Some guy buys land in some game for $26500 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2539 Views )

Lupin
2811th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Some guy buys land in some game for $26500" , posted Mon 3 Jan 19:23:post reply

The game is Project Entropia. You can exchange real money for Project Entropia money, and back again. The man bought the land in an online auction. He has mining and taxation rights and stuff to his land, and he can resell it.

"$26,500 US the largest amount ever spent in the massive multiplayer online gaming space."

web site: https://www.project-entropia.com/Content.ajp?id=1346

press release: https://www.project-entropia.com/StdContent.ajp?Id=1556

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4104731.stm
"
Gamer buys $26,500 virtual land
The virtual island sold in Project Entropia
Would you pay money for this virtual vista?
A 22-year-old gamer has spent $26,500 (£13,700) on an island that exists only in a computer role-playing game (RPG).

The Australian gamer, known only by his gaming moniker Deathifier, bought the island in an online auction.

The land exists within the game Project Entropia, an RPG which allows thousands of players to interact with each other.

Entropia allows gamers to buy and sell virtual items using real cash, while fans of other titles often use auction site eBay to sell their virtual wares.

Earlier this year economists calculated that these massively multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPGs) have a gross economic impact equivalent to the GDP of the African nation of Namibia.

Investment prospects

"This is a historic moment in gaming history, and this sale only goes to prove that massive multi-player online gaming has reached a new plateau," said Marco Behrmann, director of community relations at Mindark, the game's developer.
The virtual island includes a gigantic abandoned castle and beautiful beaches which are described as ripe for developing beachfront property.

Deathifier will make money from his investment as he is able to tax other gamers who come to his virtual land to hunt or mine for gold.

He has also begun to sell plots to people who wish to build virtual homes.

"This type of investment will definitely become a trend in online gaming," said Deathifier.

The Entopia economy lets gamers exchange real currency into PED (Project Entropia Dollars) and back again into real money.

Ten PEDs are the equivalent to one US dollar and typical items sold include iron ingots ($5) and shogun armour ($1.70)

Gamers can theoretically earn money by accumulating PEDs through the acquisition of goods, buildings, and land in the Entropia universe.

MMORPGs have become enormously popular in the last 10 years with hundreds of thousands of gamers living out alternate lives in fantasy worlds.

Almost 200,000 people are registered players on Project Entropia.
"

[this message was edited by Lupin on Mon 3 Jan 19:30]

Replies:

Pollyanna
718th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Mon 3 Jan 19:44post reply

quote:

"This type of investment will definitely become a trend in online gaming," said Deathifier.

I love that this guy's name is Deatifier, especially when he's quoted.

I dunno how a 22 year old guy got so much cash, though. Erm...or...so much cash to WASTE.

Lupin
2811th Post

"Re(2):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Mon 3 Jan 20:08post reply

quote:

I love that this guy's name is Deatifier, especially when he's quoted.

I thought that was funny too, the bbc refering to him only by his internet nick name.
quote:
I dunno how a 22 year old guy got so much cash, though. Erm...or...so much cash to WASTE.
Funny you should say that, I've encountered a number of people that age who are spoiled unproperly. Not that this Deathifier guy is necessarily one of them.

The other funny thing is that the reply message title has him buying land for $26. ^^

Ammadeau
1252th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Mon 3 Jan 21:17post reply

Yeah, the fact that he had that much money he could waste makes it unsurprising that he wasted it. Rich people and their spoiled children are insane.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

Oroch
771th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Mon 3 Jan 23:46post reply

quote:
The game is Project Entropia. You can exchange real money for Project Entropia money, and back again. The man bought the land in an online auction. He has mining and taxation rights and stuff to his land, and he can resell it.

"$26,500 US the largest amount ever spent in the massive multiplayer online gaming space."

web site: https://www.project-entropia.com/Content.ajp?id=1346

press release: https://www.project-entropia.com/StdContent.ajp?Id=1556

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4104731.stm
"
Gamer buys $26,500 virtual land
The virtual island sold in Project Entropia
Would you pay money for this virtual vista?
A 22-year-old gamer has spent $26,500 (£13,700) on an island that exists only in a computer role-playing game (RPG).

The Australian gamer, known only by his gaming moniker Deathifier, bought the island in an online auction.

The land exists within the game Project Entropia, an RPG which allows thousands of players to interact with each other.

Entropia allows gamers to buy and sell virtual items using real cash, while fans of other titles often use auction site eBay to sell their virtual wares.

Earlier this year economists calculated that these massively multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPGs) have a gross economic impact equivalent to the GDP of the African nation of Namibia.

Investment prospects

"This is a historic moment in gaming history, and this sale only goes to prove that massive multi-player online gaming has reached a new plateau," said Marco Behrmann, director of community relations at Mindark, the game's developer.
The virtual island includes a gigantic abandoned castle and beautiful beaches which are described as ripe for developing beachfront property.

Deathifier will make money from his investment as he is able to tax other gamers who come to his virtual land to hunt or mine for gold.

He has also begun to sell plots to people who wish to build virtual homes.

The Entopia economy lets gamers exchange real currency into PED (Project Entropia Dollars) and back again into real money.

Ten PEDs are the equivalent to one US dollar and typical items sold include iron ingots ($5) and shogun armour ($1.70)

Gamers can theoretically earn money by accumulating PEDs through the acquisition of goods, buildings, and land in the Entropia universe.

MMORPGs have become enormously popular in the last 10 years with hundreds of thousands of gamers living out alternate lives in fantasy worlds.

Almost 200,000 people are registered players on Project Entropia.
"

???

i bought the red fort from the team fortress map 2forts4 back in 1997 for $50 on ebay

big deal

Mokona
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 00:26post reply

Gee, I bought a little more than 1 acre or REAL LAND last year for less than that!
This guy is obviously not in his right mind. (or has hell of a lot of cash to waste!)
(unless it's purely speculative and he knows that the land is actually worth twice as much and he'll start building expensive virtual hotels for other suckers to spend their REAL cash in 'em! (then he's a clever sonofabitch!)

Blah!

Joe Randel
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 00:42post reply

Arg! I could put a nice down payment on a REAL house with that amount of cash. And I'm sure my parents would kick my ass if I ever told them I did something like this. Regardless if it was my money or thier's.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Red Falcon
5299th Post

"Re(3):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 03:04post reply

quote:

(unless it's purely speculative and he knows that the land is actually worth twice as much and he'll start building expensive virtual hotels for other suckers to spend their REAL cash in 'em! (then he's a clever sonofabitch!)

If there is one person that stupid, there are bound to be others, so maybe he WILL.. well, at least get some of his cash back thanks to other suckers. God, this is sad.

Best site EVER: Link Here

GekigangerV
1027th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 06:07post reply

I love ebay.

Beware, for it is CURSED

Not only can they sell Marvel legends figures at insance prices, but that kind of stuff too.

Joe Randel
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 07:06post reply

quote:
I love ebay.

Beware, for it is CURSED

Not only can they sell Marvel legends figures at insance prices, but that kind of stuff too.

Coooolll!!!

-my camera see's dead people-

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Sensenic
1271th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 08:01post reply

quote:

If there is one person that stupid, there are bound to be others, so maybe he WILL.. well, at least get some of his cash back thanks to other suckers. God, this is sad.

Completely agree. I mean, the really terrible point is not some rich (at my age... ) person wasting his money on something stupid, but the fact that there IS a real business there, like the people that also sell land... in the moon or mars (or something similar, can't exactly recall), like those stupid luxury hotels for dogs, like that monkey whose paintings cost a fortune... Dammit, I don't know how to go on, but this is really horrible. Ack.

Nikochan dono.

Nihon mo ingenmame wo tsukurimasu Jan

HAYATO
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 08:11post reply

quote:
I love ebay.

Beware, for it is CURSED

Coooolll!!!

-my camera see's dead people-

What the f...!!!!!! Oh, my...those kind of things really scare me, but I also find them attractive somehow...what a spooky device.

HAYATO
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Some guy buys land in some game for $26" , posted Tue 4 Jan 08:18post reply

quote:

Completely agree. I mean, the really terrible point is not some rich (at my age... ) person wasting his money on something stupid, but the fact that there IS a real business there, like the people that also sell land... in the moon or mars (or something similar, can't exactly recall), like those stupid luxury hotels for dogs, like that monkey whose paintings cost a fortune... Dammit, I don't know how to go on, but this is really horrible. Ack.

Yeah, there are too much stupid rich bastards out there. The purge will begin soon...