Original message (1112 Views )
Lord SNK
352th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Silver Customer

"Games on crank" , posted Sat 25 May 01:28post reply

I think this needs a thread of its own.
https://play.date/

I like this type of experimental things, the crank could be used in absolutely ingenious or stupid ways, who knows, and there are people behind this like the guy who made Qwop and that game.

If I had more disposable income I would buy this blindly, but being in Europe, surely I'll be fucked up also with customs/shipping costs/etc.

Replies:

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Games on Playdate" , posted Sat 25 May 23:39:post reply

Playdate might be the most MMCafe thing of all time...at least if it weren't currently so West-centric, but at least they have certified genius Takahashi Keita doing a game for it.

It's probably too expensive, but since Nintendo was the last man standing on portables and they're now all-in for Switch, maybe there is a place for something fun like this!

If they're lucky, they will outsell the N-Gage!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 26 May 12:21]

KTallguy
1540th Post

PSN: KTallguy
STM: KTallguy
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Games on Playdate" , posted Mon 27 May 20:54post reply

I would buy this if I didn't have a zillion other things to play. I think that's the trick, the market is very crowded, especially now that there are high quality mobile games as well.

The crank is really cool though, I wonder how that will look when I whip it out during rush hour on the train. I can see a fishing game happening, is there a gyroscope?

Professor
5644th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Games on Playdate" , posted Mon 27 May 23:34post reply

It's a very interesting handheld design! When I saw it though I thought it was a no-battery handheld that was supposed to be charged up with the crank, kind of like emergency radios and flashlights (I thought that's why it was so yellow).

"Re(3):Bass on Playdate" , posted Mon 27 May 23:41post reply

Of course, it’s so obvious now! Is the Playdate the platform we’ve all been waiting for for the follow-up to Get Bass/Sega Bass Fishing?!?!?!

Lord SNK
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Games on Playdate" , posted Tue 28 May 02:53post reply

quote:
It's a very interesting handheld design! When I saw it though I thought it was a no-battery handheld that was supposed to be charged up with the crank, kind of like emergency radios and flashlights (I thought that's why it was so yellow).

I thought the same when I read that it has a B/W screen!

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Games on Playdate" , posted Tue 28 May 07:56post reply

quote:

Sadly, it reminds me of the idealistic OLPC project, which was originally built around delivering a proposed $100 wi-fi capable laptop that could be charged by a hand crank.

Mosquiton
2417th Post

"Re(4):Bass on Playdate" , posted Tue 28 May 10:10post reply

quote:
Of course, it’s so obvious now! Is the Playdate the platform we’ve all been waiting for for the follow-up to Get Bass/Sega Bass Fishing?!?!?!

I had an idea to combine half of a Sega Bass/Marine Fishing cabinet with half of a Gunblade NY cabinet when I was younger....

Sadly I did not achieve that particular dream.

/ / /
KTallguy
1541th Post

PSN: KTallguy
STM: KTallguy
CFN: n/a
Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Games on Playdate" , posted Tue 28 May 10:57post reply

quote:
Sadly, it reminds me of the idealistic OLPC project, which was originally built around delivering a proposed $100 wi-fi capable laptop that could be charged by a hand crank.

I remember that! It would be funny if they somehow made it dual purpose. We have a hand cranked flashlight/charger in our emergency pack, so maybe I can use that to charge my Playdate when the world ends.

Speaking from a pretentious designer perspective, the fact that this thing is so simple yet has a "crank wrinkle" is sort of nice. It amazes me how complicated games are these days... of course I'm doing nothing to make that better, but when you look at how many games require you to operate the camera and move the character at the same time, with our complicated controllers with 18+ inputs, it's a bit insane. So going to a black and white, 2D plane with limited input can prevent you from overcomplicating your design... maybe?

Of course, kids today play Fortnite on their phones so what do I know...

"Re(5):Bass on Playdate" , posted Wed 29 May 14:07post reply

quote:
I had an idea to combine half of a Sega Bass/Marine Fishing cabinet with half of a Gunblade NY cabinet when I was younger....

Sadly I did not achieve that particular dream.

There is still time! Look, if the Dreamcast fishing controller is Officially Compatible with Soul Calibur (and it is), then I feel there's room for your plan of literally shooting fish in a barrel.

What were we talking about again? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to see Calamari Damashii (not my joke) on Playdate where you amass huge balls of fish with the handle as a fishing reel.