2D 'flight simulators'? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1505 Views )
HokutoAndy

139th Post

user profileedit/delete message
Regular Customer

"2D 'flight simulators'?" , posted Mon 22 Oct 17:11post reply

I really enjoyed the flight sequences of Metal Slug, but the player's plane basically hovers as the screen moves, while the enemy's planes fly at you in loops and so on more 'realistically'

I've been wondering if there are any games that are somewhat realistic with flying a plane (you don't turn instantly but turn and loop like you're affected by your velocity, air resistence, gravity, weight, wing flaps, etc.)

Luftrausers is kiiinda like that but that's more like flying a rocket shaped like a plane where you fall like a brick when you stop thrusting, and less like an airplane that is riding the air.

Something like this sequence of Metal Slug 1, but the player flies like the enemy Flying Tara does:
https://youtu.be/InpsJRSMHJs?t=150

Replies:
HokutoAndy

140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):2D 'flight simulators'?" , posted Mon 22 Oct 17:16post reply

Found a youtube video compiling 2D flight simulators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgm5EVALjD0

They're cool but actually flight simulators so about keeping the plane in the air with in depth controls rather than action combat.

PSN: zonepharaoh
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: zonepharaoh
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):2D 'flight simulators'?" , posted Fri 26 Oct 11:44post reply

That's a tough one. My only answers are mostly off-topic, but I really really like the effects that even the simple airships in Final Fantasy VI use. It's neat enough how it takes a minute to launch upward from the world map when you board, but what I really like is the sense of braking and pulling up when you land, sort of like how a plane pulls its nose up when it's in the process of landing on a runway.

Despite its visual tricks, Ikaruga is basically a 2D game, and I think the slight visual resistance and half-second delay when your ship does a roll to switch polarities has a wonderful friction to it, as if it really is passing through air.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

"Re(1):2D 'flight simulators'?" , posted Fri 26 Oct 12:35post reply

quote:
I really enjoyed the flight sequences of Metal Slug, but the player's plane basically hovers as the screen moves, while the enemy's planes fly at you in loops and so on more 'realistically'

I've been wondering if there are any games that are somewhat realistic with flying a plane (you don't turn instantly but turn and loop like you're affected by your velocity, air resistence, gravity, weight, wing flaps, etc.)

Luftrausers is kiiinda like that but that's more like flying a rocket shaped like a plane where you fall like a brick when you stop thrusting, and less like an airplane that is riding the air.

Something like this sequence of Metal Slug 1, but the player flies like the enemy Flying Tara does:
https://youtu.be/InpsJRSMHJs?t=150

There are a bunch of these, to varying degrees of arcadey-ness. For instance, the old Choplifter games are such games, where you have mild inertia when trying to shift leftwards or rightwards, and as you direct your helicopter forwards, forwards it slowly shifts downwards and you have to pull it upwards because that's how helicopters actually work when tilted forwards! One of the more recent incarnations of a Choplifter-like game that's actually legit good is Glory Days 2: Brotherhood of Men (no, that's actually what it's called!), and it lets you play both as a helicopter or as a jet, and the jet has the handling characteristics you mention. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS GAME, no joke.

There are two other games which simulate rather different elements of the flying in a combat context: one of them is Steambirds, which is like a top-down version of the board game Canvas Eagles. Steambirds is made by the west coast studio Spry Fox, and the endless Survival mode is available for free online. Steambirds focuses on the fact that turning circles are quite different from one vehicle to another, and it plays in a hybrid real-time/turn-based thing (not the same as real-time with pause, since you don't get to pick when the game pauses).

It's worth pointing out that "it feels like flying a rocket" is an idea that isn't totally wrong about some old airplanes. The amount of drag that was experienced by old bi/tri-planes was such that performing strange midair manoeuvres was possible that we don't associate with "how planes fly". I'll have to dig up the quote later, but basically it was said that the drag experienced by some of these planes was so comically huge that it was possible to perform a manoeuvre where the plane seemed to change which way it was pointing without yet changing course, as well as "flat turning", where it turns without banking.

Skykid on the NES sought to make gameplay that involved the challenges of "you can only shoot at what your plane is literally pointed at, so shooting at things on the ground means your plane is flying towards the ground!" and doing a loop-the-loop was a great and powerful thing. It can definitely be looked at as one of the games that is still very arcade-y, but tries to inject a few angles of realism to the game that radically change how you play the game.

The games you describe about Luftrausers I think of as "like Solar Jetman... wait, why does ANYBODY want games like that?!"

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(2):2D 'flight simulators'?" , posted Sat 27 Oct 02:43post reply

Would something like the old Joust arcade games count? Those games were all about trying to control the wild momentum of your bird.

HokutoAndy

144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):2D 'flight simulators'?" , posted Mon 12 Nov 17:36post reply

Dang those are a lot of cool games I'd never heard of, thanks

quote:
Would something like the old Joust arcade games count? Those games were all about trying to control the wild momentum of your bird.

Yeah, the designers of Joust described it as flying via flapping like a bird. Was it the first game to use inertia and gravity like that?

HokutoAndy

148th Post

Regular Customer

"Fixed/Flip screen platformers" , posted Mon 19 Nov 17:52post reply

Looking up those games got me thinking about platformers, how the majority of them are side scrollers.

Fixed screen though has a charm to it, I think Joust had you advance to the next screen once clearing a stage.

There's multiplayer 2D games that do this, Bomberman series and Towerfall, but I don't recall any recent games that keep the screen fixed.

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Fixed/Flip screen platformers" , posted Mon 19 Nov 18:18post reply

quote:
Looking up those games got me thinking about platformers, how the majority of them are side scrollers.

Fixed screen though has a charm to it, I think Joust had you advance to the next screen once clearing a stage.

There's multiplayer 2D games that do this, Bomberman series and Towerfall, but I don't recall any recent games that keep the screen fixed.

the only game I can think of right now is Escape Goat... ?