Kung Fu Hustle - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2045 Views )

Iggy
5341th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Sun 2 Jan 08:11post reply

http://www.sonypictures.jp/movies/kungfuhustle/site/trailer.html
Is there any fan of chinese martial art movies who has seen it yet ? What is it worth ?

(also, the reason I've been linked to the japanese trailer page is because of the small Jojo neta in the trailer. It does look entertaining).

Replies:

Spoon
711th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Sun 2 Jan 09:31post reply

quote:
Is there any fan of chinese martial art movies who has seen it yet ? What is it worth ?

(also, the reason I've been linked to the japanese trailer page is because of the small Jojo neta in the trailer. It does look entertaining).

There seems to be some Shaolin Soccer reference. Or maybe that's my overactive/ignorant mind.

In one trailer, the kids ask the guy to teach them soccer. Guy gets angry at how they're still playing soccer.

Second trailer seems to have faces reminiscent of Shaolin Soccer. Might just be me.

OYashiroForever
806th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Sun 2 Jan 09:42post reply

quote:
There seems to be some Shaolin Soccer reference. Or maybe that's my overactive/ignorant mind.
It is a SS reference... the movie stars/is directed by Stephen Chow, the same gent who did Shaolin Soccer.

Haven't seen it yet, but those I know who have say it's even better than SS. Lots of parodies (Gangs of New York, Matrix, etc.) and lots of good chop socky action.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your denial is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs I see through you."

HAYATO
182th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Sun 2 Jan 11:13post reply

The trailer got me interested. I'll try to get it somehow...at least it looks amusing.

Spoon
712th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Sun 2 Jan 15:16post reply

quote:
There seems to be some Shaolin Soccer reference. Or maybe that's my overactive/ignorant mind.It is a SS reference... the movie stars/is directed by Stephen Chow, the same gent who did Shaolin Soccer.

Haven't seen it yet, but those I know who have say it's even better than SS. Lots of parodies (Gangs of New York, Matrix, etc.) and lots of good chop socky action.

I refrained from saying the movie was by Stephen Chow because I was afraid that my eyes were wrong :)

Damn he's aged hasn't he?
Kinda like how Jim Carrey is in his forties (!!!) now....

kilvear
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Mon 3 Jan 00:11post reply

quote:

Hmm.....being asian and liking his comedies. I find it fairly funny.

Take it like Shaolin soccer. Just a show not to be taken seriously for logic or plot. Just laugh yourself silly watching it.

I am here I'm there I'm everywhere then again I am just in front of the computer.

TheBeast
1793th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Mon 3 Jan 16:03post reply

quote:

Hmm.....being asian and liking his comedies. I find it fairly funny.

Take it like Shaolin soccer. Just a show not to be taken seriously for logic or plot. Just laugh yourself silly watching it.

Exactly what he said.

If you have enjoyed Shaolin Soccer, you will enjoy this too. The same likewise.

Holiday
2447th Post

"Re(1):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Tue 4 Jan 13:00post reply

I watched this a week ago (subbed in English) and found it very entertaining, at least to me? Maybe I like it more because I watched Phantom of the Opera the day before

Most of my other Cantonese speaking friends hated Chow's performance and said that Shaolin Soccer was much much better, so I don't know where the hate comes from. Some even said that he wasn't funny enough (?).

There's quite a lot of action and whacking scenes in this movie, and if you like that sort of thing and are able to overlook the silly silly plot you'll like this.

And watch it for the Tailor, Iggy. Watch it for the Tailor.

Zepy
1018th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Tue 4 Jan 13:43post reply

It wasn't funny!
It's not a bad movie, but It was too much action and wasn't much of a stephen chow movie.

Holiday
2449th Post

"Re(3):Kung Fu Hustle" , posted Tue 4 Jan 14:12post reply

quote:
It wasn't funny!
It's not a bad movie, but It was too much action and wasn't much of a stephen chow movie.

Yeah, that was the main complaint. People kind of expect a Steplen Chow movie to follow a certain style (more slapstick and humour than action?), and people found the almost endless fighting mentally tiring, so if you're expecting more of that you'll be disappointed. It's like you're a fan of Jim Carrey's silly movies, and suddenly someone show's you Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Well, that's quite an extreme example, but I hope you get the picture.
And talking of Jim Carrey, Series of Unfortunate Events has gothic lolita moe