Stargate died for Your sins - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2342 Views )

Juke Joint Jezebel
3246th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 05:41:post reply

i was gonna go to Stargate today when i found out Pollyanna killed it, probably because she sins so damn much

the last time i was there, they kicked me out because they were hosting a tournament, even though all i wanted to play was Real Bout. and of course there weren't any SNK tournaments. no one wants to play an SNK game when there's awesome matchups like CvS2 and MvC2 around. so i didn't see the harm of me hanging out at the machine for an hour. but nooo, they turned me away, and now look what happened. when you turn me away, you're killing Stargate. i guess all my malignance from that day took the arcade down. how ironic

so Pollyanna, i guess i'll never get to pound you the way i wanted to, unless you come over or something. but then it could get sexual

Dan's Bro's Bro: anyhow, I guess if our future meetups happen at someone's house or something, you could bring you DC games and stuff right?
Dan's Bro's Bro: I could bring a stick
Juke Joint Jezebel: yeah 8(
Dan's Bro's Bro: I spoke to chris a little on aim
Dan's Bro's Bro: he said business got too slow
Dan's Bro's Bro: "got"? wasn't it always?
Juke Joint Jezebel: ask him if his new system fucked him over
Dan's Bro's Bro: he's busy now
Juke Joint Jezebel: then ask him what he was thinking when he put that shitty system in
Dan's Bro's Bro: and hey, I'm not gonna be harsh >:P
Dan's Bro's Bro: that's your job
Juke Joint Jezebel: roms killed stargate

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Tue 28 Dec 06:56]

Replies:

exodus
2281th Post

"Re(1):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 06:03post reply

quote:
so Pollyanna, i guess i'll never get to pound you the way i wanted to, unless you come over or something. but then it could get sexual

Poison

Pollyanna
679th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 06:19post reply

I'm kinda sad, but since I've been too poor to go lately, it doesn't matter that much. When they decided to use consoles instead, I really didn't want to go, though...because then I would have to change the goddamned controls every time on Capcom games. (did they allow that?)
So THEN I thought "well, I'll get the Street Fighter 15th Anniversary controller that works with defaults", but noooo...you STILL have to change L1/L2/R1/R2.

I'm just glad you aren't putting the blame on me. When I saw the topic, I thought "Oh god, it's all my fault, isn't it?"

When Iggy said that Nejibako doesn't have a home port planned, I wondered if Stargate would bother getting it, but now...there's like...almost no chance in Texas.

Burning Ranger
995th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 06:33post reply

quote:

When Iggy said that Nejibako doesn't have a home port planned, I wondered if Stargate would bother getting it, but now...there's like...almost no chance in Texas.

Not necessarily. Einstein's arcade in Austin (right across from the UT Campus) has KOF Neowave, and I think they had GGXX before anyone else in Austin (at the time I saw it, no arcade had it in San Antonio!). So there's a good chance Einstein's will get it.

As for Stargate closing--well, I never visited the place but I don't think I'd liked it much, seeing as it was a Capcom fanboy haven.

And no-- no one is to blame for arcades dying except for one company: Capcom. Sure, SNK and Sammy/Arc Systems kept putting out stuff, but Capcom, being the supposed 'leader' in 2D fighting games, had opportunities to keep fans interested. Instead, they sat on their thumbs and gave stuff like CFJ, if anything at all. So blame them... I do at least.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

exodus
2283th Post

"Re(3):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 06:48post reply

quote:
because then I would have to change the goddamned controls every time on Capcom games.

ascii makes saturn-esque pads!

HAYATO
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 07:04post reply

So all this mourning for the closing of an Arcade? Oh, my...when I read the name of the thread, a image of a crucified Dean Anderson came to my mind (in fact, that's something I'd love to see...).

Juke Joint Jezebel
3247th Post

"Re(3):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 07:05:post reply

quote:
I'm just glad you aren't putting the blame on me.

i thought that was implied? you said you haven't been there lately. just how late is lately? when you don't support your local arcades, you're killing Stargate. so anyways, Athena. and friends. wait. where did Athena get friends? i know at least one person that poses such a question

by the way, they've also got Neowave at that shitty UH arcade. i'm one of the few people that plays it. the others are .... interesting characters that i'd rather not talk about

am i the only one here that knows how to use gedan barai correctly?

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Tue 28 Dec 07:13]

Kamui
205th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 07:17post reply

It was much less a Capcom fanboy haven as it was a Fighting game fanboy haven. They played a variety of games, hense why Houston also used to have such a strong Guilty Gear scene.

As far as the SNK scene there goes, it was bad, but no one hated on it. They had plenty of neo cabs, and they had the better neo games. People tried to make it bigger, but it never worked out because of the players, as always.

Stargate was by and afar the best arcade in Texas. It had the best comp for a variety of games and a great set up to do so. It simply was THE place to go if you wanted to play in Texas. This is a huge problem for the Texas game scene. Stargate only helped rejuvinate a dying breed, and now it's gone the way of the Dodo. Many of us would appreciate a little more respect for an arcade owned by long time players that very much helped slowdown the process of the disintegrating fighting game scene.

quote:

As for Stargate closing--well, I never visited the place but I don't think I'd liked it much, seeing as it was a Capcom fanboy haven.

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles
in your face to frown BUT it only takes 4 muscles
to extend your arm and bitch-slap the
motherfucker upside the head."

Pollyanna
682th Post

"Re(4):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 07:44post reply

So much to say...

BRanger: I forgot about Einsteins. Or rather, I pushed them out of my mind because they didn't get XX right after it came out when I was going insane and needed to play it. I have a lot of friends in Austin, so that's another excuse for a pilgrimage out there.

Exodus: But it still; doesn't work with the Capcom default, does it? The STREET FIGHTER ANNIVERSARY CONTROLLER doesn't work with the Street Fighter default. It has square, triangle and L1 on top and X, circle and R1 on the bottom. It's very much like a Saturn controller itself, though I don't like the placement of start and select. Well, it might just be a problem for me, with my grotesquely engorged fingers, but I always seem to hit both of those at the same time by accident and restart whatever game I'm playing. Also, I can't, for the life of me, do Yang's MP,HP, back+HP into his kick super on that controller.

JJJ: I'm shocked they got it at all. I'm sure it's not much fun without competition. I remember there was this one guy that was ALWAYS at the UH arcade playing CvS2. I NEVER went there once without him being there. I don't even think he was a student. I'm pretty sure he would play there all day until Stargate opened, then go there and play., because I've seen him waiting for Stargate to open before.

Iggy
5293th Post

"Re(3):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 08:12post reply

quote:
When Iggy said that Nejibako doesn't have a home port planned

Well, I said so quoting Imoya. The same Imoya that release their home port one year after the original release of a game, or the same Imoya that said "we do not plan to port Supisupe on consoles" in Japan a few days after they announced it in a bundle with SS0 for America.
Well, Imoya. You know them.
AND THEY KNOW YOU.

quote:
And no-- no one is to blame for arcades dying except for one company: Capcom. Sure, SNK and Sammy/Arc Systems kept putting out stuff, but Capcom, being the supposed 'leader' in 2D fighting games, had opportunities to keep fans interested. Instead, they sat on their thumbs and gave stuff like CFJ, if anything at all. So blame them... I do at least.

Yeah, because when you haven't made profits for 2 or 3 years, the one thing you want to do is to give money to every hobo you meet and hope baby Jesus will reward you.

exodus
2289th Post

"Re(4):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 08:15post reply

hmm, ok...maybe I don't know about this default. I thought that was it, but now I'm feeling wrong again.

Oroch
763th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Stargate died for Your sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 08:36post reply

quote:

Poison

thats hot!

Juke Joint Jezebel
3247th Post

"Re(5):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 14:40post reply

quote:
JJJ:

yeah, after years of filling that comment box with "an SNK game", they finally throw us a bone. the competition there is, to say the least, weak, but i haven't met a rude player yet. it's a nice transition from the crowd of arcade filth that play the other games

HAHA is that guy a black dude that wears sweats and has a flat top straight out of the 80s? jesus, that guy used to be everywhere. when we were first getting into fighting games (around the launch of CvS2), we'd fight him all the time. we'd go to UH to practice, he was there. we'd go to Supertrack to practice, he was there. we'd go to Almeda to practice, he was there. if it's the same guy you're talking about, yeah, he definitely was not a student. but what kind of a fucking loser goes to an arcade to fight college kids all day? at least he's doing something useful with his mom's social security check

oh yeah, he had a variety of nicknames and we made up lots of great stories about him. we called him Ass Guy (because he'd stick his booty out when he was concentrating hard on the game), Ass Pants, House Party, the list goes on. we also strongly believed that he was lost in our time, and was trying to find his way back into the 80s. my theory was that, by playing CvS2 all the time, he was getting closer and closer to being in a time where that horrible haircut and shitty clothing was in style again

a while ago, he stopped showing up at any of the arcades. we just assumed that he finally finished constructing his time machine

Pollyanna
686th Post

"Re(6):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 16:11post reply

WOW. That's the best story ever. It's a LEGEND. This guy didn't have a flat top or ass-action,though...so either he got a haircut or there's another guy like him. Was he kinda...erm..."big"? Maybe it's the same guy only he's older now. You know...like there's the version of him from the past and then the real one? There could be...like...five of him or something.

He didn't build the time machine, though...he was too busy playing CvS2. I think he's rich...REALLY rich and paid someone else to build the time machine. I mean, this guy HAD to be rich. He spent ALL DAY EVERY DAY playing video games.

I'm only -decent-, so at first I could beat him, but since he played SO MUCH my wins got fewer and fewer. That happens a lot. I start out winning on a game, but then get left behind by the richer/more devoted/time travelling players. That's probably for the better. People really seem to hate losing to me and I'm afraid it's going to get violent (or sexy) one of these days.

Speaking of arcade legends, there's this guy that hangs out at the arcade in the Galleria and never plays games. He always sits next to me and I think he likes me. He keeps trying to make conversation, but I never say anything back. He's one of those chubby kids with a bowl haircut, a backpack and a free T-shirt tucked into shorts. Hei's either from the early 90s or hell.

exodus
2296th Post

"Re(7):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 16:32post reply

quote:
He always sits next to me and I think he likes me.

does he know you're a man, or...
?

Lupin
2790th Post

"Re(7):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 16:40post reply

quote:
WOW. That's the best story ever. It's a LEGEND. This guy didn't have a flat top or ass-action,though...so either he got a haircut or there's another guy like him. Was he kinda...erm..."big"? Maybe it's the same guy only he's older now. You know...like there's the version of him from the past and then the real one? There could be...like...five of him or something.

He didn't build the time machine, though...he was too busy playing CvS2. I think he's rich...REALLY rich and paid someone else to build the time machine. I mean, this guy HAD to be rich. He spent ALL DAY EVERY DAY playing video games.

I'm only -decent-, so at first I could beat him, but since he played SO MUCH my wins got fewer and fewer. That happens a lot. I start out winning on a game, but then get left behind by the richer/more devoted/time travelling players. That's probably for the better. People really seem to hate losing to me and I'm afraid it's going to get violent (or sexy) one of these days.

Speaking of arcade legends, there's this guy that hangs out at the arcade in the Galleria and never plays games. He always sits next to me and I think he likes me. He keeps trying to make conversation, but I never say anything back. He's one of those chubby kids with a bowl haircut, a backpack and a free T-shirt tucked into shorts. Hei's either from the early 90s or hell.

How is he 90s and does he carry around a cup of ice and corn nuts

Pollyanna
687th Post

"Re(8):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 16:45post reply

quote:

does he know you're a man, or...
?

I'm not sure if this isn't funny anymore, or hasn't gotten funny yet.
Either way, I can't begin to fathom what this guy is thinking. If I had to guess, I would think that his thought process would resemble a high-pitched ringing noise.

Lupin: He's 90s in his sense of terrible style. Well...actually, let me rephrase that. In the early 90s, he was young enough to wear what he's wearing now and it be acceptable. Now it is not.
Hmmm...I don't recall him having any accessories excluding his backpack.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3248th Post

"Re(9):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 18:14post reply

that Galleria arcade is a party waiting to happen

i went there last week and traded a dollar in for some magic beans. after playing SvC for a bit, i was ready to go home. but i had two magic beans left! so i played GGXX while some high school geeks watched me

i regret not playing that old school rifle game they had in the back. it would've been five minutes of my life i would never forget

oh yes, have you heard of another arcade down on Westheimer? it's nextdoor to yet another tea shop. i don't know the name of it but i've been wanting to check it out to see what they have. one guy who works there is the same guy who put together the Neowave machine at UH

Pollyanna
688th Post

"Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Tue 28 Dec 18:29post reply

quote:

oh yes, have you heard of another arcade down on Westheimer? it's nextdoor to yet another tea shop. i don't know the name of it but i've been wanting to check it out to see what they have. one guy who works there is the same guy who put together the Neowave machine at UH

Ah, goodie. I get one last reply in before I go to sleep.

I've gone up and down Westeimer without seeing any arcade, so it must be cleverly hidden (much like Stargate)...or maybe very new. I'm trying to think of tea places...hmmmm....
Is this a trick?

catalyst
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Wed 29 Dec 00:51:post reply

quote:
that Galleria arcade is a party waiting to happen

Doesn't the galleria usually update their games frequently? Seems like a viable plus for the tilt arcade in the galleria I suppose. Last I remember having when there they had the fist of the north star game and SvC chaos. Seems like a last haven for arcade gamers.

Edit:
quote:
I've gone up and down Westeimer without seeing any arcade, so it must be cleverly hidden (much like Stargate)...or maybe very new. I'm trying to think of tea places...hmmmm....
Is this a trick?

Not sure if this might help but theres probably small but not great arcade in the Hong Kong city mall down going to Harwin I believe. Though bunch of teeny boppers but I suppose it could be a start for a nice arcade.

[this message was edited by catalyst on Wed 29 Dec 00:55]

exodus
2297th Post

"Re(9):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Wed 29 Dec 01:56post reply

quote:

I'm not sure if this isn't funny anymore, or hasn't gotten funny yet.

or perhaps you should rejoice in the fact that you've legitimately confused us!

Pollyanna
691th Post

"Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Wed 29 Dec 05:37post reply

quote:

or perhaps you should rejoice in the fact that you've legitimately confused us!

If that's the case, then it's not funny -anymore- and I take full responsibility.

Catalyst: Well, the Galleria arcade is...unpredictable at best. They get SOME games SOMETIMES. I don't know any place that's better, though. As for the HK mart arcade...do they have anything decent? I suspect that I would have heard of it by now if they did.

exodus
2304th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's si" , posted Wed 29 Dec 06:04post reply

okay - I'm going to take the leap of faith and believe that you're female. Iggy will take more convincing.

Oroch
764th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's si" , posted Wed 29 Dec 06:11post reply

quote:
okay - I'm going to take the leap of faith and believe that you're female. Iggy will take more convincing.

iggy really is a chick

ive seen him naked

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

he too is hot like poison

End of Spoiler

Juke Joint Jezebel
3250th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's si" , posted Wed 29 Dec 06:57post reply

quote:
Doesn't the galleria usually update their games frequently?

i guess so. they have Tekken 5 already. but there was a huge crowd and no one was playing with the slut so i just kept walking. oh yeah! i saw that Fist of the North Star game! i was kicking myself because we were already bent on going home and i didn't get to play it

other than that, there isn't that much there. just a bunch of old games (like racing games and gun games) and a couple of fighting games i'm not into (some versus fighters, and i think i saw Mortal Kombat). i wonder how well, or often, they do maintenance. the left stick on the GGXX machine was messed up. it might've been the same for other games

catalyst
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's si" , posted Wed 29 Dec 15:26post reply

quote:

As for the HK mart arcade...do they have anything decent? I suspect that I would have heard of it by now if they did.

If I remember exactly, from a year back I want to assume they probably still have Marvel vs capcom 2, The simpsons, Street fighter ex, and some ddr 3rd mix korean version 2 or something like that. Not a great arcade but probably changed or probably something decent by then or possibly extinct.

Pollyanna
695th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Stargate died for Pollyanna's si" , posted Wed 29 Dec 19:28post reply

quote:
i saw that Fist of the North Star game! i was kicking myself because we were already bent on going home and i didn't get to play it

If you do, you have to go "Watatatatatatatata" when you do the finishing move. Even if people gawk (they do anyway) I always do when I play.

And yeah, the arcade is run by a grumpy old man (like meeeeee~!), so from what I can tell, the sticks /buttons are frequently a little screwy. I dunno, Id on't go there (or anywhere) much.

Hagen de Merak
854th Post

"Re(7):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Mon 3 Jan 08:29post reply

quote:

oh but i do like you . you always declined my (well "our") invitations to stargate, so i had to meet you. hence one day i see a striking young lady in an arcade in Houston? "who else could it have been but pollyana" i said to myself. but anyways, your insults only turn me on, i like my women wild so i can tame them. Alas, it's a shame your not into fatboys, we can really shake it, if you know what i mean

Pollyanna
719th Post

"Re(8):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Mon 3 Jan 19:59post reply

quote:

oh but i do like you . you always declined my (well "our") invitations to stargate, so i had to meet you. hence one day i see a striking young lady in an arcade in Houston? "who else could it have been but pollyana" i said to myself. but anyways, your insults only turn me on, i like my women wild so i can tame them. Alas, it's a shame your not into fatboys, we can really shake it, if you know what i mean

I've been trying to think of a reply to this since you posted it, but I'm totally stumped. I'm completely in...in...something. Awe? Shock? Unfortunately, it's not love.
I laughed, I cried...and now I'm going to bed.

Hagen de Merak
855th Post

"Re(9):Stargate died for Pollyanna's sins" , posted Wed 5 Jan 04:01post reply

quote:

I've been trying to think of a reply to this since you posted it, but I'm totally stumped. I'm completely in...in...something. Awe? Shock? Unfortunately, it's not love.
I laughed, I cried...and now I'm going to bed.

so when/where are we meeting then?