on fictional material for years is able to make, and I'm not only saying this because of Gael Garcia Bernal.

You should get any Alejandro Amenabar film. I'd reccomend you "Abre los Ojos", the film which inspired "Vanilla Sky", far superior to that Cruise's fiasco or "Tesis", a psychothriller whose plot revolts around the world of snuff movies. IMO, he's much better director than Almodovar. And don't forget Santiago Segura's "Torrente" and "Torrente 2", great spanish comedies about a really peculiar private detective...

Iggy
5431th Post

"Re(10):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 19:38post reply

quote:
I have gone to the cinema only twice the past year, I watched "The Passion of Christ" and "Alexander the Great".

Ouch.
I mean, ouch.

quote:
You should get any Alejandro Amenabar film.

Aaaaaaaaaaah !!! I forgot him !
Of course. Amenabar. I thought he was chilian, I don't know why.
I've seen the movies you're talking about, "Abre los Ojos" was indeed great (Tesis was entertaining but weak). The Others was good, and I haven't seen Mar adentro yet. Is there a movie I'm missing ?
[but to continue with Almodovar, Amenabar's movies are entertaining but that's it. None touched me as deeply as La Mala educacion did. Question of personal history, I guess]

quote:
And don't forget Santiago Segura's "Torrente" and "Torrente 2", great spanish comedies about a really peculiar private detective...

Ah, I don't know him. I don't think his movies crossed the Pyrenees.

HAYATO
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Mon 10 Jan 23:57post reply

quote:
I have gone to the cinema only twice the past year, I watched "The Passion of Christ" and "Alexander the Great".
Ouch.
I mean, ouch.

Hey, I really liked "The Passion", but I think that being catholic doesn't help to fairly judging the film...

Alexander the Great was OK, but nothing more.Although it's a bit messy and some history facts are overlooked, Hefestion and his concerned-by-his-lovely-Alexander faces save the film. I got emotionally implicated in his love story and felt really sad for him in the end...and that means a lot coming from a moderate homophobe like me (first, I become a JoJo fan, now this...what's happening to my manliness?)

quote:

You should get any Alejandro Amenabar film.
Aaaaaaaaaaah !!! I forgot him !

Of course. Amenabar. I thought he was chilian, I don't know why.

Maybe you mistook him for Alejandro Jodorowsky, the author of "El Topo", "Santa Sangre" or "The holy Mountain"...a great director and writer whose films I strongly advise you to watch ("El Topo" is just peerless, you must see it to believe it).

quote:

And don't forget Santiago Segura's "Torrente" and "Torrente 2", great spanish comedies about a really peculiar private detective...
Ah, I don't know him. I don't think his movies crossed the Pyrenees.

If you watched "Blade 2", you alredy know him. i think he was a sideshow actor, playing a coward vampire who leads Blade to a Vampire's Lair. As a curious fact, the password was "Torrente 3" .

click
524th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Tue 11 Jan 00:52post reply

quote:

3-iron is his newest, nice film

Have you seen the DVD? If so, how are the English subtitles? I'm interested in getting it...

I think I saw about 20 movies in the theatre this year, half of which were documentaries / independent / foreign... This year would have been very lackluster save for one or two H-wood movies if it weren't for the independent / foreign stuff that released here...

Iggy
5438th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Is Hollywood dead?" , posted Tue 11 Jan 00:57post reply

quote:
(first, I become a JoJo fan, now this...what's happening to my manliness?)

Quote of the year.

quote:
Maybe you mistook him for Alejandro Jodorowsky, the author of "El Topo", "Santa Sangre" or "The holy Mountain"...a great director and writer whose films I strongly advise you to watch

Yeah, I know Jodorowsky. I liked some of his movies, didn't cared for some others. Weird.

quote:
If you watched "Blade 2", you alredy know him.

Huuuuuuuuuuuum...
No.

「とにかく、それは愛のムチよ。
愛しいXXX先生は君を愛弟子として愛するがゆえの厳しさよ」だって。