[an error occurred while processing this directive] [poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message ([an error occurred while processing this directive] Views )[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Juke Joint Jezebel
3180th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 21:02:post reply

Guymelef: let me play metroids before i go to bed
Guymelef: aka Zelda in space
Jingoro with Chain: wtf it's nothing like ZELDA
Guymelef: OMG, dont let nintendo BLIND YOU
Jingoro with Chain: give me three similarities between the two games
Guymelef: in both games you go around collecting items that help you further your quest (ie Grappling Hook and Hook shot ect.)! the lay-out of the world is the same in both games in that there are no real "levels", everything is right in front of you, you just need the right items to reach that specific spot/area/room. You even find similar items ex: Life tanks in metroid and Heart Pieces in Zelda! im telling you its a conspiracy
Guymelef: they just try to distinguish the two games by changing the perspective in which they are played
Jingoro with Chain: ohh
Jingoro with Chain: kinda like how Contra is just Mario with guns?
Guymelef: nono, the gameplay of the contra is diffrent than marios. contra is alot fast amoung other things
Jingoro with Chain: no way, man. aliens are just goombas with claws
Guymelef: and im not saying Zelda and Metroid are EXACTLY the same just that they share a lot of similar "design ideas"
Guymelef: stop mocking me
Jingoro with Chain: turtle boss the first boss in SNES Contra -- the final boss in Mario is a giant turtle ------- ???? can you see where i'm going with this?
Guymelef: lol
Guymelef: if they ever give Link a gun or Samus a sword you'll start to see what im talking about
Jingoro with Chain: i think Samus does have an attack where she fights with some sort of "light saber", and Link's been able to shoot a crapload of projectiles - the bow and arrow and that "sword shot" when he has full health and his final sword
Jingoro with Chain: hey you're right! Samus can drop bombs when she's in a miniball. and Link THROWS bombs!
Guymelef: no damn it!
Jingoro with Chain: also, kof and Mortal Kombat are the same
Guymelef: but they both find items that power up the bombs!
Guymelef: "SUPER" bobms
Jingoro with Chain: they both have a select screen, stages, and martial arts
Jingoro with Chain: not to mention the characters
Guymelef: now wait
Guymelef: comparing fighting games is just stupid
Jingoro with Chain: now we're getting somewhere
Guymelef: every fighting game pretty much stems from SF2
Jingoro with Chain: they both have fireballs
Jingoro with Chain: that's all i'm saying
Guymelef: lets try to leave this on Metroid and Zelda
Jingoro with Chain: i mean, they punch, they kick, the similarites are uncanny!
Guymelef: next you'll start talking about RPGs (which im suprised you didnt already)
Jingoro with Chain: i was saving it for last but Final Fight and Final Fantasy have a thousand similarities
Guymelef: your right, kof and MK are the same
Guymelef: just like Zelda and metroid are similar
Jingoro with Chain: i am going to post this somewhere so people can bring this discussion to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL
Guymelef: do s you wish
Jingoro with Chain: i'd bite you if you were within range

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Sun 19 Sep 21:20]

Replies:

deisied
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 21:09post reply

ehhhhhhhhh more or less true, but it doesn't really mean much. They both share similar nintendo design senses and they both have similar principles, well they used to anyway. it's not really a bad thing, not sure why anyone would want to argue it. anyway...guess i'll pick the wacky option this time.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3179th Post

"Re(2):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 21:16post reply

quote:
it's not really a bad thing, not sure why anyone would want to argue it.

i'm trying to prove to Guymelef that fisting causes brain damage. lemme redo that poll

Dr Baghead
3240th Post

"Re(1):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 22:23post reply

So this means:
-the Metroid Prime series is "Hexen in Space" (people remember 'Hexen' right? stupid Fantasy D&D based FPS?... I assume that's the FPS shoter version of Zelda, since both are sorta RPGish in character themes but not RPG's)
-Tomb Raider is just "Zelda CDi 4 through 97" (aka "Zelda in Space on Land that really sucks" since after all Tomb Raider is nothing but "Copying Metroid but doing it poorly")
-Kid Icarus is "Zelda on Land"

I read on GameFAQ's once someone trying to explain that which ever GBA Castlevania had you collect the power up cards was like "a 2D Phantasy Star On-Line!" since "you level up, you collect power up cards, you unlock new areas!"....

yeah it's not funny

deisied
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 22:31post reply

uh, except metroid and zelda actually are kinda similar.

different thought processes eventually pulled it in fairly largely different directions, and i'm not a fan of actually saying, omg zpacezelda, ripzoff, but i could argue for it if i had to.

Dr Baghead
3241th Post

"Re(3):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 22:50post reply

quote:
uh, except metroid and zelda actually are kinda similar.

except they're nothing a like unless taken out of context.

It's like saying DoAX is "Monster Rancher on the Beach"

-both are Tecmo games, but made by different teams
-largely menu driven
-involves gifts and food to make characters happy/friendly
-in MR4 you could buy accessories to dress up your monster, much like you can do in DoAX
-there are mini-games, which aren't so much 'mini-games' as they are a waste of time, some of which give you money as well but not so much money they're worth playing over a 'battle'
-you can let the character "relax"
-keeps track of time in 'days'
-at the start of each day someone will tell you something along the lines of "Hey! Ready to start the day!"
-at times someone will visit your house/room to give you something
-and most importantly: the main point of the game is a 'battle' mode that involves nothing more then mashing one or two buttons and judging your distance from your opponent.

see! and that's waaaaaay more in common then Metroid and Zelda!

yeah it's not funny

Juke Joint Jezebel
3180th Post

"Re(4):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 22:59post reply

i like to think that i've made a difference today

deisied
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 23:27post reply

i didn't actually want to that bad. but sure let's do this.

oh, and the difference between your crap up there is i'm actually thinking in ideas and thought processes not "triangle is cancel in both this and this game!" Basically, think of it as, if someone was sitting in front of the original metroid, and thinking of it from the original zelda, as far as designing an experience goes.

The original games are both relatively "quiet" games. Eventually Zelda strayed more and has small towns and such, and even the first zelda had the old guy and such, but both were relatively visual-driven. Metroid way more ruthless as far as visual cues go probably, and less in a way, since many things in metroid are invisible. Though it still amounts to the same thing because Zelda uses audio cues in the ways metroid uses visual cues, or invisible things.

They both use enemies the same way. Neither are actually action games, though just about every room has enemies, and you can obtain powerups. Neither game rewards you developmentally for killing enemies at all, metroid - healing/missiles, zelda - cizzash. there's really no reason to fight in either game besides to fill out the experience. The only other reason enemies are there are part of or to get in the way of-

Puzzles, they both share the same function and mindset. You have a relatively open world, and you slowly (through your own merits or because you have to) find fun things that let you into some other corner of the world. That doesn't sound very descriptive, but it's because even though they're crucial to passing the game, they're not as much(though more in recent zeldas) linear dungeons where you sit in one room until you figure out some stupid wall puzzle and then move to the next room, "puzzles" usually involves enemies or the environment in some other way, and span a large area.

Which ties into exploration being the main theme of both and being done similarly, bombing being deeper in metroid probably, it takes place in both for about the same reasons, zelda bombwalls often only open a single room with a prize though.

Enemies, puzzles, and environments are used in both to make crappy rooms where you have to kill stuff to move on since the point of the game is just to get items that let you get places, they have to force gameplay on your somehow.
--------------------------
The main difference?
Dungeons vs Worlds probably. Dungeons are way more closed off and less flowing, metroid is more like a giant multi part dungeon that you have to refer to different parts of at different times.

the main theme difference, metroid is more suspenseful in it's use of everything, from enemies to music. zelda is more adventure than exploration.

the main gameplay difference, metroid became more dynamic as far as movement goes, perspective changes a lot about the way the game is played, if metroid was overhead for some reason it'd probably be zelda as hell.

The main story difference, Samus is just a badass, Link is a dumb princess saving guy.

Anyway, hardly the same game, but you could imagine people playing them for similar reasons, or people who like one could easily like the other. Well, people who aren't jackasses. Though like I said, they're gone in their own directions quite a bit at this point. Still, these two games are why nintendo fans are nintendo fans, most nintendo games in general have a similar, and quite clever, design sense, it's nothing to OMGZ about.

deisied
166th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 23:29post reply

and really, you're right. doax is just hot pokemon.

Dragon-warrior
1180th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 23:36post reply

keeping it short
mario = italian + gravity = jump
Zelda = Gravity = no jump
Metroid = space = no gravity = super jump
see big difference.

deisied
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Sun 19 Sep 23:38post reply

I almost want to make Italian + Gravity = Jump into a sig.

oh yeah and Metroid ripped off the Matrix

Kaepora
393th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 00:21post reply

I used to mention Metroid (among a couple other "iffy" games) when someone started up the "Zelda is/isn't an RPG" argument on the GameFAQs boards. It was kind of funny, actually, because the points that most people used to argue that Zelda is an RPG also worked for Metroid. But they didn't seem too happy about it for some reason.

And Hexen rocked.
Heretic was just Medeivil Doom, and Hexen II wasn't as good as the first one though.

Iggy
4593th Post

"Re(2):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 00:36post reply

quote:
-Kid Icarus is "Zelda on Land"

Actually, it's more like "Zelda in the sky and sometimes on land".
So Kid Icarus is standing between Zelda and Metroid, like a corpse that get repeatedly raped by two hungry zombies in turn.

Damn, why can't Icarus appear at least in a Smashbro game ?

Sakuranbo
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 05:40post reply

quote:
I used to mention Metroid (among a couple other "iffy" games) when someone started up the "Zelda is/isn't an RPG" argument on the GameFAQs boards. It was kind of funny, actually, because the points that most people used to argue that Zelda is an RPG also worked for Metroid. But they didn't seem too happy about it for some reason.

And Hexen rocked.
Heretic was just Medeivil Doom, and Hexen II wasn't as good as the first one though.

Does all of this means that Symphony of the night (and the GBA Catslevania games) is Zelda in a gothic-horror castle ?

I mean, I can see where the comparison comes from, but still, there are big differences between the two titles gameplay wise. Specialy regarding the item gestion. Where in Metroid you almost always keep using all of the news items/upgrades once you get them, in Zelda, there is a lot (too much) of one-use item. It is always some kind of frustrating, when you finish a Zelda game with all the possible equiment, to think that the last part you got was only used on a single purpose.

And Hexen sucked

わしは旅の僧、錯乱坊。
チェリーとよんでくだされ。

deisied
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 11:58post reply

true about the item usage there, zelda never figured it out. but i think that's part of the adventure over explore thing, they think you feel like you just did something important if you have a nice filled up equipment screen or something.

Anyway everyone always goes, damn well does this mean this game is this game and this game is THIS game!? Well kinda, there are genres after all, and if you pay attention, most things aren't that mindblowingly creative. Most games just bring their own personality to the same basic genre. A lot of games are gonna be plenty similar, it's not okay, but people gotta relax about the idea of that.

Guymelef
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 12:06post reply

quote:
Does all of this means that Symphony of the night (and the GBA Catslevania games) is Zelda in a gothic-horror castle ?

No. SotN is like Metroid in a Gothic-horror castle, but anyone can see the obvious similarities of these two games and the influence the latter has had on the former. But when I compare Zelda with Metroid people flip out and want to "bite me".
Maybe its just some dilusion im fixated on, but while im playing Metroid Prime wandering lost (screw you hint system) in some Ancient Temple and run into a room with the Ice beam and the camera zooms out showing a posing Samus showing off her new weapon, i cant help but think of Zelda:Ocarina of time .

Sano
1159th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 12:56post reply

With me, the difference is that Zelda became kiddified with Part 3 and beyond, Metroid remained serious. When those damn Cuckoos showed up in Zelda 3, it was all downhill from there. Next thing you know, Link became Snow White talking to Animals and what not and in his final incarnation he looks like a Smurf on crack. I hope in the next Zelda Game where Link looks serious, the series returns to it's more adult routes of Zelda 1 and 2.

I still like all Zelda Games, don't get me wrong, but I want one more as adult looking as Zelda 2. So the big difference between Metroid and Zelda - Miyamoto hasn't gotten around to ruining it yet.

deisied
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 13:14post reply

metroidzz hella kiddie too because the part in super metroid where those cute aliens jump! oh man miyamotoz

Juke Joint Jezebel
3182th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 15:55post reply

quote:
With me, the difference is that Zelda became kiddified with Part 3 and beyond, Metroid remained serious. When those damn Cuckoos showed up in Zelda 3, it was all downhill from there. Next thing you know, Link became Snow White talking to Animals and what not and in his final incarnation he looks like a Smurf on crack. I hope in the next Zelda Game where Link looks serious, the series returns to it's more adult routes of Zelda 1 and 2.

I still like all Zelda Games, don't get me wrong, but I want one more as adult looking as Zelda 2. So the big difference between Metroid and Zelda - Miyamoto hasn't gotten around to ruining it yet.

Eric? how many accounts do you have?

Dr Baghead
3242th Post

"Re(6):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 17:48post reply

quote:
and really, you're right. doax is just hot pokemon.

So then you're saying DoAX is a Metroid clone then?

(explaining:
-DoAX IS Monster Rancher
-your statement above means Monster Rancer IS Pokemon
-Pokemon and Zelda share far more similarities then Zelda and Metroid so Pokemon IS Zelda
-Zelda is Metroid not in space!

ergo, DoAX has similarities to Metroid!!!!

this is the stupidest thing I've ever had to discuss on this board... and I've tried to make conversation with T.E. before so that's really saying something.)

yeah it's not funny

RugalBernstein
5191th Post

"Re(7):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 19:33post reply

GTA 3 is just Super Mario Brothers. They both have Italians, so it's obvious.

Best site EVER: Link Here

deisied
175th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 21:05post reply

Baghead-

i'm not saying anything that extreme, and you don't seem to understand the nature of this. you keep taking everything like a HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT, kinda thing. I'm NOT SAYING METROID COPIED ZELDA, or that they're the same game, or whatever the hell you think. Again, I wish people would read all of the words I type, and the hot pokemon thing was a joke. I expect people to be able to retain the ability to use humor even when omg their world is crashing down around them at the idea that a couple games have similar DESIGN SENSIBILITIES. it's worse than 9-11 omgz.

Pokemon and zelda have nearly zero design sensibilities in common. Even if you're trying to be sarcastic, if you actually think that at all even for the sake of argument, then it's not that you disagree with me, it's that you don't seem to understand what I'm saying. So...yep.

Dr Baghead
3243th Post

"Re(9):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 21:24post reply

quote:
Pokemon and zelda have nearly zero design sensibilities in common.

Are you on crack?! Pokemon and Zelda HAVE THE EXACT SAME DESIGN SENSIBLILITIES

the only differences:
-in Zelda combat is real time, in Pokemon it is turn based
-in Zelda you need certain items (ie: gloves, swimboots, etc.) to get to new areas, in Pokemon you need either an item (ie, Snorlax flute, Pokedex) OR a Pokemon with a speical ablity (ie: swim, fly)

Same perspective, same type of gameplay, same felling to the gameplay, you get to talk to villages and buy items that aren't very useful.... honestly if Minish Cap had Link wander around Palette Town no one would think anything was a miss.

I don't think you understand what you're saying, arguing Zelda and Metroid are similar in anyway yet not seeing the clear cut similarities between Zelda and Pokemon.

yeah it's not funny

deisied
177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 21:29post reply

pokemon ripped off the matrix

Dr Baghead
3244th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 21:54post reply

quote:
pokemon ripped off the matrix

Indeed

and what's up with the Fire Red and Leaf Green commericals having kids whistfully recite the Team Rocket Motto?

I know it's ambigous enough to sound heroic if you remove "Jessie! James!/Team Rocket Blast Off At the Speed Of Light!" (and if you're a stickler also "Meowth! that's Right" and whatevever the fuck noise Wobbafett makes) but all they wanted it for was "Surrender Now Or Prepare To Fight!" to promote the wireless link up....

anyway my point is... why do commericals use songs (or this case a montra) out of context for one line?

the two other examples I can think off the top of my head are 'Dicky Roberts: Former Child Star'using "Life Styles of the Rich and the Famous" in it's commericals and cut out all the lyrics except the song title, and car commericals often use "Walking on the Sun" cutting out all the lyrics but "don't delay act now, supplies are running out" and "Might as Well Be Walking On the Sun".... in both cases the theme of the commerical is the exact opposite of the song, you'd someone out there would be able to find a song that matched a movie/sales deal without needing to delete lyrics so they sorta fit (also did a Bad Santa commerical start off with 'the Hunuka song'? I could have sworn that's where the tone and line "IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME" came from)

yeah it's not funny

deisied
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Mon 20 Sep 22:03post reply

it's channukah. but anyway, i know what you mean, i could actually talk about it for years, but luckily i've burned most short term memory-related examples out of my head, but it's something i pay far too much attention to. the otherside to that pissing me off is companies (usually car) that insist on having this themeish song in all their commercials that you can't understand ANY of the lyrics to, how the hell is that supposed to be catchy, and it's annoying as hell sounding.

But yeah the team rocket theme thing...that's...ouch. I mean, kewl!

Grahf
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Commercials (somehow)" , posted Mon 20 Sep 22:20post reply

The most annoying examples to me are things like the patriotic blue jean ads that only play "...oh the Red, White and Blue" from CCR's Fortunate Son. The song is about the hypocricy of America; the "Red, White and Blue" line is almost sarcastic.

Also, don't forget the Republicans using Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A. as their theme song. The song is about the Vietnam war, and, again, the "Born in the U.S.A." line is supposed to be sarcastic.

Iggy
4601th Post

"Re(1):Commercials (somehow)" , posted Tue 21 Sep 01:18post reply

It reminds me that thing about the US Navy thinking about using "In the Navy" in a commercial or whatever.
But someone discovered it was actually an hymn to the sodomy on a boat just in time.

deisied
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Commercials (somehow)" , posted Tue 21 Sep 01:21post reply

Post of the week

Hungrywolf
2965th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):[poll] Metroid = Zelda in Space?" , posted Tue 21 Sep 07:52post reply

quote:

I couldn't disagree more.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Dr Baghead
3246th Post

"Re(2):Commercials (somehow)" , posted Tue 21 Sep 20:13post reply

quote:
It reminds me that thing about the US Navy thinking about using "In the Navy" in a commercial or whatever.
But someone discovered it was actually an hymn to the sodomy on a boat just in time.

but that's not really the same... unless I've forgetten/never heard part of the song "In the Navy" never says out right it's about sodomy on a boat, it's either implied by the lyrics or just assumed since it's by the village people (unless like "learn science techonolgy" is slang or something)

So that *could* have been okay if people took it at face value and didn't think about the lyrics too much.

(and to respond to the title... we got to the subject of commericals thanks to Baghead's Super "this 'arguement' is boring, I'll spin into..." attack, it requires a full special meter and lives to be in the red to pull off.)

yeah it's not funny

deisied
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Commercials (somehow)" , posted Tue 21 Sep 23:02post reply

stop ruining shit iggy says, ass.

Iggy
4637th Post

"Re(3):Commercials (somehow)" , posted Wed 22 Sep 01:30post reply

quote:
but that's not really the same... unless I've forgetten/never heard part of the song "In the Navy" never says out right it's about sodomy on a boat, it's either implied by the lyrics or just assumed since it's by the village people (unless like "learn science techonolgy" is slang or something)

So that *could* have been okay if people took it at face value and didn't think about the lyrics too much.

Yeah, maybe you're right. It's just that the part "WE WANT YOU, WE WANT YOU, WE WANT YOU AS A CAPTAIN CREW" is said by such a scary chorus it imediately makes me think of a simulation of a gang rape in the frightening closed environement of a ship sailing in the middle of the ocean, where you would have to show Solid-Harumi level skills to survive.