user profileedit/delete message
PSN: ShikyohMukuro
XBL: IAMDC1
Wii: n/a
STM: N/A
CFN: n/a
Gold Customer

"Remaking A Zelda Game! A Lost Idea?" , posted Tue 4 Dec 11:37post reply

I always like Zelda. But never had the time to play one recently. The last one I played was Twilight Princess in 2009. Wow that was almost ten years ago. Since then, I figured my next one would be Skyward Sword. Recently I wonder which Zelda game I should play. Haven't played most on DS or 3DS nor Majoras Mask.

But then something caught my attention. There has never been a remake of any zelda game to a more enhanced port from the original in any format. Only re-releases of a couple with HD poured into it except one. That was the original Zelda released to the SatellaView system that looked like a 16-bit game like Link to the Past.

I wonder why is that the case that no authentic remakes have been created? Every franchise has had a remake on one of its original titles like Megaman, Castlevania, Mario, etc.

Long Live I AM!

Replies:

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Remaking A Zelda Game! A Lost Idea?" , posted Tue 4 Dec 15:51post reply

quote:
I always like Zelda. But never had the time to play one recently. The last one I played was Twilight Princess in 2009. Wow that was almost ten years ago. Since then, I figured my next one would be Skyward Sword. Recently I wonder which Zelda game I should play. Haven't played most on DS or 3DS nor Majoras Mask.

But then something caught my attention. There has never been a remake of any zelda game to a more enhanced port from the original in any format. Only re-releases of a couple with HD poured into it except one. That was the original Zelda released to the SatellaView system that looked like a 16-bit game like Link to the Past.

I wonder why is that the case that no authentic remakes have been created? Every franchise has had a remake on one of its original titles like Megaman, Castlevania, Mario, etc.

I don't have much time to elaborate but, if you like Zelda games, you have to give Breath of the Wild a try. It is a treat to all Zelda fans and a love letter to the art of creating videogames in general.

A Talking about Japanese History sword in hand

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Remaking A Zelda Game! A Lost Idea?" , posted Wed 5 Dec 00:37:post reply

quote:

Part of the reason is probably that it is a Nintendo series. Remakes for series like Mega Man and Castlevania were often released on a different manufacturer's hardware.

Mega Man: The Wily Wars was Capcom putting the first three Nintendo NES releases on the Sega Genesis. Powered Up was remaking the NES original for the Sony PSP. Castlevania Chronicles was from the X68000 to the PS1. The PC Engine's Rondo of Blood became remade (or downgraded) as Dracula X for the SNES and switched to 3D graphics as Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP. Symphony of the Night was from the PS1 to the Saturn.

You do get some remakes within the same console manufacturer family, but even they can have special circumstances. The 1997 PS1 console Symphony is remade for the 2008 PSP handheld Dracula X Chronicles.

When you take out games being remade for release on different manufacturer's systems, and at least asterisk some of the different systems within the same manufacturer's family, you are left with other Nintendo games like Mario for a comparison.

Super Mario All-Stars was an enhanced remake of the NES Mario titles for the SNES. Why wasn't the same done for Zelda? The obvious answer is that Mario was Nintendo's mascot; All-Stars was I believe originally a free promotion release and later a pack-in? There is another difference though. There were four NES Mario games, but only two NES Zelda games. At a time when next-gen remakes weren't that much of a thing, Mario All-Stars *looked* like a better deal for consumers, something worthy of SNES cart prices.

NES Zelda 1 did eventually get a SNES remake, by itself for the Satelliview.

By the time we get to the Gamecube, emulation has become the new way to bring old games to new systems. But emulation efforts are hardly ever "enhanced", at most picking up some extra outside-the-game content (like artwork) or a few emulator-based benefits (like save states) or basic quality of life improvements. Emulated Zelda 1 is a bonus in Animal Crossing. The Zelda Collector's Edition promotional disc (promoting Wind Waker) has emulated Zelda 1 and 2, as well as emulated Ocarina and Majora's Mask. (I want to recall there was another promo disc that had Ocarina Master Quest?) The sadly funny thing is that in the efforts to hold to (an approximation of) "accuracy", we ended up losing a lot of the extras that we used to get.

Even when the NES Zeldas get ported to the Game Boy Advance, rather than in the form of graphically enhanced remakes, it is instead as "re-releases".

As 3D hardware improved, we started getting remasters rather than remakes, where you might just get something like the 3D graphics being output at higher resolutions, with maybe some higher resolution textures to match.

However, Wind Waker HD was more than a generic remaster. The (then unusable) Tingle Tuner was replaced with a Miiverse powered alternative, the Triforce collection stuff was altered, and a fast travel sail was added.

The Wii U port of Twilight Princess added Amiibo functionality, which along with some cheats (Link and Zelda amiibos) also unlocked an exclusive if simple dungeon (Wolf Link amiibo) and unlocked something of a hard mode (Ganondorf amiibo).

EDIT: At the 2010 E3, Nintendo had a tech demo showing off 3DS 3D versions of 18-19 NES and SNES games, including The Legend of Zelda. However, only six of the NES games would eventually see release as part of the 3D Classics line, and Zelda was not one of those six games.

[this message was edited by Baines on Wed 5 Dec 08:52]

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Remaking A Zelda Game! A Lost Idea?" , posted Mon 10 Dec 05:57post reply

quote:

Part of the reason is probably that it is a Nintendo series. Remakes for series like Mega Man and Castlevania were often released on a different manufacturer's hardware.

Mega Man: The Wily Wars was Capcom putting the first three Nintendo NES releases on the Sega Genesis. Powered Up was remaking the NES original for the Sony PSP. Castlevania Chronicles was from the X68000 to the PS1. The PC Engine's Rondo of Blood became remade (or downgraded) as Dracula X for the SNES and switched to 3D graphics as Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP. Symphony of the Night was from the PS1 to the Saturn.

You do get some remakes within the same console manufacturer family, but even they can have special circumstances. The 1997 PS1 console Symphony is remade for the 2008 PSP handheld Dracula X Chronicles.

When you take out games being remade for release on different manufacturer's systems, and at least asterisk some of the different systems within the same manufacturer's family, you are left with other Nintendo games like Mario for a comparison.

Super Mario All-Stars was an enhanced remake of the NES Mario titles for the SNES. Why wasn't the same done for Zelda? The obvious answer is that Mario was Nintendo's mascot; All-Stars was I believe originally a free promotion release and later a pack-in

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I think if there's going to be a significantly altered Zelda game to be re-released, it'd probably be Skyward Sword, simply because of its control scheme. I don't know if the Switch controllers have the higher fidelity position tracking built in or not, in addition to it inherently not jiving with Switch portable mode.

I agree that HD remasters of Zelda games, let alone full-on remakes, are something far and few in between. The quality of life improvements that the 3DS version made to Zelda 64 were substantial, but it still didn't change how the camera worked. The same could be said of the 3DS version of Majora's Mask, which contained substantial quality of life additions, but otherwise was the same game with the same assets outside of the HUD.

However, with the tremendous critical and commercial success of BotW, I actually think there is both more potential and less potential for Zelda remakes. The reason why I think it could go both ways is that BotW represents a new direction for Zelda games, and Nintendo might not want to make shiny new Zelda games that detract from that direction. On the other hand, because there will be players hankering for the older style of Zelda game, a remake of an older one is less costly to do than a full-on new game. So I don't know!

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Remaking A Zelda Game! A Lost Idea?" , posted Mon 10 Dec 07:57post reply

I'd kind of like to see Zelda 2 remade. Not just graphically enhanced, but rather legitimately remade. Fill in that empty overworld a bit. Fix the balance a bit (Death Mountain.) Make stuff like using magic a bit more reasonable. If you go with 3D, then overhaul the combat system. Heck, you could probably overhaul the combat a bit even if you stayed with 2D.

But for that effort, Nintendo would most likely just rather make a completely new Zelda title.