Joe Randel
376th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 01:45post reply

quote:
Self explanatory:

http://www.axcessnews.com/technology_021005a.shtml

nude DOAXVB? You've sparked my interest... Why have I not heard of this before?

My law abiding side is with the lawyers, and yet my perverted side...

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Shin_ATproof
1142th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 06:26post reply

Damn Xbox owners that payed for their Xbox and for their copy of DOAXVB and for making/using non-profit mods. For they are truly the scum of society.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

GekigangerV
1055th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 06:42post reply

They mention a similar lawsuit related to DOA2 at the bottom of the article. I was never aware of a lawsuit, but is the hack they are talking about the gameshark code that allowed you to use the nude Kasumi model from the intro of the game? If it is then that is weird because Temco designed that model themselves and it is visible.

crazymike
1077th Post

"Re(4):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 07:09post reply

This is all ridiculous. Doesn't Tecmo even realize that they probably sold a few thousand MORE units because of 13 year old kids with raging hormones eager to use the nude patch?

Undead Fred
2115th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 07:33post reply

quote:
Damn Xbox owners that payed for their Xbox and for their copy of DOAXVB and for making/using non-profit mods. For they are truly the scum of society.

Yeah, I don't really get this lawsuit... I could see the DOA2 guy getting sued because he was SELLING copies of DOA2 with the naked Kasumi in it (at least, that's how I had heard it), but these guys just made the nude versions available and let people download them.

DONT YOU DARE CUSTOMIZE OUR GAME WITH HALF NAKED GIRLS IN IT OR YOU WILL BE PROSTITUTED PROSECUTED

Fuchikoma
1209th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 07:46post reply

Nude patches are nothing new... I don't see why there's a big stink about this... I mean what would the sims be without the nude skins... why else play the pc versions of GTA? why to walk around in a city of naked women... then kill them of course. Hell even Return to Castle Wolfenstein wouldn't have been as fun without killing topless nazi assassins... I guess they're just not used to this on the console side of things. That makes me wonder though... when the hell are they going to do some nude skins for Rumble Roses?

Undead Fred
2118th Post

"Re(5):Nude DOAXVB = Pwned" , posted Sat 12 Feb 09:06:post reply

quote:
Nude patches are nothing new... I don't see why there's a big stink about this... I mean what would the sims be without the nude skins... why else play the pc versions of GTA? why to walk around in a city of naked women... then kill them of course. Hell even Return to Castle Wolfenstein wouldn't have been as fun without killing topless nazi assassins... I guess they're just not used to this on the console side of things. That makes me wonder though... when the hell are they going to do some nude skins for Rumble Roses?

I just can't wait until companies sue everyone so much that people are too scared to even turn on their TV's without express written consent from the makers of the TV and their local cable provider.

EDIT: I don't remember who said it, but yeah, there are too many "scare stories" and bad news going around here recently... "EA Killed Your Favorite Game Company" and "RIAA Sues More Children."

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Sat 12 Feb 09:12]

Moo
0th Post

New Customer

"Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 10:45post reply

I'd like to point out that the nude patch was only one of many (non-nude and non-profit) modifications for Tecmo's Dead or Alive games.

Tecmo seems to be emphasising the nudity to give the defendants bad publicity. The lawsuit refers to defamation of their "wholesome" characters, even though the original games have nudity and Itagaki once stated in an interview with CVG.com that he didn't care about the nude patch.

I followed the modification progress for a short time and used some of their utilities to convert a model from Dead or Alive 3 to another game, but that was a long while ago, so it wasn't until very recently that I found out about the lawsuit.

More accurate and unbiased details and discussion on the lawsuit can be found in this ongoing thread. Please feel free to give your support:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=347209

Also, if you're interested, please visit this site for images of some of the skins that Tecmo plans to sue each and every skin distributor for:

http://www.homegamers.com/doacentral/Gallery/GalleryNinjaHacker.aspx

Among them are skins of characters from Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Darkstalkers/Vampire, Resident Evil/BioHazard, Doom 3, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Naruto.

Undead Fred
2119th Post

"Re(1):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 12:33post reply

Is this coming from Tecmo USA, or Tecmo Japan? It's actually sounding like a Tecmo USA suit... seeing as how Itagaki doesn't care about the patch in a game that already features nudity, and the way that article in the first post is worded... it's sounding like a case of the Japanese company that MADE the game totally doesn't care, but the US distributor wants an excuse to dig through people's pockets.

Moo
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 13:02post reply

It seems that it was Tecmo USA, but who knows?

I heard that the modders had made some large advancements in Dead or Alive Ultimate just before the lawsuit. Some people feel that they might have delved too deep and somehow caught Tecmo's attention.

Gojira
1624th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 15:40post reply

The problem is the internet and everyone knows it. It's the reason companies are edgey and the reason piracy and modding are rampant with hardly anything being done about it. But there's nothing you can do about the internet now; it's like trying to get a freeway removed. So instead they go after people here and there to discourage modders, hackers and pirates from getting too comfortable. Does it work? Who knows... I think maybe it does sometimes, but there's no way to tell, really.

Off with your nose

mbisonhatclub
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 17:34post reply

The M. Bison Hat Club wishes to express its gratitude for the Americans in their participation of the grand scheme of economics and fighting against the real enemy--that is, people causing economic downfall, because some of that money goes the the M.Bison cartel. When you say how 9/11 affected the economy, it touches my heart that our cartel is put into consideration

Fuchikoma
1210th Post

"Re(5):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 18:28post reply

According to 1-up, Tecmo has successfully won lawsuits in Japan over this kind of thing... so obviously Itagaki does care, he doesn't want people screwing with his baby. It's a damn shame too, some of those ninjahacker skins looked incredible! Chun-Li's alpha costume for Lei-Fang, that Morrigan skins, and even that Kenshiro skin... wow, much better than I would have thought. I don't think Tecmo understands the mod community... mods really add longevity to a game. Look how long Half-Life has been going because of the mods... although since Tecmo really didn't design the game to accept mods... yeah it's technically hacking. But damn man... my interest is up there now... I might just have to grab an X-box when they drop to $99... in the meantime I better snag those skins while I still can.

Shin_ATProof
1143th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 22:34post reply

quote:
some of those ninjahacker skins looked incredible! Chun-Li's alpha costume for Lei-Fang, that Morrigan skins, and even that Kenshiro skin... wow, much better than I would have thought.

Agreed...
One of my friends showed me that skin...my jaw dropped and I had to get a clean pair of shorts. That was by far the coolest skin mod, ever. I need to get an Xbox so I can get that.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Undead Fred
2120th Post

"Re(6):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sat 12 Feb 23:31post reply

quote:
According to 1-up, Tecmo has successfully won lawsuits in Japan over this kind of thing...
I was under the impression that they won simply because the guy that had modded one of their games (DOA2, if we're thinking of the same example) was SELLING COPIES OF THE MODDED GAME, not just the fact that he had modded it.

I don't understand why patching or modding the game for fun but not charging anything for it is a problem. Those who buy the console and the game they're modding should be allowed to do whatever they like with it. If the modders aren't selling it, and people OBVIOUSLY know it's a mod skin, then why do they care?

Fuchikoma
1211th Post

"Re(7):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 03:46post reply

This lawsuit might be having an entirely different effect than what tecmo thought. All I see now is that this is free advertisement for the x-box modding scene... I had no idea this DOA stuff was going on... and now most of the guys who were doing those DOA skins are now doing Soul Calibur 2 skins... even a Kasumi skin for Taki. I actually now have a real justification to buy an X-box... thanks Ninjahacker!

Gojira
1625th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 07:26post reply

quote:

I don't understand why patching or modding the game for fun but not charging anything for it is a problem. Those who buy the console and the game they're modding should be allowed to do whatever they like with it. If the modders aren't selling it, and people OBVIOUSLY know it's a mod skin, then why do they care?

It doesn't matter if you charge for it or not. If you modify copyrighted material and distribute it publicly it's a violation of copyright. You're welcome to screw with it all you want in the privacy of your own home, but putting it on the net is clear public distribution, and that's illegal.

Off with your nose

Undead Fred
2121th Post

"Re(8):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 10:35post reply

quote:
It doesn't matter if you charge for it or not. If you modify copyrighted material and distribute it publicly it's a violation of copyright. You're welcome to screw with it all you want in the privacy of your own home, but putting it on the net is clear public distribution, and that's illegal.

I still just don't get why that's violating copyright. It's not that I don't understand that the laws are written that way, but I just don't understand that law, I guess. Especially since it's perfectly okay and encouraged to make modifications and distribute them on certain games (the Sims, old Doom, new Doom, and so on and so on), but then certain games you're not allowed to modify them, even if you know how?

Gojira
1626th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 12:50post reply

quote:

I still just don't get why that's violating copyright. It's not that I don't understand that the laws are written that way, but I just don't understand that law, I guess. Especially since it's perfectly okay and encouraged to make modifications and distribute them on certain games (the Sims, old Doom, new Doom, and so on and so on), but then certain games you're not allowed to modify them, even if you know how?

If the company wants to allow it, they can. They have the ability to look the other way, after all. Unfortunately that's giving everyone the wrong idea about what other companies will allow. Not all of them put generic characters in their games so you can freely remove them; some are very invested with their characters and don't like them to be messed with.

Off with your nose

Ammadeau
1282th Post

"Re(9):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 15:44:post reply

quote:
I still just don't get why that's violating copyright.

Pop in any Team Ninja xbox game and read the legal notice that comes up right at the beginning. Explains things pretty clearly.

I think the hackers did some great work overall, some of the costumes are better than the ones that came with the games, but they were warned and they were given plenty of time to play around before Tecmo stepped in.

Got Next - it's a gaming site I write stupid things for

[this message was edited by Ammadeau on Sun 13 Feb 15:45]

Burning Ranger
1058th Post

"Re(1):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 16:14post reply

quote:

I followed the modification progress for a short time and used some of their utilities to convert a model from Dead or Alive 3 to another game, but that was a long while ago, so it wasn't until very recently that I found out about the lawsuit.

??? What did you do? You took a DOA3 character model and put it in a different game? I'm curious to know if other models from other games have been "ripped" and put into other games (I'd like to see SOlid Snake ported to Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tourney 2k4). What did you do?

quote:

Also, if you're interested, please visit this site for images of some of the skins that Tecmo plans to sue each and every skin distributor for:

http://www.homegamers.com/doacentral/Gallery/GalleryNinjaHacker.aspx

Among them are skins of characters from Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Darkstalkers/Vampire, Resident Evil/BioHazard, Doom 3, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Naruto.

Some of these are good. I wonder if character moves and mechanics can also be modded.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."

Moo
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Sun 13 Feb 18:31:post reply

quote:
Pop in any Team Ninja xbox game and read the legal notice that comes up right at the beginning. Explains things pretty clearly.

Not that this is directly related, but I've heard that the European versions don't have the federal notice.

quote:

??? What did you do? You took a DOA3 character model and put it in a different game? I'm curious to know if other models from other games have been "ripped" and put into other games (I'd like to see SOlid Snake ported to Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tourney 2k4). What did you do?

It was after somebody ported Dead or Alive X-treme VolleyBall's Tina to Unreal Tournament 2004 that I found out it was possible and started my own conversion. I ported Ayane's black ninja costume model from Dead or Alive 3 to Unreal Tournament 2004, although I didn't post it anywhere.

I've kind of lost interest in Unreal Tournament 2004, so I haven't been paying much attention to it lately, but some people have ported models from Doom 3 and Half Life 2 to Unreal Tournament 2004.

If you wanted Solid Snake to be ported, you would probably have to find a way to decode Konami's data format and 3d mesh/texture data first.

quote:

Some of these are good. I wonder if character moves and mechanics can also be modded.

If I heard correctly, the modders had just figured out the animation format for one of the Dead or Alive games and were swapping the animations/movesets when the lawsuit hit.

[this message was edited by Moo on Sun 13 Feb 18:36]

Burning Ranger
1059th Post

"Re(3):Not just DOAXVB and not just nudity." , posted Mon 14 Feb 07:58post reply

quote:

Not that this is directly related, but I've heard that the European versions don't have the federal notice.

It was after somebody ported Dead or Alive X-treme VolleyBall's Tina to Unreal Tournament 2004 that I found out it was possible and started my own conversion. I ported Ayane's black ninja costume model from Dead or Alive 3 to Unreal Tournament 2004, although I didn't post it anywhere.

I've kind of lost interest in Unreal Tournament 2004, so I haven't been paying much attention to it lately, but some people have ported models from Doom 3 and Half Life 2 to Unreal Tournament 2004.

If you wanted Solid Snake to be ported, you would probably have to find a way to decode Konami's data format and 3d mesh/texture data first.

If I heard correctly, the modders had just figured out the animation format for one of the Dead or Alive games and were swapping the animations/movesets when the lawsuit hit.

I was actually hoping for some Halo-based levels in UT2k4... but alas no luck.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"In the brightest day in the darkest night..."