mail order japan - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2778 Views )

Maou
446th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"mail order japan" , posted Sat 1 Jan 05:25post reply

Well, since my friends in Japan are too lazy to go to used game shops and buy me games these days, it's back to using mail order sites. I love eStarland, but they don't have what I need--any experience here with the group Mail Order Japan? The other internet blokes don't have it.

Bonus points: give me an answer and get a free Katamari Damacy.
....rolled over your house/cows!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

HAYATO
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):mail order japan" , posted Sat 1 Jan 05:52:post reply

quote:
Well, since my friends in Japan are too lazy to go to used game shops and buy me games these days, it's back to using mail order sites. I love eStarland, but they don't have what I need--any experience here with the group Mail Order Japan? The other internet blokes don't have it.

No

Edit :

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Sat 1 Jan 06:01]

Oroch
768th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):mail order japan" , posted Sat 1 Jan 11:22post reply

quote:

yesasia.com? maybe?

IkariDC
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):mail order japan" , posted Sat 1 Jan 23:52post reply

I usually buy my stuff at http://www.play-asia.com, my friends also buy at http://www.yesasia.com (they don't buy videogames), so that's another reliable site.

Maou
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):mail order japan" , posted Tue 4 Jan 07:05post reply

quote:
I usually buy my stuff at http://www.play-asia.com, my friends also buy at http://www.yesasia.com (they don't buy videogames), so that's another reliable site.

Ah, thanks, though I'm cursed by the one product where I have to have the real thing. They have pan-Asian copies of the Japanese game (just like Video Game Depot and others) that are still in Japanese, but not the same copies sold in Japan. Yeah, it's crazy of me, and yeah Asian games aren't bad like Son May pirate CD's, but... I'm doomed to roam the Earth forever in search of Shadow Hearts 1 and Growlanser II, or at least until I get a plane ticket.

IkariDC
240th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 07:07post reply

quote:

Ah, thanks, though I'm cursed by the one product where I have to have the real thing. They have pan-Asian copies of the Japanese game (just like Video Game Depot and others) that are still in Japanese, but not the same copies sold in Japan. Yeah, it's crazy of me, and yeah Asian games aren't bad like Son May pirate CD's, but... I'm doomed to roam the Earth forever in search of Shadow Hearts 1 and Growlanser II, or at least until I get a plane ticket.

Those shops sell "the real" Japanese games! Sometimes, you can find cheaper Chinese or Korean edition of the game, but it's clearly stated which one is the Japanese, and which one is the Chinese/Korean. I always buy the real thing! Burn those SM CDs ASAP!

HAYATO
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 07:17post reply

quote:
I always buy the real thing! Burn those SM CDs ASAP!

Chill out, man!! There's no need to be so harsh and radical...I aldso buy the real thing when I can afford it, but I have some SM CDs which are really great (like Vampire Hunter OGST)...Telling the truth, I didn't know SM CDs were illegal stuff. Bah, who cares, anyway?

IkariDC
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 07:40post reply

quote:

Chill out, man!! There's no need to be so harsh and radical...I aldso buy the real thing when I can afford it, but I have some SM CDs which are really great (like Vampire Hunter OGST)...Telling the truth, I didn't know SM CDs were illegal stuff. Bah, who cares, anyway?

Maou was talking serious about that stuff, so I just wanted to be a step up higher. I also got some of those CDs, but you know I'm not buying a SM CD again in my life.

HAYATO
198th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 07:52post reply

quote:

Maou was talking serious about that stuff, so I just wanted to be a step up higher. I also got some of those CDs, but you know I'm not buying a SM CD again in my life.

Well, you know, I'm not trying to defend piracy (now ), but the naked truth is that our purchases don't affect to the gains of your favorite artists. I mean, your Munching Josukes, for instance, won't be forced to sleep under a bridge, or to eat at a social center if you don't buy the real thing, because they earn enough money thanks to their fans in their own country. So if you manage to get the same thing at a lower price without a significant loss of quality, and not being those materials licensed in your country, what's the fault on buying the SM editions?

Oroch
774th Post

"Re(8):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 08:02post reply

quote:

Well, you know, I'm not trying to defend piracy (now ), but the naked truth is that our purchases don't affect to the gains of your favorite artists. I mean, your Munching Josukes, for instance, won't be forced to sleep under a bridge, or to eat at a social center if you don't buy the real thing, because they earn enough money thanks to their fans in their own country. So if you manage to get the same thing at a lower price without a significant loss of quality, and not being those materials licensed in your country, what's the fault on buying the SM editions?

im sorry but ill have to kill you now hayato

MESSATSU

exodus
2335th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(8):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 08:07post reply

hayato - it's because SM is making money off of something they didn't do. as though somebody took something you did, burned a copy of it and photocopied the sleeve, then sold it without giving you anything.

I pirate sometimes, but at least I call it what it is. If you buy SM, you're cheating the original artist, and there's no way around it.

HAYATO
199th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 08:55post reply

quote:
hayato - it's because SM is making money off of something they didn't do. as though somebody took something you did, burned a copy of it and photocopied the sleeve, then sold it without giving you anything.

I pirate sometimes, but at least I call it what it is. If you buy SM, you're cheating the original artist, and there's no way around it.

Yeah, now I see the point. Well, I also like to buy originals (whenever I buy something , you know... ), but I'm not going to burn my SM records (well I only own the V.Hunter one) now I've discovered they are pirate stuff. It was a present a friend of mine brought me from Taiwan!! I didn't commit the crime (this time)!!!

Now Internet make those kind of shopping easier, but I still remember those past years here in Spain when you had to order your stuff to some big import shops in Barcelona or Madrid...you always knew what you wanted to get (the original versions), but SM editions were what you were given, if not something worse. And not to mention the prices...

Hey Ikari, are you going to do the same with your artbook collection? It's time to go and burn this pirate lair where you get your stuff from, the hideous shop of Avalon!!!!

VManOfMana
579th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Wed 5 Jan 16:28:post reply

quote:

But now you know, and you know about internet shopping; so why even bother justifying to keep buying SonMay/EverAnime/whatever?

If you want stuff at retail, go to Amazon Japan (yes, they ship out internationally), CD Japan, Mangaoh, or you can try import shops like Akibado, that lets you get pretty mucn anything as long as you tell them what it is that you want. Amazon's shipping prices are very good, and their economy may take as little as a week to get your stuff home.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

[this message was edited by VManOfMana on Wed 5 Jan 16:31]

ONSLAUGHT
3175th Post

"Re(9):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 05:09post reply

quote:

I pirate sometimes, but at least I call it what it is.

Yeah, I bet that makes you a better person.

Evenor
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 07:43:post reply

Since all of you are talking about ordering stuff, do any of you guys want a 5 dollar off coupon for play-asia.com? It can help with the shipping I guess...

Edit: I forgot to metion that the coupon can only be used if your spending a minimum of 40 bucks. Whoever wants it just post your email and I'll send it to you.

raspBerry jam
真っ赤なice ぶちまけろ

[this message was edited by Evenor on Thu 6 Jan 07:49]

IkariDC
245th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 10:02post reply

quote:

Hey Ikari, are you going to do the same with your artbook collection? It's time to go and burn this pirate lair where you get your stuff from, the hideous shop of Avalon!!!!

You talk like I'm spending all my money in artbooks every weekend at that shop. Let me tell you that I've only bought artbooks twice in there. The first time, I didn't know they were Chinese. The second time, I bought two artbooks. The first one was a Chinese artbook of KOF that featured unnoficial art of Kyo & Iori, so yeah, I bought that on purpouse because it's a nonexistent artbook in Japan. The second one was the artbook of MGS2, and man, I regret buying that low quality piece of shit. I fucking hate that you can't easily tell if it's a Japanese or a Chinese artbook.

VManOfMana
579th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 12:50post reply

quote:

I pirate sometimes, but at least I call it what it is.

Yeah, I bet that makes you a better person.

It's definitively better than balming the greedy companies that milk every penny out of us :)

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Juke Joint Jezebel
3264th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 13:15post reply

quote:
It's definitively better than balming the greedy companies that milk every penny out of us :)

LOL!

"It's definitively better than balming the greedy companies that milk every penny out of us :)"

what a dumbass answer
but expected from a clown

ONSLAUGHT
3178th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 14:44post reply

quote:

Do you really think that? Or are you just sucking exodus' dick?

Oroch
778th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Thu 6 Jan 15:09post reply

quote:
Since all of you are talking about ordering stuff, do any of you guys want a 5 dollar off coupon for play-asia.com? It can help with the shipping I guess...

Edit: I forgot to metion that the coupon can only be used if your spending a minimum of 40 bucks. Whoever wants it just post your email and I'll send it to you.

oo oo mail me the discount

the addy is orochi@gwu.edu

Maou
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):mail order japan" , posted Fri 7 Jan 07:48post reply

quote:

Those shops sell "the real" Japanese games! ! Burn those SM CDs ASAP!

Haha, I like the intensity. Hayato: why do you refuse my Katamaris?
Meanwhile, those copies are legit (non-pirated, in Japanese), but still Asian releases, odd. If you look at NCSX, for instance, they sell Asian and Japan copies, both of them in Japanese. Call it neurotic...
I was bummed with the crap SM copy of FFVI's soundtrack I bought ages ago before knowing I needed the real thing, but then had a laugh later at least when SM managed to create CD's (Sailor Moon vocal collections, etc.) that literally never existed in Japan. Also, I like their abbreviation.

Iggy
5393th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Fri 7 Jan 07:58post reply

quote:

Pic pleaz.

VManOfMana
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):mail order japan" , posted Fri 7 Jan 08:25:post reply

quote:

It's definitively better than blaming* the greedy companies that milk every penny out of us :)

*fixed typo

I really mean that.

To be honest, I am pretty sick of the attitued of a lot of people who try to justify piracy.

"the companies are greedy bastards"
"artists don't get almost any money anyway"
"its too expensive"
"they don't want to evolve! P2P** is a revolution!"
"but art is supposed to be free!"

The fact is that these items are luxuries and are not essential for our survival. They to be used by any extra money you have after filling your basic needs! For me its a matter of attitude. We all know its piracy, so if you are going to do it, suck up and call what you do by what it is instead of lying to yourself. Buying SonMay CDs and using fansubs as DVD substitues will not make things any better.

Artists need to eat. And they eat by selling what they create. Even if I don't agree with the way publishing firms manage things, the fact is that artists are able to get *something* compared to getting nothing.

And sorry, those whiners who want everything for free are just as greedy as the greedy companies. If someone wants to give *THEIR OWN* stuff for free, fine, take it. That's what BitTorrent was originally created for anyway. But if someone doesn't want their stuff freely available, it is their right.

And by the way, I just remembered about today's Ask John:

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1013

** I don't have anyting against P2P. The problem is not the technology, but how it is being (ab)used.

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

[this message was edited by VManOfMana on Fri 7 Jan 08:27]

ONSLAUGHT
3179th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Fri 7 Jan 12:00post reply

quote:

I really mean that.

your reply is a lot more inteligent than I expected, but people that say "I pirate, but I call it what it is", or something to that effect, are no better than people that think it's their right to have things for free.
As you said, videogames, movies, toys and the rest of the memorabilia are a luxury, not a right.
If you pirate, you pirate, there's no other way around it, you're a leech, and the fact that you accept being a leech doesn't make you any better than those who don't accept their pirating ways.
I think Toxico said it once something like "If you pirate, just shut the fuck up and be quiet about it, the rest of us don't want to know about it, keep your skeletons on your own closet"... Well, maybe not with those words, but the idea is the same.

Iggy
5396th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Fri 7 Jan 17:41post reply

quote:
but people that say "I pirate, but I call it what it is", or something to that effect, are no better than people that think it's their right to have things for free.

They are no better, but they are far less annoying.
quote:
I think Toxico said it once something like "If you pirate, just shut the fuck up and be quiet about it, the rest of us don't want to know about it, keep your skeletons on your own closet"... Well, maybe not with those words, but the idea is the same.

I said it once, but while talking about masturbation.