Sega Saturn Games - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6337 Views )

Hagen de Merak
1036th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 14:08post reply

Can anyone recommend me some good Japanese Saturn Games? Anything good that didn't come out in the U.S. Which I take is a good bunch. I pretty much like any genre except sports, unless it's something like super dodge ball, meaning non realistic.

Replies:

Toxico
4795th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 15:15post reply

prepare to have your life changed ...... the cinema display where awesome.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 10 as of 23/11/09

KTallguy
1172th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 15:29post reply

I've been Saturning it up lately... do you like action/fighting games mostly? I've been playing Vampire Savior which is great but very bare bones.

There is also an interesting action shooter called Sol Divide I've been playing. That has cool ideas but the levels end super quickly. Still, it's got some RPG elements and it's fun.

I'd love to hear about more suggestions myself :)
That Shinobi X game is really classic and cheesy (in a good way!).

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Iron D
3324th Post

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 17:32post reply

quote:
I've been Saturning it up lately... do you like action/fighting games mostly? I've been playing Vampire Savior which is great but very bare bones.

There is also an interesting action shooter called Sol Divide I've been playing. That has cool ideas but the levels end super quickly. Still, it's got some RPG elements and it's fun.

I'd love to hear about more suggestions myself :)
That Shinobi X game is really classic and cheesy (in a good way!).

I though Hagen asked for Saturn games that were not released in the U.S. Shin Shinobi Den (or Shinobi Legions in the U.S.).

However, Toxico's Shinobi feature there has me second guessing the game. I am almost certain that I read back in the day that the game sucked and was not very Shinobi-like (which I was already suspicious of due to the live action aspect), but after looking at those vids I'd say the game at least looks very Shinobi-esque. Does anyone else have any input on the quality of Shinobi Legions?

Back on topic, all of the Saturn games I would recommend either were actually released in the U.S. or were released in the U.S. eventually for other systems.

X-men vs. Street Fighter and Vampire Saviour were my first two imports EVER, but again, those two were eventually released in the U.S. in some for or other.

Er.....

Abster
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 19:29post reply

quote:
prepare to have your life changed ......

2:38 is one of the most hilarious enemies I've ever seen. I think ACE_Spark's Lets Play of it sums it up best.

Hagen de Merak
1037th Post

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 22:23post reply

quote:

Yeah action, fighting, rpg, shooters (ala ikaruga).

quote:

Back on topic, all of the Saturn games I would recommend either were actually released in the U.S. or were released in the U.S. eventually for other systems.

X-men vs. Street Fighter and Vampire Saviour were my first two imports EVER, but again, those two were eventually released in the U.S. in some for or other.

Really? For which system? The only one I know of for X-men vs Street Fighter is the Playstation version, but that one sucked because you couldn't even tag.

Ishmael
3609th Post

"Re(4):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Wed 28 Oct 22:32post reply

Funny that this topic should come up since I recently pulled out my copy of the D&D Collection. Even after all this time Shadow over Mystara still gets my vote for being the craziest arcade game ever made.

chazumaru
691th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 00:29:post reply

Well I cannot tell what you already own but, following your criterias:
+ Anything good that didn't come out in the U.S.
+ shooters (ala ikaruga)
-----------------------------------------------
= Well, the obvious answer is Radiant Silvergun.

Here is a quick list of decent to excellent Saturn games that did not come out on Saturn outside Japan as far as I can remember and fit your genres (action, fighting, rpg or shooters but no racing, puzzle or sports):

Assault Suit Leynos 2
Astra Superstars
Atelier marie
Baroque
Battle Garegga
Black/Matrix
Bokkan to Ippatsu!
Bubble Symphony
Chaos Seed
Cotton 2
Cotton Boomerang
Culdcept
Darius Gaiden
Dead or Alive
Devil Summoner
Donpachi
Dodonpachi
Dragon Force II
Dungeons & Dragons Colleciton
☆Elevator Action Returns
EVE burst error
Falcom Classics
Feda Remake!
Fighters History Dynamite
Gekirindan
Goiken Muyou Anarchy in the nippon
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Grandia
Groove on Fight
Guardian Force
Gunbird
Gundam Side Story I
Gundam Side Story II
Gundam Side Story III
Hissatsu!
Hyper Duel
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius Forever with Me
Langrisser Tribute
Linda³
Lunar The Silver Star
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Machi
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
Metal Black
☆Metal Slug
Nanatsukaze no shima monogatari
Phantasy Star Collection
Pocket Fighter
Policenauts
Princess Crown
Purikura Daisakusen
Quo vadis 2
☆Radiant Silvergun
Real Bout Fatal Fury Best Collection
Rockman 8
Sakura Taisen
☆Sakura Taisen 2
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Samurai Spirits Best Collection
Sengoku blade
Shadows Of The Tusk
Shienryuu
☆(The) Shining Force III (complete trilogy)
Shiroki majou
☆Snatcher
Sokyuugurentai
☆Soul Hackers
Stellar Assault SS
Street Fighter Zero 2'
Street Fighter Zero3
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Suikoenbu Fuunsaiki
Super Robot Wars F
Super Robot Wars F Final
Taromaru (only at a decent price, not its usual going rate)
Tactics Ogre
☆Tenchi wo Kurau II
☆Tengai Makyou Dai 4 no Mokujiroku
Terra Phantastica
The King of Fighters Best Collection
Thunder Force V
Time Gal & Ninja hayate
Tryrush Deppy
Twinkle Star Sprites
Vampire Hunter
☆Vampire Savior
Wachenröder
WolfFang SS
X-men Vs Street Fighter
Yu-No

☆ → If you get only 10, I suggest those.

[edit1] Oh right, I forgot Princess Crown.
[edit2] Also forgot the Lunar games, Culdcept and Chaos Seed (see below).

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Thu 29 Oct 19:19]

nobinobita
642th Post

"Re(1):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 03:58:post reply

quote:
Can anyone recommend me some good Japanese Saturn Games? Anything good that didn't come out in the U.S. Which I take is a good bunch. I pretty much like any genre except sports, unless it's something like super dodge ball, meaning non realistic.

I heartily recommend Groove on Fight, an off the wall tag team fighter that's part of the Power Instinct Series.

The game is dear to my heart as it was my introduction to Range Murata, one of my favorite artists who did all the character designs giving the game a very alternative feel.

This game was also my first introduction to the concept of awesome underboob. That's true design innovation!

I also recommend Astra Super Stars, a followup to Waku Waku 7 with awesome characters and animation and very unique DBZ/Psychic Force esque gameplay where the characters fly around screen at all times.

Oh, and I've never had the chance to get my hands on this game, but I've always wanted it:

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2rCkFacCKI&feature=PlayList&p=6B58239EF934CA10&index=11
This game is be-yoo-ti-ful.

It's got character designs by the legendary Keita Amemiya who seemed to be channeling the spirit of Brian Froud while designing the game.

The game uses a technique similar to Odin Sphere, with characters seperated into object segments, like a paperdoll, but it's not very obvious. It's very smooth and way ahead of its time. The level of craftsmanship in this game is still way ahead of most Flash type animation being produced today.

And if you like Odin Sphere, might as well get Princess Crown. It's just as beautiful, in a 32 bit way.

Other recommendations:

Super Tempo
A fun platformer with awesome animation.

Golden Axe the Duel
I know it's not highly regarded as a competitive fighter, and its not a Japanese exlcussive, but I think it's got one of the best casts of iconic fantasy archetypes ever visualized in a game or film or anything. I would love to see a new fantasy game in this style.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 29 Oct 04:18]

nobinobita
641th Post

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 04:10post reply

quote:

☆Elevator Action Returns

I just played this game for the first time over the weekend while going through the Taito Legends collection for ps2.

IT'S SOOOOO GOOD!

It's got such an intense, manic feeling to it, like a pumped up version of the greatest American action-buddy-cop movie of all time (which is what all the best arcade games used to aspire to).

Count Hihihi
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 05:43post reply

Well, I would add Virtua Fighter 2, Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix and Zero Divide: Final Conflict to the list as well.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Spoon
1845th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 06:41:post reply

quote:

☆Elevator Action Returns

I just played this game for the first time over the weekend while going through the Taito Legends collection for ps2.

respect--

I expected you to have played this before!
Now my opinion of you is soiled. SOILED.

OTOH Taito Legends is one of the greatest collections ever, putting PuliRula, Growl, Space Invaders '95, and Elevator Action Returns all onto one disc (in addition to a bunch of other great stuff).

On-topic: Silhouette Mirage eventually got a US release on the PSX, but AFAIK the Saturn version was not released in the US. Plus since it's a 2D game it probably looks better on the Saturn anyway.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 29 Oct 06:46]

HAYATO
951th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 09:46post reply

quote:

I heartily recommend Groove on Fight, an off the wall tag team fighter that's part of the Power Instinct Series.

The game is dear to my heart as it was my introduction to Range Murata, one of my favorite artists who did all the character designs giving the game a very alternative feel.

This game was also my first introduction to the concept of awesome underboob. That's true design innovation!

LOL! The same could be said of me, in both cases as well!! Mmmm... good old policewoman Solis

quote:

Oh, and I've never had the chance to get my hands on this game, but I've always wanted it:

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2rCkFacCKI&feature=PlayList&p=6B58239EF934CA10&index=11
This game is be-yoo-ti-ful.

It's got character designs by the legendary Keita Amemiya who seemed to be channeling the spirit of Brian Froud while designing the game.

The game uses a technique similar to Odin Sphere, with characters seperated into object segments, like a paperdoll, but it's not very obvious. It's very smooth and way ahead of its time. The level of craftsmanship in this game is still way ahead of most Flash type animation being produced today.

Wow, that game looks fabulous!! I recall seeing some screenshots in old magazines, but this is the first time I see any actual footage of it (in fact, I completely forgot about it). No wonder it looks so great, coming from Enix.

It seems an interesting graphic adventure and the designs are really awe-inspiring.My only complaint is the main character: controling a leg-pumping, fatass lizardman doesnn't sound too epic. Anyway, any departure from the classic sterotype (i.e. the amnesic shota raised in a village where he was dumped as a baby) is welcome on my part. Plus, its leg-pumping disease isn't the most serious case we know...

There was a project to translate the game into Spanish, but it seems the guy in charge left it on the spot about a year and a half ago. A pity indeed. If only there were any chance of getting an English translation...

And about Saturn hidden jewels... I'd suggest you al try Psychic Killer Taromaru, a strange crossbreed between Shinobi and Mystic Defender that got very high prices in the Saturn collectors market some years ago. Albeit being really difficult to get, I somehow managed to get it on .ISO format, but sadly I was never able to run it on any emulator (my Sega Saturn was so old I couldn't even manage to install a free region chip on it)...

Mozex
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Shadows over Mystara is the best brawler ever" , posted Thu 29 Oct 11:21post reply

quote:
Funny that this topic should come up since I recently pulled out my copy of the D&D Collection. Even after all this time Shadow over Mystara still gets my vote for being the craziest arcade game ever made.

Yes, It's still one of my dreams to have a 2-monitor 4-player cabinet for this game.

Be kind to goblins.

Maou
1844th Post

"Re(1):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 12:20:post reply

quote:

I pride myself on having made a ludicrous number of people buy (Japanese) Saturns despite never having bothered to buy one myself. セガサターン、しろ!

It's hard to follow Chaz's almost perfect lead, which would have been perfect if he hadn't neglected to mention that you really ought to play the Saturn versions of Lunar and Lunar 2. The music is immeasurably better than the Playstation versions, even if the Mega CD versions are still best.

You could also grab the three parts of Shining Force III, which only had the first volume go abroad.

If you like Kojima Hideo, you should grab Snatcher (actually, you should grab that if you like him or not) and Policenauts. Absolutely.

You could also grab, say, ALL of Capcom's output together with the RAM cart. All those sick conversions of the Vs. games, Vampire Savior, etc. used that glorious little cart to make Saturn a fighting powerhouse, plus you have the best fighting game controller ever made, so...

And yes, definitely Radiant Silvergun, I hear. Speaking of shooters, I was just talking (with Ishmael?) in another thread about Sexy Parodius, which you obviously must buy, as well.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 29 Oct 12:33]

nobinobita
643th Post

"Re(4):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 13:23:post reply

quote:

I expected you to have played this before!
Now my opinion of you is soiled. SOILED.

Soiled like the pillow I'll be crying into tonight.

(;_・)

quote:
LOL! The same could be said of me, in both cases as well!! Mmmm... good old policewoman Solis

High five!

quote:
Yes, It's still one of my dreams to have a 2-monitor 4-player cabinet for this game.

Yo tambien.

quote:
It's hard to follow Chaz's almost perfect lead, which would have been perfect if he hadn't neglected to mention that you really ought to play the Saturn versions of Lunar and Lunar 2. The music is immeasurably better than the Playstation versions, even if the Mega CD versions are still best.

Dang fine lists all around. I had no idea the Saturn versions of Lunar had different music from the ps2! I did have the original SegaCD version as a kid though (by which I mean I watched my older brother beat it). Can i get some cool points back for that?

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 29 Oct 13:24]

Maou
1844th Post

"Re(5):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 14:25post reply

quote:

Dang fine lists all around. I had no idea the Saturn versions of Lunar had different music from the ps2! I did have the original SegaCD version as a kid though (by which I mean I watched my older brother beat it). Can i get some cool points back for that?

Actually, you get tons of cool points to add to your already extensive stock for that. More still if you played/watched the superior sequel. But yeah, the music composition is exactly the same in both PS and Saturn (excellent), but the PS emulation of the Saturn sounds resulted in some crappy midi, especially on the violins...plus the (Japanese) PS Eternal Blue had brutal music slowdown during the field-to-battle transition that Working Designs kindly fixed for the US release. Parn, who is awesome, and a longtime Lunar internet presence, ripped the Saturn sounds for you to compare. All of which is to say that Japanese speakers should play the Saturn versions if not the Mega CD versions.

Iron D
3325th Post

"Re(4):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 18:19post reply

quote:

Really? For which system? The only one I know of for X-men vs Street Fighter is the Playstation version, but that one sucked because you couldn't even tag.

Actually that was what I was referring to in the case of XvSF. I guess if you want an arcade perfect version you'll have to go for the import Saturn version.

quote:
☆(The) Shining Force III (complete trilogy)

There is no game...NO GAME AT ALL...that I want released in the U.S. more than the last two chapters of Shining Force III. It pissed me the fuck off that we got an incomplete story and so many dangling plot points after the first chapter and had to settle for them never being resolved. That's just fucked up.

However, I've never been willing to import the other two because a) they have always been super expensive and b) I don't know any Japanese. On top of that, those two are probably impossible to find at this point.

Er.....

chazumaru
691th Post

"Re(5):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 19:24post reply

I left the Lunar games out because I was originally thinking in more restrictive terms. I am not convinced that the Lunar series aged well for people who never played the game and a translated version is available on other platforms. But I should have included them in the current list because they are clearly above some other titles of the list in terms of quality. I took out Culdcept for similar reasons and should have included it.

I am also on the fence regarding titles such as Rabbit, Sonic Wings Special or Sonic Council. Far from amazing but are they really that far below Guardian Force and Trirush Deppy in terms of quality?

Oh and I just realized I also forgot Chaos Seed. That's a great game. I'll add it to the list.

Taromaru is not "really difficult to get", especially in the Age of Internet. It is one of these "rares games" that almost every shop has retrieved one copy from because of their reputation as a rare game. Therefore, the shops know they will find a buyer and make a decent margin on the resell. Which leads to the strange fact that you can actually find Taromaru very easily compared to many other titles, only you will find it at a price which is high and not justified.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

nobinobita
645th Post

"Re(6):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Thu 29 Oct 23:42:post reply

quote:

I am also on the fence regarding titles such as Rabbit

Hehe, i went through the same thought process w/rabbit.

Rabbit is a cool game. I love the Chinese Zodiac theme with the Jojo/Visonaries esque animal avatars.

I just wish it wasn't awkwardly upscaled the whole time.

Still, it's probably the coolest game Electronic Arts has ever published. And now that 2d fighters are rare, it's got alot of novelty to it.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 29 Oct 23:45]

Spoon
1845th Post

"Re(7):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 30 Oct 02:55post reply

quote:

I am also on the fence regarding titles such as Rabbit

Hehe, i went through the same thought process w/rabbit.

Rabbit is a cool game. I love the Chinese Zodiac theme with the Jojo/Visonaries esque animal avatars.

I just wish it wasn't awkwardly upscaled the whole time.

Still, it's probably the coolest game Electronic Arts has ever published. And now that 2d fighters are rare, it's got alot of novelty to it.

Speaking of cool games that EA has published, they also published the US release of Soukyuugurentai (did I spell that right?)... it was released as Terra Diver, and was also on the Saturn (I believe the PSX version was published by some other company who I am too lazy to google right now). I remember when I first played it in arcades I thought it was one of the coolest shooters I had played in a long time.

chazumaru
692th Post

"Re(8):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 30 Oct 03:29post reply

Soukyuugurentai and Soukyuugurentai Otokuyou were both released in Japan by Electronic Arts Victor (same company as Rabbit, back when Akashi Hitoshi was involved). The PS version was initially published by DataEast, then re-published by Hamster.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Tai-Pan
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 30 Oct 06:11:post reply

quote:
Soukyuugurentai and Soukyuugurentai Otokuyou were both released in Japan by Electronic Arts Victor (same company as Rabbit, back when Akashi Hitoshi was involved). The PS version was initially published by DataEast, then re-published by Hamster.

Good read!! I love these!!
One day, maybe the moment I die not only the secrets of the universe will be unveiled to me but I will also read an interview or get some info on the (any of) Tecmo developers who worked on the Captain Tsubasa series for Famicom and Super Famicom.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

[this message was edited by Tai-Pan on Fri 30 Oct 06:12]

KTallguy
1173th Post

"Re(4):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 30 Oct 14:33post reply

quote:
I though Hagen asked for Saturn games that were not released in the U.S. Shin Shinobi Den (or Shinobi Legions in the U.S.).

I realized that after the fact, sorry!

exodus has mentioned Elevator Action Returns several times, I need to find itttttt.

Was Cyberbots ever released in the US? It's a pretty interesting (but a bit impersonal) mecha fighting game. You can pick a driver and a mecha and then battle it out. I think it only uses 4 buttons, but the gameplay depth is there in spades, and the animation is pretty slick.

Armored Warriors, the side scrolling beatemup, is kind of an offshoot of Cyberbots (with shared characters), but I think it's only an arcade title (CP System II).

chazumaru
693th Post

"Re(5):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 30 Oct 17:51post reply

Just one precision: Armored Warriors (a.k.a. Powered Gears) precedes Cyberbots. The latter is the off-shoot.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Loona
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 30 Oct 19:41post reply

quote:

Was Cyberbots ever released in the US? It's a pretty interesting (but a bit impersonal) mecha fighting game. You can pick a driver and a mecha and then battle it out. I think it only uses 4 buttons, but the gameplay depth is there in spades, and the animation is pretty slick.

I liked the fact that the pilot/mecha separation meant the plot you went through (as the chosen pilot) was independent of the gameplay (as chosen mecha) - I can't think of many other ways this can work just fine in a 1-on-1 fighting game where plot is of any relevance.

They need to make at least one more game where Devilotte has some role, or at least have some of the cast and bots added to some Super Robot Wars game as it happened once or twice with Virtua On.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

KTallguy
1174th Post

"Re(6):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 31 Oct 09:52post reply

quote:
Just one precision: Armored Warriors (a.k.a. Powered Gears) precedes Cyberbots. The latter is the off-shoot.

That's right. Thanks for the correction!

quote:

I liked the fact that the pilot/mecha separation meant the plot you went through (as the chosen pilot) was independent of the gameplay (as chosen mecha) - I can't think of many other ways this can work just fine in a 1-on-1 fighting game where plot is of any relevance.

They need to make at least one more game where Devilotte has some role, or at least have some of the cast and bots added to some Super Robot Wars game as it happened once or twice with Virtua On.

I guess I felt the opposite way...I wished that the character I picked had more bearing on the character used in gameplay. There are enough robot variants that it doesn't get too boring, but the swapping made it so they didn't have too much identity. They are still animated with a lot of personality though.

badoor
94th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 31 Oct 11:23post reply

quote:

Good read!! I love these!!
One day, maybe the moment I die not only the secrets of the universe will be unveiled to me but I will also read an interview or get some info on the (any of) Tecmo developers who worked on the Captain Tsubasa series for Famicom and Super Famicom.

Oh I loved the Captain Tsubasa series. They're the best Turn Based Soccer/RPG game you'll find.

As for the topic, my saturn experiance was a limited one considering that I didn't import games for it and was stuck with the US releases.

Regardless, call me crazy but I really liked Sonic R. I just don't understand the hate (I remember a Gamepro or EGM review where the writer claims that the R in the title stands for Return or Recall or Rejected). I even thought that I only liked it back in the day and that in reality it not as good as I remembered so I played it recently (On the Sonic Gems Collection) and it's still decent, not amazing but decent. I'd even go as far and say that sonic team today should use the "steering" control scheme from Sonic R for future 3D Sonic games.

Thinking about all the hate I guess because it came out after Mario 64 and people desperately wanted a 3D Sonic Platformer instead of a racing game, hence the frustration.

P.S. The Soundtrack is stupendously, ridiculously, supremely catchy and I love it.

Gojira
2559th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 31 Oct 14:12post reply

Not enough mentions of Radiant Silvergun. The high resale value of the game is well-deserved, I assure you. I don't even like shooters much and I played that thing every day for a year, and at least once a month after that up until I sold my Saturn stuff. You're probably already interested if you liked Ikaruga, but to give it the proper gravity anyway, Ikaruga is like 2 of the more boring stages of RS. It barely compares.

Also Vampire Savior for the Saturn is the definitive version of the game. You need the 4MB cartridge to run it though.

Oh and IIRC there was also a pretty good 2D fighter I played long ago that was in a school setting, and I think the game was sponsored by Famitsu. I can't remember what the game was called though, it's probably somewhere on that list chaz made.

shipoopi

mbisonhatclub
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 31 Oct 23:11:post reply

quote:
Well I cannot tell what you already own but, following your criterias:
snip

I also notice that you left out Twinbee Deluxe Collection! That is okay, though, because both the PS1 and PSP versions are better ports for generally cosmetic reasons, and Detana is available on Wii VC, anyway.

I can't recommend anything else that someone hasn't already done and my library for the Sega Saturn is fairly short.

I also wanna take a guess that the fighting game in question was Asuka 120%

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Sat 31 Oct 23:18]

Toxico
4797th Post

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 31 Oct 23:46:post reply

quote:

☆Elevator Action Returns

IT'S SOOOOO GOOD!

It's got such an intense, manic feeling to it, like a pumped up version of the greatest American action-buddy-cop movie of all time (which is what all the best arcade games used to aspire to).

Elevator Action Returns was there within my reach at a time where City Hunter and Golgo 13 meant everything in the world for me.

BTW, didn't the saturn version of twinkle star sprites had a bunch of extras?, along with an exclusive character that wasn't present in any of the other ports of the game?

edit : scroll around to the name of the game to download some extra content footage here

I don't know about japan, but among my pals this game had an extensive cult following and a very tough skin peeling competitive scene. The game is fairly more addictive than it should be.

I wonder how the first and the second game fared in the japanese market (aka message known as summon chaz button). Both, the original TSS and the Petite Princess game had their own manga, so I don't think that they where THAT unprofitable. Well, Doki doki majo got it's own manga too, but I rather not to think about that.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 10 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 1 Nov 10:59]

chazumaru
694th Post

"Re(4):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Mon 2 Nov 22:12post reply

quote:
I wonder how the first and the second game fared in the japanese market (aka message known as summon chaz button).

Sorry are you asking about sales of Twinkle Star Sprites? No idea, but I would assume sales were rather small. The franchise doesn't appear in a single database available online. However such a game would not need big volumes to turn profitable.

There was also a mobile phone game.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Hagen de Merak
1038th Post

"Re(1):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 07:21post reply

Hey thank you so much everyone. Special honors to Chazumaru for that awesome list. I've been researching those games, a good deal of them have accessible prices, and are good games. Except for radiant silvergun, too damn expensive lol.

Now for American saturn games. These are the games I have so far for my american saturn,I got pretty good deals on all of them :

Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Shining Wisdom
Astal
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Darius Gaiden

If anyone has any american saturn games they recommend, please let me know. Minus Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, and Shining Force 3, those things are mad expensive lol. Plus as Iron D mentioned, Shining force 3 only episode 1 was translated, so its not worth it. Thanks again, very helpful responses.

nobinobita
646th Post

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 07:49post reply

quote:

If anyone has any american saturn games they recommend, please let me know. Minus Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, and Shining Force 3, those things are mad expensive lol. Plus as Iron D mentioned, Shining force 3 only episode 1 was translated, so its not worth it. Thanks again, very helpful responses.

I heartily recommend Guardian Heroes, especially with a multitap and up to 5 friends (for 6 players simultaneous!). It's some of the most fun I've ever had with a videogame. It's also got great replay value with branching paths, multiple wildly varying endings and a versus mode where you can unlock various enemies and bosses to play as.

It's one of the most rewarding games I can think of.

Hagen de Merak
1039th Post

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 08:14post reply

quote:

I heartily recommend Guardian Heroes, especially with a multitap and up to 5 friends (for 6 players simultaneous!). It's some of the most fun I've ever had with a videogame. It's also got great replay value with branching paths, multiple wildly varying endings and a versus mode where you can unlock various enemies and bosses to play as.

It's one of the most rewarding games I can think of.

Oh damn, I can't believe I forgot about that game. Excellent choice.

sfried
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 12:11:post reply

quote:
Now for American saturn games. These are the games I have so far for my american saturn,I got pretty good deals on all of them :

Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Shining Wisdom
Astal
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Darius Gaiden

Sega Rally Championship. Most notably just because...

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 3 Nov 12:17]

Grave
1242th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 13:31post reply

I know it did come out in the US, but it was such a pain to find when I still cared that it may as well not have... it's worthwhile to note that the Saturn still has the only home version of the original HOUSE OF THE goddamn DEAD. PC version doesn't count because point and click HotD is dumb. Did help me learn the basic flow of the game enough to dismantle the arcade version though!

Best game in the damn series and they keep rehashing 2 and 3... weak. Extra weak, because the Saturn version is a pretty sad port. Still, beggars can't be choosers and I still play it. I'd play it even more if I could get ahold of a pair of those blue Stunners they had in Europe that match the arcade HotD's guns...!

Maou
1848th Post

"Re(2):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 14:15post reply

quote:

Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Shining Wisdom
Astal
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Darius Gaiden

I see you've got most of the excellent Saturn games Working Designs translated, but make sure to add Dragon Force. No one played it, but it's a legendarily EXCELLENT strategy RPG, and it's a good translation since it's WD. Also, make sure the "Panzer Dragoon" includes "Panzer Dragon Saga," too. I mean, didn't that release in the US or something? Maybe they only printed about three copies, but I'm pretty sure I heard about an international release...

Hagen de Merak
1040th Post

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 14:21post reply

quote:

Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Shining Wisdom
Astal
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Darius Gaiden
I see you've got most of the excellent Saturn games Working Designs translated, but make sure to add Dragon Force. No one played it, but it's a legendarily EXCELLENT strategy RPG, and it's a good translation since it's WD. Also, make sure the "Panzer Dragoon" includes "Panzer Dragon Saga," too. I mean, didn't that release in the US or something? Maybe they only printed about three copies, but I'm pretty sure I heard about an international release...

Yeah they released Saga, and as you mentioned they printed like 3 copies, so it's super expensive.

Iron D
3326th Post

"Re(4):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 15:14post reply

quote:

Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Shining Wisdom
Astal
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Darius Gaiden

Yeah they released Saga, and as you mentioned they printed like 3 copies, so it's super expensive.

I am going to second the hell out of Guardian Heroes. That is one of the best games I have ever played. EVER.

I'd say you've got most of the must-have Saturn games (minus the ones you said were too expensive). You MUST get Panzer Dragoon 2 as well. Saga my be too expensive, 2 should be affordable. Awesome game that is better than the original in every single way.

Oh, and Die Hard Arcade should be dirt cheap. A short, but satisfying and fun beat 'em up that is based super-loosely on the movie. As is the case with most beat-em ups, it's also a ton of fun in two player.

Er.....

Hagen de Merak
1041th Post

"Re(5):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 15:55post reply

quote:

Ok, I don't know how, but I think I got a good deal on Dragon Force. Got it for $40 complete. Seeing as how I've seen it go over $80, and shitty games nowadays go for over $50, this seems like a great deal.

quote:

Panzer Dragoon
Nights
Shining Wisdom
Astal
Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
Darius Gaiden

I am going to second the hell out of Guardian Heroes. That is one of the best games I have ever played. EVER.

I'd say you've got most of the must-have Saturn games (minus the ones you said were too expensive). You MUST get Panzer Dragoon 2 as well. Saga my be too expensive, 2 should be affordable. Awesome game that is better than the original in every single way.

Oh, and Die Hard Arcade should be dirt cheap. A short, but satisfying and fun beat 'em up that is based super-loosely on the movie. As is the case with most beat-em ups, it's also a ton of fun in two player.

Maybe I can find a good deal on Guardian Heroes, I doubt it but it can't hurt to try.
Panzer Dragoon 2, great suggestion. From what I see you are right, it seems very affordable, thanks. I'll also look into Die hard.

Oh and Grave, I have Typing of the Dead, the best one in the series LOL.

Grave
1243th Post

"Re(6):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Tue 3 Nov 17:12post reply

I think I still win for Saturn deals... I got Panzer Dragoon Saga for $20 new at a Toys R Us clearance way back in the day. While I'm also fond of the time I got Disgaea for $5 new and flipped it for $135ish, I actually kept and enjoyed PDS! Crazy, I know.

Seconding the recommendation for Die Hard Arcade, fun stuff. If Guardian Heroes is too expensive for the US version, you should be able to get the Japanese version for less. That used to be the case anyway... I've been out of the loop for a while. These days I'm surprised how little Keio Yugekitai goes for and how much (as in, even more) Radiant Silvergun goes for.

re: Typing of the Dead, I also have the wonderful Windows version! In fact, I remember installing it on my computer in the programming lab at some point late in high school... those were good times.

Iron D
3330th Post

"Re(7):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 6 Nov 21:50post reply

The SSFIV thread went off topic and ended up with me mentioning Fighter's Megamix, a game that is so often overlooked. It's fun as hell, let's you play as the Hornet car from Daytona USA (and the unlockable characters only get sillier from there). And when it comes to unlockables, this game has a ton. Plus the single player mode has a neat set-up where you can go through different single player campaigns through themed courses. For instance, there is an all Virtua Fighter course, an all Fighting Viper course, an all women's course, an all boss course, etc.

The only downsides are that the game uses the crappy remixed versions of the VF character's music (taken from VF2, whose original soundtrack is kick ass), and that there is no sense of balance whatsoever in this game. The FV characters are way overpowered compared to the VF characters due to their armor alone. But it is still a hell of a fun game.

Er.....

Tai-Pan
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 6 Nov 22:07post reply

quote:

Ok, I don't know how, but I think I got a good deal on Dragon Force.

Keep in mind that collecting and hunting for Saturn games is nothing but a downward spiral.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Just a Person
1325th Post

"Re(8):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Fri 6 Nov 22:07post reply

quote:
The SSFIV thread went off topic and ended up with me mentioning Fighter's Megamix, a game that is so often overlooked. It's fun as hell, let's you play as the Hornet car from Daytona USA (and the unlockable characters only get sillier from there). And when it comes to unlockables, this game has a ton. Plus the single player mode has a neat set-up where you can go through different single player campaigns through themed courses. For instance, there is an all Virtua Fighter course, an all Fighting Viper course, an all women's course, an all boss course, etc.

The only downsides are that the game uses the crappy remixed versions of the VF character's music (taken from VF2, whose original soundtrack is kick ass), and that there is no sense of balance whatsoever in this game. The FV characters are way overpowered compared to the VF characters due to their armor alone. But it is still a hell of a fun game.

I agree, and as I said in the SSFIV topic, SEGA should make a Fighters Megamix 2. A less technical and serious game than the VF series, to play just for fun, with their iconic characters (like the people from the VF series, Sonic, the Streets of Rage heroes and antiheroes, Alex Kidd, Ulala, the people from Jet Set Radio, etc.).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Count Hihihi
208th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 7 Nov 01:16post reply

quote:

Fighters Megamix and Zero Divide "3" are the main reasons why I still have my Saturn hooked up. I recommend getting both, and maybe Last Bronx too.

I have to end this post by hyping Zero Divide The Final Conflict a little. Unlike the two previous games in the series, this one is actually good. It plays similarly to Fighters Megamix with the added step button. The whole game runs at high resolution and the animation is so incredible you really have to see it in action. Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is awesome.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Pollyanna
2794th Post

"Re(3):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 7 Nov 03:29post reply

quote:

I heartily recommend Guardian Heroes, especially with a multitap and up to 5 friends (for 6 players simultaneous!). It's some of the most fun I've ever had with a videogame.

I love pitting an army of high-level grannies against a low-level last boss. They run SO SLOW, but they kick up dust all the same!

Getting friends (unintentionally) trapped in 200+ hit combos was also fun. I could only say "Sorry! I have a good thing going here! I can't stop now!"

Honestly, that game is so great that it invalidates all other 2D beat-em-ups to me. The genre died (beautifully) with its creation. (I wouldn't mind being proved wrong, though...)

I bought a Saturn a few years ago for that game, Devil Summoner and Tengai Makyou IV. Tengai Makyou IV is a brilliant piece of work in so many ways (vomiting sprites!), but it's just no fun to play at all. When I was younger, I could sift through a mediocre RPG for the plot alone, but these days, a simplistic system can only be forgiven if the game is tremendously well balanced.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Hagen de Merak
1043th Post

"Re(7):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 7 Nov 05:43post reply

quote:

Ok, I don't know how, but I think I got a good deal on Dragon Force.

Keep in mind that collecting and hunting for Saturn games is nothing but a downward spiral.

You're telling me, buddy.

Btw, is that a figure of Camus doing the Aurora Execution in your avatar?

karasu99
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Sega Saturn Games" , posted Sat 7 Nov 07:11post reply

quote:

I agree, and as I said in the SSFIV topic, SEGA should make a Fighters Megamix 2. A less technical and serious game than the VF series, to play just for fun, with their iconic characters (like the people from the VF series, Sonic, the Streets of Rage heroes and antiheroes, Alex Kidd, Ulala, the people from Jet Set Radio, etc.).

I, too, am a big fan of FMM. It was like a much less technical, semi-unselfconscious distillation of Virtua Fighter, and I loved Fighting Vipers at the time (Fighting Vipers 2, for the DC, is another story entirely). And yes, I really loved the bonus characters.

A FMM2 would be great, but I suspect that its likelihood is pretty slim, sadly-- maybe just below the likelihood of NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2. We can maybe view Sega Tennis Superstars as the modern equivalent of the 'teamup' fighter of yesteryear. But then again, Sega's decision making has been so sideways for so long that I guess anything's possible.