Castlevania DS - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3020 Views )

DarkZero
1020th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Castlevania DS" , posted Tue 4 Jan 20:52post reply

When the Nintendo DS was unveiled, pretty much everybody had the same initial thought about the two screen system: "That would be AWESOME for Castlevania and Metroid."

So far, we're unfortunately only getting Metroid Prime-style Metroid games for the Nintendo DS. But now we're finally getting a Castlevania game for the DS, and not only is it 2D with one screen devoted to maps (and presumably menus), but it's a sequel to Aria of Sorrow, starring Soma!

Linkage

Hopefully the DS will pick up steam in the coming months, because I remember this exact same trend when the Gameboy Advance was first released. Initially, there was nothing to play but a Mario port and an awesome Castlevania game, but later, better and better games started trickling out.

Replies:

Iggy
5363th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Castlevania DS" , posted Tue 4 Jan 22:59post reply

Am I the only one to be totally unimpressed by the screens ?
Well, I think I'll give it a try, but they'd better have a few gimmmicks in store.

Maybe I haven't played the GBA enough, but to me it looks like a game that could very well have been on GBA.

sabo10
1066th Post

"Re(2):Castlevania DS" , posted Tue 4 Jan 23:35:post reply

quote:
Am I the only one to be totally unimpressed by the screens ?
Well, I think I'll give it a try, but they'd better have a few gimmmicks in store.

Maybe I haven't played the GBA enough, but to me it looks like a game that could very well have been on GBA.

I think it looks bad because the DS screen resolution, although a step up from the GBA, still isn't yet at the level of SOTN on the PS. Also, they are forced to use garish colors because the game is on a portable screen that will probably be played in daylight situations. Its probably the best anyone could hope for since I don't think we will ever see another 2D Castlevania on a real console.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Tue 4 Jan 23:36]

Ishmael
1758th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 01:47post reply

With the exception of the gimmick of drawing hexes on the screen to seal up the bad guys the latest Castlevania sounds like it's not deviating too far from the formula set forth by SotN. It may not be the most innovative game in the world but, since SotN was a lot of fun, that may not be the worst thing in the world.

Joe Randel
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 02:00post reply

quote:
With the exception of the gimmick of drawing hexes on the screen to seal up the bad guys the latest Castlevania sounds like it's not deviating too far from the formula set forth by SotN. It may not be the most innovative game in the world but, since SotN was a lot of fun, that may not be the worst thing in the world.

Well, I know I'm interested. Now I want a DS more then a PSP. I think drawing hexes is a neat idea (although used already in Black and White... but I mean... pfft...who played that). It's just gimmicky enough to get people interested in it I think. At least they're using the touch screen for something other then a map.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Black_Hayato
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Comparison screens" , posted Wed 5 Jan 02:09:post reply

I'm excited. If only IGA can make a longer game for once.

Comparison screens from the dungeon:

http//www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/new.htm

[this message was edited by Black_Hayato on Wed 5 Jan 02:10]

HAYATO
194th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Comparison screens" , posted Wed 5 Jan 02:30post reply

The game looks pretty innovative and nice. I don't complain about the graphics, as long as the game is fun. Now, it's time to wait until it's released/emulated...

exodus
2334th Post

"Re(7):Comparison screens" , posted Wed 5 Jan 03:44post reply

for pollyanna's thoughts, and mine, check the 2005 thread. dammit.

threesixtee
825th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 06:03:post reply

finally a reason to buy DS.

EDIT: holy crap my account works. last time I tried posting, it said I didn't exist, so I gave up on this board for a while...

[this message was edited by threesixtee on Wed 5 Jan 06:04]

IkariDC
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 07:30:post reply

I was more interested in a DS than in a PSP, I also knew a Castlevania game was in development for DS. I loved Aria of Sorrow, I think I don't have to say anything else...

About the graphics: When I first saw the pics, I said, wtf it's more or less the same as in Aria, but with Soma wearing some ugly boots! After I saw those comparison pics, also posted at the Dungeon, I changed my mind:

Aria Vs Aria 2
Aria 2 Vs Symphony

Isn't it almost symphony quality?

EDIT: Fixed links and damnit! I want to see this game in motion!

[this message was edited by IkariDC on Wed 5 Jan 07:32]

HAYATO
197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 07:40post reply

quote:

In fact, CastleDS looks even better than Symphony to me!! I think the matter is that we have such a great stimation for Symphony because it's been ages since we last played it. Ikari's comparison gives me the facts. But seeing the game in motion will utterly decide who's right...

exodus
2337th Post

"Re(4):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 08:10post reply

yeah, when I read the nintendo power preview, they were talking about sprite recyling. nothing looks recycled to me, I think that was a complete error. but then, I just played through AoS last week, soooooooo.

EddyT
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 08:17post reply

Color me excited, that's for sure. I'll be getting the DS when this comes out too. What I'm anticipating the most is how the music will be like. The GBA sure did have a lot of limitations with that department, but lets see if that will be improved with the new DS.

exodus
2339th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 08:39post reply

yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm rather excited that the SotN composer is supervising, and also supplying a few tracks of her own.

HAYATO
200th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 09:19post reply

quote:
yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm rather excited that the SotN composer is supervising, and also supplying a few tracks of her own.

Those are good news, as SoTN soundtrack was one of the best I've ever heard on a PSOne videogame. Mmmm...more unforgettable tunes to come!!!

Hungrywolf
2976th Post

"Re(8):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 10:22post reply

quote:

Those are good news, as SoTN soundtrack was one of the best I've ever heard on a PSOne videogame. Mmmm...more unforgettable tunes to come!!!

I am looking very forward to this game. I guess I need to get a DS now. I wanted one anyway... I need some money.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Mosquiton
1472th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 12:58post reply

quote:
I was more interested in a DS than in a PSP, I also knew a Castlevania game was in development for DS. I loved Aria of Sorrow, I think I don't have to say anything else...

About the graphics: When I first saw the pics, I said, wtf it's more or less the same as in Aria, but with Soma wearing some ugly boots! After I saw those comparison pics, also posted at the Dungeon, I changed my mind:

Aria Vs Aria 2
Aria 2 Vs Symphony

Ah, excellent post. I to wish to see more.

/ / /

Pollyanna
727th Post

"Re(4):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 13:22post reply

I really hate the DS, primarily because I want to buy one and I think it's the dumbest system ever made. "that 2nd screen was made for the map!" someone might say, but I just don't get it. Before, I pressed a button, then the map came up. When I was done with the map, I pressed the button again and it was back to the game. Now that the map is on another screen, I'm not saved from pressing a button, I'll just be pressing the pause button twice instead of the map button twice. This is NOT innovative, clever or at the very least NECESSARY AT ALL.

Developers aren't clever enough for the DS. They aren't ready for 2 screens and I don't know if they ever will be. It forces developers to be "creative" and come up with some stupid gimmick. It's the same thing with the stylus. While drawing magic circles is a cool IDEA it's just a stupid gimmick tacked onto an otherwise solid system.

The DS is fortunate enough to have great developers making great looking games like this for them. I just have to grumble every time someone's like "DS rules, PSP sucks!" when a game like this is announced. If it was on PSP, it'd be on a prettier screen and have better quality music. I PROMISE that nobody would say "You know, this game would have been better if I could have drawn magic circles somehow."

sabo10
1066th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 13:55post reply

quote:
I really hate the DS, primarily because I want to buy one and I think it's the dumbest system ever made. "that 2nd screen was made for the map!" someone might say, but I just don't get it. Before, I pressed a button, then the map came up. When I was done with the map, I pressed the button again and it was back to the game. Now that the map is on another screen, I'm not saved from pressing a button, I'll just be pressing the pause button twice instead of the map button twice. This is NOT innovative, clever or at the very least NECESSARY AT ALL.

Developers aren't clever enough for the DS. They aren't ready for 2 screens and I don't know if they ever will be. It forces developers to be "creative" and come up with some stupid gimmick. It's the same thing with the stylus. While drawing magic circles is a cool IDEA it's just a stupid gimmick tacked onto an otherwise solid system.

The DS is fortunate enough to have great developers making great looking games like this for them. I just have to grumble every time someone's like "DS rules, PSP sucks!" when a game like this is announced. If it was on PSP, it'd be on a prettier screen and have better quality music. I PROMISE that nobody would say "You know, this game would have been better if I could have drawn magic circles somehow."

I think the top screen should just constantly scroll Yamauchi quotes.

Momo
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 13:58post reply

I love the DS, but I really hope developers don't think they NEED to do anything with the touch screen. It's great for stuff like KIMISHINE, but I don't like half-assed touch screen features being shoved into every game (SEE CASTLEVANIA DS).

With that said, I am going to buy this game so hard I WILL BRUISE IT.

p.s. Neopoke-kun DS plz.

DarkZero
1021th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 14:00post reply

quote:

quote:

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's a 2D action/exploration game. Yes, this game could've been made on the GBA, but all of the 2D action/exploration games on the GBA could've been made on the PS1, and all of the (very few) 2D action/exploration games on the PS1 could've been made on the SNES, and all of the 2D action/exploration games on the SNES could've been made on the NES. Have we decided that at some point, technology has made a certain type of game "not fun any more"? Should we all stop playing chess or football or any other horrifyingly "analog" game because we have game consoles?

I see this effort with Castlevania to be the first DS game where someone actually said "How can I improve on the sort of fun game the fans want?" instead of "How can I make a tech demo cleverly disguised as a game so I can get free advertising from cynical game critics looking for something new?"

And yes, the magic circles thing is rather dumb, but then again, it's just a little freebie tossed in to test out the technology, kind of like the downloadable camouflage patterns in Snake Eater. I don't see why people get so upset about that when there are entire games, like Feel The Magic, that are nothing BUT gimmicks. A big ball of meaningless fluff disguised as a game is okay, but a solid game with a little bit of fluff isn't?

Red Falcon
5303th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 14:02post reply

I don't understand (and never have) this bizarre culture of "system hating", anyway. The games are what matter. Pretty much every modern system at least has a couple of decent games for it. It's things like the Jag which really were just sad, and even IT had.. well, A good game for it (if you're in to that sort of thing)

Best site EVER: Link Here

ONSLAUGHT
3172th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 14:38post reply

The game looks like crap.
Castlevania died right after SotN.

Spoon
713th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 14:43post reply

quote:

This is true, as SotN killed Castlevania...
...What worries me is that that only seems half-joking.

exodus
2340th Post

"Re(9):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 14:59post reply

pollyanna - I see a whole lot more 'DS sucks PSP rulz', and the PSP hasn't even come out here yet. Namco and Square are both making good games for the DS, as is bandai - I've seen and played them.

Regardless, the DS is more powerful than the GBA. It is capable of doing a SotN-like on a handheld. If you just think of it that way, I don't see the problem. For a game like Ridge Racer DS - even if you never use the stylus to steer the car, you've still got Ridge Racer 64 ported to a handheld. You can hate on it all you want, but those developers that have ideas for it are making those ideas come into reality. Those who don't, are just making games for a new console. Either way, if they play ok, it seems like a winning situation.

so, like 'red falcon', I don't get the hating. it seems misplaced to me.

[edit]
I can't get 2chan emoticons to work ;_;

EddyT
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 18:27post reply

System hating is like rooting against a sports team you hate. You want to see them lose really badly... to blow them out and run up the score against them.

All kidding aside, I can see why people hate on the DS. It's not a significant jump in terms of the graphics processor, it has a launch library that doesn't scream "must-have" for any of the available games, the top screen and the touch screen are very gimmicky and seem unnecessary to have. I'm sure people would have preferred the DS to be on par with the PSP, graphically at least.

I'll buy a DS... I just need a reason to get it for the present. By the time CastlevaniaDS comes out, maybe the price will be lowered.

Iggy
5367th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 18:43:post reply

quote:
I PROMISE that nobody would say "You know, this game would have been better if I could have drawn magic circles somehow."

On the other hand, on PSP, it would have been "It would have been great if it had been on a portable system".

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I just need to throw away my entire wardrobe and buy things with pockets 3 times the size of those I already have. I will lose my keys all the time, but then I will be able to walk with my PSP in it ! Yeay !

quote:
Yes, this game could've been made on the GBA, but all of the 2D action/exploration games on the GBA could've been made on the PS1, and all of the (very few) 2D action/exploration games on the PS1 could've been made on the SNES, and all of the 2D action/exploration games on the SNES could've been made on the NES.

You're being dumb on purpose. No the games on PS1 could not have been made on SFC, and the SFC games etc. My question was "couldn't the GBA have graphics of the same level ?".
Also, while the SFC was pretty much dead before the PS1, the GBA is still alive and supposed to receive support from developers including Nintendo.
With the post of IkariDC, I have my answer, thank you for helping.

Also, I'm not climbing on the system hating train. I'm just asking specific questions on this particular game. Believe me, you're going to hear me scream in each and every thread of this BBS when GSDS will be shown.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 5 Jan 18:51]

DarkZero
1023th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 19:02post reply

quote:

Yes, this game could've been made on the GBA, but all of the 2D action/exploration games on the GBA could've been made on the PS1, and all of the (very few) 2D action/exploration games on the PS1 could've been made on the SNES, and all of the 2D action/exploration games on the SNES could've been made on the NES.
You're being dumb on purpose. No the games on PS1 could not have been made on SFC, and the SFC games etc. My question was "couldn't the GBA have graphics of the same level ?".
Also, while the SFC was pretty much dead before the PS1, the GBA is still alive and supposed to receive support from developers including Nintendo.
With the post of IkariDC, I have my answer, thank you for helping.

Actually, I was not being dumb on purpose, and thought that you were questioning whether the game was sufficiently innovative for the DS (just like everybody else). My apologies.

As for your real question, I think that the reason that it's not a GBA game is because the idea that the GBA is still alive after the DS's launch is just polite fiction. They know it's a lie, we know it's a lie, and the press knows it's a lie, but Nintendo keeps telling it because if they told the truth, the mainstream press would have to spread the story. After the headline "Nintendo Declares Gameboy Advance Obsolete/Dead/Whatever", sales of the GBA would reach nearly zero, and retailers would have to dump their stock, which they would be justifiably pissed off about. If Nintendo keeps telling the lie, the GBA can die the same quiet death that every other system has.

Sony told us the exact same lie about the PS1 and even though not a single quality PS1 game was released in North America after the PS2's launch, it still worked out for them financially. Same with the GBA.

Pollyanna
729th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 19:15post reply

I must be on the wrong end of the internet. I haven't read a good thing about the PSP yet and I hear general DS support everwhere.
Let me try to explain this.(of course) Ultimately, a system is made by the games it has on it. If I was a "system hater" because I hated Nintendo or because I hated a system for inferior technology, I'd be sitting in my room with an XBox and absolutely nothing to do.

I dislike the DS because it's the DS. If someone asked me (or any sensible person) if they would be interested in a system with two screens, polygons like the N64 and a stylus, I don't think they'd care. In my case, I would have a negative reaction. Now, if someone listed the software for the DS, it would be a different story. While systems succeed or fail based on their software, I feel that the software on the DS shines DESPITE the system.

I admit that I'm being a bit unfair because companies are "forced" to use the system's ridiculous novelties. The second screen and magic circles in Castlevania aren't going to ruin the game, they just aren't going to make it any BETTER. My belief is that if you're going to make something as ridiculous as the DS, you'd better prove to me that it was a good idea. I'm not irritated with companies who can't utilize the system, I'm irritated with Nintendo for making a system that companies don't know how to utilize.

I don't know how to word this, because it's easy for someone to say "Obviously it WAS a good idea, since good companies are making games for it." Think of it this way...if Capcom made Dante from Devil May Cry have purple skin, the game probably still would have sold well. That doesn't mean you can say "It was a good idea for him to have purple skin", because it probably would sell better with something more sensible.

Purple Dante, no matter what awesome game he starred in, would always irritate me, as the DS, no matter how many great games it has, will always irritate me.

Rid Hershel
6362th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania DS" , posted Wed 5 Jan 22:59post reply

quote:
the reason that it's not a GBA game is because the idea that the GBA is still alive after the DS's launch is just polite fiction.

Well, it isn't that "dead", just "almost dead"
-Super Robot Wars OG2 comes out in February
-Tales of the World ND3 comes out tomorrow
-The US version of the latest Zelda comes out in some days too

And I can't wait for this game, I mean, it has SOTN-like graphics, and that's all I wanted. This game automatically put the DS way above the PSP on my list.

random news

Iggy
5368th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 00:12post reply

quote:
If someone asked me (or any sensible person) if they would be interested in a system with two screens, polygons like the N64 and a stylus, I don't think they'd care. In my case, I would have a negative reaction.

I... really don't know. In my case, I don't care for the dual screen and the stylus nonsense. BUT, if I happen to get a game that makes good use of either of them (like, I don't know, GSDS), and even one game, it will justify the gimmick. It's like the PS2 being able to read double layered DVD or having a hard drive. I don't have any double layered games and I don't need a hard drive, but if by chance I fall in love with even one game that really need the double layer thing, or a game that takes full use of the hard drive, then the device will become justified for me. And I prefer to have a console with the eventual possibility to have such an extension than nothing.
Uuuugh, maybe.
Eventually.
Either way, my only motivation to buy a NDS with the current games will be to play Zoo Keeper and Chokkan hitofude in the train. And to replace my dead GBA so I can get the remakes of SMT1&2.
quote:
if Capcom made Dante from Devil May Cry have purple skin, the game probably still would have sold well. That doesn't mean you can say "It was a good idea for him to have purple skin", because it probably would sell better with something more sensible.

It depends of the color of his shoes. If his shoes match the color of his skin, then I don't see any problem.

Joe Randel
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re: Quit yer bitch'n" , posted Thu 6 Jan 00:33post reply

Okay, to those that have a big hate on for the DS and or Castlevania DS, what would you like to see done with this series on this system (and be serious, you know Castlevania DS was going to happen at some point)? It's a gimmicky system, the games are gonna be gimmicky. At least Konami is trying to do something with the touch screen instead of just sticking a map on it.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

HARO
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 01:20post reply

quote:

How do you figure? I enjoyed those type of Metroid style games for gameboy more than any of the classic Castlevania games. Aria was GREAT.

ONSLAUGHT
3173th Post

"Re(9):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 01:48post reply

quote:
I enjoyed those type of Metroid style games for gameboy more than any of the classic Castlevania games.

Matter of taste I guess. For me, every Castlevania for GBA was pure crap.

Red Falcon
5304th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 03:12post reply

quote:
System hating is like rooting against a sports team you hate. You want to see them lose really badly... to blow them out and run up the score against them.

I guess this kind of makes sense, but to me, the "teams" are more comparable to the "games". Hating the system which operates said "teams" is like hating the stadium the team works out of, or hating a coffee machine because you don't like the brand of coffee somebody put in it. A system is simply a tool for operating software. Seriously, though, I get what you're saying, I guess I just have never felt that way.

I agree with Onsy about Castlevania; it simply has not BEEN Castlevania since Symphony, it's been "Metroid in Dracula's Castle" instead of on Zebes. I don't hate the games, some are quite nice (I kind of like Aria, too) but they're no Castlevania, and I'd take X68000 or Rondo over them any day.

Best site EVER: Link Here

exodus
2343th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 03:52post reply

pollyanna: so what are you saying about castlevania DS then? Would you prefer that it were on the PSP? It would most likely be in 3D, then. would you prefer that it were on the GBA? It wouldn't have the higher end graphics it's getting, then.

I personally am glad for the limited 3D processing power of the DS. It makes the system perfect for advanced 2D games. I don't know how much 2d we're going to see on the PSP - darkstalkers had tiny sprites and missing animation, when I played it at TGS.

The two screens thing works very well in a lot of cases. I didn't have an SP before this, I just had the GBA player. So for me, the purchase was justified that way.

One thing that annoys me is the lack of ability to map the R and L buttons to X and Y for gba games. feh.

EddyT
389th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 05:24post reply

Well... not all Castlevanias suck on GBA... there's the NES re-release. I don't know why they don't re-release Super Castlevania IV, though.

sabo10
1068th Post

"Re(9):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 06:26:post reply

Will Sony even allow sprite based games on the PSP?

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Thu 6 Jan 06:43]

exodus
2346th Post

"Re(10):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 06:37post reply

quote:
Will Sony even allow sprite based games on the PSP?

yeah, already there's a falcom RPG, and darkstalkers is coming. but I think it'll be the exception rather than the rule? I dunno.

And btw I liked Aria of Sorrow a lot. twas fun for me.

sabo10
1070th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 07:19:post reply

Castlevania can stop being Metroid when Metroid stops being Halo.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Thu 6 Jan 07:20]

Pollyanna
732th Post

"Re(8):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 19:32post reply

Exodus: I think you might misunderstand where I'm coming from, because I don't see how what you're saying is connecting to what I'm saying. And now...I might be missing your point, too.

But what I mean about Castlevania is that if the game was on PSP...and I'm saying if THIS game was on PSP, then it could have higher definition graphics and CD quality audio. That's what the PSP has to offer (in reference to the DS). Since it's on DS, it has a screen for your map and you can make magic circles (this, you could not do on PSP).
Based on that, I say "I wish this game was on PSP."

I'm not talking software potential, because in that case, we very well might be seeing more good 2D games on the DS. In that case, it might end up being the better system in my book. Regardless, it's still succeeding despite itself, as it's only getting more 2D software because it sucks at 3D.

Iggy
5379th Post

"Re(9):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 19:40post reply

quote:
if THIS game was on PSP, then it could have higher definition graphics and CD quality audio.

...and you would be able to play it during 4 hours before the battery dies and you have to find a place to recharge them.
quote:
That's what the PSP has to offer (in reference to the DS).

Indeed.

Pollyanna
733th Post

"Re(10):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 19:50post reply

Iggy: OK, then I forgot to say that the DS has "increased portability" (if such a word exists). Since I rarely go anywhere and rarely have more than 4 hours at a time to spare, I forget that some people might want to win a game in one sitting on a long trip.

Iggy
5382th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania DS" , posted Thu 6 Jan 20:02post reply

quote:
Iggy: OK, then I forgot to say that the DS has "increased portability" (if such a word exists). Since I rarely go anywhere and rarely have more than 4 hours at a time to spare, I forget that some people might want to win a game in one sitting on a long trip.

Since the only point of a portable system would be to entertain me during my trips in train (sometimes more than 4 hours, not counting when I'm arrived and have nothing to do but wait) or trips in plane (over 8 hours plus the wait at the airport), the PSP is completely out of the question for me. Not talking about the size.
If I want to play something at home, I have my home console with a bigger power and a better screen than the PSP, but I don't have any game system that has a touch screen.

Joe Randel
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re: more info" , posted Fri 7 Jan 23:13post reply

linka-do

VariantX
245th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Re: more info" , posted Sat 8 Jan 06:16post reply

quote:
linka-do

I only got 2 questions i want answered, is there a second castle, and can we dual wield like in SoTN since there are enough buttons to do it now.

Radish
2855th Post

"Re(2):Re: more info" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:00post reply

This game looks neat, but I hope it does something interesting. The whole SotN thing has really been done to death with the other GBA Castlevanias and this just looks like more of the same with prettier graphics. I mean there are already screenshots of a clocktower with medusa heads.

Also game developers: you don't HAVE to use the stupid touch screen shit if you don't want to. I'd rather have the choice to switch the gameplay to the top screen than have the "fun" of drawing lines every couple hours after a boss.

Grahf
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re: more info" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:17post reply

The game looks like it's gonna be great to me. Personally, I can never get enough of the SotN-style Castlevanias, and I thoroughly enjoyed all three for GBA. Even so, I would like to see some new features. Maybe they will follow in Lament of Innocence's footsteps and at least allow you to put markers on your map or something.

I'm not sure if the game is enough reason to buy a DS on its own. I spose it depends on how starved I am for a new game when it comes out. As things stand at the moment, I have far too many games I want to get for the systems I already own to buy a new one.

sakuranbo
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Re: more info" , posted Mon 10 Jan 22:37post reply

I for sure am really interested in this sequel (not like if anyone bother but...).
I'm still quite sceptical regarding the use of the touch screen but it might be fun to draw all that hexes. Something like those cool chinese formulas appearing when a dueller uses a card in Onmyou taisen ki, the furriest shota anime ever...
Anyway I noticed something weird in the EGM article (which is why I post) : on the last page, they talk about some "customized maps". Just wondering what is it supposed to mean? Tradable uncovered map? Or maybe it implies you can do somethind to the map with the stylus ?

わしは旅の僧、錯乱坊。
チェリーとよんでくだされ。