Cannibal Holocaust - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3621 Views )

ONSLAUGHT
3153th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 11:47post reply

Has anyone seen this film? Someone told me it was the sickest film ever made, and I don't know how accurate is that statement.

I can look for online reviews, but first, I want to know if someone here as seen it.

Replies:

Red Falcon
5292th Post

"Re(1):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 11:51:post reply

Hmmm... I don't know if it's the SICKEST film ever made, which seems to be a pretty broad statement (I doubt anybody has seen every film ever made)and it's not the bloodiest film I've ever seen; however, it's pretty.. "intense" viewing, to put it mildly. Certainly one of the more disturbing films I've seen.

Edit: Oh, and if scenes of animal cruelty upset you, don't watch it.

Best site EVER: Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Mon 20 Dec 11:53]

Slayerz
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 11:55post reply

quote:
Hmmm... I don't know if it's the SICKEST film ever made, which seems to be a pretty broad statement (I doubt anybody has seen every film ever made)and it's not the bloodiest film I've ever seen; however, it's pretty.. "intense" viewing, to put it mildly. Certainly one of the more disturbing films I've seen.

Edit: Oh, and if scenes of animal cruelty upset you, don't watch it.

I heard they use real animal in this movie. is it true?

Peter - I got an idea an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Red Falcon
5292th Post

"Re(3):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 11:59post reply

quote:

I don't think so. I heard some of the crew had to go to court back in the 80's to prove it was all fake and crap. It's just.. done very convincingly.

ONSLAUGHT
3154th Post

"Re(4):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 12:01post reply

quote:
I don't think so. I heard some of the crew had to go to court back in the 80's to prove it was all fake and crap. It's just.. done very convincingly.

Mmmhh, now you've made me curious about this movie...

What about the Guinea Pig movies? This very same guy told me they were the sickest movies ever made (I guess he forgot about Cannibal Holocaust...)

Red Falcon
5293th Post

"Re(5):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 12:09post reply

I've never seen any of them, although I hear that the "new, remastered" version of the first makes it very obviously fake (apparently, when it isn't such crappy film quality, it's obviously phoney)

catalyst
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 12:20post reply

quote:
I've never seen any of them, although I hear that the "new, remastered" version of the first makes it very obviously fake (apparently, when it isn't such crappy film quality, it's obviously phoney)

In a sense the quality of supposed gruesome violence would be equivalent to something like Ichi the killer?

sabo10
1046th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 12:34post reply

the last thing we need is to have movies like these to desensitize the whole american and european societies w/ such... sickening sins and evil...

Nate
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 13:35post reply

quote:

Mmmhh, now you've made me curious about this movie...

What about the Guinea Pig movies? This very same guy told me they were the sickest movies ever made (I guess he forgot about Cannibal Holocaust...)

I'm pretty sure the movie Cannibal Ferox (similar concept to Holocaust) DOES have actual animals being killed in it. Which is sick, but hey, Italian exploitation film makers were probably on a lot of drugs back then.

Cannibal Holocaust is infamously dubbed the most gory, violent movie and such by most, though, this is correct. I myself haven't seen it. I have, however, seen a movie where a woman vomits up her own intestines. Kind of convincingly done for a movie from 1980.

The Guinea Pig series is similarly given a reputation for violence and gore, but I haven't seen it either. Wow, I'm not being very helpful, huh?

I'd say the movies you're talking about haven't aged too well, though. The gore's probably easier to spot as fake.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

Red Falcon
5294th Post

"Re(6):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 13:45post reply

Cannibal Ferox, eh? Another movie in a VERY similar vein to CH.. I don't know if the animal killings in that were real or not, I just always assumed they were fake, too...Hmm, while we're talking about shitty movies... slightly different sort of shitty, but hey! I might as well ask, right? So anyway, has anybody here seen or heard of "Blood Freak" or "The Godmonster of Indian Flats"?

ONSLAUGHT
3155th Post

"Re(6):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 14:03post reply

quote:
I have, however, seen a movie where a woman vomits up her own intestines. Kind of convincingly done for a movie from 1980.

Is it, by any chance, a movie called Gates of Hell?

I've seen a few screen caps of Cannibal Holocaust and Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood, and they're disturbing, to say the least.
Maybe I will hunt down these two movies, but the thought of seeing real animals killed on screen is keeping me away from CH.

Nate
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 14:21post reply

quote:

Is it, by any chance, a movie called Gates of Hell?

Yes, yes it is. My copy's called City of the Living Dead, one of multiple titles for it. It had a horribly nonsensical ending, didn't it?

quote:

I've seen a few screen caps of Cannibal Holocaust and Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood, and they're disturbing, to say the least.
Maybe I will hunt down these two movies, but the thought of seeing real animals killed on screen is keeping me away from CH.

Yeah, Cannibal Ferox is pretty trashy. I only wish I had more knowledge about the cannibal subgenre so I could be of more help.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

ONSLAUGHT
3156th Post

"Re(8):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 14:34post reply

quote:
has anybody here seen or heard of "Blood Freak" or "The Godmonster of Indian Flats"?

Not that I remember, but maybe I've seen it under a diferent name.
quote:
Yeah, Cannibal Ferox is pretty trashy. I only wish I had more knowledge about the cannibal subgenre so I could be of more help.

I didn't know a cannibal subgenre existed, until now.

By the way, do you know if there's a compilation of Puppet Master movies? I would like to own them all on DVD.

Nate
352th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 14:48:post reply

quote:

I didn't know a cannibal subgenre existed, until now.

By the way, do you know if there's a compilation of Puppet Master movies? I would like to own them all on DVD.

Yeah, the whole cannibal craze was an offshoot of zombie movies, I believe. It was pretty short-lived, and obviously they don't do cannibal flicks anymore, but it still had its time.

I checked Amazon for some sort of Puppet Master compliation and nothing turned up.

Speaking of movies I'd like to see, Santa Sangre seems really tempting. I don't know if you can even buy it in the US. Wasn't there something about it being banned here? Dammit.

Speaking of horror movies I'd like to watch, what about Santa Sangre? I don't know if I can even get it in the US, but I really want to see it. Wasn't it banned here or something? Dammit.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

[this message was edited by Nate on Mon 20 Dec 14:56]

HAYATO
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 18:05:post reply

quote:
Speaking of horror movies I'd like to watch, what about Santa Sangre? I don't know if I can even get it in the US, but I really want to see it. Wasn't it banned here or something? Dammit.

Well, it's one of the most famous Jodorowsky's movies, along with "El Topo" and "Holy Mountain". I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to get it soon, it looks promising.

I once saw a japanese Jodorowsky pack, so if you want them that badly you can try searching for this. I'd suggest you get them via P2P, as apart from those DVD collection and some bootleg video editions, most of Jodorosky's film copies were destroyed by an angry producer as an attempt of vengeance against him, so now these films are really hard to find anywhere.

I'm really looking forward to "Abelcain : Sons of el Topo" the sequel to "El Topo" which is going to be released in 2005, with nick Nolte and Marilyn Manson as the Bicentenary Cannibal Pope...

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Mon 20 Dec 18:06]

Iggy
5213th Post

"Re(10):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Mon 20 Dec 19:03post reply

quote:

I don't remember much about Santa Sangre; I know I saw it on TV years ago, and I thought it was simply brilliant.

Mosquiton
1461th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Nekromantic 2" , posted Tue 21 Dec 03:59post reply

quote:

I don't remember much about Santa Sangre; I know I saw it on TV years ago, and I thought it was simply brilliant.

Speaking of movies so gory and messed up they could scar you for life, I saw Santa Sangre as well... with a gothy chick I used to hang out with. But it didn't really phase me since she'd already shown me Nekromantic 1 and 2.

I can't really say anything about Cannibal Holocaust, but Nekromantic 2 is by far the most fucked-up film I have ever seen. And yeah, the title says most of it. Ugh.

My head is getting a little swirly now so I'm just going to go sit down somewhere else and try to think of things that aren't this.

/ / /

Kikkoken
778th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Tue 21 Dec 04:57:post reply

Cannibal Holocaust does feature scenes with real animals being slaughtered & eviscerated (a giant turtle, a rat & a monkey). Those are really shocking. To me, the whole film is so realistic that it seems more akin to snuff movies, like the "Face à la Mort" series, than it belongs to the horror genre. It's a go-between actually. A must-see, especially if Zangief is sitting next to you and can hold you in his sweaty furry arms when you're afraid.

[this message was edited by Kikkoken on Tue 21 Dec 04:58]

Kikkoken
778th Post

"Re(2):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Tue 21 Dec 05:02post reply

I wanted to show the film to Iggy last Thursday, but I didn't for fear he might be tempted to eat my penis after that.

HAYATO
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Tue 21 Dec 06:32post reply

quote:
I wanted to show the film to Iggy last Thursday, but I didn't for fear he might be tempted to eat my penis after that.

Would it be a BIG loss, or just a little nuisance?

Iggy
5218th Post

"Re(4):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Tue 21 Dec 07:06post reply

quote:

CRITICAL HIT !

Kikkoken
779th Post

"Re(4):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Tue 21 Dec 07:09post reply

quote:

I would have shrunk with fear. So it would not have been much of a meal.

Mosquiton
1463th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Plump when you cook 'em" , posted Tue 21 Dec 09:44post reply

quote:

I would have shrunk with fear. So it would not have been much of a meal.

"[they]Plump when you cook 'em" is a popular hot dog/sausage slogan in North America.

I think it may be applicable here.

...where did the usual traffic go?

/ / /

simonbelmont
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Cannibal Holocaust" , posted Tue 21 Dec 15:04post reply

No one can do violent explotation movies as good as the Italian ones from the late 70's to early 80's. I recommend Lucio Fulci movies over the cannibal ones though. It was nice to see Tarentino give him a shout out in the Kill Bill v. 2 credits. RIP Fulci!

some gory shit worth checking out: The Beyond, The NY Ripper, Zombi 2, Burial Ground, City of the Living Dead, House on the Edge of the Park, Blood Sucking Freaks

Nate
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Tarantino and Fulci" , posted Tue 21 Dec 15:36post reply

quote:
No one can do violent explotation movies as good as the Italian ones from the late 70's to early 80's. I recommend Lucio Fulci movies over the cannibal ones though. It was nice to see Tarentino give him a shout out in the Kill Bill v. 2 credits. RIP Fulci!

some gory shit worth checking out: The Beyond, The NY Ripper, Zombi 2, Burial Ground, City of the Living Dead, House on the Edge of the Park, Blood Sucking Freaks

Yeah, I'm a fan of Fulci as well, nonsensical as his movies sometimes are. Did you catch the similarities between the burial scene in Kill Bill 2 and the one in City of the Living Dead?

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

simonbelmont
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Tarantino and Fulci" , posted Wed 22 Dec 14:28post reply

quote:
Yeah, I'm a fan of Fulci as well, nonsensical as his movies sometimes are. Did you catch the similarities between the burial scene in Kill Bill 2 and the one in City of the Living Dead?

I did notice that. The whole buried alive thing. Also noticed Tarantino borrowed the line 'I'm Buck and I'm rearing to fuck' from Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive.

Nice to meet another Fulci fan. Yes, his movies are nonsensical and the endings don't always make sense but the gore effects are great. Did you see Fulci's Conquest? Makes me wish Peter Jackson would have stuck to his horror roots.

Nate
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Tarantino and Fulci" , posted Wed 22 Dec 15:03post reply

quote:

I did notice that. The whole buried alive thing. Also noticed Tarantino borrowed the line 'I'm Buck and I'm rearing to fuck' from Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive.

Nice to meet another Fulci fan. Yes, his movies are nonsensical and the endings don't always make sense but the gore effects are great. Did you see Fulci's Conquest? Makes me wish Peter Jackson would have stuck to his horror roots.

I think that's the appeal of Fulci. It's not the conclusion so much as the trip there. Sure, his films might not have some deep hidden meaning but he is certainly able to create this creepy dreamlike atmosphere within most of them.

I haven't seen Conquest, though. I've heard it was very different for a...what would you call that genre? Peplum movie? Sword and sorcery? Well, whatever. I want to see it.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

simonbelmont
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Tarantino and Fulci" , posted Thu 23 Dec 13:46post reply

quote:

I haven't seen Conquest, though. I've heard it was very different for a...what would you call that genre? Peplum movie? Sword and sorcery? Well, whatever. I want to see it.

Yeah, you have to see it to believe it. The heroes wander around Southern Italy in search of an evil naked sorceress. Along the way they fight zombies, ice monkeys, and are rescued by dolphins. It's truly an awful film. I loved every minute of it.

Did you notice the Donald Duck figure seems to represent lost innocence in his movies? I have way too much free time on my hands.

Nate
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Tarantino and Fulci" , posted Thu 23 Dec 14:20post reply

quote:

Yeah, you have to see it to believe it. The heroes wander around Southern Italy in search of an evil naked sorceress. Along the way they fight zombies, ice monkeys, and are rescued by dolphins. It's truly an awful film. I loved every minute of it.

Did you notice the Donald Duck figure seems to represent lost innocence in his movies? I have way too much free time on my hands.

Yeah, I heard about the strange creature and stuff in reviews. And the naked sorceress in the silly gold mask.

I've only noticed the duck connection in two of his films. I know it's very prominent in New York Ripper, and then there was Don't Torture a Duckling, if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know much about the latter apart from the basic plot. Did it show up in a lot of others? I never noticed, if it has.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

ONSLAUGHT
3159th Post

"Seen it" , posted Thu 23 Dec 14:57post reply

Well, I was expecting more.
The part with the animals is sickening though, specially that poor possum.
Anyway, I bet the effects were great for its time, or a lot more shocking than today.
The only part that made me say wow, was the part when the cannibals ate the first guy, those Fx's are top notch even for this day.
But, besides the special effects, the movie offers nothing! You don't feel sorry for the poor fuckers being killed and eaten, because they had it coming, they were the true savages of the film, not the cannibals.
The movie is very slow paced, and it ends abruptly; it's not like I expected the cannibals to maim and eat them for an hour or so, but at least I thought the guys would try to go away, not to keep filming the death of another guy...

Anyway, I bet this would have been quite the experience back in the day.

Now, onto the Guinea Pig movies hunt...

Nate
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Seen it" , posted Thu 23 Dec 15:59post reply

quote:
But, besides the special effects, the movie offers nothing! You don't feel sorry for the poor fuckers being killed and eaten, because they had it coming, they were the true savages of the film, not the cannibals.
The movie is very slow paced, and it ends abruptly; it's not like I expected the cannibals to maim and eat them for an hour or so, but at least I thought the guys would try to go away, not to keep filming the death of another guy...

Anyway, I bet this would have been quite the experience back in the day.

That's one thing about Italian movies. They don't usually try to make you like the main characters, at least not in exploitation films like that. Usually gialli have somewhat more redeemable protagonists (like in Argento's films, for example), but yeah, the cannibal movies have characters who are mainly assholes.

Meanwhile, I'm halfway through Santa Sangre and it's been...very odd so far. But in a good way.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

ONSLAUGHT
3160th Post

"Re(2):Seen it" , posted Thu 23 Dec 16:15post reply

By the way Nate, where are you from? Italia? I thought you were from Brazil

Grave
871th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Seen it" , posted Thu 23 Dec 16:20post reply

quote:
Now, onto the Guinea Pig movies hunt...

I have Santa Sangre, but it's in Boston and I'm in PA... I guess I'll watch it when I get back.

Anyway, I've seen the first two Guinea Pig films. The first was uninteresting trash. The second, though, Flower of Flesh and Blood, is a great showcase of low budget physical effects looking damn good. Charlie Sheen saw it years ago and called the FBI, thinking it was a snuff film. An investigation was launched and the filmmakers were forced to make a "making of" video to prove it wasn't real.

I watched it second semester last year when I was at school, eating popcorn and pointing out cool stuff they did. My roommate covered the side of his face with a pillow so he wouldn't have to risk seeing any of it and proceeded to watch the Simpsons on his side of the room.

I guess the moral of the story is that I lived with a pussy and that the second Guinea Pig movie is pretty vile. A lady gets dismembered in all kinds of fun ways by some crazy dude. Just skip the first one if you can, there's nothing remotely interesting about it.

Iggy
5246th Post

"Re(3):Seen it" , posted Thu 23 Dec 21:10post reply

quote:

Oh no!

Nate
368th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Seen it" , posted Thu 23 Dec 21:26post reply

quote:

Actually, I'm from the United States. I'm glad that I don't come across as particularly from any one area, though. I pick up on accents and languages pretty easily so that will help me, should I ever...um...do...things.

I just got into Italian horror movies for a while and know a decent amount about them as a result.

THIS IS DWARF INVASION!

ONSLAUGHT
3161th Post

"Re(4):Seen it" , posted Fri 24 Dec 12:41post reply

quote:

Actually, I'm from the United States.

Ah, I thought you were brazilian, maybe I confused you with someone else. And I don't know why I said Italia, instead of Italy...