Dog Ending: "zine" still a word ppl use?! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1285 Views )

user profileedit/delete message
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Dog Ending: "zine" still a word ppl use?!" , posted Tue 21 Apr 01:15post reply

The fantastically named Silent Hill fan zine "Dog Ending" is released.

But I am more shocked that such a thing is called a "zine" at all. I haven't seen this word used in ages! Or am I just in the wrong corners of the internet? I have seen books made which are a collaboration of fan artists working on a particular subject, but these that I've seen are called "fanbook"/"fan book". I don't know what to think about that! I'm sure in Japan this would just be labelled a "doujin anthology" of some kind, but I do wonder how other languages describe such works!

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Dog Ending:" , posted Wed 22 Apr 00:05post reply

quote:
The fantastically named Silent Hill fan zine "Dog Ending" is released.

But I am more shocked that such a thing is called a "zine" at all. I haven't seen this word used in ages! Or am I just in the wrong corners of the internet? I have seen books made which are a collaboration of fan artists working on a particular subject, but these that I've seen are called "fanbook"/"fan book". I don't know what to think about that! I'm sure in Japan this would just be labelled a "doujin anthology" of some kind, but I do wonder how other languages describe such works!

That pdf file is nice but they missed a golden opportunity by not having a special collector edition that was printed off on a copy machine and hand stapled for that proper zine experience.

PSN: zonepharaoh
CFN: zonepharaoh

"Re(2):Dog Ending:" , posted Wed 22 Apr 06:11:post reply

Ishmael's description says it all! I think 'zine is still most current in the punk or alternative scenes, even as fan magazines (and magazines in general) have faded in recent years. The aesthetic is definitely still there and useful for evoking that kind of counter-cultural, handmade, DIY cut-and-paste look. Sometimes this word and look can sort of fetishize the past or be used as a stand-in for authenticity--why is scanning a bunch of cutouts more legit than a punk blog?--but the visual history is powerful. This reminds me of an interesting word that a friend has to remind me of every few months or so (I’ve forgotten again), where an analogue look is reproduced in digital as some kind of totem or aesthetic, like how iphone interfaces used to have "wooden" panels and backgrounds...woah, and like Cafe frontpage for that matter!

I guess what I'm saying is that the best and oldest existing games BBS is the most punk rawk zine situation on the entire internet.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 22 Apr 11:11]

PSN: Ishmael26b
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Dog Ending:" , posted Wed 22 Apr 21:55post reply

quote:
This reminds me of an interesting word that a friend has to remind me of every few months or so (I’ve forgotten again), where an analogue look is reproduced in digital as some kind of totem or aesthetic, like how iphone interfaces used to have "wooden" panels and backgrounds...woah, and like Cafe frontpage for that matter!

I'm hoping the next generation of consoles has a simulated wood grain similar to the Atari 2600. That look is coming back, honest!

Speaking of textures, I've always been impressed that the MMCafe can have a wood/green aesthetic that doesn't invoke the feel of a Family Truckster. It's a delicate balancing act.

"Re(4):Dog Ending:" , posted Thu 23 Apr 06:19post reply

quote:
This reminds me of an interesting word that a friend has to remind me of every few months or so (I’ve forgotten again), where an analogue look is reproduced in digital as some kind of totem or aesthetic, like how iphone interfaces used to have "wooden" panels and backgrounds...woah, and like Cafe frontpage for that matter!

I'm hoping the next generation of consoles has a simulated wood grain similar to the Atari 2600. That look is coming back, honest!

Speaking of textures, I've always been impressed that the MMCafe can have a wood/green aesthetic that doesn't invoke the feel of a Family Truckster. It's a delicate balancing act.

I know exactly what word you are thinking of, which is skeumorphism. It sort of became a caricature of itself as time went on, and the design went from something that was inviting by relating to familiar physical things to something that was garish, ugly, and used the limited screen space poorly. However, I think that should be distinguished from UI elements which are not necessarily meant to be manipulated directly by the user and instead provide interest/aesthetic value in their presentation. For instance, the HP numbers in Earthbound rolling to their values is amusing and exciting, or RPGs which try to present things as being made of glass and wood so that they don't feel quite so abstract.

Personally, I think that as a design style for computer programs, it often doesn't feel very punk because it doesn't come across as amateurish enough: the most popular ones of these were Apple software from a decade ago. There are some exceptions, though, such as the various things in Grasshopper Manufacture games.